Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:31:56 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Senator Charles Schumer Pushes to Shut Down Online Drug Marketplace  (Read 25408 times)
bitcoinBull (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 12:57:34 AM

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Schumer-Calls-on-Feds-to-Shut-Down-Online-Drug-Marketplace-123187958.html

This merits a thread of its own.

Just as we've been expecting, but I'm a bit surprised how quickly it happened.

Wow.. bitcoin is moving at the speed of.. bits!

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Astro

Activity: 284
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 12:58:53 AM

We all knew it was going to happen eventually.  Now let's see how the market reacts.

Edit: buying opportunity incoming
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 12:59:43 AM

wow, knew this would happen. This is exactly what we don't want for bitcoin. Sad
"It's an online form of money laundering used to disguise the source of money, and to disguise who's both selling and buying the drug," said Schumer.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 01:22:36 AM

This is huge. I can't decide whether to buy or sell.

I may write to Mr. Schumer, as well as my own representative and senators and in New Hampshire. The first thing they're going to hear about Bitcoin is that it's "an online form of money laundering." I'd like to give them at least the opportunity to find better information.

To be clear, I am offering no comment whatever on the legitimacy of drug laws. That is not the issue here. If the site were selling slaves, I would still not want Bitcoin banned as a solution to the problem.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:24:24 AM

wow, knew this would happen. This is exactly what we don't want for bitcoin. Sad

Indeed Sad

The best way to push back is to engage in legal commerce using bitcoins, and demonstrate that bitcoin is a viable world currency.

Start a bitcoin business, encourage businesses to accept bitcoins.

BookofNick

Activity: 315
Merit: 116

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:30:24 AM

You think this will affect the market negatively? I'm not sure - could be some truth in the saying "there's no such thing as bad press."

BUT I agree with other posters here - the best way to positively promote bitcoin is to use it for legitimate trade. Sure, the war on drugs is a complete disaster and 90% of drug violence could end tomorrow if all drugs were legal, but IMHO it's best to stay away from hard drugs regardless of legality, and therefore I'd like to see bitcoin being used for less illicit purposes.

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:38:04 AM

Indeed Sad

The best way to push back is to engage in legal commerce using bitcoins, and demonstrate that bitcoin is a viable world currency.

Start a bitcoin business, encourage businesses to accept bitcoins.

+1 We need legit business.
BY THE WAY: Not my type of site, but that article is an ad which will increase the Silk Road traffic. 

Fhtagn

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:47:42 AM

This merits a thread of its own.

Agreed, I almost started one and noticed they were talking about it on the main press thread.

I've written both Senators currently involved and am about to write my own Senators and Representative.

A thunderstorm knocked out my power and took my clipboard with it. I get to write my letter all over again. The US Senate contact pages don't provide you with a backup, after submission.  Undecided
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 01:52:32 AM

+1 We need legit business.

Agreed. I'm in the process of building a few tools right now which will hopefully make that easier. The "Marketplace" forum is pretty much the worst thing that could possibly work. (No offense at all meant---this is a great discussion forum, it's just not a great bazaar.)

BY THE WAY: Not my type of site, but that article is an ad which will increase the Silk Road traffic. 

Even more agreed. This story will probably be on the evening news before the end of the week, and the take-home for millions of viewers will be, "So, if I get these bitcoin things, I can buy weed." I'm expecting a huge upswing.

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
Fhtagn

Activity: 58

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:53:42 AM

I'll post any responses I get, though I don't expect any.
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:54:48 AM

It's an online form of money laundering used to disguise the source of money, and to disguise who's both selling and buying the drug," said Schumer.

I suppose technically it could be considered money laundering because you can't trace the source of the money.

Hopefully this isn't going to lead to them pushing against bitcoins all together.  And it is kind of stupid that they pretend to care so much.  People who want drugs are going to get drugs.  And if they can get them online anonymously without having to deal with shady charactors on the street and what have you, that sounds like a benefit to me.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
acamus

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 01:55:48 AM

It's a challenge to the Tor network. Let's see how it holds up to the Feds. In the short run it should increase traffic to the site and in otc  Grin
lemonginger

Activity: 210

firstbits: 121vnq

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:01:14 AM

Someone should invent a decentralized currency we can use so that it doesn't matter what Senators think... oh wait, nice.
bitcoinBull (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:22:10 AM

After a few minutes of reflection, I would expect Schumer to get some backlash from his colleagues for embarrassing them unnecessarily.  He will learn that its usually a bad idea to raise a stink over something about which little can be done.  He's just highlighting the fact that control is slipping from the grip of the State, and the State will not be happy about that.  Some stones are best left unturned.

Medical Marijuana is already legal in how many states?  And all the Feds can muster up is a few token busts here and there.  If they can't even control meatspace, there's no chance they can control cyberspace.

This "investigation" will continue and then it will be forgetten, and swept under the rug.  Yet another sign of the decline of state power, from which they have every reason to divert the public's attention.  They just shot themselves in the foot..

At best they might catch a few SR vendors dropping off the mail, or SR will be rebranded or replaced.

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:49:10 AM

btw I never thought of this but is no one worried about the following?:

Attacking all users
The IP addresses of most users are totally public. You can use Tor to hide this, but the network won't work if everyone does this. BitCoin requires that some country is still free.

This is from the Weaknesses wiki page.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
abyssobenthonic

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:49:57 AM

The most dangerous place in Washington is between Chucky Schumer and a TV camera.
mjsbuddha

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

yung lean

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 02:58:40 AM

Good. This should be shut down. And if bitcoins value drops one penny we should all sue the owner of the silk road. Bitcoin is to young and to small to be associated with this sort of thing. I hope he is imprisoned and bankrupt simultaneously.
error

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:06:21 AM

Good. This should be shut down. And if bitcoins value drops one penny we should all sue the owner of the silk road. Bitcoin is to young and to small to be associated with this sort of thing. I hope he is imprisoned and bankrupt simultaneously.

What have you been smoking?

3KzNGwzRZ6SimWuFAgh4TnXzHpruHMZmV8
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:06:52 AM

Let them eat cake.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
mrNightowl

Activity: 35

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 03:10:55 AM

Let them eat cake.

Agreed.  I feel its a much safer version of drug dealing.  Besides, people should have the freedom to put what they want in their bodies in the first place.  If they want to OD on heroin... so be it.

I mean really, what can they do about it?  Say they take down Silk Road somehow, how long before a new one pops up?  I bet there is already a few new ones online because of the heavy press.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: