Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:40:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL ASICs featured in issue #4 of Bitcoin Magazine  (Read 4807 times)
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 11:31:25 PM

Smiley

I guessed right, 65nm, big surprise?

The disturbing thing is they are using Full Custom ASIC, at 65nm process node, at 60watts. (@60GH/s)

The competitor (bASIC) is using structured ASIC I believe and is below the 100watt mark on a 90nm process node. (@54GH/s)
Some leaked pictures show that it might be at around 58 to 60watts. But the caption was removed so it is hard to figure out if true or not.

Either way, for a smaller process node...not as efficient as it should be. Perhaps I am missing something....?

I know that 60 watts is an estimated and conservative figure.
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 06, 2012, 11:53:14 PM

Smiley

The disturbing thing is they are using Full Custom ASIC, at 65nm process node, at 60watts. (@60GH/s)

The competitor (bASIC) is using structured ASIC I believe and is below the 100watt mark on a 90nm process node. (@54GH/s)
Some leaked pictures show that it might be at around 58 to 60watts. But the caption was removed so it is hard to figure out if true or not.

Either way, for a smaller process node...not as efficient as it should be. Perhaps I am missing something....?

When did Tom say that they were using a structured ASIC?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 12:17:28 AM

Altera Hardcopy is "65nm" too.

Of course they won't admit that they are using it.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 12:27:24 AM

You're saying they are lying about creating a full custom ASIC?
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 12:41:22 AM

You're saying they are lying about creating a full custom ASIC?

Yes
2GOOD

Activity: 547
Merit: 531

First bits: 12good

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 12:49:20 AM

I don't see 65nm on the product page: http://goo.gl/LhjH7

ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 12:51:58 AM

Ok they probably are not using Altera Hardcopy.
Perhaps Xilinx Easypath? You see there are several companies who off fpga conversion "ASICs", I don't know them all.
MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 01:02:22 AM

Perhaps Xilinx Easypath? You see there are several companies who off fpga conversion "ASICs", I don't know them all.

Could you point us to which Hardcopy family members use a 68 pin 11mmx11mm QFN?
http://www.altera.com/devices/asic/hardcopy-asics/about/hrd-index.html
kjlimo
Legendary

Activity: 2086
Merit: 1031

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 01:45:06 AM

So is the lower the nm, the better?

so if someone came out with 20nm, that would be faster or use electricity than a 45nm chip?

Coinbase for selling BTCs
Fold for spending BTCs
PM me with any questions on these sites/apps!  http://www.montybitcoin.com

or Vircurex for trading alt cryptocurrencies like DOGEs
CoinNinja for exploring the blockchain.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 02:16:24 AM

So is the lower the nm, the better?

so if someone came out with 20nm, that would be faster or use electricity than a 45nm chip?
Probably both.
mrb
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 05:09:12 AM

You are wrong again, ElectricMucus. The few times I have made predictions(*) against "mainstream thoughts" in the Bitcoin world, I have always been right, and I will tell you: I predict SC is not based on a FPGA-to-ASIC chip.

(*) Just a few examples: I correctly estimated HD 7000's MHash per Joule before release, from theoretical computations based on its known process node. I correctly predicted pirateat40 was running a Ponzi when many refused to believe. I correctly predicted 65nm for the SC lineup. And I seem to be on a path to win my SC mining efficiency bet when people where ignorant enough to bet 50 BTC against me.

^ Prepare yourself to be appended to this list in the near future. I have the track record to justify my confidence Smiley
punin (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 08:22:12 AM

Smiley

The toggle-rate is so high that they are running the chips with much lower frequency that you would normally expect to run 65nm designs on to protect them from overheating. Had they gone with other package (eg. flip-chip), they could've run them at much higher clocks.

What leaked pictures are you referring to? URL?

Head of Product Development
Bitfury Group
www.bitfury.com
BFL-Engineer

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 10:17:20 AM

Regarding the chip being hardcopy or easypath or any other structured ASIC, please be advised that none of those chips come in small packages. They are all 480pin or above (BGA chips), not QFN. The reason behind it is that most industries going after hardcopy or easypth are the ones using the high IO count FPGA version of those chips (which are very expensive for a mass-produced product).

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Regards,
BFL-Engineer

BF Labs Inc.  www.butterflylabs.com   -  Bitcoin Mining Hardware
2GOOD

Activity: 547
Merit: 531

First bits: 12good

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 11:04:02 PM

Better later than never Wink

WE just have to wait and see.

BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 11:14:33 PM

My issue came yesterday Smiley

Read the article and now i'm thrilled to see an actual Product out and hashing!
If that happens i might consider buying one or two singles SC; or even more! (i won't preorder ..... that is not about to change since i don't like that "tactics" of bfl. Maybe if you had called it community funding with preorder guarantee back then, i would have.....  Wink)

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 06:11:06 AM

The toggle-rate is so high that they are running the chips with much lower frequency that you would normally expect to run 65nm designs on to protect them from overheating. Had they gone with other package (eg. flip-chip), they could've run them at much higher clocks.

Can the chip package be changed to a more thermally efficient design in a subsequent production run of chips without having to make a new mask, and incur a whole new set or NRE costs?

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
ChipGeek

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 06:23:01 AM

Can the chip package be changed to a more thermally efficient design in a subsequent production run of chips without having to make a new mask, and incur a whole new set or NRE costs?

This is an excellent question.  Here's my educated guess for an answer:  It is likely that a new mask would need to be made for the top layer at a minimum.

Edit: Yes flip-chip would be a much better thermal design.  We do flip-chip for our custom chips.

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 08:16:28 PM
Last edit: November 09, 2012, 12:16:08 AM by Maged

In the article is mentioned that these chips can in theory, run up to 16Gh/s max., but will not live long if pumped up to this. What is needed to overclock these single SC's chips to maybe 10-12Gh/s a piece, so a single would do 80-96Gh/s? Just the right mining software, or is a modded firmware needed?

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 08:18:13 PM

Well, they have the waterblock heatsink that could be used.  I bet that'd get some nice overclockz going.
bitboyben

Activity: 330
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 21, 2012, 05:05:07 AM

The article definately alludes to the chips running 50% theoretical I would guess another 50% (80-90Ghash for SC) would be safe with the right cooling set up. It doesn't really excite me as much as it used to because, hey everyone else is going to do it too.

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: