Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 01:37:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [EDU] How to spot a scammer (Read this before lending your coins!)  (Read 208732 times)
Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 07:59:16 PM

Updated.

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 05:06:08 PM

Updated.

GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
Jakers

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 06:33:32 PM

So I'm a scammer for trying to sell some giftcards and wanting to borrow some Bitcoins? fucking retard...

This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for
Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 10:42:21 PM

So I'm a scammer for trying to sell some giftcards and wanting to borrow some Bitcoins? fucking retard...

I'm not saying you're a scammer.  However, your own forum activity suggests otherwise.

John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1225

Away on an extended break

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 02:24:39 AM

I'm not saying you're a scammer.  However, your own forum activity suggests otherwise.
For the record, Jakers has contacted me to be the escrow agent when he started selling his cards.That's all I know, though.
underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 02:28:48 AM

I believe I am also a scammer according to Tomato.  So take the accusation (that is what it is, btw) with any amount of salt that is to your liking.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 02:36:35 AM

I believe I am also a scammer according to Tomato.  So take the accusation (that is what it is, btw) with any amount of salt that is to your liking.
His predictions so far have been 60%+- spot on. It's better to treat anyone new as a potential scammer until they've proved to be otherwise in the BTC world unfortunately.
underminer

Activity: 210

Not for hire.

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 02:42:11 AM

This is true--but I guess you have somehow missed all the threads in which he butts in, says something snarky like: "use escrow on that shit or you will be sorry and I will come back and laugh at you later" ?  I'd bet money he is at less than 60% accuracy (accuracy which sucks)  including such threads.  That's actually how I became acquainted with Tomatoage--he never did comment back when transaction was successful.  I find this thread idea to be good, but the implementation to be a bit hollow.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 02:48:58 AM

This is true--but I guess you have somehow missed all the threads in which he butts in, says something snarky like: "use escrow on that shit or you will be sorry and I will come back and laugh at you later" ?  I'd bet money he is at less than 60% accuracy (accuracy which sucks)  including such threads.  That's actually how I became acquainted with Tomatoage--he never did comment back when transaction was successful.  I find this thread idea to be good, but the implementation to be a bit hollow.
Sometimes I try to be like tomato too and butt in threads I find strangely scammish looking. (but not that blunt about the scamming issue though  Wink ). I've lost count how many newbies were scammed and got off bawling on sketchy deals. He's a good warner for the community, and I appreciate the fact that fewer people were scammed at the end of the day. True legitimate users who endure this baptism by fire will stand up easily later anyway.
Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2013, 09:27:13 PM

I vaguely remember that thread, and I probably advised the use of escrow for your own protection. I don't recall ever predicting anything.

Jakers

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 04:17:26 AM

Take me off this list please tomatocage. I've completed the $140 trade with BTC4Amazon

This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for RENT☺♥☺♥☺This SPACE is for
Jakers

View Profile
January 07, 2013, 05:55:15 PM

Take me off this list please tomatocage. I've completed the $140 trade with BTC4Amazon

Get off my dick. So you take off my trade but you leave me up there? Wow, I was even trusted with $25 already and I just got here. Sad tomatocage.

Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 06:10:14 PM

Get off my dick. So you take off my trade but you leave me up there? Wow, I was even trusted with $25 already and I just got here. Sad tomatocage.

I just Google'd "who gives a fuck?" and my name did not appear in the search results page.

Darktongue

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 13, 2013, 08:01:55 PM

This is very good joojo. I really loathe the sob stories... Ends up hurting the underdog that in some cases is me LOL

I have asked for NMC handouts in the past. Not small amounts ether. I belong to several Linux clubs around my area of residents. I started talking up coin and showing the whole system through NMC. End result being my fellow members learn about blockchains, the software, recive a transaction and a domain out of it. Some individuals would have me pinned for a penny scammer. So what I've done to show "proof of work" is very very simple. I give this advice out to aid my fellow geeks and non profits in such actions.

1) Give the names of the club founders and or the person or persons working with the overall membership

2) Give the location(s) of where the meetings take place. address, phone number and if It's a coffee shop or dinner a managers name to contact.

2) Give a head count of membership showing in advance. Usually I give out 5-10NMC

3) Log the addresses and show proof of purchase of the .bit domain. In some cases of a die hard member who gets his .bit up and running I follow up with "Look what this guy did in school today". style emails.

4) Post updates, if not even in the op. follow up. take photos of the membership useing the software. take a group picture. and at the very least sharpie the donaters names on paper with a thank you.

Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 03:49:00 AM

Updated.

teodor87

Activity: 154

Man is King!

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 06:08:38 AM

I do not think that number of posts and registration date has any significance.

A scammer is a scammer, no mather what.

Some people register and trade for years to build a rep, and then make a scam for many thousands of dollars.

So this is not very objective.

Of course there are always people that don't have a life and want to scam someone for some lousy amounts.

1BXi1DWT9U8snSr8wmuL7iihqphNiPRN9k
Darktongue

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 04:08:55 PM

The problem is the web isn't like the physical world. it would be nice to be able to turn a cheek tp a default of a $30 loan on BTC... NOT have to jump through hoops and fight not only the scammer but the horrendous amount of trolls that ether don't like you or are just outright assholes.

I've loaned money like that to people in my life and they vanish.. they had been "Friends" for eons. and for less then the price of a full tank of gas they vanish. A wise person once said to me "If that's all it took to buy good riddence. Then it might have been worth the loan".

But sadly online they will hit many folk before that's the case :/
teodor87

Man is King!

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 06:16:24 PM

It's cool that I'm in the list too   Grin

The deal I made is the following:

The other user orders the thing to HIS address.

Then, regardles if item ships on the 10-th of Feb I have to give him 1/3 of the cost, resp. March and April to the same date.

And we decided that even if he receives the item before that he won't ship until he receives first payment.

Tell me how exactly would I scam this person?

The risk is bigger for me actually.

But whatever.

Tomatocage (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 06:26:41 PM

You're on the list because your posting patterns look like that of previous scammers.

teodor87

Man is King!

View Profile
January 14, 2013, 06:34:37 PM

Cool. I like bad guys! Smiley

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: