Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 10:28:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 96 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [AEON] Aeon Speculation  (Read 190016 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
onemorexmr

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:01:09 AM

2. There is a pruning branch (beta test release) which reduces storage requirements and also makes them grow much more slowly over time (especially if usage of the coin picks up).

can you elaborate on the difference between AEON and BBR pruning?

AFAIK BBR pruning has "the problem" that its not possible to track all coins to its origin and may lead to a scenario that in case of a serious bug its not possible to verify the total coins in an existence (but it could be that i had misunderstand that and its been a while so i'd like to see a trustable statement about it)

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:01:35 AM

So Monero is rubbish now?

No

Its strange to see monero devs or supporters jumping/launching a new coin.

It's not a new coin, it was launched about 6 weeks after Monero last year. Nobody is jumping either.

Its only shows luck of faith into monero, and it seems as xmr is already a lost cost, so it time to start new coin.

There is no lack of faith. I explained how I view them as having distinct roles. If you don't think this coin has a viable role then don't buy it. If your analysis turns out to be correct the eventually this project will fail, the coin will be abandoned, and Monero will still be there.
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:04:31 AM

2. There is a pruning branch (beta test release) which reduces storage requirements and also makes them grow much more slowly over time (especially if usage of the coin picks up).

can you elaborate on the difference between AEON and BBR pruning?

AEON pruning is more like Bitcoin 0.11 pruning in that you still have to sync from scratch (or download a bootstrap) and your node will independently verify the entire chain. However, it then discards essentially the same information that BBR discards, so storage and memory requirements for the node are comparable with BBR (and in both cases greatly reduced over unpruned). The trade off is bandwidth and initial sync time vs. independent verification.

AFAIK BBR pruning has "the problem" that its not possible to track all coins to its origin and may lead to a scenario that in case of a serious bug its not possible to verify the total coins in an existence (but it could be that i had misunderstand that and its been a while so i'd like to see a trustable statement about it)

You can still download the original unpruned BBR chain from a web site, I believe. Of course if you do that you are using the same bandwidth for the full chain as in the previous paragraph.

owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:20:38 AM

No

It's not a new coin, it was launched about 6 weeks after Monero last year. Nobody is jumping either.

Its only shows luck of faith into monero, and it seems as xmr is already a lost cost, so it time to start new coin.

There is no lack of faith. I explained how I view them as having distinct roles. If you don't think this coin has a viable role then don't buy it. If your analysis turns out to be correct the eventually this project will fail, the coin will be abandoned, and Monero will still be there.

This seems as a conflict of interest when a monero dev to work on a competitive cryptonote coin. Its already causing confusion in this forum, seeing other posts.

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
onemorexmr

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:30:19 AM

No

This seems as a conflict of interest when a monero dev to work on a competitive cryptonote coin. Its already causing confusion in this forum, seeing other posts.

personally i dont see a conflict of interest because i see XMR and AEON as the cryptonode family (these are the only two i am interested in; i lost interest in BBR: but thats another story).

i consider AEON as a bleeding edge testbed while Monero tends to be better tested with other processes for new developments (eg MRL).

but i think every Monero holder should invest a (small) part of their holdings in AEON too.

XMR || Monero || monerodice.net || xmr.to || mymonero.com || openalias.org || you think bitcoin is fungible? watch this
boolberry

Activity: 378

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 02:08:18 AM

You can still download the original unpruned BBR chain from a web site, I believe. Of course if you do that you are using the same bandwidth for the full chain as in the previous paragraph.

Correct

http://boolberry.com/downloads.html#blockchain_proof
onemorexmr

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 02:14:44 AM

Correct

while you are here (sorry for OT @ AEON)

- does it contain new transactions? AFAIK new transactions will be pruned in the future so this file needs updates regularly. is this the case? or i am wrong in my thinking?

- IMHO this file should not be only on one server. bittorrent or freenet come to mind. i am not afraid of changes to that file (that should be detectable) but if the owner of the server has an accident (i really dont hope so) i may be lost if not mirrored.

boolberry

Activity: 378

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 02:56:25 AM
Last edit: October 04, 2015, 03:13:55 AM by boolberry

Correct

while you are here (sorry for OT @ AEON)

- does it contain new transactions? AFAIK new transactions will be pruned in the future so this file needs updates regularly. is this the case? or i am wrong in my thinking?

- IMHO this file should not be only on one server. bittorrent or freenet come to mind. i am not afraid of changes to that file (that should be detectable) but if the owner of the server has an accident (i really dont hope so) i may be lost if not mirrored.

You are right that it is an old file and I agree about the need for precautions to safeguard the updated proof in a decentralized manner.  I will send a message to crypto_zoidberg asking for his feedback.
aerbax

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2015, 03:14:47 AM

Please familiarize yourself more with how Open Source works.  It's pretty common for developers to work on and submit patches to projects that are similar in scope.  In fact, it's crucial. 

I fully expect some of the work happening in AEON to be ported to Monero.  And vice versa.  What you're envisioning as "competition and confusion" is actually a healthy Open Source ecosystem.

XMRpromotions

Activity: 336

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 05:37:15 AM

Please familiarize yourself more with how Open Source works.  It's pretty common for developers to work on and submit patches to projects that are similar in scope.  In fact, it's crucial. 

I fully expect some of the work happening in AEON to be ported to Monero.  And vice versa.  What you're envisioning as "competition and confusion" is actually a healthy Open Source ecosystem.

I agree. A major mistake with Monero code would be much more expensive (in terms of lost market cap) than it would be with Aeon or Boolberry. Testnets can be even better for testing in many cases but when you are ready for mainnet why not test important changes on an AEON or BBR blockchain before implementing it in XMR? 

Don't buy Monero: https://twitter.com/MoneroPromotion/status/746006420508729344

XMR: 43hPTYyKarCTWyh4ZnMVn8AtFeEmtzTXo3Y6TGGMV26BWonJ4tpR7eP9RkUDYQbvg6LbrnMXWfghddE NGtvKxr7B5oML4qd
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 06:58:46 AM

No

In my opinion the crypto community is too dog-eat-dog competitive and all that gets you is a lot of eaten dogs, with a few survivors exhausted from fighting to not be eaten. We need to accept reality that hypercryptoization is not right around the corner and the path forward is experimentation, different approaches, and friendly competition that makes us all do better rather than viewing everything as a zero sum conflict.

The time for natural consolidation of the market around one or a few successful solutions will likely come, but it is not now.

generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2015, 07:34:39 AM

No

In my opinion the crypto community is too dog-eat-dog competitive and all that gets you is a lot of eaten dogs, with a few survivors exhausted from fighting to not be eaten. We need to accept reality that hypercryptoization is not right around the corner and the path forward is experimentation, different approaches, and friendly competition that makes us all do better rather than viewing everything as a zero sum conflict.

The time for natural consolidation of the market around one or a few successful solutions will likely come, but it is not now.

I'll add that any Monerian that doesn't see the upside of a Monero-forked technology entering the economy mobile sector for a whopping .003 cents a coin, needs to reevaluate their evaluation process. It's a different market, folks. A Monero sidechain maybe addresses it a couple to a few years down the road, but why wait? To what benefit? Bitcoin doesn't benefit from an ALL-THE-MARKETS-FOR-ME-COMPLEX, it suffers from it--so maybe not the best line of reasoning to adopt if you want to keep your investments grounded in a competitive reality.

owm123

Activity: 392

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 09:17:08 AM

No

I'll add that any Monerian that doesn't see the upside of a Monero-forked technology entering the economy mobile sector for a whopping .003 cents a coin, needs to reevaluate their evaluation process. It's a different market, folks. A Monero sidechain maybe addresses it a couple to a few years down the road, but why wait? To what benefit? Bitcoin doesn't benefit from an ALL-THE-MARKETS-FOR-ME-COMPLEX, it suffers from it--so maybe not the best line of reasoning to adopt if you want to keep your investments grounded in a competitive reality.

I fully agree, that one-coin for every possible use case is not good. Competition is good, thus I also watch boolberry or other cryptonote coins. 

I'm more concerned with the following. Smooth is core dev of Monero and at the same time lead developer of Aeon. Thus there maybe some conflict of interest there. Maybe smooth has too much invested in aeon, both in time and money, to fully work on monero, or even sabotage it if aeon wont be growing as fast as he thinks. Or the opposite.

I dont know much about him. Maybe he is supper cool and honest person, and such scenerio wound not be possible ever. I dont know. Maybe its natural for one dev to work on few coins at the same time. I dont know either.  I'm pretty sure that many ppl who are new to crypto, and especially monero, may also think similar. Or they may think, just like me, that monero is no more as monero dev is leaving/transiting to work on other coin. And many similar questions like this can be possible.

Maybe somewhere some clear 'official' statement regarding this should be made. On monero website or on eaon website. I dont know how crypto-world deals with such issues.

Also something that Aeon is targeting different market/niche than monero is, if it is indeed, could be useful. I even dont know if this is the case. Is Aeon aimed to overtake and compete with monero? Or is it like relationship between Fedora and RHEL, Where Fedora is more of a test bed for RHEL. Therefore RHEL, at the end, always benefits from the time and effort spend on developing in Fedora? Monero off course being RHEL, and Aeon being Fedora?

Bitcoin is NOT anonymous: http://www.bitcoinisnotanonymous.com
dukey8

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 01:07:57 PM

No

I fully agree, that one-coin for every possible use case is not good. Competition is good, thus I also watch boolberry or other cryptonote coins.  

I'm more concerned with the following. Smooth is core dev of Monero and at the same time lead developer of Aeon. Thus there maybe some conflict of interest there. Maybe smooth has too much invested in aeon, both in time and money, to fully work on monero, or even sabotage it if aeon wont be growing as fast as he thinks. Or the opposite.

I dont know much about him. Maybe he is supper cool and honest person, and such scenerio wound not be possible ever. I dont know. Maybe its natural for one dev to work on few coins at the same time. I dont know either.  I'm pretty sure that many ppl who are new to crypto, and especially monero, may also think similar. Or they may think, just like me, that monero is no more as monero dev is leaving/transiting to work on other coin. And many similar questions like this can be possible.

Maybe somewhere some clear 'official' statement regarding this should be made. On monero website or on eaon website. I dont know how crypto-world deals with such issues.

Also something that Aeon is targeting different market/niche than monero is, if it is indeed, could be useful. I even dont know if this is the case. Is Aeon aimed to overtake and compete with monero? Or is it like relationship between Fedora and RHEL, Where Fedora is more of a test bed for RHEL. Therefore RHEL, at the end, always benefits from the time and effort spend on developing in Fedora? Monero off course being RHEL, and Aeon being Fedora?

It is the same scam group, they have moved from Monero now to other cryptonote, because Monero doesn't have the gains at this price.  It is good for them if Monero dumps, they can buy cheap and pump again.  They stopped writing Monero code a long time ago and get the community to pay part time developer instead then now say they will copy the feature to AEON.  Or they will only make commercial website they can make money from like gambling site and explore their positions.  Smooth avatar is developing on AEON for months instead of Monero, so coin with $25k market cap has full time Monero dev, when Monero doesn't have full time Monero dev, just part timer hired from donations.

They became the most active scam group on BCT, they control the alt board, the ones posting the speculation threads and making all the new accounts like boolberry, xmr_promotions, xmr_china, aeon, attack threads for their competitor, and they buy hero accounts for BTC to attack other coins.  They also have moderator on board on BCT and Poloniex to support them so they can manipulate through the thousands of posts repeating same thing about how they are honest and everyone else is a scam.

But it is all to get more BTC for them, they don't care about alt coins.  They are BTC maximalist who made enough money not to work now all day making alts to scam people to increase their BTC holding.
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2015, 01:49:34 PM

No

I dont know much about him. Maybe he is supper cool and honest person, and such scenerio wound not be possible ever. I dont know. Maybe its natural for one dev to work on few coins at the same time. I dont know either.  I'm pretty sure that many ppl who are new to crypto, and especially monero, may also think similar. Or they may think, just like me, that monero is no more as monero dev is leaving/transiting to work on other coin. And many similar questions like this can be possible.

It is the same scam group, they have moved from Monero now to other cryptonote, because Monero doesn't have the gains at this price.  It is good for them if Monero dumps, they can buy cheap and pump again.  They stopped writing Monero code a long time ago and get the community to pay part time developer instead then now say they will copy the feature to AEON.  Or they will only make commercial website they can make money from like gambling site and explore their positions.  Smooth avatar is developing on AEON for months instead of Monero, so coin with $25k market cap has full time Monero dev, when Monero doesn't have full time Monero dev, just part timer hired from donations.

They became the most active scam group on BCT, they control the alt board, the ones posting the speculation threads and making all the new accounts like boolberry, xmr_promotions, xmr_china, aeon, attack threads for their competitor, and they buy hero accounts for BTC to attack other coins.  They also have moderator on board on BCT and Poloniex to support them so they can manipulate through the thousands of posts repeating same thing about how they are honest and everyone else is a scam.

But it is all to get more BTC for them, they don't care about alt coins.  They are BTC maximalist who made enough money not to work now all day making alts to scam people to increase their BTC holding.

I bet you have a tinfoil hat for every day of the week.  Roll Eyes

americanpegasus (OP)

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 02:04:36 PM

It is the same scam group, they have moved ...[various bullshit]... making alts to scam people to increase their BTC holding.

Oh for shit's sake; you're not going to make this easy on me as the moderator of this topic, are you? 

Anyway, everything you said is absurd and foolish.  You can clearly check the github commits yourself (dear reader) to see that Monero development continues strong and is certainly no scam.  Aeon is supported by many of the same personalities because Cryptonote is a small community at the moment.  Smooth is one of seven developers for Monero and has publicly stated that Aeon is meant to be a test bed for ideas too radical for the Monero blockchain, and if some of those work Aeon might gain some real value. 

As always, if you can levy actual proof of how Aeon or Monero is a scam it will be welcomed, but no one in history has ever done so.  If you have something more to add to conversation, you are welcome, but further empty scam accusations will be deleted because they offer nothing of substance.  Examples of things that would constitute proof of a 'scam': that the launch was not fair for either coin (it was), that development is not ongoing (it is), that the technology is somehow flawed (one of the most highly peer reviewed crypto foundations out there). 

So kindly fuck off and go troll somewhere else; thanks.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 02:06:06 PM

A cross-post (by me) from the the Reddit board about why Aeon is necessary: 

A poker game is not a poker game if the chips don't mean anything. Have you ever had the frustrating experience of trying to teach some n00bs poker with 'play money'? Or have you ever 'paper traded'? No one learned much, did they?

A token must have value for the principals of game theory and ideal strategy to come into play.

You can't test out new variants of poker (necessary for the game to evolve from 5-card draw to the superior Texas Hold 'em version) if you have to worry about causing catastrophic damage to the current poker economy.

Imagine if the World Series of Poker was currently 5-card draw and someone had a great idea ("Guys, I've invented a new form of poker that's way superior!") but the only sanctioned poker game in the world was that world championship. The superior game would never see the light of day because there's too much at stake to risk everything on some untested variant.

We're lucky that house games and side games are permitted though, because in this way we can organically discover the optimal rules to play by.

Aeon is that side game. Now, maybe Aeon ends up being a version where we have mixed Magic: the Gathering cards into a standard 52-card poker deck, and someone else brought some dice, and someone else has this cool idea about LARP'ing while we do it - and the whole thing is a train wreck that never goes anywhere.

Or maybe we'll invent Omaha 8, or something else useful.

That's why we're playing a side game, where the chips still have value, but we're not interrupting the big tournament with our shenanigans.

dukey8

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 02:37:47 PM

It is the same scam group, they have moved ...[various bullshit]... making alts to scam people to increase their BTC holding.

Oh for shit's sake; you're not going to make this easy on me as the moderator of this topic, are you?  

Anyway, everything you said is absurd and foolish.  You can clearly check the github commits yourself (dear reader) to see that Monero development continues strong and is certainly no scam.  Aeon is supported by many of the same personalities because Cryptonote is a small community at the moment.  Smooth is one of seven developers for Monero and has publicly stated that Aeon is meant to be a test bed for ideas too radical for the Monero blockchain, and if some of those work Aeon might gain some real value.  

As always, if you can levy actual proof of how Aeon or Monero is a scam it will be welcomed, but no one in history has ever done so.  If you have something more to add to conversation, you are welcome, but further empty scam accusations will be deleted because they offer nothing of substance.  Examples of things that would constitute proof of a 'scam': that the launch was not fair for either coin (it was), that development is not ongoing (it is), that the technology is somehow flawed (one of the most highly peer reviewed crypto foundations out there).  

So kindly fuck off and go troll somewhere else; thanks.

I did check github, thats why I say the core dev stopped writing code long time ago.  Just moneromoo coding now, who community is paying for.  Maybe you have no clue how to use github and because you see the name Fluffypony merging monoeromoo commits, you think that means a monero core dev is coding?  The only code Fluffypony will write is commercial closed source website he can profit from himself.

But if you want proof like you say:

Launch - crippled miner by Smooth
Development is not ongoing - it's not.  Smooth's coding time is 100% on AEON and Fluffypony is 100% on his own websites to make money from XMR community. The only code now has to be paid by community.
Technology is somehow flawed - it is, because it is 1 year behind the original Bytecoin code, same as Bytecoin 2014, not even a GUI (maybe Monero community can pay someone to integrate Aeon GUI now Smooth is coding it?)

If you don't now you being scammed, no hope trying to tell you.

americanpegasus (OP)

View Profile
October 04, 2015, 03:05:38 PM

I did check github, thats why I say the core dev stopped writing code long time ago.  Just moneromoo coding now, who community is paying for.  Maybe you have no clue how to use github and because you see the name Fluffypony merging monoeromoo commits, you think that means a monero core dev is coding?  The only code Fluffypony will write is commercial closed source website he can profit from himself.

But if you want proof like you say:

Launch - crippled miner by Smooth
Development is not ongoing - it's not.  Smooth's coding time is 100% on AEON and Fluffypony is 100% on his own websites to make money from XMR community. The only code now has to be paid by community.
Technology is somehow flawed - it is, because it is 1 year behind the original Bytecoin code, same as Bytecoin 2014, not even a GUI (maybe Monero community can pay someone to integrate Aeon GUI now Smooth is coding it?)

If you don't now you being scammed, no hope trying to tell you.

Well seeing as how this is an AEON speculation topic I have no interest in debating 'you' on XMR (even though all your arguments have been well trounced elsewhere).  You already just said that Smooth's time is 100% Aeon, and since the coin costs less than half a cents each, I can't complain too much about what has happened before now with this particular blockchain - its essentially been abandoned and is worthless. 

If you have specific complaints about Monero, I suggest you take those to relevant topics: this topic is about Aeon. 

As far as Bytecoin: regardless of what it has, it's well established all over these boards that it was an 82% premine that arose from the sketchiest conditions imaginable and most importantly -> is closed source so its a non-option for a valid Cryptonote implementation.

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 04, 2015, 03:22:53 PM

Since this is a speculation thread, I speculate that dukey8 is Blockafett3, or better known in some circles as smoothstalker1.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 ... 96 »
  Print  

Jump to: