Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:00:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Senator Charles Schumer Pushes to Shut Down Online Drug Marketplace  (Read 25408 times)
MacFall

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Agorist

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 09:40:39 PM

If they knew that, then why did they make a self-buggering currency in the first place? I'm pretty sure they're all about getting while the getting is good and then waiting out the consequences in a very luxurious bunker or something analogous to that.

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 10:08:40 PM

If there is nothing else I know about governments, it's that they are just people with their own agendas and factions like anyone else.  If one set of government busybodies openly wants to shut down bitcoin, it's a sure bet that there is another set of busybodies who privately want to see it florish.  The same is true for any other government as it is for the US.  If the US government settles on the decision of suppression, then there will undoubtedly be other governments that will support bitcoin for no other reason than the US overlords don't like it.

For example, if Schumer wants Bitcoin stopped; that alone is enough to get the attention of his own critics.  If the Koch brothers get the idea that supporting bitcoin would undermine Dems who openly oppose it, we are going to see a lot more positive press than we could have ever imagined.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Grinder
Legendary

Activity: 1284
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 10:44:59 PM

I've seen a lot of mob mentality lately. From people unquestioningly opposing WikiLeaks because their government opposed it to people cheering when the guy who wrote "The Pedophile's Guide to Love" on Amazon got arrested for simply publishing a book, I've come to the conclusion that although most people *say* they want freedom, they really don't. Freedom implies taking responsibility for your own actions, including when you make mistakes. People don't seem to like that.
I'm not entirely convinced that it's all that comforting to the children getting abused that someone has to "take responsibility" for it later.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 10:51:52 PM

Forgive me if I already post this: http://bitcoinweekly.com/articles/the-battle-is-on-silk-road-vs-government-and-bitcoin-anonymity

Gavin Andresen
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216

Chief Scientist

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2011, 11:00:30 PM

Does anybody have the full text of the open letter? Mr. Google is failing me when I search for it...

How often do you get the chance to work on a potentially world-changing project?
ISA

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:05:38 PM

I thought every transactions is visible to everyone?
So bitcoin is not really anonymous, right?
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:06:33 PM

I thought every transactions is visible to everyone?
So bitcoin is not really anonymous, right?

That may be so but I have no idea who owns what.

rezin777

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:09:07 PM

I only read the first couple pages of this thread, but here's my opinion.

I've seen a lot of mob mentality lately. From people unquestioningly opposing WikiLeaks because their government opposed it to people cheering when the guy who wrote "The Pedophile's Guide to Love" on Amazon got arrested for simply publishing a book, I've come to the conclusion that although most people *say* they want freedom, they really don't. Freedom implies taking responsibility for your own actions, including when you make mistakes. People don't seem to like that.

In my opinion, it would be a huge threat to Bitcoin if the government kept calling it "money laundering" and so forth. Even though US dollars can also be used to purchase illegal things anonymously, if people get angry or scared enough, trying to correct their misconceptions will be like whispering to someone at a rock concert. People here have said that Bitcoin would simply become a black market item and gain even more value. While that may be true, I have no need for a currency that is limited to black market usage. If businesses and ordinary individuals aren't adopting it, what's the point?

I think we need to do something to reach the masses. Maybe a bunch of us pool together to take out a billboard in some heavily populated area like LA. If we can associate Bitcoin with ideas like "currency," "convenient," "replace PayPal," "secure," and so on, that would be a great first step. There's other obvious things that need work too, like making it easier to get Bitcoins. As it stands, the average person isn't going to go through all the trouble. It'd be nice if there were a way to link your bank account to a site (like how PayPal does it) and use that to get Bitcoins instantly.

I find it interesting how you contradict yourself in a few paragraphs.

I've come to the conclusion that although most people *say* they want freedom, they really don't.

I have no need for a currency that is limited to black market usage.

Bravo.

Maybe contradict is harsh, you never actually said you want freedom, just that others don't. Which I agree with. And you never really said you were looking for freedom of exchange either, just that you wouldn't bother with it if it was pushed to the black market.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 12:15:40 AM

Does anybody have the full text of the open letter? Mr. Google is failing me when I search for it...

If you were talking about Schumer's letter to DOJ & DEA ....
http://pastebin.com/VurF7dgr
finnthecelt

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 03:36:13 AM

I wonder how people would react if I wore that to work! I want one!
Nefario

Activity: 602
Merit: 512

GLBSE Support support@glbse.com

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2011, 04:21:43 AM

Interesting, I hadn't realised that there was such a thing as "an illegal website" in America, illegal content yes but a website that's illegal?

And they want to seize the domain, that's sweet.

PGP key id at pgp.mit.edu 0xA68F4B7C

To get help and support for GLBSE please email support@glbse.com
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441
Merit: 1000

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 04:42:28 AM

Interesting, I hadn't realised that there was such a thing as "an illegal website" in America, illegal content yes but a website that's illegal?

Welcome to the People's Republic of America.
finnthecelt

Activity: 140

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 04:56:34 AM

Welcome to the People's Republic of America.

Where consumer > citizen.
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 04:04:41 PM
Last edit: June 15, 2011, 04:17:53 PM by FatherMcGruder

Can anyone find a more official source?

Nevermind, found one: http://manchin.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ContentRecord_id=aeae6e96-7d88-4fed-811b-f0d7f3bc1636&ContentType_id=ec9a1142-0ea4-4086-95b2-b1fc9cc47db5&Group_id=e3f09d56-daa7-43fd-aa8b-bd2aeb8d7777

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]  All
  Print  

Jump to: