Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:12:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Senator Charles Schumer Pushes to Shut Down Online Drug Marketplace  (Read 25417 times)
cryptoanarchist
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:40:31 AM

I actually agree that drugs should be legal and one should be allowed to ingest anything they please. But what should and shouldn't be has little to do with what IS and ISN'T. Drug trafficking IS illegal in the united states. This rich and powerful man now sees drugs and bitcoins as indivisible and mining and trading bitcoins as a criminal offense. He is actively trying to convince his rich and powerful friends of the same directly because of silk road. Silk road is a thread to the bitcoin network and I personally want to see it exterminated.

I know there are forum rules, but at what point can I say mean things about this guy?

Sounds like "buddha" can't remove his tongue from the bottom of the government's boot heel, and quite frankly, sounds a lot like them with his twisted morality.

mjsbuddha, understand that you have ZERO say in what I, or anyone else chooses to put in their own bodies. The fact that you feel you somehow have a right or duty to impose your ideals of behavior on others is really sickening to me. You want to shut down a website cause you don't like it?!?! Why don't you work on yourself first?

I'm grumpy!!
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Goldenmaw

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:49:19 AM

Reading a book and spamming multiple forum threads simultaneously, are you some kind of AI bot?
I have to use those spare cycles between updates, somehow.  ... Can our brains mine bitcoins?
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:35:39 AM

I actually agree that drugs should be legal and one should be allowed to ingest anything they please. But what should and shouldn't be has little to do with what IS and ISN'T. Drug trafficking IS illegal in the united states. This rich and powerful man now sees drugs and bitcoins as indivisible and mining and trading bitcoins as a criminal offense. He is actively trying to convince his rich and powerful friends of the same directly because of silk road. Silk road is a thread to the bitcoin network and I personally want to see it exterminated.

I know there are forum rules, but at what point can I say mean things about this guy?

"Tact - The ability to tell someone to go to hell so that they will look forward to the trip."

It's not the intent, but the content, of the posts that are affected by the rules.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
choosenamehere

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:57:47 AM

'the farmers market' has been around for 11yrs almost and is 'the ebay of drug selling' but they're more discreet about it since they use traceable payments through Pecunix and have PayPal cashiers.

there's around a dozen forums like p1ponline that are full of vendors. most of the hacker forums have drug sellers in europe, this is nothing new just Gawker made it sensationaltastic and buddy needs votes i guess.

lol @ 'seize the silk road domain' deerp tor

really all they can do is pose as sellers selling enormous amounts of drugs and hope to snare somebody. or attempt to trace a large bitcoin payment into cash that makes it's way back to the vendor.... would be very difficult in court for any lawyer to prove the coins that went through escrow and a half dozen other addresses were all headed to you specifically for drugs. much easier to get the low hanging fruit like all those illegal epharma websites making multi millions a year

It is actually kind of annoying that SR gets all the advertisement from the media and credit for being the first drug site to operate in this way...because they just fell out of no where a few months ago when there are other forums with memberships strecthing back ten years not to mention a few other public drug forums that are even more established (http://g7pz322wcy6jnn4r.onion/opensource/ovdb/ac/index.php) ... thanks for giving the noobs all the credit for being the pioneers though Gawker etc....

SR is awesome and we all wish them well though. Bitcoin was the magic word that got them attention, the other drug sites mostly accept Liberty Reserve and Pecunix although a lot have started to transition to Bitcoin recently SR was the first that used it as the standard payment. I can't deny being annoyed that they are getting all this free advertising though.
ierierjio

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 12:23:58 PM

Exactly right. I will to do what I can to help the police catch scammers and crooks who want to steal from people.  The police might use those same tools and techniques to help catch people who use bitcoin to pay for drugs; I can't stop them from doing that.

Are you saying you would want to work on "coin un-mixers", software that attempts to reduce the effectiveness of coin mixers? (Using statistical analyses on the public data of the block chain.)
it could me done by mixing a large amount of btc in the mixer, so others will mix to your btc, insted of anonymous ones

That is called a flushing attack. The concept of mixes and attacks on mixes has been around for decades now. Guess what guys...mixing won.
n0m4d

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 01:09:58 PM

Schumer co-authored the AWB.  Do yours.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 01:13:04 PM

Schumer co-authored the AWB.  Do yours.

The what?

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 01:28:13 PM

The what?

I think he is referring to the Assault Weapons Ban. (I also think there is some miscommunication here between what people are saying and what others think they are saying. It's difficult to follow with such short sentences that are open to interpretation. I don't think anyone is in actual disagreement here, but I could be wrong.)
bitcoinBull (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 826
Merit: 1001

rippleFanatic

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 01:56:47 PM

I heard about this on irc last night.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of it, felt a little worried, and then I checked Mt.Gox

There was a big drop and then a swift recovery at this news, and we've been fairly steady since. What this means is, that the market (the wisest among us) was spooked for a short time, and then after a little analysis dissmissed it. It's as free a market as there is, and it has spoken.

Check the timing a little more carefully.  I'm pretty sure the sell-off had already started before the Schumer story, and was mostly finished by the time the story broke.  It actually started recovering around the time the story went to press.  cbw...

College of Bucking Bulls Knowledge
MacFall

Agorist

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 02:02:06 PM

Stop paying your taxes, stop filing paperwork with the Enemy.  Stop participating in the Enemy's staged political show.
Stop capitalizing "enemy". You do them too much honor.  Wink

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 03:25:57 PM

I heard about this on irc last night.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of it, felt a little worried, and then I checked Mt.Gox

There was a big drop and then a swift recovery at this news, and we've been fairly steady since. What this means is, that the market (the wisest among us) was spooked for a short time, and then after a little analysis dissmissed it. It's as free a market as there is, and it has spoken.

Check the timing a little more carefully.  I'm pretty sure the sell-off had already started before the Schumer story, and was mostly finished by the time the story broke.  It actually started recovering around the time the story went to press.  cbw...

Basicly, the overall market doesn't seem to care. 

MacFall

Agorist

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 04:57:00 PM

I'd rather they become enthusiastic through the "undorsement" of a Senator, but apathy will do.

MacFall

Agorist

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 05:36:29 PM

The politicians behind that report are not in a position to benefit from national drug prohibitions. I do not think their opinion will affect nation-state decision making to any great extent, nor do I believe they would still be playing the same tune if they had the opportunity to wage a global war on drugs.

Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 05:48:55 PM

Drug Policy Alliance discussed a new report put together by the Global Commission on Drug Policy that concludes that the global war on drugs has failed.

Given this Global Commission on Drug Policy report, i think the plan to incorporate Bitcoin into America's self-serving "War on Drugs" is going to be a non-starter.

That is interesiting material, thank you.

Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 06:41:29 PM

Sounds like "buddha" can't remove his tongue from the bottom of the government's boot heel, and quite frankly, sounds a lot like them with his twisted morality.

mjsbuddha, understand that you have ZERO say in what I, or anyone else chooses to put in their own bodies. The fact that you feel you somehow have a right or duty to impose your ideals of behavior on others is really sickening to me. You want to shut down a website cause you don't like it?!?! Why don't you work on yourself first?
Read the first sentence in the text you quoted a few times. If you still think your reply is relevant you should probably just stop posting.
DATA COMMANDER

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 06:56:46 PM

Read the first sentence in the text you quoted a few times. If you still think your reply is relevant you should probably just stop posting.

You should try leading the last sentence in the text he quoted.

Tips are appreciated (very tiny tips are perfectly okay!) 13gDRynPfLH3NNAz3nVyU3k3mYVcfeiQuF
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:08:28 PM

Sites like Silk Road are going to make governments stop Bitcoin from getting widespread use, so you have to choose between having sites like this and the success of Bitcoin. It's a simple cause and affect, and saying that he would prefer the success of Bitcoin over the availability of such sites doesn't mean he likes it. In fact he's just said he doesn't like it. You are shooting the messenger.
MacFall

Agorist

View Profile WWW
June 07, 2011, 08:26:58 PM

Sites like Silk Road are going to make governments stop Bitcoin from getting widespread use
Sort of like how they have made government stop marijuana from having widespread use. Right?

Fhtagn

Activity: 58

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:33:59 PM

I got off of the phone with Senator Jim DeMint's(R SC) DC office, a short while ago.

While I didn't speak to the Senator, I talked to a member of his staff that was: already aware of Bitcoin and how it works, has visited this forum, and was aware of Gavin's coming trip to the CIA. He agreed that this is an interesting technology with market potential.

The conversation was brief and politic, but my overall impression was a positive one.
xf2_org

Activity: 98
Merit: 13

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 08:43:35 PM

I got off of the phone with Senator Jim DeMint's(R SC) DC office, a short while ago.

While I didn't speak to the Senator, I talked to a member of his staff that was: already aware of Bitcoin and how it works, has visited this forum, and was aware of Gavin's coming trip to the CIA. He agreed that this is an interesting technology with market potential.

The conversation was brief and politic, but my overall impression was a positive one.

Good stuff.  We need more proactive, positive conversations like this.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: