Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 12:26:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 64 »
  Print  
Author Topic: CryptoNote technical discussion and Chess Challenge  (Read 96046 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:40:48 PM

That makes sense to me. Basically if you withdraw a very large quantity (of BBR, XMR) from a known entity and then move it all again a few minutes later blockchain analysis and common sense could help form a very strong presumption (not proof) of the relation of those transactions.  The more transactions that occur and the longer the time period between such transactions the harder they would be to connect.

... but one does not move it right away. Instead one moves a different amount after a random period of time with a significant mixin.

I should have added more context. I think jl777 is concerned with immediate transfers between SuperNET coins, some of which are not anonymous.

I commented on the BBR Speculation thread (without having seen this comment). It certainly does make sense that if you are considering a decentralized exchange where some of the coins are not anonymous, then timing correlation and the level of background activity on a cryptonote does matter. I'm somewhat skeptical of decentralized exchanges overall due to the inherent lack of privacy. It's certainly nice not to be goxed, but part of the purpose of centralized exchanges and brokers is to maintain a degree of client privacy.
boolberry (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:49:21 PM

That makes sense to me. Basically if you withdraw a very large quantity (of BBR, XMR) from a known entity and then move it all again a few minutes later blockchain analysis and common sense could help form a very strong presumption (not proof) of the relation of those transactions.  The more transactions that occur and the longer the time period between such transactions the harder they would be to connect.

... but one does not move it right away. Instead one moves a different amount after a random period of time with a significant mixin.

I should have added more context. I think jl777 is concerned with immediate transfers between SuperNET coins, some of which are not anonymous.

I commented on the BBR Speculation thread (without having seen this comment). It certainly does make sense that if you are considering a decentralized exchange where some of the coins are not anonymous, then timing correlation and the level of background activity on a cryptonote does matter. I'm somewhat skeptical of decentralized exchanges overall due to the inherent lack of privacy. It's certainly nice not to be goxed, but part of the purpose of centralized exchanges and brokers is to maintain a degree of client privacy.

You comments were very hopeful. I don't know how closely he will watch that thread but I am curious what his response would be.  Based on what you said one of my original questions to jl777 (why use CoinShuffle and CryptoNote instead of just CryptoNote) still seems to be a valid one. I am guilty of not spending time in SuperNET slack to read about the reasons for their specific plans. I might take some time over the next week to try to learn more.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:53:32 PM

That makes sense to me. Basically if you withdraw a very large quantity (of BBR, XMR) from a known entity and then move it all again a few minutes later blockchain analysis and common sense could help form a very strong presumption (not proof) of the relation of those transactions.  The more transactions that occur and the longer the time period between such transactions the harder they would be to connect.

You comments were very hopeful. I don't know how closely he will watch that thread but I am curious what his response would be.  Based on what you said one of my original questions to jl777 (why use CoinShuffle and CryptoNote instead of just CryptoNote) still seems to be a valid one. I am guilty of not spending time in SuperNET slack to read about the reasons for their specific plans. I might take some time over the next week to try to learn more.

Coinshuffle as a concept has added value even on a cryptonote coin itself.

Without something like coinjoin/coinshuffle you an infer that inputs to a transaction are controlled by the same party. This in turn requires additional measures which are inconvenient and not really desirable (MRL-0004 suggests at least sometimes sending a torrent of microtransactions rather than a single large one to spend multiple outputs rather than combining them).

Certainly coinshuffle is also needed if his supernet system includes coins that aren't anonymous, but that's a different issue.
boolberry (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 10:57:10 PM

Without something like coinjoin/coinshuffle you an infer that inputs to a transaction are controlled by the same party. This in turn requires additional measures which are inconvenient and not really desirable (MRL-0004 suggests at least sometimes sending a torrent of microtransactions rather than a single large one to spend multiple outputs rather than combining them).

Thank you again. I need to reread the CoinShuffle paper I linked in the OP of this thread!
http://crypsys.mmci.uni-saarland.de/projects/CoinShuffle/coinshuffle.pdf
boolberry (OP)

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 11:16:07 PM

Current position
Based on the votes in this thread Team Boolberry has chosen to play Nc6. Now it is time for Team Monero to respond. I will plan to count votes again tomorrow at approximately 0:00 UTC.

Team Monero (white pieces) vs. Team Boolberry (black pieces)
white to move

1.e4    c5
2.Nf3   d6
3.d4    cxd4
4.Qxd4 a6
5.c4    Nc6
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 11:20:15 PM

Qe3

Who will blink first? Smiley
letsplayagame

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 06, 2015, 11:35:16 PM

Certainly coinshuffle is also needed if his supernet system includes coins that aren't anonymous, but that's a different issue.

Just when I feel like I am starting to understand the basics in this thread now you start talking about the combination of things.

Here is a problem some of you chess addicts may like to solve while I continue to study cryptography:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1148538.msg12620343#msg12620343

Chess, Bitcoin, Privacy and Freedom
Code:
 Make BTC Donations via XMR.TO or Shapeshift XMR: 47nMGDMQxEB8CWpWT7QgBLDmTSxgjm9831dVeu24ebCeH8gNPG9RvZAYoPxW2JniKjeq5LXZafwdPWH7AmX2NVji3yYKy76 
8XMR

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 12:31:44 AM

Qe3

Who will blink first? Smiley

2 votes Qe3

8xmr.com
XMRpromotions

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 09:42:10 AM

I support Qe3

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
LucyLovesCrypto

Activity: 414
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 11:09:55 AM

6.Qd3 because I think we may want our bishops on e2 and e3.
letsplayagame

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:38:29 PM
Last edit: October 07, 2015, 08:07:11 PM by letsplayagame

I will make the 3rd vote for c4. We will have to make a new move at some point because black ended up with a good position in the World Cup game. I have an idea about when we can do something different, but I don't want to disclose that yet.

White was playing with the goal of securing a draw in that game. Sometimes when you work too hard to limit complications you end up making suboptimal moves.  My comment is not meant to imply c4 was a bad move.  I am just referring to the goal of white in that game.

Chess, Bitcoin, Privacy and Freedom
Code:
 Make BTC Donations via XMR.TO or Shapeshift XMR: 47nMGDMQxEB8CWpWT7QgBLDmTSxgjm9831dVeu24ebCeH8gNPG9RvZAYoPxW2JniKjeq5LXZafwdPWH7AmX2NVji3yYKy76 
ArticMine
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050

Monero Core Team

View Profile
October 07, 2015, 07:48:49 PM

Qd2. I do not like the weak c2 after Qe3.

Concerned that blockchain bloat will lead to centralization? Storing less than 4 GB of data once required the budget of a superpower and a warehouse full of punched cards. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/IBM_card_storage.NARA.jpg https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punched_card
boolberry (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 12:11:44 AM

Current position
Based on the votes in this thread Team Monero has chosen to play Qe3. Now it is time for Team Boolberry to respond. I will plan to count votes again tomorrow at approximately 0:00 UTC.

Team Monero (white pieces) vs. Team Boolberry (black pieces)
black to move

1.e4    c5
2.Nf3   d6
3.d4    cxd4
4.Qxd4 a6
5.c4    Nc6
6.Qe3
boolberry (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 12:41:18 AM

Nf6 is my preference here. It is the best square for that knight and lets us retain flexibility of where to develop our bishop (g7 or e7) for another move or two depending on how white responds.
newb4now

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 02:44:40 AM

With their queen on e3 they may want to put their bishop on b2. Why not play g6 and Bg7 now to make that harder for them?
dre1982

Activity: 770
Merit: 284

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 06:35:13 AM

I would go here for g6 to prepare Lg7.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
languagehasmeaning

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 02:55:07 PM

I would go here for g6 to prepare Lg7.

+1 for g6
boolberry (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 06:21:37 PM

So far my Nf6 proposal is losing 3-1 against the g6 votes. The polls will close at about 0:00 so Team Boolberry members should cast their ballots before then.
dre1982

Activity: 770
Merit: 284

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 06:55:03 PM

Damn I already like our (black) position. The white queen is very bad positioned. Just develop our bishop on the diagonal to prevent he does that.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
boolberry (OP)

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 07:00:29 PM
Last edit: October 08, 2015, 07:12:17 PM by boolberry

Damn I already like our (black) position. The white queen is very bad positioned. Just develop our bishop on the diagonal to prevent he does that.

It is still very early but I like this type of position too. White will use their e4 and c4 pawns to try to control the center but we will will have active pieces and good pressure on some of the dark squares.  The next few moves will tell us more about the plans being developed from both sides.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 64 »
  Print  

Jump to: