Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:05:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... 156 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin money?  (Read 112095 times)
Kevondo

Activity: 742
Merit: 251

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 07:26:15 PM

It is an exchange instrument, therefore it is also money.
well bitcoin has both the properties the money and the currency both according to me if you take the functions of the bitcoin then it not going to be said as money but if we look at the worth and the use of the bitcoin then bitcoin is money for me and if we look at the present value of the bitcoin and the multi properties of the bitcoin it is being use as a payment and as transaction money we can do all the things with bitcoin that we do with money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dasana212

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 07:58:07 PM

For me bitcoin is money making money. Alot ways it possible to have bitcoins, starting from a faucet uses spare time or can also be obtained by being a participant signcamp or bounty. And payments from that, can we use to seek additional balance from trade.
jamirrah

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 08:23:14 PM

Well in my opinion looking on how money is defined as any commodity that can be used as mode of payment in order to avail goods, services and as payment of debts bitcoin can be called money since it can be used on latter purposes stated. As of now, use of bitcoins in financial activities are only limited and not all peopleor institution is accepting bitcoins like money then I could say it still a reason not to call bitcoins money unless it is already acceted by all.

angaper

Activity: 966
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 09:37:03 PM

Bitcoin is a virtual currency. i think, when it is accepted more widely as payment for goods and services. then,we should call bitcoin  as money.

Therefore since it is a virtual currency, bitcoin is money.

And it is not just a money, there's a lot of use for bitcoin. Trading , investment, asset or name it that I didn't mentioned.

But perhaps this is the main reason why bitcoin can not be defined according to the original concept of money. Money can only be used to acquire goods or services through a currency to which the community assigns a value equivalent to that of the good. But bitcoin is much more than that, and even its possibilities are widened more when we understand bitcoin as a byproduct of the blockchain, a situation that adds more complexity to the definition of bitcoin in financial terms. Perhaps it is something so novel in the history of humanity that there is not yet a suitable term that defines it perfectly ... well, maybe there is only one word that can define this: Bitcoin.
Barbarian

Activity: 728
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 11:12:01 PM

Well, at the very least, if it isn't money you can easily convert them to money. They are a very liquid asset. But it is true that not many regular people would accept them as a payment.
That is exactly what money is, in the past the first currencies were asset currencies, then people used those that performed the job better, gold and silver, if bitcoin can be very easily traded for fiat and you can even buy some stuff with it then that means that bitcoin is money and not an asset.
nethan1btc

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 11:23:47 PM

It is an exchange instrument, therefore it is also money.
well bitcoin has both the properties the money and the currency both according to me if you take the functions of the bitcoin then it not going to be said as money but if we look at the worth and the use of the bitcoin then bitcoin is money for me and if we look at the present value of the bitcoin and the multi properties of the bitcoin it is being use as a payment and as transaction money we can do all the things with bitcoin that we do with money.

The questions here gathered more insights which entirely defined it as money for purchasing basic goods. But of I were to give an idea about that, bitcoin was not juat a money; I can considered it as property that we should be taking care of and hold for a longer span of time so we sell it in the future. One example of thar is the land properties and house property, so bitcoin is somewhat like that as property.
skysun

Activity: 55
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 12:15:29 AM

Bitcoin is money if you paying with it, it can be an investment if you trede with it and if you want to give you ''dividend'', it can be a store of value if you want, etc... Everyone interprets it differently what Bitcoin is.

XAURUM GAMMA   ► Be a Part of The First Crypto Smart-Street Construction
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  ICO 31th July 2017  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Live-Feed of Construction | Real-Estate Crypto Asset | Luxury-Villas Tourism | Shared-Profit | Services Payable in Xaurum (http://www.xaurum.org/gamma)
Filmmmakerr

Activity: 490

Hello. Bye.

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 12:31:41 AM

Bitcoin is better than money. Its a way for us to take control of our money without any government or third party involvement.

Campaign Manager (2018)
Fatemablabla

Activity: 546
Merit: 180

I'm Matured Now

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2017, 01:47:27 AM

It is better thn money.it also can be a investment.it is also a treasure trove of value.actually it is everything and it depends on you how you want to use them.
Mpamaegbu
Legendary

Activity: 2688
Merit: 1208

Once a man, twice a child!

View Profile
August 25, 2017, 03:01:46 AM

Now, this thread should be locked up. The topic has been over flogged. Of course we all now know the answer the OP sought as far back as 2010 during the era of steading Bitcoin. Fast forward to 2017, we now know that Bitcoin is money! Simple and short. Please, lock up this thread to prevent spamming! It should be dead.

Enough...

.BEST..CHANGE.███████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
███████████████
..BUY/ SELL CRYPTO..
0t3p0t

Activity: 1554
Merit: 352

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2017, 03:41:55 AM

Bitcoin is something radically new. Nothing like Bitcoin has been possible until now. I would go so far as to consider it sui generis; "in its own class".  This makes it important to understand what Bitcoin actually is before we try to describe it to others.

We're getting a good handle on the code, and of course on Bitcoin's function and utility, but what words should we use to describe Bitcoin itself? There has been some debate in other threads [mostly my doing] over how it is like/not like money, cash, dollars, etc. I'd like to start this thread by focusing on the term "money", and play Devil's avocate by asking for your best arguments that Bitcoin IS money.

My legal dictionary states "In usual and ordinary acceptation it [money] means gold, silver, or paper money, used as circulating medium of exchange, and does not embrace notes, bonds, evidences of debt, or other personal or real estate." [cites omitted]

Wikipedia says "Money is any object that is generally accepted as payment for goods and services and repayment of debts in a given country or socio-economic context. The main functions of money are distinguished as: a medium of exchange; a unit of account; a store of value; and, occasionally, a standard of deferred payment." [cited omitted]

Webster's Online Dictionary defines money as:
    • 1. The most common medium of exchange; functions as legal tender; "we tried to collect the money he owed us".
    • 2. Wealth reckoned in terms of money; "all his money is in real estate".
    • 3. The official currency issued by a government or national bank; "he changed his money into francs".
    • 4. A piece of metal, as gold, silver, copper, etc., coined, or stamped, and issued by the sovereign authority as a medium of exchange in financial transactions between citizens and with government; also, any number of such pieces; coin.
    • 5. Any written or stamped promise, certificate, or order, as a government note, a bank note, a certificate of deposit, etc., which is payable in standard coined money and is lawfully current in lieu of it; in a comprehensive sense, any currency usually and lawfully employed in buying and selling.
    • 6. In general, wealth; property; as, he has much money in land, or in stocks; to make, or lose, money.
    [links omitted]
    [/list]

I maintain that per these definitions, Bitcoin cannot possibly be described as "money". And further, I think that those who do describe Bitcoin as "money" are doing this community a disservice.

But that is just my point of view. Are there any that can convincingly argue otherwise, that Bitcoin IS money?

Different people with different perceptions all over the world. For me anything that has value and everybody can use it to trade anything then it is money. Besides, Bitcoin really is a digital money or cryptocurrency and we can use it to buy anything we want online. Bitcoin is a digital money that can also be converted into fiat if we want it to use in our daily lives. If Bitcoin is not a money for you or not even valuable, do you really think people are just wasting their time to work hard for Bitcoins? Some people quit  from their jobs and spend more time on Bitcoin and all I can say about that is this "Bitcoin is more valuable than fiat". Therefore Bitcoin is money and Bitcoin is life.

BIG WINNER!
    [15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
    ██████████████████████
    ██████████▀▀██████████
    █████████░░░░█████████
    ██████████▄▄██████████
    ███████▀▀████▀▀███████
    ██████░░░░██░░░░██████
    ███████▄▄████▄▄███████
    ████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
    ███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
    ████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
    ██████████████████████
    ▀████████████████████▀
    ▄████████████████████▄
    ██████████████████████
    █████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
    █████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
    █████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
    █████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
    █████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
    █████████░░░░░░███████
    ████████░░░░░░░███████
    ███████░░░░░░░░███████
    ███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
    ██████████████████████
    ▀████████████████████▀
    ▄████████████████████▄
    ███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
    ███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
    █████████▀░░█████░░░░█
    ███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
    ██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
    █████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
    ████░████▄░███████░░░░
    ███░█████░█████████░░█
    ███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
    ███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
    ███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
    ▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
    ▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
    █████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
    ██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
    ███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
    ████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
    ███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
    █▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
    ▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
    ░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
    ░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
    ███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
    ███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
    ▀██░████████░███████░█▀
    ▄████████████████████▄
    ████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
    ███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
    ██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
    ██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
    ██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
    ██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
    ██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
    ██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
    ██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
    █████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
    █████████▄▄█▄▄████████
    ▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
    Daily Quests
    Faucet
    DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
    Merit: 644

View Profile
    August 25, 2017, 04:47:37 AM

Bitcoin is better than money. Its a way for us to take control of our money without any government or third party involvement.
    Bitcoin is indeed better than money and we can earn a lot of money from different possible sources of income like trading and different investment like ICO and more. Bitcoin is a freedom money which doesn't need any middle man or help by the government because it can work alone and it can last longer than we think if the community behind bitcoin will not fade.
    Babyjamz3026

Activity: 361
    Merit: 101

View Profile
    August 25, 2017, 05:54:49 AM

Anything that is being used as a medium of exchange is money. Bitcoin, like gold, is money.
    I do agreed with you sir, Though I'm a newbie in this industry, I saw that bitcoin is such a potential things virtual currency, where its impossible in the sight of many that bitcoin is not a money. But, it is money for me as long as you can convert it into a real cash according to what country you belong it will be convert. Which means it a real money Wink
    subSTRATA
    Legendary

Activity: 1288
    Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
    August 25, 2017, 10:01:54 AM

Knowing you can buy almost anything with it sure its money, the fact isn’t printed as fiat currencies made some people to doesn’t consider it as currencie. For me this weren’t a question about being money and yes where and how to use in the daily needs, as we do with fiat.

I mean, im pretty sure if they accepted it, you could buy just about anything with gold and silver (along with other precious metals / commodities), but that doesn't make gold / money. personally, I define money as the legal tender of a nation or state, and until that is so, bitcoin won't be something I can consider money in my own definition. a highly liquidatable asset describes it a lot better in its current state.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
    Alice Nuttal

Activity: 113

View Profile
    August 25, 2017, 11:55:18 AM

Bitcoin is the new idea of money. That’s why it is having so much problems with governmental regulations. The laws that cover financial system, do not cover the notion of cryptocurrency. So, in order to use it 100% legal, the country must enact a separate law for cryptocurrency. Like they did in Japan.
    jigzaheedcoin

Activity: 194

☀️ Iskra Coin ☀️

View Profile
    August 25, 2017, 12:07:33 PM

Bitcoin is the new idea of money. That’s why it is having so much problems with governmental regulations. The laws that cover financial system, do not cover the notion of cryptocurrency. So, in order to use it 100% legal, the country must enact a separate law for cryptocurrency. Like they did in Japan.
    It's true that bitcoin is our new money it's only a money but it is a digitized one. A one of a kind money that gives hopes to everybody. It's like holding a future through bitcoin. The problem is that not all people accept it because they find it worthless. So let's find ways to convince people how to earn bitcoins and help one another building a better future.

Best Dreams

Activity: 1008
    Merit: 101

View Profile
    August 25, 2017, 12:35:29 PM

Bitcoin is both, money and investment that's why bitcoin is unique like no others
    When bitcoin occur, it's really help me a lot for my life and my school  !

Yes your are right bitcoin is money as well as investment because as in term of money we can fulfill our need from bitcoin and can be use like money in online shops while in term of investment there is no best investment site other than bitcoin as a lot of people know this.
    SirLancelot

Activity: 2478
    Merit: 582

View Profile
    August 25, 2017, 07:57:50 PM

Anything that is being used as a medium of exchange is money. Bitcoin, like gold, is money.
    I do agreed with you sir, Though I'm a newbie in this industry, I saw that bitcoin is such a potential things virtual currency, where its impossible in the sight of many that bitcoin is not a money. But, it is money for me as long as you can convert it into a real cash according to what country you belong it will be convert. Which means it a real money Wink
    Bitcoin is money for me also. However, I don’t consider gold as money. Gold is an asset in true sense. I haven’t come across anyone who gives gold for availing services but people pay Satoshis for the services they enjoy like shopping, eating in restaurant, buying tickets or gadgets.
    jak3
    Legendary

Activity: 1274
    Merit: 1004

View Profile
    August 25, 2017, 08:32:06 PM

yes, bitcoin is not actually the MONEY, instead, it is said as a MONEY PROCESSING SYSTEM. it's like PayPal but in another higher level like (super Saiyan God) anyway we should never forget why money is made. many years ago people trade goods for goods then they started exchanging gold coins for goods and now it is evolved so much that now we exchange a paper for another paper. we became a slave so Bitcoin came and saved us all from this slavery coin system.
    wh04m1

Activity: 140
    Merit: 100

View Profile
    August 25, 2017, 08:55:39 PM

We can define money as a means of exchange. Today, we can buy goods and services with money.
    Bitcoin can be used as a means of exchange like dollars. We can buy everything we can buy with money with bitcoin.

From this point of view, we can call it a digital currency for bitcoin.
    Pages: « 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... 156 »
      Print  

Jump to: