Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:07:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: good places to hide paper wallet ?  (Read 9663 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 06:53:15 PM

I am searching for a good place to hide my paper wallet
i don't want any one to see it or try to scan the QR code
please don't give me silly places, I really want to hide it in secure place

Maybe the best place is in plain sight:
you generate 100-200 pairs of public+private keys, pick one number you prefer and use that as actual paper wallet. Nobody will have the patience to enter them all by hand until they find the non-empty one.

Of course, you'll have to keep your actually used public key also hidden from the people you know, so you'll need a few public/buffer wallets. They'll be empty 99.9% of the time.

They can use an automatic bot that tries all of them, if you do this on your PC.

If you do it with paper wallets, then you will need alot of printing ,and have a good mark on the real private key, while marking the fakes one too.

Also you can descuise it.  Dont have it say bitcoin or private key on it.  Put it as camo like "Family Pictures Link 2015" or something a "bad guy" would have no interest.  And on private key could put picture storage id.

Be creative with it.  A little camo like this to hide it and might do a world of good.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
CanIHazBitcoin777

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 06:58:42 PM

Also you can descuise it.  Dont have it say bitcoin or private key on it.  Put it as camo like "Family Pictures Link 2015" or something a "bad guy" would have no interest.  And on private key could put picture storage id.

Be creative with it.  A little camo like this to hide it and might do a world of good.

Thats is nice but not very sophisticated...

Famili pictures? Nah thats amateur,  i mean its a random scribble the private key, so you need some other way to mask the randomness, in a way more creative way.

You just gave me an idea..
spazzdla
Legendary

Activity: 1722

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 08:22:09 PM

THE GOV CAN AND WILL RAID A SAFTEY BOX IN THE BANK!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Dig a hole in the ground, DO NOT bring your cell with you.

IN your house, behind dry wall.. cut hole, put it here, patch hole.  Mud it well so no one knows.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 09:01:59 PM

Maybe the best place is in plain sight:
you generate 100-200 pairs of public+private keys, pick one number you prefer and use that as actual paper wallet. Nobody will have the patience to enter them all by hand until they find the non-empty one.

Of course, you'll have to keep your actually used public key also hidden from the people you know, so you'll need a few public/buffer wallets. They'll be empty 99.9% of the time.

They can use an automatic bot that tries all of them, if you do this on your PC.

If you do it with paper wallets, then you will need alot of printing ,and have a good mark on the real private key, while marking the fakes one too.

You want to get creative? How about a non electronic sub dermal implant with a sealed capsule that has the encrypted priv key inside? All you would have to do is scratch that spot to be remembered that you're walking around with all that bitcoin.

You can always keep an eye on it and it cannot be stolen while you're not looking.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 09:19:20 PM

snip
You want to get creative? How about a non electronic sub dermal implant with a sealed capsule that has the encrypted priv key inside? All you would have to do is scratch that spot to be remembered that you're walking around with all that bitcoin.

You can always keep an eye on it and it cannot be stolen while you're not looking.

You sir are more dedicated them me if you are willing to do this.  I will keep safety deposit box Smiley

If you can handle injecting it in your body, and cutting out each time you want it... just would take it to another level.   
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 09:22:28 PM

snip

You sir are more dedicated them me if you are willing to do this.  I will keep safety deposit box Smiley

If you can handle injecting it in your body, and cutting out each time you want it... just would take it to another level.   

Yeah no, thats crazy. This could work with a electronic implant that is your hardware wallet key. Otherwise hell no.

I was thinking about someone that has like hundreds or thousands of Bitcoin that wish to keep his Bitcoin safe in cold storage but still in reach for many years, as a bet that Bitcoin's market cap will eventually beat other payment processors.

You keep those until its time to retire, then take it out and cash out, live the good live.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Sourgummies

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

Never ending parties are what Im into.

View Profile
October 08, 2015, 09:52:21 PM

Keep it with a pile of raw sodium next to a cup of water. Good luck to those who try to take it. In fact, why not add in some pitfalls and an red herring obstacle course?
CanIHazBitcoin777

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 06:38:45 AM

Yeah no, thats crazy. This could work with a electronic implant that is your hardware wallet key. Otherwise hell no.

I was thinking about someone that has like hundreds or thousands of Bitcoin that wish to keep his Bitcoin safe in cold storage but still in reach for many years, as a bet that Bitcoin's market cap will eventually beat other payment processors.

You keep those until its time to retire, then take it out and cash out, live the good live.

And what if the doctor that implanted the chip has connections to some mobsters and tells them about you walking around with million dollars worth under your skin?

What will happen to you then?

Not very safe in my opinion.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 06:44:03 AM

And what if the doctor that implanted the chip has connections to some mobsters and tells them about you walking around with million dollars worth under your skin?

What will happen to you then?

Not very safe in my opinion.

Haha, you're funny. If its cold storage it wont be a chip. And there is no way what the "doctor" would know what it is. There is no way you should rely on a chip for storing millions of dollars.

Either its cold storage and its not a chip or its a chip for accessing it often (not cold storage).

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
CanIHazBitcoin777

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 05:32:13 PM

Haha, you're funny. If its cold storage it wont be a chip. And there is no way what the "doctor" would know what it is. There is no way you should rely on a chip for storing millions of dollars.

Either its cold storage and its not a chip or its a chip for accessing it often (not cold storage).

Not its not funny, there are many shady doctors out there that would do this. If people would start putting chips under their skins, storing digital money (not necessarly bitcoin but even bank account passwords), many mobsters would be interested in obtaining a list of these clients and then "visiting them" and then "extracting them".

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/rfid-chips-convenient-but-creepy-1273.php

It is not as secure as you think.
jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 06:16:46 PM

A good please to hide the paper wallet is in the pen.
You can remove the color of the pen and put the paper there.
Also some pen have calendars by sliding up the above part so that could be safe enough and it is very small.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 06:25:28 PM

Not its not funny, there are many shady doctors out there that would do this. If people would start putting chips under their skins, storing digital money (not necessarly bitcoin but even bank account passwords), many mobsters would be interested in obtaining a list of these clients and then "visiting them" and then "extracting them".

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/rfid-chips-convenient-but-creepy-1273.php

It is not as secure as you think.

I do not think you are understanding what i'm saying. I will clarify;

You can use a chip. Sure a rfid chip could work as part of a hardware wallet thing, not on its own because anyone can read the passive reading on the chip, for a spending wallet in your everyday usage OR you can seal in a sealed capsule, the size of a grain of rice, an encrypted hash, that no one knows whats on it. Not the doctor, not anyone.

Its totally hardcore, and i would not to it, but, unless you have made it known that you own millions of dollars in BTC' in which case it does not matter where you hide it, criminal could extort you, its just as secure as hiding it in your socks. Or more Wink

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
TheGr33k

Activity: 518

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 06:28:59 PM

Hiding your paper wallet would be as easy as hiding it any place that nobody would think to look. Just think outside the box and if it looks like somewhere you would hide something then it probably isn't a good idea. Glue it to the back of a family photograph, Under the sole in a retired pair of shoes, or even tucked inside the game-manual of a video-game would be excellent places to hide it.
CanIHazBitcoin777

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 09:05:38 PM

You can use a chip. Sure a rfid chip could work as part of a hardware wallet thing, not on its own because anyone can read the passive reading on the chip, for a spending wallet in your everyday usage OR you can seal in a sealed capsule, the size of a grain of rice, an encrypted hash, that no one knows whats on it. Not the doctor, not anyone.

Its totally hardcore, and i would not to it, but, unless you have made it known that you own millions of dollars in BTC' in which case it does not matter where you hide it, criminal could extort you, its just as secure as hiding it in your socks. Or more Wink

Yea but i mean doing the whole thing is so odd that it definitely raises suspicion what you want to hide in there.

People dont just put chips in their body for no reason, so if somebody does that that somebody surely hides something important there, so they will try to steal that.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 09, 2015, 09:11:55 PM

Yea but i mean doing the whole thing is so odd that it definitely raises suspicion what you want to hide in there.

People dont just put chips in their body for no reason, so if somebody does that that somebody surely hides something important there, so they will try to steal that.

Chips are not a real solution.  The problem is security look into RFID.  Some were considered secure look down the road 10 years you can get a cloner pretty cheap and copy some that once were considered secure.  So thinking your holdings is safe when it's sending out even a passive signal is not really good.   

Also you would beep with metal in every metal detector.  Imagine wanting to fly somewhere and they find metal in your arm injected.  You would have a horrible time traveling. 

A cold wallet such as paper will  remain king as long as it's done right.  Get a safty deposit box at bank (assuming you live in a country you can trust goverment, if your country has a horrible bond rating likely don't go for this option).   And like ive suggested before you can camo it where you don't have BTC on the paper wallet and likely no thief would even mess with it.
Anmol_Verma

Activity: 112

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 02:22:08 AM

Best place is your locker or safe beileve it or not these are best places or try to hide in bank.

BETCOIN  Highest BTC Payouts in the World! | Truly a one-stop casino for any player
  
       301% Deposit Bonus • 9.88% Player cashback • Slots [8][8][8] • Casino [♠]] • Sports
Rude Boy

Activity: 770

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 02:32:28 AM

Best place is your locker or safe beileve it or not these are best places or try to hide in bank.
Good idea! Unfortunately, OP have to pay some interest/rent for the bank locker Shocked
IMO, there's nothing much an efficient locker than your/human brain, just remember your btc address and corresponding private key!
usairx

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 04:00:01 AM

Put in a fireproof safe, or bury somewhere
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 04:49:42 AM

Good idea! Unfortunately, OP have to pay some interest/rent for the bank locker Shocked
IMO, there's nothing much an efficient locker than your/human brain, just remember your btc address and corresponding private key!

Problem with this is one point of failure.  Say you could perfectly remember your private key's (yes multiple is what I suggest instead of one big one).

Lets say you are hit by a bus.   Now the only person who knew the keys is gone.   I like bank deposit box as family will get it if that bus situation happens.  (And it is very unlikely but still most I think would want family to have access to it instead of it becoming abandon)
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 10, 2015, 12:16:25 PM

Problem with this is one point of failure.  Say you could perfectly remember your private key's (yes multiple is what I suggest instead of one big one).

Lets say you are hit by a bus.   Now the only person who knew the keys is gone.   I like bank deposit box as family will get it if that bus situation happens.  (And it is very unlikely but still most I think would want family to have access to it instead of it becoming abandon)

You can put it in your will, which become effectively the same as storing an encrypted usb + paper with your priv key in a safety box, but it seem people here like to say "you can't trust the government so you can't use safety deposit boxes!".

Hence my idea of implanting the data in a silicon capsule between your toe or something.

In a "normal" world from our perspective, lets go with an encrypted USB drive/paper backup in a couples of safety box for redundancy. That way your peers can access it if you get hit by a bus.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀