Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 07:41:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ANTMINER S5+ is available to order, 7.722TH/S 0.445J/GH  (Read 40037 times)
mikefallen

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 01:00:54 PM

Has anyone else had an extremely hard time with bitmain support and their s5+?

I received my S5+ with a defective hash card, temp was ambient and it was not hashing. Email bitmain support they give me a prepaid UPS label and i ship it back to them. A MONTH later i get my hash card back (same serial) so they did a repair and 2 weeks later it stopped hashing again. So again i email bitmain and now they say i have to pay for shipping back to them and be without a hash card for another month and they refuse to cross ship me a new hashboard ( by this i mean send me a new one and i send the old one back at the same time)

I have gonna buy 10 S7's but after this i have little confidence in the company.

Huh Huh Huh Huh

Bitcointalk Trading Address: 149cRHxme8kP4grxg2f7cgyYTqGhZzvj6f
Tupsu
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 05:10:47 PM

I received my S5+ with a defective hash card, temp was ambient and it was not hashing. Email bitmain support they give me a prepaid UPS label and i ship it back to them. A MONTH later i get my hash card back (same serial) so they did a repair and 2 weeks later it stopped hashing again. So again i email bitmain and now they say i have to pay for shipping back to them and be without a hash card for another month and they refuse to cross ship me a new hashboard ( by this i mean send me a new one and i send the old one back at the same time)

I have gonna buy 10 S7's but after this i have little confidence in the company.

Huh Huh Huh Huh

Yes. From my 3 x S5+ at the moment  6 board are in china or in journey to China or back.

At first, bitmain refused send UPS shipping label to DOA arrived S5+ . So I paid 120 euro for 2 x shipping. After that I got two blades, which from one had already come out the radiator.
I got  shipping label from bitmain , to send it back and yesterday I sent another 4 blades to china.

I paid a total of more than 200 euro from shipping S5+ blades. Total've sent 6 blades from DOA arrived miner.

Naturally, it affected my S7 purchases. Instead 20x S7 , I bought only four. Even though two of them have not yet been sent, because I paid with USD.

See also this   http://www.cybtc.com/article-1921-1.html
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 05:23:23 PM

Huh Huh Huh Huh

Yes. From my 3 x S5+ at the moment  6 board are in china or in journey to China or back.

At first, bitmain refused send UPS shipping label to DOA arrived S5+ . So I paid 120 euro for 2 x shipping. After that I got two blades, which from one had already come out the radiator.
I got  shipping label from bitmain , to send it back and yesterday I sent another 4 blades to china.

I paid a total of more than 200 euro from shipping S5+ blades. Total've sent 6 blades from DOA arrived miner.

Naturally, it affected my S7 purchases. Instead 20x S7 , I bought only four. Even though two of them have not yet been sent, because I paid with USD.

See also this   http://www.cybtc.com/article-1921-1.html

I guess I am lucky.  I still have not had any problems.   I am using the bitmain PSU's it that what everyone else is using to?

Mine is still hashing away though in my thread I showed like 24 day's of hashing without any issues.   So seems it's hit and miss on good unit.
fullzero
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

View Profile
September 30, 2015, 06:34:18 PM

I also have a good unit that has worked without issue.  It would have been nice to get more than 6x coupons for beta testing their design immediately before S7 release, but it's better than nothing. 

Fellow S5+ owners what sub model do you have? Perhaps we can identify which sub models are good or are likely to have specific problems by comparing our numbers.

Mine is:

V1.4
mikefallen

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 04:57:38 AM

mine is 1.4 aswell and I'm using the bitmaintech 1600w psu's aswell

Bitcointalk Trading Address: 149cRHxme8kP4grxg2f7cgyYTqGhZzvj6f
fullzero
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 08:26:31 AM

I have been running mine with 50% fan at 325.  This keeps them cool enough; and uses less power.  Maybe running the fans at 100% is not a good idea unless your ambient temps are very high.
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 09:55:58 AM

I have been running mine with 50% fan at 325.  This keeps them cool enough; and uses less power.  Maybe running the fans at 100% is not a good idea unless your ambient temps are very high.

With this S5+ software https://bitmaintech.com/support.htm?pid=0072015082210441268325i01T3b0612
it is not possible.

How much is yor fans rpm?
fullzero
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 12:34:05 PM

I loaded the newest S5 firmware onto my S5+ controller ( ports 2,3,6,8 counting from the pcie side work with the S5 firmware loaded ) for the first third and attached an S5 controller to each of the other two thirds.    Wink
Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 12:55:10 PM

I loaded the newest S5 firmware onto my S5+ controller ( ports 2,3,6,8 counting from the pcie side work with the S5 firmware loaded ) for the first third and attached an S5 controller to each of the other two thirds.    Wink

Do not forget, some S5/S5+ burning out, for unknown reasons.
I used only S5+ software and even with this 3 x S5 blade burned out. No signs of burning but marks for overheating are each blades. One PSU switched off , so it saved the other four blades for overheating .  2 blade from this miner were already in China.

This miner was not at my house, because I do not know what exactly happened.

Click to enlarge
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 01:05:05 PM

Wow have seen heatsinks coming off but it looks like those chips got hot enough to desolder themselves.  Smiley

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
fullzero
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 01:21:42 PM

Well I'm not using the S5+ firmware at all; no problems yet. 
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 02:30:28 PM

Wow have seen heatsinks coming off but it looks like those chips got hot enough to desolder themselves.  Smiley

Rich

Uhm wow, is that common? I guess the S5+ isint very "true and tested" if some S5+ burn out and the chip desolver themselves, why? Some surge on the board overfeeding certain chips?

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2015, 04:48:24 PM

Rich

Uhm wow, is that common? I guess the S5+ isint very "true and tested" if some S5+ burn out and the chip desolver themselves, why? Some surge on the board overfeeding certain chips?

It seems to be hit/miss.  Some have had bad luck and wow is that not good on chips coming off.

Others like myself have not had any issues.    I am running it I got to 24 days running straight without issues, would have gotten higher if I did not lose power from eclectic company for upgrades.

Mine is still working great.  Don't know if it is helping but it's in my mining area and I have a good amount of CFM from fans pushing through miners and a good exhust of hot air.
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 06:38:11 PM

Rich

It seems to be hit/miss.  Some have had bad luck and wow is that not good on chips coming off.

Others like myself have not had any issues.    I am running it I got to 24 days running straight without issues, would have gotten higher if I did not lose power from eclectic company for upgrades.

Mine is still working great.  Don't know if it is helping but it's in my mining area and I have a good amount of CFM from fans pushing through miners and a good exhaust of hot air.

Maybe most people without issues are not posting as much, but if you look back through here, and the site Tupsu points out, the people without issues seem to be very few.

I consider myself lucky I only have one fan failure which Bitmain did finally replace, thanks to Yoshi. He does come around.
My unit has always been a low hasher though, and runs fairly consistent poolside at 7.6.
Seeing the reports of the S7 hashrate, my hashing issues are negligent if you compare chip to chip.

Certainly compared to the SP20 advertised 1.7 TH which I've never seen one run at that rate out of the ones I've had, and I tried with decent ambients, the S5+ is closer to maintaining the specification.

What I do not understand is why any of these companies aren't straight up honest at this point. Obviously people are continuing to purchase miners even when they are screwed. Maybe that is why they play this game of saying one thing and doing another?

But I will agree with the other poster and congrats to you notlist3d for winning the S5+ miner and receiving one without issues, yet.

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 06:59:51 PM

Maybe most people without issues are not posting as much, but if you look back through here, and the site Tupsu points out, the people without issues seem to be very few.

I consider myself lucky I only have one fan failure which Bitmain did finally replace, thanks to Yoshi. He does come around.
My unit has always been a low hasher though, and runs fairly consistent poolside at 7.6.
Seeing the reports of the S7 hashrate, my hashing issues are negligent if you compare chip to chip.

Certainly compared to the SP20 advertised 1.7 TH which I've never seen one run at that rate out of the ones I've had, and I tried with decent ambients, the S5+ is closer to maintaining the specification.

What I do not understand is why any of these companies aren't straight up honest at this point. Obviously people are continuing to purchase miners even when they are screwed. Maybe that is why they play this game of saying one thing and doing another?

But I will agree with the other poster and congrats to you notlist3d for winning the S5+ miner and receiving one without issues, yet.

I would agree those who have issues are more likely to come to board then those who have positive experience.    Just is kinda the nature of feedback.

I am still suprised about some of the issues.  I don't disagree looking at them they are not nice to see.   I am not sure if I got lucky or a lot didnt post with positive feedback.   One thing to keep in mind is I think the S5+ originally was meant for data centers but after customers wanted it they eventually sold a limited number to public.

But mine I  feel happy with.  It came clean did not look like it was ran hard, if it was they cleaned it as it was clean.   I have also shared my experience with it running I got to around 25 day's till my power company did a upgrade and power went off.   I have started the count over on how many day's.  But it's still working great as far as my unit.
sloopy

Activity: 700
Merit: 501

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 07:48:45 PM

I would agree those who have issues are more likely to come to board then those who have positive experience.    Just is kinda the nature of feedback.

I am still suprised about some of the issues.  I don't disagree looking at them they are not nice to see.   I am not sure if I got lucky or a lot didnt post with positive feedback.   One thing to keep in mind is I think the S5+ originally was meant for data centers but after customers wanted it they eventually sold a limited number to public.

But mine I  feel happy with.  It came clean did not look like it was ran hard, if it was they cleaned it as it was clean.   I have also shared my experience with it running I got to around 25 day's till my power company did a upgrade and power went off.   I have started the count over on how many day's.  But it's still working great as far as my unit.

Yes, I should make sure I clarify and be fair. I want to be sure people know I am happy with my S5+ purchase. My S5+ did not arrive dirty. I said the fan was the only issue but I also had a heat sink which was unfinished in the sawing process. I'm assuming they were sawed, and my hash is a bit under spec, and if there was a corner store I could go speak with them about these issues I would, but having been exposed to all of the issues people have I have adjusted my expectations of Bitmain and in that regard I will say my S5+ experience was good. Would I do it again knowing what I do now, yes I would. Someone may ask "why? The S7 was released right after" and I would respond with the S7 was announced right after, but most of us are still waiting on it to be delivered and the S5+ was the right choice for me at that time. I do not regret a single S3 purchase, or the S5+. I do regret my S4s and I am about 50-50 on my S5s.

It is not good that I had to lower my expectations because I was spoiled by the SP20 class of hardware, but even then we were told it would hash at 1.7, but I do not regret a single SP20 purchase because of the quality of the hardware and support I received along with the life of these units. They are the energizer bunny of mining equipment in my experiences due to a combination of the aforementioned along with the confidence they implore.

I will throw a but in there though, at least Bitmain is selling to the public and we have an opportunity to stay in the game.
I know sidehack and novac will never release control for big funding, and rightly so, but how amazing would it be to see them rolling out a big boy today? "Take all of my money and here I will sell things and give you more" 

I sincerely do not know how medium size farms are optimistic. Obviously the large farms receive a higher level of support and quality control, but man the medium size guys who are just a level above most of us have got to be hurting. IF you must sell coin to pay the power bill every month I toast you. If I were making decisions based on "have to" versus whatever the hell I feel like I would not have near as much fun. I see the light, the window started to close well before I was on the scene, but I am going to enjoy it and stay at my scale. Don't get me wrong, I would love to pack up and move to Washington, or Mongolia and have a Giant farm to run. I cannot think of anything I would rather be doing (outside of spending quality time with my children obviously), but I would seriously pack up and go. I think it would be an amazing ride and roll of the dice but knowing the manufacturers have the keys to the ecosystem is scary as hell. The knowledge obtained when we pull the curtain back and peek in makes sure there will not be a winner outside of being partnered with or being a manufacturer. By winner I mean making the money required for making a commitment of 5 - 10 years of my life inside a bitcoin mine. No matter how much I love it today, that would begin to wane when all of the stress of buying decisions, equipment availability, down time, etc are involved. I strive for consistency and fun. While my company is a huge challenge, we still have fun every day and I know my skill set will not let me go hungry. In the bitcoin world it doesn't matter how good you are, there are too many straight limiting factors controlled by others. Not so much fun.

But it would damn sure be nice to walk down those rows of flashing lights hopping from one to the other to keep things going, installing new systems, upgrading the power, hooo, hooo HOOO, it is motivating.   

Transaction fees go to the pools and the pools decide to pay them to the miners. Anything else, including off-chain solutions are stealing and not the way Bitcoin was intended to function.
Make the block size set by the pool. Pool = miners and they get the choice.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2015, 11:51:13 PM

I share a lot of the same feelings as  sloopy.    I got rid of some old miners and got a S5+.   So I'm very happy compared to gear I got rid of it's a decent upgrade on efficiency.  No it's no S7 efficiency but I enjoy the extra hash of the S5+.   

Mine was recieved very clean I mean the fan's did not have any dust on them.  Even miners I sold when buying the S5+ I can tell you it was a pain to clean fan's.  It has no X or bad chips.   It runs great and can handle a power outage and turn-on after.   So I consider it a sucess.  It is worth noting I am using the bitmain PSU's and they work great with it.

I do feel sorry for those who had bad luck and have shown bad hashboard's.  But I have a feeling a lot of these S5's went to datacenters and we will never hear from them on quality on a big batch.
SunnyIgor

Activity: 353
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 12:15:44 PM

will it be possible to make these watercooled with c1 s3 s5 waterblocks?
thanks for anyone thaking the time to explore or anwser.

Tupsu
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:46:02 PM

Why is this necessary?
S5 is 0.51J/GH
S5+ is 0.445J/GH

Too little difference, too much of a concern about cooling.

Yesterday I built another water-cooled S5.
2 x S5 in 2 x C1 housing welded together.

4 water blocks .  Only on  the one side is S5 blade and the other side water blocks is  a small radiator of Antminer S3 .
2 x S3 Fan, syscooling  SC-BC2 antiminer cooling kit radiator and pump. All 8 radiator fans work with 7.5 V. Water temp  35 krad Celcius.
S5 software, FANs 1800 RPM  at 34%
Very quiet heater .
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 06:23:22 PM

The cost would make it something not really great for ROI.  With 6 blades you need 3 blocks.   Also you would need housing to put them in.    I'm not really a fan of syscooling but if you were to do it you chances are better off with S5 kit and regular s5's.  Unless you are really good at modding and looking for a project.

But I highly suggest sticking with fan's in most cases.   Just chances of ROI go down when you start to add lots of water cooling gear to it.  Also when it comes to resell it might take a special buyer that want's the water cooling.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: