Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 05:03:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: good places to hide paper wallet ?  (Read 9663 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 06:01:23 AM

A gun safe seems to work just fine

Assuming it's a decent one they are actually not bad.  Some have pretty high rating on fire protection.  When you have a lot of money in guns the safe already was built to protect a lot.   And obviously easy to put a paper in it.

Some of the cheap ones though are not so great.  Check fire rating on anything before using it.  On gun safes its inside on the corner of door that you can see when open normally.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 06:56:20 AM
Last edit: October 16, 2015, 10:36:58 AM by Amph

hemm how about save your paper wallet at compact-disc
is not bad place Grin very simple and cheap Smiley

Lol what if the disk get damaged?
better to store in usb then disk.

If a USB doesn't see power for a couple years it will lose everything.. becareful with flash memory.

are you sure about that? anyway i'm holding in multiple usb that were bought in different times

i should start to memorize my whole private key, in the past i was able to memorize 40 numbers in a few second, just with a look

but with letters added it would be different
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 08:40:19 AM

remove image for space.

If a USB doesn't see power for a couple years it will lose everything.. becareful with flash memory.

are you sure about that? anyway i'm holding in multiple usb that were bought in different times

i should start to memorize my whole private key, in the past iw as able to memorize 40 numbers  in a few second, just with a look

I always thought it was based on number of writes on it, and also ejecting properly really does help long term to make it safer.

I found a interesting compassion of how long data lasts on certain media - https://www.storagecraft.com/blog/data-storage-lifespan/

One idea from it was to hide a paper wallet on a floppy disk.  Think of how many have floppy disk readers? very few.
michnelli6

Activity: 365
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 09:09:42 AM

I do not have much knowledge on pen drive storage. For long term storage we must need SSD. May be cost of buying is high but for a secured next generation saving we must go for SSD (Solid State Disk).
prodigy8

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 09:15:39 AM

I do not have much knowledge on pen drive storage. For long term storage we must need SSD. May be cost of buying is high but for a secured next generation saving we must go for SSD (Solid State Disk).

This is completely wrong and i will not suggest anyone to hide your paper wallet in a SSD.
For long term this is not recommended because if SSD has no electricity for a long time, the data inside can be erased.
Try to hide your paper wallet somewhere where you think that nobody will touch, or will have no idea about that place.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 10:38:08 AM

This is completely wrong and i will not suggest anyone to hide your paper wallet in a SSD.
For long term this is not recommended because if SSD has no electricity for a long time, the data inside can be erased.
Try to hide your paper wallet somewhere where you think that nobody will touch, or will have no idea about that place.

you can run your ssd on a different network, or even without any connection, just so it remain active with electricity and all

it would still be a cold storage, last time i've checked could storage mean only off line, not switched off completely
jt byte

Activity: 994
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 01:51:11 PM

stick a piece of paper in your wall

This is actually not a horrible idea.   I cannot remember the spy movie but they did this.  What they did was had a vent or something that allowed a straight drop of item and used magnets.

So say you stored your paper storage in the wall with a magnet on it.  You use a string with another magnet on it and you can "fish" it out when needed.  Only problem is fire etc that destroy it.

Safe's do not have the fire issue assuming nice safe.

Isolate it with good metal, then covering that with aluminum that the fire does not destroy etc.
Since you have access to the wall that would not be problem even if someone will start destroying your house.
Another place to hide the paper wallet i would consider blank pipes(10cm extension) in your water installation huh?

Covering it with aluminium would not change anything, the heat will still be transferred to the paper and thus all that will be left is dust. You could print the key with metal or some such, but the best thing to do is definitively have several backups.

I don't know how is it called in english but firefighters use them.
It is against fire and it can protect the paper too from the fire.
Having several backups is the best idea for everything not just for the paper wallet but also for sensitive files/data, another idea?

There's flame retardant and you can stack them together in a hard enclosure, common in flame retardants safe. But they only give you time, meaning if you do not extinguish the fire quick enough, the content will still burn.

Instead imagine a steel QR cube. It could be grabbed easily with magnets too!

I mean the material that firefighters wears, it's something aluminum.
So that can protect the paper wallet from the fire.
But it is recommended to have more than 2-3 backups so this is not enough.
Proxiebuier

Activity: 364

View Profile
October 16, 2015, 02:00:28 PM

i should start to memorize my whole private key, in the past i was able to memorize 40 numbers in a few second, just with a look

im not sure about it, but i think it's not wrong if you can save at safety place Cheesy
anyway i create 1 paperwallet print it, I wrap it with plastic and save on my secret cupboard
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 12:20:24 AM

This is actually not a horrible idea.   I cannot remember the spy movie but they did this.  What they did was had a vent or something that allowed a straight drop of item and used magnets.

So say you stored your paper storage in the wall with a magnet on it.  You use a string with another magnet on it and you can "fish" it out when needed.  Only problem is fire etc that destroy it.

Isolate it with good metal, then covering that with aluminum that the fire does not destroy etc.
Since you have access to the wall that would not be problem even if someone will start destroying your house.
Another place to hide the paper wallet i would consider blank pipes(10cm extension) in your water installation huh?

Covering it with aluminium would not change anything, the heat will still be transferred to the paper and thus all that will be left is dust. You could print the key with metal or some such, but the best thing to do is definitively have several backups.

Having several backups is the best idea for everything not just for the paper wallet but also for sensitive files/data, another idea?

There's flame retardant and you can stack them together in a hard enclosure, common in flame retardants safe. But they only give you time, meaning if you do not extinguish the fire quick enough, the content will still burn.

Like i said, there is only fire retardants. Thinking you can Fireproof it by covering it is a fallacy. Everything has a melting point so you can't protect paper from fire indefinitively unless you put it 6 feets under.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 02:33:27 AM

This is actually not a horrible idea.   I cannot remember the spy movie but they did this.  What they did was had a vent or something that allowed a straight drop of item and used magnets.

So say you stored your paper storage in the wall with a magnet on it.  You use a string with another magnet on it and you can "fish" it out when needed.  Only problem is fire etc that destroy it.

Like i said, there is only fire retardants. Thinking you can Fireproof it by covering it is a fallacy. Everything has a melting point so you can't protect paper from fire indefinitively unless you put it 6 feets under.

This is why safes have fire ratings.  Higher quality safes last longer and hotter fires.   It all depends on the safe.  

Here is a example of the label:

VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 02:41:26 AM

This is actually not a horrible idea.   I cannot remember the spy movie but they did this.  What they did was had a vent or something that allowed a straight drop of item and used magnets.

So say you stored your paper storage in the wall with a magnet on it.  You use a string with another magnet on it and you can "fish" it out when needed.  Only problem is fire etc that destroy it.

This is why safes have fire ratings.  Higher quality safes last longer and hotter fires.   It all depends on the safe.  

Here is a example of the label:

Exactly.

As such there would be also a location to where best place your wallet backup or cold wallet. A basement would be best, in a corner, since there are much less flammable thing around.

As such its possible that not enough heat will ever be applied to the safe. Concrete isint particularly good for combustion. Tongue

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
Sir_lagsalot

Activity: 392
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 04:34:31 AM

The bank vault. Aren't they temp. controlled?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 05:16:16 AM

The bank vault. Aren't they temp. controlled?

Yes and they have advanced fire suppression system. There's also not much flammable inside a vault made of metal. But fire shouldn't be really a risk if you put a backup in a bank.

Its definitively a good place to store a encrypted backup of your wallet. Even if it get seized because your government don't respect civil rights or something, its not a big deal.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
UserVVIP

Activity: 294

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 05:20:39 AM

You should hide you wallet where you best think that no one will find it.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 06:17:53 AM

You should hide you wallet where you best think that no one will find it.

It's not quite this simple. You need it to be protected from possible damage.  This could be from elements such as water, or fire, etc. 

If you have the safest place in your house does not matter if not protected.  And you really do need fire and water.   If house catches fire..... firemen use water to stop it.  So in "bad situations" if its not protected from both could be bad.
Scream

Activity: 476

U will never know the true answer, before you try

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 06:23:46 AM

Secret hidden safe under sliding floor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd0Bkju0eWs

or you can use clock with hidden place like this

confirmation120

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 07:07:04 AM

I suggest adding an encryption will make it alot safer and useless if someone acquires it.
Supercrypt
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:41:14 AM

I suggest adding an encryption will make it alot safer and useless if someone acquires it.

Adding an encryption to a paper wallet? absolutely news to me.
Hiding a paper wallet is equivalent to hiding currency notes from robbers as well as protection against decay. Multiple copy with water proof in safe locker or in your home hidden locker would do your wish.
iram66680

Activity: 630
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 17, 2015, 11:55:56 AM

Hiding a paper wallet is equivalent to hiding currency notes from robbers as well as protection against decay. Multiple copy with water proof in safe locker or in your home hidden locker would do your wish.
It is not new and is in fact in use widely for a long time. BIP38 encryption is easy to implement on paper wallets and it is quite bruteforce resistent as long as you use a long password. Paper wallet isn't exactly safe if the host computer has vulnerabilities.

CasioK

Activity: 826

View Profile
October 23, 2015, 04:00:28 AM

It is not new and is in fact in use widely for a long time. BIP38 encryption is easy to implement on paper wallets and it is quite bruteforce resistent as long as you use a long password. Paper wallet isn't exactly safe if the host computer has vulnerabilities.

Is it possible. I wonder. If some one explains with URLs it would be more useful for me to make my paper wallets more secure. So far I thought only encryption are possible with electronic media alone. It may be more useful if we can do with a paper information also.

INVALID BBCODE: close of unopened tag in table (1)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: