Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 07:18:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Now that Obama's in for 4 more...  (Read 2187 times)
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 10:48:12 PM

If it's going to happen, better to rip the bandaid off fast rather than the long slow agonizing pull, and hope it comes to a head in my lifetime to save my kids and grandbabies.

You want your kids to live in a  collapsed society?

What makes you think we aren't already?

The fact that I can buy food easily. 
Poor qualification. Food is readily available in Kenya and Somalia, as well.

That really is not a poor qualification, just a simple answer to a silly question.  With internet, power, medical care, entertainment and 'protection' all available (to most want it or not) the US is not a collapsed society. 

A more clever answer could have been.....

"Wait...."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 10:50:42 PM

If it's going to happen, better to rip the bandaid off fast rather than the long slow agonizing pull, and hope it comes to a head in my lifetime to save my kids and grandbabies.

That really is not a poor qualification, just a simple answer to a silly question.  With internet, power, medical care, entertainment and 'protection' all available (to most want it or not) the US is not a collapsed society. 

"Wait...."

Tell me this isn't collapsed: http://silverunderground.com/2012/11/the-police-state-is-spinning-out-of-control/
(or at least collapsing)

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 11:14:52 PM

"Wait...."

Tell me this isn't collapsed: http://silverunderground.com/2012/11/the-police-state-is-spinning-out-of-control/
(or at least collapsing)

It has not collapsed.  On the edge?  Maybe.  I 100% agree with the title of your link. 

myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 11:25:59 PM

It has not collapsed.  On the edge?  Maybe. 

You know that scene that's in like, every comedy movie, where the car is sitting on the edge of a cliff, and it wobbles back and forth, until a bird lands on the hood and down it goes?

We're in that car. Has the bird landed yet? Is it in the process of taking off again after sending us tipping? I'm not sure. But that horizon keeps moving up....

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 11:36:28 PM

...we can expect the price of bitcoin to increase even more as the USD continues to fail.
The USD gained on all major currencies today.  Up 0.42% against EUR.  Probably not due to Obama winning, since that is exactly as predicted by all betting companies during the entire race.  (Never mind the polls.  Polls are inaccurate.)

If anything is impacting the USD, it is the current deadlock in Congress.  Congress has become a Polish parliament.  The political climate is freezing cold, and everybody seems occupied in an eternal pissing contest.  The Fiscal Cliff is getting closer.  If Congress can't clear out the fog of damping piss and find a solution very soon, the U.S. credit rating will drop.  And that will have an impact.

Fortunately the Democrats gained in both chambers of Congress, on the expense of a few hard lined Tea partiers, and this gives slightly better odds of a solution.  Even Romney said he would close tax loopholes.  If they at least can agree on those, and let the Bush tax cuts expire, they will have time to make necessary cuts in public spending without sending the economy straight into recession.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 11:44:10 PM

...we can expect the price of bitcoin to increase even more as the USD continues to fail.
The USD gained on all major currencies today.  Up 0.42% against EUR.  Probably not due to Obama winning, since that is exactly as predicted by all betting companies during the entire race.  (Never mind the polls.  Polls are inaccurate.)

Actually most of the accepted scientific polls showed the Obama win.  It was FOX and other conservative outlets that consistently called those polls flawed and oversampled with democrats. 

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2012/11/skewed_polling_meets_energized_conservatives.html

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 11:46:52 PM

It has not collapsed.  On the edge?  Maybe.

You know that scene that's in like, every comedy movie, where the car is sitting on the edge of a cliff, and it wobbles back and forth, until a bird lands on the hood and down it goes?

We're in that car. Has the bird landed yet? Is it in the process of taking off again after sending us tipping? I'm not sure. But that horizon keeps moving up....

MythBusted...

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2012, 11:50:52 PM

Never mind the polls.  Polls are inaccurate.)

As of this writing, the only thing that's 'razor-thin' or 'too close to call' is the gap between the consensus poll forecast and the result.

It has not collapsed.  On the edge?  Maybe.

MythBusted...

Yes, I saw that episode. The debt is much, much bigger than a turkey buzzard.

firefop (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 07, 2012, 11:58:56 PM

If anything is impacting the USD, it is the current deadlock in Congress.  Congress has become a Polish parliament.  The political climate is freezing cold, and everybody seems occupied in an eternal pissing contest.  The Fiscal Cliff is getting closer.  If Congress can't clear out the fog of damping piss and find a solution very soon, the U.S. credit rating will drop.  And that will have an impact.

Fortunately the Democrats gained in both chambers of Congress, on the expense of a few hard lined Tea partiers, and this gives slightly better odds of a solution.  Even Romney said he would close tax loopholes.  If they at least can agree on those, and let the Bush tax cuts expire, they will have time to make necessary cuts in public spending without sending the economy straight into recession.

So based purely on on this post, I see you've sampled the kool-aid. There's no way that anyone can honestly say that democrats will actually will make 'necessary cuts'...

... wake up man. Increased tax revenue will only lead them to even more deficit spending, just like it always has in the past.

The only way to potentially save the economy would be to drastically cut taxes - and demand a balanced federal budget.

sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 01:09:13 AM

So based purely on on this post, I see you've sampled the kool-aid. There's no way that anyone can honestly say that democrats will actually will make 'necessary cuts'...
Then perhaps the republican majority will?

... wake up man. Increased tax revenue will only lead them to even more deficit spending, just like it always has in the past.
I'm not even going to begin on this one.  You obviously don't know your history.

The only way to potentially save the economy would be to drastically cut taxes - and demand a balanced federal budget.
In the long run, perhaps.  If you think throwing most government paid workers into unemployment this week, and at the same time cutting public investments in infrastructure and other projects will do any good to the economy, your are obviously on drugs.  Greece is trying a very mild version of this.  Cutting public spending while avoiding to do anything serious about their tax evasion problem.  Now look how well it works for them!  A tax increase is the only way to balance the budget in the short term without creating a massive recession.  And we will see if the republican majority will be able to keep the balance while cutting taxes when the economy allows it.

Much of the public debt comes from bank bailouts.  I'm sure the bankers are able to pay a little of that back now.  The bank managers are not getting thrown out of their homes.  Some do not even depend on charity to survive.  And what I really don't understand is why the giant oil companies should pay zero tax, and receive money back from the government on top!  Oh, yes I remember, it was Bush/Cheney who fixed that to help their poor hungry buddies in big oil.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 01:12:30 AM

You want your kids to live in a  collapsed society?

What's keeping you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QDv4sYwjO0 (yeah I know cheap, but I just had to...)
myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 01:36:53 AM

You want your kids to live in a  collapsed society?

What's keeping you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QDv4sYwjO0 (yeah I know cheap, but I just had to...)
Stock reply #413: Somalia's problem isn't no government, it's too many little ones
Stock reply #424: http://peterleeson.com/better_off_stateless.pdf

Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 01:49:45 AM

Too bad nobody has balanced the budget before.... oh wait... Bill Clinton did with slightly higher taxes for the rich and a reasonable bi-partisan budget.

Reagan tried your method of cutting taxes and hoping it would bring in more money.  Simple math says it does not work.  He tried.  Math was right. 

Now that federal spending is so high it needs to be cut across the board as well as the tax increases.  Only the combination can get there.

firefop (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:04:55 AM

Too bad nobody has balanced the budget before.... oh wait... Bill Clinton did with slightly higher taxes for the rich and a reasonable bi-partisan budget.

Reagan tried your method of cutting taxes and hoping it would bring in more money.  Simple math says it does not work.  He tried.  Math was right. 

Now that federal spending is so high it needs to be cut across the board as well as the tax increases.  Only the combination can get there.

Reagan sparked an economic boom that lasted until after clinton left office... clinton allowed the bank deregulation that effectively caused the recession we're in right now... and balanced budgets during his time were a republican coup (see Contract with America).

Economists actually blame bush jr. for his economic policy and leadership holding the economy together for 3 years after 9/11. But I digress.

~

As for your last line there --- we don't need to increase taxes to balance the budget, we need to reduce the size/cost of government by ~47% then freeze spending at that level. That done, as long as taxes are enough to cover the interest on the national debt + some reasonable extra to pay down that debt, we'd at least be on the road out of this mess.

I find it interesting that as bitcoiners we pretty much agree that bitcoin has the potential to break the back of the existing banking system if given adoption and time... but we can't agree on easy to verify economic history like when certain policy went into effect and what the result of that policy was.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 03:15:43 AM
Last edit: November 08, 2012, 04:29:37 AM by myrkul

I find it interesting that as bitcoiners we pretty much agree that bitcoin has the potential to break the back of the existing banking system if given adoption and time... but we can't agree on easy to verify economic history like when certain policy went into effect and what the result of that policy was.

That's the whole problem with the president thing... the market often takes longer than 4 (or even 8 ) years to fully react to a changed policy, so the current president often gets blame (and credit) for what the last guy did.

firefop (OP)

View Profile
November 08, 2012, 03:48:16 AM

That's the whole problem with the president thing... the market often takes longer than 4 (or even Cool years to fully react to a changed policy, so the current president often gets blame (and credit) for what the last guy did.

That and it's pretty much standard policy write things like regulation/deregulation and +tax/-tax to go into effect after the president is out of office...

Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 03:55:23 AM

Not possible to both cut taxes and get a balanced budget in the current political system.  Nice thought but the math just does not work.  

Increased taxes plus CUTS can lead to a balanced budget with politicians coding into law that the extra money needs to go to pay back the debt.  I doubt they will do it but it certainly is possible.  

http://www.factcheck.org/2008/02/the-budget-and-deficit-under-clinton/

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3024
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2012, 04:02:49 AM

We can't diminish what presidents and lesser elected officials do while in office. How many deaths, how many civil liberties violated, did they cause during their terms? These can be quantified. And if there were true justice in this world, they'd be punished at least as severely as Charles Taylor, Slobodan Milošević (had he not died in detention), and all other sociopaths from "unfavored states", for lack of a better term, rather than rewarded for the rest of their, and their families', lives.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: