Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 11:43:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do you believe the singularity will come?
Yes, undoubtedly within the next week or so
Yes, probably this decade.
Yes, probably within my lifetime.
Yes, probably this century.
Yes, but probably not for a long time.
No.
What's the singularity?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Singularity  (Read 4575 times)
underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 05:12:16 AM

Have you seen the never ending matrix story?

http://www.gagbay.com/gag/the_neverending_matrix_story-56387/

Its worth a click.  Anyway, I am most reminded of the "akashic records" the more I read about this concept.  In the tv show eureka, its a big part of the storyline in the first couple seasons until they drop it completely lol.

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jojo69
Legendary

Activity: 3164
Merit: 4345

diamond-handed zealot

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 05:20:47 AM

I don't see how it can not happen.  I really hope humanity destroys itself, but I fear we will give birth to something far worse first.

This is not some pseudoeconomic post-modern Libertarian cult, it's an un-led, crowd-sourced mega startup organized around mutual self-interest where problems, whether of the theoretical or purely practical variety, are treated as temporary and, ultimately, solvable.
Censorship of e-gold was easy. Censorship of Bitcoin will be… entertaining.
caffeinewriter (OP)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 05:47:36 AM

I think humans are collectively destined to destroy ourselves. The question is how much we take down with us.

Mr. Coinman

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 06:40:59 AM

The simulation theory questions the realness of reality. Let's imagine that our reality and all forms of life were crafted by higher beings, who are on a completely different level of consciousness than we are. 'Gods', if you will. What if their intentions were not to create intelligent beings? What if they had only meant to create the most basic forms of life? Well as luck had it, those forms evolved into more advanced forms, and lo and behold, after billions of years - human beings!

Humans started out as primitive and naive. But over a span of hundreds of thousands of years, we have made many technological advances. When humans created the first electronic device, who knew that would eventually lead to the invention of the computer? Who knew just decades later, artificial intelligence would come about and would be used for an array of real-world applications? If humanity continues to insist on playing god, the emergence of technological singularity is inevitable.

benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 07:24:22 AM

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
dank
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 06:41:19 PM

The simulation theory questions the realness of reality. Let's imagine that our reality and all forms of life were crafted by higher beings, who are on a completely different level of consciousness than we are. 'Gods', if you will. What if their intentions were not to create intelligent beings? What if they had only meant to create the most basic forms of life? Well as luck had it, those forms evolved into more advanced forms, and lo and behold, after billions of years - human beings!

Humans started out as primitive and naive. But over a span of hundreds of thousands of years, we have made many technological advances. When humans created the first electronic device, who knew that would eventually lead to the invention of the computer? Who knew just decades later, artificial intelligence would come about and would be used for an array of real-world applications? If humanity continues to insist on playing god, the emergence of technological singularity is inevitable.
We are the gods that created our reality.

13oZY8zzWEp48XZpEEi8zSkYJF5AWR2vXc DMhYmNzMnU2Avgu7sF3GSDybHumj8XH8V8
Currently seeking plot of land to host 1,000,000+ person music festival
Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
Nolo

Activity: 686

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 07:03:24 PM

I think humans are collectively destined to destroy ourselves. The question is how much we take down with us.

I agree with this statement with one exception. 

If we hold off on making our species extinct long enough to get off of this planet, then that greatly reduces the likelihood of total extinction.  The question in my mind is which comes first:

Do we escape the confines of planet Earth first?  Or do we kill ourselves first?

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
SaintDevil

Activity: 126

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 07:10:54 PM

In the end humans will stay, people who support environment and regenerative medicine will become elves, people who likes to destroy everything will become orcs, people who master science will become wizards and the life will bloom.  Tongue

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
Only if it's legal where you are: Legal Bud
PM if you need to translate to Russian or the other way around.
myrkul

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 07:12:29 PM

In the end humans will stay, people who support environment and regenerative medicine will become elves, people who likes to destroy everything will become orcs, people who master science will become wizards and the life will bloom.  Tongue

I think I read that book. Wink

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
dank
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 07:16:17 PM

The destruction of our race is a result of ego.   Even if we colonized other planets, we wouldn't solve the problem, ego.  As long as people look out for their self over others, we will always have the same problem with ego.

Luckily, part of evolution is for humanity to become aware of ego and it's harmful effects on society.  The next leap in evolution is man's collective ego death.

Dankmusic - Hear the impossible, feel the impossible, be the impossible dankmusic.org dankcoin.org
underminer

Activity: 210

Not for hire.

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 07:34:58 PM

Sort of like the "Origins II" halo short?

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
Mr. Coinman

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 09:10:22 PM

The destruction of our race is a result of ego.   Even if we colonized other planets, we wouldn't solve the problem, ego.  As long as people look out for their self over others, we will always have the same problem with ego.

Luckily, part of evolution is for humanity to become aware of ego and it's harmful effects on society.  The next leap in evolution is man's collective ego death.

Now how do you suppose this 'ego death' will come about?

myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 09:17:16 PM

It's already happening.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Mr. Coinman

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 10:08:17 PM

It's already happening.

Really? I think at this very moment the world is more corrupt and filled with greed than ever before. Humanity's ego can only be inflating.

SaintDevil

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 10:20:55 PM

Shocked didn't know there was a book

It's already happening.

Really? I think at this very moment the world is more corrupt and filled with greed than ever before. Humanity's ego can only be inflating.

There are always good and bad people.
Are you saying that at times when people were heading wards onto each other because their religion views were different there was less corruption and greed?

Join pyraming and let someone else host the equipment http://pyramining.com/referral/934khztg6
myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 24, 2012, 11:04:56 PM

It's similar to the plot of the Shannara series of books, but I haven't read them all, so I don't know the whole story.

Oh, it is, but "Pride goeth before the fall." Eventually, the ego will collapse under it's own weight. Societal nervous breakdown.

dank
Legendary

You cannot kill love

View Profile
October 24, 2012, 11:23:16 PM

It's already happening.

It happens on an individual level, but each individual effects their surroundings directly, so the more people that love, the more it spreads to.  Each human must chose to act with love over ego.  Another way to look at singularity is the end of duality between ego and love.

SaintDevil

Web Programmer, Gamer

View Profile
October 25, 2012, 07:53:36 AM

It's similar to the plot of the Shannara series of books, but I haven't read them all, so I don't know the whole story.

Interesting, maybe I could find time to read them. I just always thought if our technology would evolve a bit it could possible to make some things true like elves; with the help of regenerative medicine and studies from Dr. Aubrey De Grey.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
October 25, 2012, 07:57:16 AM

Interesting, maybe I could find time to read them. I just always thought if our technology would evolve a bit it could possible to make some things true like elves; with the help of regenerative medicine and studies from Dr. Aubrey De Grey.

Now that is closer to the plot of the Council War series. Nanites used to reconfigure people into elves and orcs and even Dragons.

Mr. Coinman

View Profile
October 26, 2012, 08:10:38 PM

It's already happening.

There are always good and bad people.
Are you saying that at times when people were heading wards onto each other because their religion views were different there was less corruption and greed?

Are you saying that still doesn't happen? Because it does.

Take a look at this article: http://chronicle.com/article/The-Psychopath-Makeover/135160/

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: