Bitcoin Forum
June 29, 2024, 12:44:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 164 »
  Print  
Author Topic: What's stopping people from using bitcoin?  (Read 202115 times)
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 07:49:35 PM

Bitcoin wallets are protected by our identifier,then our password then 2fa and then another password atleast the wallet of blockchain have those all safety features.People not using because the country they live doesnt support bitcoin.If the countries accept bitcoin,we would see it at some shops as an payment option.
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 08:12:42 PM

Because bitcoin is harder to use than flat money. It doesn't have any physical form, just all virtual.
There's a lot of people out there that even dont understand how to open a website.

in short, a lot of people didn't understand.

Money in your bank account is also displayed as virtual currency. Once you go to an ATM you get your physical money. Most people nowadays pay with their smartphone to not deal with physical money and for easyness. That's also all virtual.
stromma44

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 08:28:19 PM

Because bitcoin is harder to use than flat money. It doesn't have any physical form, just all virtual.
There's a lot of people out there that even dont understand how to open a website.

Money in your bank account is also displayed as virtual currency. Once you go to an ATM you get your physical money. Most people nowadays pay with their smartphone to not deal with physical money and for easyness. That's also all virtual.

You cannot say it as an virtual as you are dealing with fiat currency, and people are not using bitcoins only because they are not aware about it, they need a proper guidance so that they can view bitcoin as a positive currency and start using it with a positive mindset.
knightkon

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 08:41:03 PM

What's stopping people from using bitcoin are all the scam artists who are attracted to the technology.  People are afraid to associate themselves with a product that has a bad reputation and they are afraid of having their money stolen by thieves that they can't catch...That's what's stopping people from using bitcoin....scams!
Yeah. The reputation of Bitcoin does take a hit from how it's known to be used in dark web purchases and ponzis. The Mt. Gox incident also ruptured the reputation ob bitcoins. I guess people think that it's unsound to have the same currency as criminals, or they don't understand how it works and don't have enough faith to check it out.

It just too complicated and full of dangers for common people to get into it. And what will they actually accomplish? They can't use it anywhere, it's a hassle to even get a hold of, mostly if you are not in the States. What's the point? Bitcoin is an amazing innovative technology, no doubt about it, but it may take decades to evolve, just like the Internet was in the 90s.

well that is our advantage as we can be considered early adopters. eventually bitcoins will be known and people will use this its inevitable so long as the community uses btc
There are people like me out there trying to make this happen.  The issues we are having is that these states in the USDA are making their own rules requiring these large fees to be able to start working with Bitcoin and there is no reason for this.  All it is doing is causing problems with making the currency work world wide.

███████████████████████████
██████████▄▄███▄▄██████████
████████▄█████████▄████████
██████▄█████████████▄██████
█████▄███████████████▄█████
█████▀███████████████▀█████
███████▀███████████▀███████
█████████▀███████▀█████████
███████████▀███▀███████████
.BITAMP..
   BITAMP BITCOIN WALLET   
Easy to use, client-side, &
open-source Bitcoin wallet
████████▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄████████
████▄▀▀▀   ▄▄█▄▄   ▀▀▀▄████
█████ ▀▄▄▀▀     ▀▀▄▄▀ █████
█████  █    ███    █  █████
█████  █   ▄███▄   █  █████
█████  █  ███████  █  █████
████▀▄ ▀▄ ███████ ▄▀ ▄▀████
█████▀▄ ▀▄       ▄▀ ▄▀█████
██████▀▄  ▀▄▄ ▄▄▀  ▄▀██████
████████▀▄   █   ▄▀████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▀▀██████████
████▄▀▀▀▄  ▄███▄  ▄▀▀▀▄████
█████   █ ▐█████▌ █   █████
███▄▄▀ ▀▄  ▀███▀  ▄▀ ▀▄▄███
██      ▄██▀▀▀██▄      ███
██     ███▄███ ███     ███
███▄▄▄▄ █████▄▄████ ▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████████████
█████████████████▄▄▄▄█▄████
███████████████████████▀███
█████▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▄▄████████
███████▄▀  ▄█▄█▄  ▀▄███████
██████▄▀   █    █  ▀▄██████
███████    █▀▀▀▀▄   ███████
██████▀▄   █    █  ▄▀██████
███████▀▄  ▀█▀█▀  ▄▀███████
████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄█████
███▄███████████████████████
████▀█▀▀▀▀█████████████████
|SECURE
ANONYMOUS
INSTANT
umaOuma

Activity: 938

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 10:33:39 PM

That is the biggest problem that we are facing and we want that more and more people adopt bitcoin as a currency but they don't want to learn something new and hesitate to invest in crypto and they don't have faith in virtual currency.
wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 10:54:18 PM

are you really serious abot people out there dont even know how to open a website , really ? where you at i dont find anyone around me who can not open a website

and also i dot think so there is anything stopping people to use bitcoins people are using it, look at the traffic rank of blockchain and coinbase that is the proof people are using it

makingwin1

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 11:08:17 PM

i dont think that there are some things that stop people from using bitcoins as there are no laws against it in most countries, i believe they are afraid that bitcoin price will go to 0
Palinanv

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 03:35:39 AM

It's the uneducated masses keeping people from Bitcoin. They need to educate themselves in this situation to understand it better.
cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1017

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2016, 03:53:55 AM

It is events like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1158117.msg12751847#msg12751847

And events like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1306301.0

That is stopping people from using bitcoin.  Those are two recent scams that have taken place.  The first was an elaborate crowdsale scam, complete with professional looking website and worldstartupmap, which scammed 330 BTC out of its investors.

The second was a trusted escrow service provider that is suspected of running off with the funds stored in escrow.

Those two events reflect the current state of bitcoin and does not reflect the reputation that MtGox or the Silk Road pinned to bitcoin in the past.  To many, bitcoin is a liability and not an asset.  It is hard to convince the world to consider the amazing world changing potential bitcoin has when we are constantly battling those who conspire to ruin its reputation with their scams.  
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 08:55:32 AM

It is events like this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1158117.msg12751847#msg12751847

That is stopping people from using bitcoin.  Those are two recent scams that have taken place.  The first was an elaborate crowdsale scam, complete with professional looking website and worldstartupmap, which scammed 330 BTC out of its investors.

The second was a trusted escrow service provider that is suspected of running off with the funds stored in escrow.

Those two events reflect the current state of bitcoin and does not reflect the reputation that MtGox or the Silk Road pinned to bitcoin in the past.  To many, bitcoin is a liability and not an asset.  It is hard to convince the world to consider the amazing world changing potential bitcoin has when we are constantly battling those who conspire to ruin its reputation with their scams.  

having a trusted escrow running with funds is very rare, it happened only this time, we can compare it with a bank going bankrupt, in that case you would lose everything like it happened in this case

so i see not real situation that won't happen with the fiat system anyway
cjmoles
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1017

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2016, 09:54:03 AM

Those two events reflect the current state of bitcoin and does not reflect the reputation that MtGox or the Silk Road pinned to bitcoin in the past.  To many, bitcoin is a liability and not an asset.  It is hard to convince the world to consider the amazing world changing potential bitcoin has when we are constantly battling those who conspire to ruin its reputation with their scams.  

having a trusted escrow running with funds is very rare, it happened only this time, we can compare it with a bank going bankrupt, in that case you would lose everything like it happened in this case

so i see not real situation that won't happen with the fiat system anyway

I understand your point; however, many people in the United States view bitcoin as a liability because of it's bad reputation.  They have comfort in the fact that their money is federally insured and they can always get a charge back on their bankcards if a service provider doesn't provide the services it promised.  To those people, the bad reputation of bitcoin that results from negative occurrences, such as those contained within the citations above, stop them from using bitcoin.
jethrorn99

Activity: 224

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 12:17:31 PM

are you really serious abot people out there dont even know how to open a website , really ? where you at i dont find anyone around me who can not open a website

and also i dot think so there is anything stopping people to use bitcoins people are using it, look at the traffic rank of blockchain and coinbase that is the proof people are using it
I'm serious. In Indonesia, there's a lot of people in my country that still need to open websites like facebook by opening google first, then open facebook.
The education of Technology in my country are bad. Real Bad.
avw1982

Activity: 644

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 01:09:46 PM

Complexity of using bitcoin is a problem.

Its easier to use cash and credit cards for everyday shopping, and I doubt it will change. Cash can always be used without internet, bitcoin not. Credit cards and paypal confirmations are instant, whereas for bitcoin it is about 10 min, but usually more.

Also people get their salaries with fiat or directly to their bank. No need to get to excahnges, pay exchange fees, etc.

Finally if people use credit card or payal, you can charge back on mistakes. If chargebacks were possible in bitcoin, for example, situations like this could be avoided:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3yklrd/accidentally_sent_btc_to_bitmixer_donation/

Nope People from the common middle doesn.t aware of bitcoin still they don't what is bitcoin. they don't is there any digital form currency nothing. This is just because lack of awareness in Bitcoin. We have to create that in social networks about that. But we are not doing that.
cointtoo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 01:20:54 PM

lack in Ease of use is one of the things preventing people from using BTC, now with a credit card you simply do not need to do anything but hold the card and pass it  in a device, BTC require a little more, also it's value is not stable to USD but floating which is not convenient for your typical money transmission method.

♦  Bitcoin-Scratchticket.com  ♦   ♦  Win Bitcoin Playing Scratchtickets  ♦    ♦  Provably Fair  ♦ 
umaOuma

Activity: 938

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 03:40:17 PM

lack in Ease of use is one of the things preventing people from using BTC, now with a credit card you simply do not need to do anything but hold the card and pass it  in a device, BTC require a little more, also it's value is not stable to USD but floating which is not convenient for your typical money transmission method.

Ya right and people are used to credit cards as they are using it since long time, and for them using bitcoins is something very new, and as they are not aware about the bitcoins they will not use it, but people are guided in a proper manner then they would surely start using bitcoins, lack of knowledge is responsible for it.
EdenHazard
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1048

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 06:21:00 PM

In my opinion, maybe because the price is fluctuating. So, they fear that if the price drops drastically.
price of gold, and oil stocks also fluctuate, and no one can guarantee the price will be stable, but why are they afraid to fluctuations in the price of bitcoin?

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
knowhow

Activity: 560

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 08:07:06 PM

The most people dont need bitcoin as they dont have were to spend it!Womans like to shop ,open a store and accept bitcoin soo the mans can gift them and well they can talk each others saying i paid with bitcoin,my man gaved me and i bought a new jeans with it,im inloved for bitcoin even not knowing what it is.This is something that must be done,some shops should allow bitcoin as payments,but with the current financial problems over the world may be fast the increase of interest into bitcoin.
fricircled

Activity: 201

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 08:49:36 PM

In my opinion, maybe because the price is fluctuating. So, they fear that if the price drops drastically.
price of gold, and oil stocks also fluctuate, and no one can guarantee the price will be stable, but why are they afraid to fluctuations in the price of bitcoin?

But the volatility of the price of gold and oil stocks are usually quite small, although the volatility increased recently.
newcoins1978

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 10:18:57 PM

The most people dont need bitcoin as they dont have were to spend it!Womans like to shop ,open a store and accept bitcoin soo the mans can gift them and well they can talk each others saying i paid with bitcoin,my man gaved me and i bought a new jeans with it,im inloved for bitcoin even not knowing what it is.This is something that must be done,some shops should allow bitcoin as payments,but with the current financial problems over the world may be fast the increase of interest into bitcoin.

True, the problem is people are not aware of bitcoin and so they don't need it.
The moment they see shops with a bitcoin accepted badge they will become interested.
TheBoyWonder

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 10:22:51 PM

too hard for average user to grasp. too many steps involved. adoption just will  not happen.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... 164 »
  Print  

Jump to: