Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 10:02:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they believe that the creator of this topic displays some red flags which make them high-risk. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 84 »
  Print  
Author Topic: IOTA Crowdsale  (Read 182669 times)
WorldCoiner

Activity: 1069
Merit: 682

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2015, 07:40:54 PM

It have worked. Easy process, everything was clear. Thanks for the smooth start!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Jabbawa

Activity: 179
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 07:42:10 PM

I'm a bit confused. This was my first ever crowdsale and I only caught this with about an hour before the end so bought in a panic at the last.

I have completed all the steps in the collect IOTA page, so what happens now? How/when do I get store my IOTAs?

Thanks folks, I'm a bit of a noob and not very tech savvy I'm afraid... I'm obviously being dim and missing something obvious :/
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 07:44:27 PM

How/when do I get store my IOTAs?

You don't need to store iotas, just don't lose your password that you used to generate Iota address. After front-end (wallet) software is released you'll get access to the iotas after typing the password.
iotatoken (OP)

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 07:45:09 PM

I'm a bit confused. This was my first ever crowdsale and I only caught this with about an hour before the end so bought in a panic at the last.

I have completed all the steps in the collect IOTA page, so what happens now? How/when do I get store my IOTAs?

Thanks folks, I'm a bit of a noob and not very tech savvy I'm afraid... I'm obviously being dim and missing something obvious :/

No worries, once IOTA goes live, you'll be able to access your IOTAs with the password you just used. Simple as that.

iotatoken (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 07:45:47 PM

I guess rdanneskjoldr is not trolling.
Just write instruction for average user like you would write for your granny.

He's not trolling, he's just an asshole, and given his history that he has shared with me I find his comments so ironic they break my brain.

Jabbawa

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 07:49:11 PM

ah ok great, I shall keep the pw and address safely noted down offline. thanks

Smiley
Timeline
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

TokenHouse decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 07:53:05 PM

How many characters long does the password has to be?

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 07:54:29 PM

How many characters long does the password has to be?

81 chars for max security. Level of security is computed as Log2(27^N) where N is number of random characters.
rlh

Activity: 804
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 08:02:37 PM

To be clear, folks, DO NOT create accounts with passphrases less than 20 characters.  Anything less is to easy to crack... You've been warned.*

*This is not a threat.  I'm just saying, we saw this with Nxt.  As soon as nxt were distributed and coins were floating around, dark "miners" were hunting for weak passphrases, and stealing accounts.  Don't let that happen to YOU!

A Personal Quote on BTT from 2011:
"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
Jabbawa

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 08:11:55 PM

Is it too late to change a pw once you've been through the process once? Mine wasn't that short or easy, but it was under 20 characters and I'd like to make it longer if I can?

:/
rlh

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 08:13:56 PM

Is it too late to change a pw once you've been through the process once? Mine wasn't that short or easy, but it was under 20 characters and I'd like to make it longer if I can?

If they are random, you should be fine.  If they are random, you probably still don't have to worry.  Instead, when the network goes live, just send the iota to a new account.  You shouldn't have to worry.  The network isn't going to cut on and then, 10 seconds later, all accounts with 15 characters or less passphrases won't disappear.

Just take care of yourself as soon as you can.  You should be fine.

"I'd be willing to make a moderate "investment" if the value of the BTC went below $2.00.  Otherwise I'll just have to live with my 5 BTC and be happy. :/"  ...sigh.  If only I knew.
javi618

Activity: 146

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2015, 08:15:06 PM

To be clear, folks, DO NOT create accounts with passphrases less than 20 characters.  Anything less is to easy to crack... You've been warned.*

This should be indicated in the tutorial. It should have examples and screenshots. And please, add a detailed explanation for the people that sent Jinn for the crowdsale.

Thanks and please be patient with non advanced users like me :-)
achimsmile
Legendary

Activity: 1225

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 08:16:44 PM

Begin collecting officially? Or simbolically, or testnet?

I think you shouldnt tell anyone to start collecting without doing it in an official way. This gives a very unprofessional perception, as no one knows when people can start doing it, until when, how Jinn donators can recollect, should anyone really send real btc even if its a small amount for a testnet?, web with bugs still, etc.. There is nowhere to find all the conditions and instructions on collection.

Marketing wise this gives a very bad image, of doing things as they come without planning.

There is only one collecting if I read the sale conditions correctly. You can think that it's symbolical to praise god Crom.

I think Triangle should spend at least a bitcoin in someone advising marketing and giving a good image. It wont hurt the technical development and it will help the project overall.
Im pretty sure its a disaster telling the people to start collecting in forum post, a buggy website, without knowing if its testnet or not, until when they can do it, not having a reference page explaining what digits are allowed for the keypass (everyone will get notifications of digits being changed because everyone will use other numbers than 9 and symbols), but some posts randomly distributed in IOTA threads, and a long etcetera i dont want to think about because of how obvious it is...

What happens if someone generates an address whose pass has been modified for having numbers, and sends the btc amount to claim IOTAs? I guess those IOTAs will be linked to a IOTA address no one has the pass to access.

Dude... original post: 22nd december: collect.iotatoken.com
Today is the 22nd and the website works flawlessly for me. It could not be easier. Looks professional to me.

Yet you are like: website buggy, is it for testnet? Everyone will use other digits than 9. We don't know when to redeem.

Why so stressed? You have 90 days to collect the iotas. Imo there are many bad businesses (iota looks not like one of them so far), but there are also bad customers.

The customer is king, but that does not give him the right to act like a queen.
iotatoken (OP)

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 08:17:12 PM

This should be indicated in the tutorial. It should have examples and screenshots. And please, add a detailed explanation for the people that sent Jinn for the crowdsale.

It's already there in plain text. Unless you want us to make the password for you I honestly can't see what else to add Tongue
I considered using screenshots, but in my experience that makes the user even more lazy and careless than if they have to read the instructions prior to executing.

Jabbawa

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 08:19:28 PM

If they are random, you should be fine.  If they are random, you probably still don't have to worry.  Instead, when the network goes live, just send the iota to a new account.  You shouldn't have to worry.  The network isn't going to cut on and then, 10 seconds later, all accounts with 15 characters or less passphrases won't disappear.

Just take care of yourself as soon as you can.  You should be fine.

Ok great, do we have any timelines for when the network might go live? Sorry, I only found out about this project yesterday and have lots of questions that I should probably just answer with my own research Wink
javi618

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2015, 08:21:00 PM

It's already there in plain text. Unless you want us to make the password for you I honestly can't see what else to add Tongue
I considered using screenshots, but in my experience that makes the user even more lazy and careless than if they have to read the instructions prior to executing.

In the Step 3 you don't recommend to use 20 characters or more. That should be indicated.

Please, could you add the steps for the people that used Jinn to buy Iota tokens?

Thanks
rlh

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 08:23:01 PM

Well, let me clarify as a concerned supporter-- I pulled "20 characters" out of thin air.  After my dealings with the account generator (I'm not related with the project any more than any other general supporter) I think 20 should be more than safe for the foreseeable future.  If your passphrase is 10 characters long, of random characters you could still be fine for a while but the shorter the passphrase, the weaker it is against being stolen, thus my warning.

I'm not trying to cause any fear here but so long as you create a new account with a longer passphrase after the go-live date you should be safe, regardless of the passphrase that you originally used.  No one should really have cause to worry unless they used a phrase like "password" or "12345", which are the only ones likely to be hacked within 10 minutes.

achimsmile
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 08:28:58 PM

In the Step 3 you don't recommend to use 20 characters or more. That should be indicated.

Please, could you add the steps for the people that used Jinn to buy Iota tokens?

Make sure that your password is strong and secure. We suggest over 20 characters in randomized order.

I saw that the steps for Jinn holders are now visible
javi618

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2015, 08:30:52 PM

Make sure that your password is strong and secure. We suggest over 20 characters in randomized order.

Sorry I only saw this:

Step 3

Type in your secret password (keep this secret!) and save the address that will be generated. The password can only consist of latin characters in lower case and the digit '9'. We highly recommend that you store these locally on paper or in something like KeePass to ensure that it's not lost or compromised.

Maybe that phrase was added later.

Thanks

achimsmile
Legendary

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 08:37:59 PM

Sorry I only saw this:

Step 3

Type in your secret password (keep this secret!) and save the address that will be generated. The password can only consist of latin characters in lower case and the digit '9'. We highly recommend that you store these locally on paper or in something like KeePass to ensure that it's not lost or compromised.

Maybe that phrase was added later.

Thanks

Ah ok, good that it was added then. Happy collecting!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 ... 84 »
  Print  

Jump to: