Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:53:46 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it a waste of time mentioning Bitcoin to friends and family?  (Read 14645 times)
thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 05:37:26 PM

Many people think that Bitcoin is just an "virtual" currency and can't be real money
That's why we need more advertising Bitcoin

my father still refer to bitcoin as a fake money, i've explained to him that the real fake money are those printed out of thin air, but he is helpless

he only see it as a good way for speculation

It will take several decades for bitcoin to enter main stream. In the meanwhile, we have to work hard to promote it. No promotion, no adoption.

also the vast majority of btc user (even btc talk members) adopt bitcoin for speculation, "fast way to become rich".
But there are some other aspect that are distinct by it's value, take for example blockchain technology... well before talk about the "value" in dollars, it could be better start to talk about the advantage like low fees to send money, no government issues/stopping, and so on...

It's normal that people want to become more wealthy, that's not a problem. Also, promoting Bitcoin in the current stage for mainstream adoption is not a good idea in my opinion. It's better that it still stays as something that people in-the-know would understand, at least for 1 or 2 years more. The average joe is not ready for Bitcoin and Bitcoin is not ready for the average Joe. Once it is more polished, then we will take over the world I have no doubt about it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
n691309
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 08:33:52 PM

Many people think that Bitcoin is just an "virtual" currency and can't be real money
That's why we need more advertising Bitcoin

my father still refer to bitcoin as a fake money, i've explained to him that the real fake money are those printed out of thin air, but he is helpless

he only see it as a good way for speculation

It's not just your parent, mostly old people can't imagine that how many things are happening in the internet and how this is changing our daily life order, sometimes it is a waste of time to explain bitcoin to them but better than nothing.
knowhow

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2015, 08:54:16 PM

People are using internet do to some shop,as they know usually internet products are cheaper then go to the store,and even with the new minds,there is always some people that avoid use any detail about credit or debit card or any other kind of information.Bitcoin has 7 years almost,but the most companies avoid accept ,pay or other stuff related to bitcoin,even when there is several projects running with it,soo i may say give time to time ,the same way as bitcoin had boom into 1000 dollars ,i believe that we will achieve it again on the next years and the most people we talked about as family will say ouch if i had listen a bit more about it,my life could be different.
lahm-44

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 06:46:12 PM

It is worth talking to people about it even if it is just laying the foundation, sooner or later they will hear about bitcoin in the news and from other sources and will already have a little bit of understanding. 

It is always worth mentioning this forum as a place to go to start with then they can do as much or as little research as they like, there are also faucets which they can use to get some satoshi so they can see how it all works.

I have spoken to a few people but interest is quite low although when the price shot up last week they seemed a bit more interested
krunox123

Activity: 756

I don't bite.

View Profile WWW
January 14, 2016, 07:19:40 PM

IMO, yes. It is a waste of time to mention Bitcoin to my friends and family. I've show them the YouTube video on bitcoin.org repeatedly and it seems they will never get it. I was like, "Did you get it?" and they were like, "What was that?".
Some of my friends just don't give a fck about it. lol

Life sucks.
jmintuck02

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
January 14, 2016, 11:39:01 PM

I have talked to people about btc and have gotten a few interested parties and some weren't as interested. It is hit and

miss with people. Sometimes and sometimes not. I have met acquaintances that have  been interested because they

have heard about it on the news at one point or other.

fuathan

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

Aleph.im

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 12:30:38 AM

You need to have a well balance of life and bitcoin  Cheesy
lahm-44

Activity: 336

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 07:48:51 AM

No, just because your not seeing any results from the efforts you've made til now for introducing bitcoin, doesn't mean it's a waste of time... I would have surprised if they understood how it works and how great it is in terms of use and its potential... I've tried to go step by step since I'm the only tech person in my family (it sucks) and explaining to them the BTCitcoin is like explaining a college algebra to a elementary kid so it really takes time before they get a piece of how it works...I'm getting close there but it's just really hard teaching non tech people about it specially if their old...I suggest to gather them all up and try to compile some videos from YouTube that explains it real good and let them watch from time to time... I've seen positive results this way in shorter amount of time since the known speakers of BTCitcoin community do know how to attract people to BTCitcoin
Supercrypt
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1054

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 03:42:05 PM

I have talked to people about btc and have gotten a few interested parties and some weren't as interested. It is hit and

miss with people. Sometimes and sometimes not. I have met acquaintances that have  been interested because they

have heard about it on the news at one point or other.

Yes I too don't think it's a waste of time trying to introduce bitcoin to our own members of family and friends.
It was not that hard for me to convince them that bitcoin is better than fiat in many ways, atleast for those who can
operate computer.
I just showed them practically how easy and anonymous to send and receive money via btc transaction and they are into bitcoin now. Of course some may find it difficult.
ausbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 08:37:35 PM

You need to have a well balance of life and bitcoin  Cheesy
True, and its not a waste of time mentioning or introducing Bitcoins to friends and family because if we introduce Bitcoins to friends and family means we are giving life to bicoins future.
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 08:48:30 PM

It is times like these that remind one to make sure to inform family and friends that it is highly volatile and adventurous, not for the weak of heart . . . of course this follows all of the great things you say about Bitcoin.

I love Bitcoin
Emersonnets

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

The trouble is you think you have time.

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 08:50:21 PM

All you can do is talk about it to people who are around you, you can't do much about that.

You can't force them to get interested into bitcoin, I think the one thing that would help bitcoin get more known is media.

Since the media only puts out bad stuff about bitcoin, it becomes harder for people to adapt to bitcoin.

umaOuma

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 09:27:03 AM

All you can do is talk about it to people who are around you, you can't do much about that.

You can't force them to get interested into bitcoin, I think the one thing that would help bitcoin get more known is media.

Since the media only puts out bad stuff about bitcoin, it becomes harder for people to adapt to bitcoin.

Very rightly said, the main problem that bitcoin is facing is the negative publicity from media and people are getting carried away with the news, as people are more influenced by press and media it makes it difficult for them to have faith in bitcoins, as it is said that bad news travels faster then good news, so people hesitate in getting into bitcoins.
dhimasnk

Activity: 546

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 09:44:38 AM

never give up tell them, show them also the profits of bitcoin, then they will be interested

BUY LOW/SELL HIGH
24/7 TRADING BOT  GUNBOT  THE AUTOMATIC PROFIT GENERATOR FOR POLONIEX
LIMITED EDITION NOW AVAILABLE FOR KRAKEN AND BITTREX  My bitcoin address: 37xyZGoqmkeTTatsWcnFJS4iL4xdE4Cuia + wex.nz codes at Peermarketer@gmail.com
stromma44

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 11:44:20 AM

never give up tell them, show them also the profits of bitcoin, then they will be interested

If bitcoin is introduced to them in a proper and positive way then I think they will be attracted towards bitcoin, and if we inform them that they can make money with bitcoins then they would really think to know about the bitcoins, because everyone wants to make money, and I don't think that its a waste of time.
Eric Mu

Activity: 471

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 03:46:27 PM

Depends on how you would otherwise spend your time. If you are confident that you are on your way towards becoming the next Einstein or for that matter, Satoshi Nakamoto, I guess it is a waste of time, relatively speaking.
rio3233

Activity: 434

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 04:35:49 PM

I have considered telling my family and some of my friends about Bitcoin but whenever I've tried, they fail to understand why it does have value and why it is extremely important specially in the current socioeconomic context.. they don't get it and see it as something really strange. Needless to say I wouldn't tell them to put any money on it. In a way it feels like im keeping something amazing to myself, but at the same time, I don't want to put people into the pressure of holding through rallies long term because most people aren't cut for that.

How to introduce Bitcoin to absolutely clueless people and is there even a point? Should we just let time pass and wait for them to naturally learn about it once it goes more mainstream?

Yeah same with me. it's hard to introduce and tell our family and friends about bitcoin. once i tell my friend what is bitcoin and how it works. and he don't understand about that.
TeamButtcoin

Activity: 466

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 04:38:46 PM

ahh, the Amway approach

███▄▄  ▄▄███
██▄▄   ▀▀████▀▀   ▄▄██
 ▀▀███▄▄      ▄▄███▀▀
█▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄███▀▀
█████▄▄  ▀▀▀▀  ▄▄
██  ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀
██      ▀▀██▀▀     ▄▄▄
██   ▄▄        ▄▄███▀▀
██   ▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
██▄     ▀▀██▀▀     ▄▄▄
▀▀███▄▄        ▄▄███▀▀
    ▀▀███▄▄▄▄███▀▀
        ▀▀██▀▀
graIn..
The Backbone of
Modern Work Agreements.
███████████████
████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
████ ██████████████████
████ ██
████ ██
████ ██
████ ██
████
████
████
████

█████████████   █████

.Whitepaper.
█████   █████████████

████
████
████
████
██ ████
██ ████
██ ████
██ ████
██████████████████ ████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████
███████████████

Hellacopter

Activity: 742

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 08:49:07 PM

Depends on how you would otherwise spend your time. If you are confident that you are on your way towards becoming the next Einstein or for that matter, Satoshi Nakamoto, I guess it is a waste of time, relatively speaking.

I think also that the method of advertising Bitcoin is really important.
The community have to simplify the using and the explaining of how Bitcoin's works for everyone and especially for newbies with crypto currency's world
nejibens

Activity: 672

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 08:55:42 PM

I think also that the method of advertising Bitcoin is really important.
The community have to simplify the using and the explaining of how Bitcoin's works for everyone and especially for newbies with crypto currency's world

That's true , because many newbies don't even know anything about Bitcoin and crypto currencies world
So explaining them a little bit the things could help to advertise this powerful crypto currency
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: