Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:37:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Senator Charles Schumer Pushes to Shut Down Online Drug Marketplace  (Read 25408 times)
Anonymous

June 06, 2011, 08:02:21 PM

...bitcoins themselves to fall under government regulation of some sort.
Impossible. For it to be successfully regulated is for it to be completed bastardized in concept and utility.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:02:55 PM

Reading this, and thinking about what this kind of rhetorical will set into motion, makes me wonder if the only way for bitcoin to survive and be exchanged in America, is for bitcoins themselves to fall under government regulation of some sort.
Agrees with Atlas:

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
shady financier

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

etcetera

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:05:52 PM

I propose we make a donation to the Senator. He's really gone all out to put bitcoin on the map to make sure that both law-ignorers and law-observers alike become more aware of bitcoin and it's simply not fair that such effort go unrewarded.

He stressed bitcoins qualities, it's strengths and security, its untraceability (although to be fair he should have stressed that you have to put some effort in for that). It's a good thing he done.

Senator Schumer Donation Address Here:

1G8AUgSTAw8hfatNnDHuYEqBAUzC3qvAAL

Bitcoin news: http://thebitcoinsun.com/

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:08:19 PM

I propose we make a donation to the Senator. He's really gone all out to put bitcoin on the map to make sure law-ignorers become aware of bitcoin and it's simply not fair that such effort go unrewarded.

Senator Schumer Donation Address Here:

smelling scam here! its better to make a respected member take care of a donation. Cheesy

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:29:30 PM

I know it dismays a lot of hardcore crypto-anarchists on this forum, but I am a happy, law abiding, tax paying US citizen Smiley  And I think bitcoin's best path to success will be to work within existing government regulations.

The same way that air travel's path to success was to work within existing regulations? (before manned flight was invented, people owned all airspace above their land).

No, regulations will need to adapt to new technologies. Not the other way around.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
liberty

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:35:01 PM

No, regulations will need to adapt to new technologies. Not the other way around.
It's inevitable.
cloud9

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:35:44 PM

Can't even paypal be used for laundering?  If Sam buys socks for John, and John buys drugs for Sam at Silk Road by paying Silk Road's Skype account, haven't they just been laundering paypal credit?  Should paypal be banned if it enables people to buy drugs anonymously?  Or should paypal credit laundering be banned?

vragnaroda

Activity: 40

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:42:16 PM

You guys are blowing this out of all proportion. Chuck Schumer is the biggest blowhard in the U.S. Senate. No one takes him seriously and he doesn't stay focused on much long. Bitcoin is not Four Loko, which had a major pressure point he could push on and he doesn't have the attention span to keep pressure on anything for very long. If you keep him focused on it, he will make a much bigger deal out of it and more of your tax dollars will be wasted (and not just U.S. taxes, b/c other governments will cooperate on this).

tl;dr Just ignore him and he'll go away (unless he keeps getting drawn back by more Gawker bullshit).
Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:48:43 PM

Ia am somehow surprised. Did it really needed that some senator show of, to fight  narcotics store ?
Thats usual business off corresponded departments.
No, i am think that something wrong, and his target is exactly bitcoin by itself.
Why he did not bothered with opiates farms in Afghanistan, that is under US control (if US did not lie about it, lol)  ?

vragnaroda

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:52:57 PM

Why he did not bothered with opiates farms in Afghanistan, that is under US control (if US did not lie about it, lol)  ?

Because he can't admit to such a thing while Chocolate Jesus is president.
cloud9

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 08:55:09 PM

Can't even paypal be used for laundering?  If Sam buys socks for John, and John buys drugs for Sam at Silk Road by paying Silk Road's Skype account, haven't they just been laundering paypal credit?  Should paypal be banned if it enables people to buy drugs anonymously?  Or should paypal credit laundering be banned?

How is there a connection between Sam and John on paypal?  If Sam paid socks - and it's proxy delivered to John how does paypal know about the connection between Sam and John?  If John pays for a Skype number's credit and hand the password to Silk Road and Silk Road delivers drugs to Sam, how does paypal know about the connection between Silk Road and Sam?

Isn't the problem with laundering bitcoins, and not with bitcoins?

Ivanish

Activity: 9

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 08:58:17 PM

http://schumer.senate.gov/new_website/contactchuck.cfm
shady financier

Activity: 84

etcetera

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:07:25 PM

Is it your intention to be racially offensive or what?

Bitcoin news: http://thebitcoinsun.com/

Rapidlybuybitcoin here.

The value of goods, expressed in money, is called “price”, while the value of money, expressed in goods, is called “value”. C. Quigley
BitcoinStars.com

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:11:03 PM

senator charles schumer suck on a log
cloud9

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:11:41 PM
Last edit: June 06, 2011, 09:56:57 PM by cloud9

If you are biased and you generalize by attributing to a group, a subgroup or individual's actions:

Are you racist if you are biased based on race?
Are you sexist if you are biased based on gender?
etc., etc.,

What will you be if you generalize by saying bitcoiners are launderers, when only a subgroup of bitcoiners are laundering bitcoins?  Could you be dubbed a bitcoinist?

Will each of the possible roughly estimated 600,000 world wide bitcoiners ( http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12574.msg174344#msg174344 ) appreciate a statement like that?

vragnaroda

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:17:06 PM

What? Have you missed every bit of media coverage of him since 2004?
mewantsbitcoins

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:29:45 PM

You are all mad cause I'm black
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 09:43:16 PM

urthermore, I don't think any of us would mind helping law enforcement or in fact anyone to help and find real criminals behind real crimes. Bitcoin is not anonymous - you have to go to great lengths to make it such.
Exactly right. I will to do what I can to help the police catch scammers and crooks who want to steal from people.  The police might use those same tools and techniques to help catch people who use bitcoin to pay for drugs; I can't stop them from doing that.

I personally don't think drugs or gambling should be illegal, because I believe you should be free to do whatever you like with your own body and your own money. But I also believe those are separate issues from bitcoin, and if I felt really strongly about it (it isn't one of my own personal hot-button issues) I would be donating money to, or volunteering to work for LEAP and NORML, not mixing "bitcoin is a great new technology" with "drugs should be legal."

If Senator Schumer would like to attend your speaking engagement at the technology start-up symposium of the CIA he would quickly realise that bitcoin is simply a monetary technology, nothing more.

Invite him along.

Jaime Frontero

View Profile
June 06, 2011, 10:04:37 PM

nah.  some folks just take pride in ignorance.

for example:  that the clan (hmmm... possible spelling error) which preceded the current president were probably the biggest drug-dealers in history.  especially the senior, who started his drug-dealing before he was even the VP.  of course, the son had the intellectual capacity of a clam, and was really only coasting...
cdnbcguy

Activity: 128

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2011, 10:29:47 PM

We can now expect another BTC rally as new people discover Bitcoin from this article.

However - we can expect the BIG ONE in two years when the yield of a block drops from 50 to 25 BTC at block 210,000

Annona ad! Please keep in mind that there is nothing wrong with Bitcoin itself. All it's scandals are caused by wonky websites and sleazy people exploiting it. The light attracts bugs.

When all this bullshit drys up and blows away, Bitcoin will be stronger than ever.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: