Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:15:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC MINING - Newest hardware and the future  (Read 6036 times)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 07:27:11 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2015, 09:57:10 AM by Amph

Home mining is dead. Deal with it!

Maybe for you, but that's just not the truth. People that have cheap electricity are and will still do wonderfully with S5's. And probably the S7 when the price comes down to Earth.

with legit cloud like hashnet everyone can do profit , the problem is the very long roi, which is also true if you work with your own hardware

i mean the long roi put you kind off, because with the instability of bitcoin, you never know how it will end in 5-7-11 months...
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 09:52:11 AM

Home mining is only dead in places with non-cheap electricity, or for folks that insist on actually making money at it.

The only big change is that the classification of "non-cheap" has gotten somewhat narrower in the last year.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
September 13, 2015, 05:14:47 PM

Maybe for you, but that's just not the truth. People that have cheap electricity are and will still do wonderfully with S5's. And probably the S7 when the price comes down to Earth.

with legitc loud like hashnet everyone can do profit , the problem is the very long roi, which is also true if you work with your own hardware

i mean the long roi put you kind off, because with the instability of bitcoin, you never know how it will end in 5-7-11 months...

Absolutely correct, but your returns are much faster, your risk much lower, when your expenses to keep them running is less than half the hosting fee of Hashnest or such. (Typically 0.08$/kWh i believe?)

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 12:02:14 AM

Bitmain already launched their new equipment. Bitmain and its dependent Hashsnest, are the most reliable mining hardware company in the industry!
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 10:05:13 AM

If you have very cheap electricity, home mining is fairly profitable. If you have high electricity cost (around 0.1/kWh). It's going to be hard, with the S7 being so expensive.

The very sad part for home miners is that 10 cent electric is NOT "high", it's actually a bit lower than average - at least in the USA.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 05:42:22 PM

If you have very cheap electricity, home mining is fairly profitable. If you have high electricity cost (around 0.1/kWh). It's going to be hard, with the S7 being so expensive.

The very sad part for home miners is that 10 cent electric is NOT "high", it's actually a bit lower than average - at least in the USA.

It's not high from one American's perspective, but it's pretty high from a global perspective. Basically the biggest competitor is China, so that has to be the standard. Its hard to say exactly how much they pay because its heavily subsidized but it's probably a few cents, 3 or so cents per kWh or something like that. At this point i'm just scrapping/guessing from multiple unclear reports.

But that would make the 0.1/kWh of "American's not high", actually "Very High" from a global BTC mining perspective.

This seem like a pretty fair educatedish guess when you consider also here you can get electricity at 0.02-0.05/kWh.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 14, 2015, 08:54:16 PM

It's not high from one American's perspective, but it's pretty high from a global perspective. Basically the biggest competitor is China, so that has to be the standard. Its hard to say exactly how much they pay because its heavily subsidized but it's probably a few cents, 3 or so cents per kWh or something like that. At this point i'm just scrapping/guessing from multiple unclear reports.

But that would make the 0.1/kWh of "American's not high", actually "Very High" from a global BTC mining perspective.

This seem like a pretty fair educatedish guess when you consider also here you can get electricity at 0.02-0.05/kWh.

We can only guess on the mega mining data centers.   It for sure is a lot less then 10 cents.  But they put in a ton of money in most cases to follow the cheap electricity.

I hope at some point a company opens up hosting in a place where under 5 cents is normal.  One that is built for hobby miners to send equipment to.   But I think that will be looked into more after having. 
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2015, 07:51:21 AM

MBP is easy to guess - they're one of 2 rates, depending on if their actual mining location is in Chelan county or in Douglass county. US rates are (usually, and IIRC by law) PUBLIC - and neither of those counties are likely to negotiate a "lower" rate with a small company like MBP (for perspective, Alcoa has an ALUMINUM SMELTING plant in the area, THAT is a "big" power consumer).

I do agree that most of the "big farms" have been located in cheap power areas - though that "sale" in another thread by a certain Polish farm with at least some association with MBP indicates that at least one early farm didn't chase the cheap power well enough.

BLOCK_C

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 01:26:45 AM

Personally I believe there's going to be some more Acic companies coming out next year.  It seems like there were a ton then they all went bankrupt now they're coming back.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
September 18, 2015, 02:44:51 AM

Personally I believe there's going to be some more Acic companies coming out next year.  It seems like there were a ton then they all went bankrupt now they're coming back.

If new or old companies come back, Bitmain will just swat them down like they did last time with the S5. If you were hooked in at that time, you'll remember S5 being rushed, lower quality than S3's and sold to undercut all competitors. Then later on, they more or less fixed it and brought back the ability to down volt. But err yeah.

Bitmain has such a bit chunk that i'm pretty sure they will make sure to swat down any competitors that try to sell to the public.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
hugs1BTC (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 09, 2015, 08:21:34 PM

Am I missing something or no new hardware showed up? Undecided
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 03:31:37 AM

Did you miss Antminer S7 batch 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6? 4-4.8TH/s@ 1000-1200w, Also the Avalon6 at 3~ths 0.3J/GH. And the Spoondoolies SP50 that are 110TH/s units.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 03:36:03 AM

Did you miss Antminer S7 batch 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ,6? 4-4.8TH/s@ 1000-1200w, Also the Avalon6 at 3~ths 0.3J/GH. And the Spoondoolies SP50 that are 110TH/s units.

And the B-Eleven - https://www.bw.com/pool/miner  14nm miner there... so I'm hoping good things but we don't know much yet as far as final products.

There is a LOT of new gear hitting the street's and data centers right now.  And with jump in price a lot of old gear got some extra life.
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 06:51:08 AM

And the B-Eleven - https://www.bw.com/pool/miner  14nm miner there... so I'm hoping good things but we don't know much yet as far as final products.

There is a LOT of new gear hitting the street's and data centers right now.  And with jump in price a lot of old gear got some extra life.

How legit are these guys....do they go under a different name in english and/or thru a 'distributor' ?

not like I'm gonna buy any ...but buying any new miners scrypt/sha-256 of any kind for mining is kinda like 'fantasy sports' for me now...I run the numbers and watch ..but don't play Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 07:08:38 AM

And the B-Eleven - https://www.bw.com/pool/miner  14nm miner there... so I'm hoping good things but we don't know much yet as far as final products.

There is a LOT of new gear hitting the street's and data centers right now.  And with jump in price a lot of old gear got some extra life.

How legit are these guys....do they go under a different name in english and/or thru a 'distributor' ?

not like I'm gonna buy any ...but buying any new miners scrypt/sha-256 of any kind for mining is kinda like 'fantasy sports' for me now...I run the numbers and watch ..but don't play Smiley

They are funded by LK Group Limited who are a Miner manufacturer with a good History and CHBTC a large Chinese Exchange, so yes they are Legit. However we are yet to see a product so have the usual Timescale risk.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
November 10, 2015, 08:42:08 AM
Last edit: November 10, 2015, 09:00:28 AM by Searing

They are funded by LK Group Limited who are a Miner manufacturer with a good History and CHBTC a large Chinese Exchange, so yes they are Legit. However we are yet to see a product so have the usual Timescale risk.

Rich

well it does say in the thread ASIC MINING...(this is scrypt miner ..but hey any ASIC miner is as rare as unicorn baby teeth so here is the link to the thread and info below)

The company is LEGIT has shipped stuff in the past (barely) the firmware sucks on these original units but on www.litecointalk.org there is a thread on a guy who has made 'very significant improvements' to the firmware...so point anyone with these and the old firmware there.

https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=27370.msg288269#msg288269 this was a major project to improve the 1st run oe alcheminer original units (256mh) .he was sucessful as was the Titan firmware I mention below in passing. Good guys. Anyway scroll thru that thread see what you MAY be getting into equipment/mnfg wise.

On a side note for 3rd party firmware and hardware mods...this also goes for KNC Titan 350mh firmware also see thread under this..this firmware also rocks with addons etc ..there is also info Swedish ASIC miner thread on Titan (scrypt) and Neptune (Sha-256) hardware improvement mods FYI. Just as an aside as long as I drifted to 3rd party firmware mods beyond the mnfg support on such.

Swedish Asic Miner Thread above firmware and hardware mods  (both Neptune sha-256 and Titan's scrypt miners) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170332.0

the main Alcheminer site is below ..shows its first run units they are common on Ebay as of right now FYI.

https://www.alcheminer.com/en/   Alcheminer main site

Below is the Alcheminer II thread on here announcement info

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1234027.0 Alcehminer II Announcement

info below from above thread

he brief spec is as below.
Scrypt 2 chip:
*Hash rate: 2Mash/s
*Power consumption on the wall: 3~4J(1.5J~2J/MHash)
*TSMC 28HPC tech node
*Full custom design
*The value may change in the real product

Miner:
AlchemistII-128
*Hash rate: 128Mash/s
*Power consumption: 280W(on the wall)
*2 hash boards
*Built in control board
*Plug n play
*Support BFGMINER update
*Traget reseller price: $1299
*6 month warranty

AlchemistII-512
*Hash rate: 512Mash/s
*Power consumption: 1150W(on the wall)
*8 hash boards
*Built in control board
*Plug n play
*Support BFGMINER update
*Traget reseller price: $4950
*6 month warranty

he brief spec is as below.
Scrypt 2 chip:
*Hash rate: 2Mash/s
*Power consumption on the wall: 3~4J(1.5J~2J/MHash)
*TSMC 28HPC tech node
*Full custom design
*The value may change in the real product

Miner:
AlchemistII-128
*Hash rate: 128Mash/s
*Power consumption: 280W(on the wall)
*2 hash boards
*Built in control board
*Plug n play
*Support BFGMINER update
*Traget reseller price: $1299
*6 month warranty

AlchemistII-512
*Hash rate: 512Mash/s
*Power consumption: 1150W(on the wall)
*8 hash boards
*Built in control board
*Plug n play
*Support BFGMINER update
*Traget reseller price: $4950
*6 month warranty

But these units ARE NOT GOING TO BE OUT IN 6 MONTHS..man I hope their unbridled optimism is true for crypto...sheesh i can run my 2 350mh Titans at 1250 watts EACH... just fine with that pack in 6 MONTHS till shipping..thus I doubt it will work..but hey....I too dream unicorn/rainbow/and fairy dust dreams Smiley

OP: Feel free to remove this post if you MEANT only Bitcoin ASIC HARDWARE (but considering most gets punted to btc anyway) Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
hugs1BTC (OP)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 12:09:06 AM

No game-changing ASIC out yet? Sad
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 12:46:12 AM

What do you mean. The existing mining setup already work well and if anything super efficient came out, it would take no time at all for it to become the norm and no game changing would really be done.

It always depend on what your electricity cost is. That wont change.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 08:44:10 AM

What do you mean. The existing mining setup already work well and if anything super efficient came out, it would take no time at all for it to become the norm and no game changing would really be done.

It always depend on what your electricity cost is. That wont change.

Some people tend to say comments like that.  It has no basis, they always want the next best thing.   Compare last gen to this gen... it's a pretty big difference on efficiency.

But yes you can look into future and say "It's going to be better then!" or something like that.  And it's true, but it seems to me people who say like what hugs do are the type that just never buy new gear.  They will always justify it with there will be better.

As a miner I always want some gear running.  It would be a lot easier to sit on sideline and say it will be better next gen and let my coins set there doing nothing.  But I choose to try to expand my amount coins.
onefastgsr

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2015, 09:07:54 AM

What is everyones thoughts on purchasing a antminer s7 in the next month or 2, With the halving would it be worth it, Do you think during the halving they might come out with an even better miner and s7 price will fall alot? I currently have a S5, But I was planning on selling it and purchasing a s7 in a month or 2
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: