Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 03:24:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: GLBSE is offline We will update our users on Saturday.  (Read 51495 times)
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 08:56:56 PM

You know, if I got into a situation like this (assuming the regulators are up his ass and he's not pulling some shady bullshit) and was faced with the threat of government force...I would risk my personal safety and just refund people no matter what. The depositors did not enter into a contract with GLBSE in the way he is now trying to force them to.

The most of losses will be from the devaluation of the shares to about zero (I wonder how they will be traded if at all). And Nefario probably cannot refund nowhere near the whole GLBSE capitalization.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 09:07:18 PM

Get ready for it kids, bitcoin is going down the path of specialized criminal enterprise so fast it outstrips belief. The next big disaster is already out there- BFL's and the massive pre-order, that will end up getting the royal shaft in about 30 days.

Ya think?!

I believe that BFL will deliver... If not, it would be a huge blow to bitcoin, one from which it would take months or years to recover. There has been too much pain and suffering these past few months...

I don't think that would be to big a deal really.  A fair amount of money may change hands, but it seems to me like the losers would be relatively few in number and somewhat un-loved to boot.  That is to say, a lot of people (including myself) would feel perhaps some amount of sympathy but also very much that the losers had it coming.

The biggie would be if Mt. Gox packed it in.  Fortunately Mark gives every indication of seeming resistant to such a temptation.  OTOH, it is hard to predict the type of pressure that may come up.

A good selling point for an exchange (and any business which held customer's value) would be a functional 'SCRAM' system whereby with the tap of one big red button, all value would be immediately returned to customer's addys and cleanup could proceed from that state.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 09:34:54 PM

You know, if I got into a situation like this (assuming the regulators are up his ass and he's not pulling some shady bullshit) and was faced with the threat of government force...I would risk my personal safety and just refund people no matter what. The depositors did not enter into a contract with GLBSE in the way he is now trying to force them to.

The most of losses will be from the devaluation of the shares to about zero (I wonder how they will be traded if at all). And Nefario probably cannot refund nowhere near the whole GLBSE capitalization.

I'm really just talking about any BTC currently held by him that is in limbo. While I understand that not being able to trade something on an exchange can lower it's value drastically, I don't think he has any responsibility to keep his website up or reimburse you for losses because of that (in fact, if this wasn't in the terms of conditions of using the site, he's real stupid and opening himself up to huge liabilities). If anything, that falls on the issuers...because if they are legit and out to serve their clients, they can always validate your stake and move their business to another exchange.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 10:40:32 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2012, 11:09:20 PM by Bogart

The biggie would be if Mt. Gox packed it in.

In the classical markets, an entity like this gets labeled Too Big To Fail.

We really could do with having some viable alternatives out there BEFORE we desperately need them.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2012, 11:16:26 PM

Quote from: GLBSE.com
Update:we will begin processing account closures and returning bitcoin later today.

I think this message has been up all day. Has anybody gotten any money back yet?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 12:16:17 AM

I was planning to get fully verified on glbse and launch an IPO... Pretty glad I didn't now.
Personally, more than I'm worried about my own funds on glbse (not a whole lot, about 35BTC) I'm worried about the implications for current asset issuers, who are likely as not violating federal securities law (if US based).

Does anyone have anything about the legal implications of doing a bitcoin IPO in the UK?

GLBSE is in the UK. I think that should answer your question. :-)

If you need to ask what the legal issues are you shouldn't be doing an IPO in the first place.

bitcoinbear

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 12:19:04 AM

I was planning to get fully verified on glbse and launch an IPO... Pretty glad I didn't now.
Personally, more than I'm worried about my own funds on glbse (not a whole lot, about 35BTC) I'm worried about the implications for current asset issuers, who are likely as not violating federal securities law (if US based).

Does anyone have anything about the legal implications of doing a bitcoin IPO in the UK?

If you need to ask what the legal issues are you shouldn't be doing an IPO in the first place.

Seems to have worked for glbse you own: start now, ask lawyer later. Oh, wait, didn't work so well, did it?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Bitcoin Oz

Activity: 686

Wat

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 12:27:07 AM

Seems to have worked for glbse you own: start now, ask lawyer later. Oh, wait, didn't work so well, did it?

The first version of glbse was called "blackmarket". What could go wrong ?

I dont exactly know what drugs nefario was taking that made him think going anywhere near the uk regulatory bodies was a good idea in the first place.

nimda

Activity: 784

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 01:25:41 AM

Boy, this should be a hard lesson. If we as a society are to shift to an anarchist society or even a decentralized economic system, we need to take advice from that sticky in the Newbies section and Trust No One.
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 03:26:28 AM

http://bitcoinweekly.com/articles/interview-with-nefario-founder-of-bitcoin-global

Kiba: What was the most challenging part in developing the GLBSE?

Nefario: Going live...sooner than intended.

What actually happened was I told a few people "hey this is there to play with, let me know what you think", came back a couple of days later and found someone had IPO'd on the exchange over the weekend!

In an instant this turned this project from Alpha testing to LIVE with responsibility. I've never run a service before, and getting used to the responsibility was hard.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
DutchBrat

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 07:54:12 AM

Update:we will begin processing account closures and returning bitcoin later today.

I think this message has been up all day. Has anybody gotten any money back yet?

Maybe they can put up a counter like pira

Maybe they can put up a counter like pirate:

0 / xxx accounts Have been paid ;-)
EskimoBob
Legendary

Activity: 910

Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 12:20:12 PM

I was talking to someone who know about the laws around here (not US) and guess what: Setting up a bazaar (market) to trade some virtual  tokens (BTC is not a currency) is completely OK until legal currency is kept out of the equation.
You say BTC has value in fiat? So do all the stupid game cards that kids collect and trade in some countries. They do not call their collections Co's and themselves CEO and are not selling you a "share of ownership or debt (big bad words) in a INC, LLE, LTD etc". 

American based SEC has NOTHING to do with BTC. BTC is not a security. Only reason they can get upset is if  you keep calling your imaginary "what ever" a real company an keep telling to people,  how you are running a business blaa blaa blaa, dividends, IPO etc.  Then it can be considered as a scam and they (SEC, IRS, FSA, police etc) will get curious.

If you sell tokens for a imaginary team that operates under guidelines X and rewards it's members in those same game tokens (btc) no one cares wtf you do. Start using big words and you are in deep shit. As simple as that.

So. Nefario. Use some SQL magic, rename those moronic contracts to what they really are and open up your token bazaar.
You are running a online shop for trading game tokens to "teams" of imaginary teams of miners and cosmonauts.

While reading what I wrote, use the most friendliest and relaxing voice in your head.
BTW, Things in BTC bubble universes are getting ugly....
ErebusBat

Activity: 560

I am the one who knocks

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 02:01:32 PM

I was talking to someone who know about the laws around here (not US) and guess what: Setting up a bazaar (market) to trade some virtual  tokens (BTC is not a currency) is completely OK until legal currency is kept out of the equation.
You say BTC has value in fiat? So do all the stupid game cards that kids collect and trade in some countries. They do not call their collections Co's and themselves CEO and are not selling you a "share of ownership or debt (big bad words) in a INC, LLE, LTD etc". 

American based SEC has NOTHING to do with BTC. BTC is not a security. Only reason they can get upset is if  you keep calling your imaginary "what ever" a real company an keep telling to people,  how you are running a business blaa blaa blaa, dividends, IPO etc.  Then it can be considered as a scam and they (SEC, IRS, FSA, police etc) will get curious.

If you sell tokens for a imaginary team that operates under guidelines X and rewards it's members in those same game tokens (btc) no one cares wtf you do. Start using big words and you are in deep shit. As simple as that.

So. Nefario. Use some SQL magic, rename those moronic contracts to what they really are and open up your token bazaar.
You are running a online shop for trading game tokens to "teams" of imaginary teams of miners and cosmonauts.

IANAL; however I am pretty sure that won't work and will add on racketeering charges as well.

Often in US law/cases it is the intent that plays a deciding role. AIOTS (Any Idiot Off The Street) would agree that Jimmy was not attempting to operate an illegal exchange.  However would that Same Idiot agree about nefario?  Or would it be painfully obvious that he (nefario) was attempting to game the system and run an illegal exchange?

Also you will not attract 'real' investors or 'real' companies by doing that.  I would like to label this idea the SCAM MULTIPLIER.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle

Signup for CEX.io BitFury exchange and get GHS Instantly!  Don't wait for shipping, mine NOW!
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 02:11:28 PM

When a thread like this gets to be 14 pages long (or more), does anyone actually read EVERY post or do people just read the last few and feel the need to chime in?

Not on here they don't.  A few hundred posts is apparently too many to read to become informed.  Given the relatively short life-span of most things Bitcoin, I guess there's no need to develop a long attention span.

I read them all.
bitcoinbear

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 02:34:20 PM

When a thread like this gets to be 14 pages long (or more), does anyone actually read EVERY post or do people just read the last few and feel the need to chime in?

Not on here they don't.  A few hundred posts is apparently too many to read to become informed.  Given the relatively short life-span of most things Bitcoin, I guess there's no need to develop a long attention span.

I read them all.

I have been watching this thread since it started, so I come back every so often and read all the new posts.

If I come across a long thread that I have not watched from the beginning, I typically read the whole first page and the whole last page, sometimes a couple pages back from the end to get more context for the current discusion.

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1065

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 05:02:08 PM

I'm just quoting this for the future reference. "SQL magic" is a cute euphemism for "obstruction of justice" or "perverting the course of justice". I haven't seen it used before.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
conspirosphere.tk
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 07:16:07 PM

Re: GLBSE is offline We will update our users on Saturday.

I don't care any more about all my assets in GLBSE. All I care from now on is who, how and when will be able to get Nefario(us) convicted.
Maybe this subject is worth of another thread.
DutchBrat

Activity: 868

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 07:58:46 PM

Re: GLBSE is offline We will update our users on Saturday.

I don't care any more about all my assets in GLBSE. All I care from now on is who, how and when will be able to get Nefario(us) convicted.
Maybe this subject is worth of another thread.

To be fair, they did update us

With information that raised more questions

Just like the guy with the eye–patch does
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 09, 2012, 08:07:43 PM

Has anyone received any payouts jet?

Or at least any payout informations?

I suspect no, but just maybe I missed something.

(Even if free BTC are only a fraction of what I have in there)

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2012, 09:15:17 PM

Has anyone received any payouts jet?

Or at least any payout informations?

I suspect no, but just maybe I missed something.

(Even if free BTC are only a fraction of what I have in there)

not yet, still in the dark.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: