Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:01:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you believe the singularity will come?
Yes, undoubtedly within the next week or so
Yes, probably this decade.
Yes, probably within my lifetime.
Yes, probably this century.
Yes, but probably not for a long time.
No.
What's the singularity?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Singularity  (Read 4577 times)
caffeinewriter (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 08:52:14 PM

Just thought I'd start a singularity thread on here. After being reminded by someone on here about it, I decided to start a discussion thread for it.

Also, for those who are interested, there's this site.

http://www.isthesingularityhereyet.com/

(Try hitting [Ctrl]+U or that funky little Mac key + U and checking out the source)

Anyways, discuss!

Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 08:59:59 PM

It would be helpful if you would share your own thoughs on this topic. Of course, a lot has already been covered by Ray Kurtzweil in his well known book: The Singularity is Near (2005). I liked the book very much, but the collection of his single articles from round about 2003 is better.

In essence, I am very interested to see whether any of Ray's thoughts come into existence. However, I get the feeling that it is more a wish to have a 'Jetsons' world within 30 years than that it is based on reality. Yes, computers and software will greatly improve in speed and power. Yes, so many things have accelerated over time. But we need to take one vital element into account: human nature. And we humans do not take change very easy.

Secondly, nature can be delicate and brisk. I would consider us extremely lucky to reach singularity before we unleash something that will wreak nature's wrath  Shocked Cool

cedivad
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 09:01:09 PM

I really don't bother asking anyway. No, it will never come. I will have to stop believing in some kind of higher entity (that doesn't have to be God or whatever) when the Singularity will come.

Source is funny.

My anger against what is wrong in the Bitcoin community is productive:
Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
Hashfast.org - Wiki for screwed customers
caffeinewriter (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 09:05:31 PM

I believe that it will come out of mankind's inevitable desire to constantly create better entities. Thirty years ago, we had computers the size of entire rooms that had relatively little processing power (compared to today). Today's computers can fit on our laps, and have the power of the thirty year old computers tenfold. Technological advancements are near exponential, so I think the singularity is inevitable if the human race doesn't exterminate itself first.

cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 09:08:01 PM

Sure, you will have incredibly faster computers.

But how do you tell your pc how to think?

If you can do it, just hire a supercomputer and wait a few years while he processes his infancy and says "hello".

Don't you think it would have already be done?

Bitcointa.lk - Replace "Bitcointalk.org" with "Bitcointa.lk" in this url to see how this page looks like on a proper forum (Announcement Thread)
caffeinewriter (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 09:17:21 PM

Sure, you will have incredibly faster computers.

But how do you tell your pc how to think?

If you can do it, just hire a supercomputer and wait a few years while he processes his infancy and says "hello".

Don't you think it would have already be done?

I'll just leave these here:

http://www-03.ibm.com/innovation/us/watson/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artificial_intelligence_projects

It's not the things we've already built that will achieve singularity, but the things we're trying to build. We're trying to build cognitive systems that can recognize their existence and understand topics without human modification to the base of it. Things so far only the human mind has been able to do.

cedivad
Legendary

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 09:31:34 PM

Watson is nothing more than the "I feel lucky" google function. I readed the wired article about it.
I will check the Wikipedia entries.

underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 09:38:17 PM

I don't get it...

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
SaintDevil

Activity: 126

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 09:44:40 PM

Just thought I'd start a singularity thread on here. After being reminded by someone on here about it, I decided to start a discussion thread for it.

(Try hitting [Ctrl]+U or that funky little Mac key + U and checking out the source)

Anyways, discuss!

Hm, did I inspire you for a thread.  Tongue

I believe in singularity cuz you would think it's kind of inevitable. History shows computing power doubles every decade. I think it's faster now.
Scientists were saying something that we will achieve full singularity at around 2045, time when we will be at that point where we merge with technologies by upgrading ourselves.
Mmm, so exciting.
Hm, I so wish I could have a memory cheap implanted in my brain that can just download information ... Roll Eyes

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Only if it's legal where you are: Legal Bud
PM if you need to translate to Russian or the other way around.
caffeinewriter (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2012, 10:07:55 PM

Anyways, discuss!

Hm, did I inspire you for a thread.  Tongue

I believe in singularity cuz you would think it's kind of inevitable. History shows computing power doubles every decade. I think it's faster now.
Scientists were saying something that we will achieve full singularity at around 2045, time when we will be at that point where we merge with technologies by upgrading ourselves.
Mmm, so exciting.
Hm, I so wish I could have a memory cheap implanted in my brain that can just download information ... Roll Eyes

You certainly did Smiley And I agree.

dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:23:18 AM

It will happen at the end of the year.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Nolo

Activity: 686

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:27:21 AM

December 21, 2012 undoubtedly....

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
underminer

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:34:13 AM

When bitcoins half.  *gasp*

caffeinewriter (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:40:32 AM

The Mayans knew about the Singularity  Roll Eyes

underminer

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:44:44 AM

I don't really get it break it down somebody plz.

Nolo

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:53:23 AM

From Wikipedia: 

The technological singularity is the theoretical emergence of greater-than-human superintelligence through technological means. Since the capabilities of such intelligence would be difficult for an unaided human mind to comprehend, the occurrence of a technological singularity is seen as an intellectual event horizon, beyond which events cannot be predicted or understood.

Proponents of the singularity typically state that an "intelligence explosion", where superintelligences design successive generations of increasingly powerful minds, might occur very quickly and might not stop until the agent's cognitive abilities greatly surpass that of any human.

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:53:52 AM

As did the Mayans, Aztecs and Chinese.

Humans are becoming consciously aware of our state of existence.  The human soul is composed of ego and consciousness.  Ego is your sense of self, it's based on all your life experiences.  Ego grows itself through fear, greed, hate, anything negative.  Consciousness is love and only grows itself off more love.  When people learn this and apply it to their life, you are able to live a life of love without hate, without negativity, without ego.  Ego is what locks us to earth physics.  When we truly reach singularity, the entire planet will be washed of ego, leaving only love.  In the absence of ego, we are not restrained to our current concept of life, anything you believe is possible.  If you tune your DNA's frequency higher, to love, you can do anything at the end of the year.  Consciousness is evolving and we all have the choice to partake, you just need love.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Nolo

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 02:59:11 AM

As did the Mayans, Aztecs and Chinese.

Humans are becoming consciously aware of our state of existence.  The human soul is composed of ego and consciousness.  Ego is your sense of self, it's based on all your life experiences.  Ego grows itself through fear, greed, hate, anything negative.  Consciousness is love and only grows itself off more love.  When people learn this and apply it to their life, you are able to live a life of love without hate, without negativity, without ego.  Ego is what locks us to earth physics.  When we truly reach singularity, the entire planet will be washed of ego, leaving only love.  In the absence of ego, we are not restrained to our current concept of life, anything you believe is possible.  If you tune your DNA's frequency higher, to love, you can do anything at the end of the year.  Consciousness is evolving and we all have the choice to partake, you just need love.

Sir!  Put down the bong and slowly step away! 

underminer

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 04:58:34 AM

So.... the matrix?

caffeinewriter (OP)

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 05:02:55 AM

So.... the matrix?

Soon to be inception as well. Matriception. Inceptrix.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: