Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:49:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just what is a clock buffer anyway?  (Read 16542 times)
eldentyrell
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

felonious vagrancy, personified

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 12:05:11 AM

Hence, this is why the framing of the information....seems a bit off.

Be careful.  If you point out inconsistencies and ambiguities in BFL's announcements Josh will start rageflaming you.  Spoken from experience.

The printing press heralded the end of the Dark Ages and made the Enlightenment possible, but it took another three centuries before any country managed to put freedom of the press beyond the reach of legislators.  So it may take a while before cryptocurrencies are free of the AML-NSA-KYC surveillance plague.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 12:47:27 AM

Be careful.  If you point out inconsistencies and ambiguities in BFL's announcements Josh will start rageflaming you.  Spoken from experience.
I will be careful.

What you have received though is hardly comparable to what I may have received. Theymos (and Tom of bASIC) has an inkling as to what I mean. Other than that, no comment.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 01:01:11 AM

Be careful.  If you point out inconsistencies and ambiguities in BFL's announcements Josh will start rageflaming you.  Spoken from experience.
hahaha I love your new Avatar  Smiley

Little I know about designing chips but wouldn't a real, and most effective Bitcoin chip be better done without a clock or clockless? Units waiting for Data could so automatically be suspended and resume work just in time when they are needed.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:22:26 AM

I would like you to elucidate on a point related to clock buffer and electromagnetic noise.

Question: Do you remember when one BFL representative started to mention FCC requirement for certifying a device and various other certification required for producing a device that complies with various international regulations?

Background 0: A BFL representative when asked about their own compliance with such regulations went on record to state that their device was currently in testing. (presumably at a lab)

Background 1: Later, after that debacle, when asked if there were any functional prototype devices, the BFL representative stated there were none at that time. (November)

Question: How can a device be sent to the FCC labs for testing and certification if there is no working and functional prototype?

Is that the reason why additional clock buffers were added? To reduce noise?

(Admittedly, this is unlikely, but possible)

Note: I presume that the clock buffer are/were to reduce noise localized to the chip. But I have to ask, was the noise leaking further than the immediate area of the chip? Did it fail FCC certification or inspection? Further, if there are no prototypes, then what was sent in late October for evaluation? [Speculation]
abeaulieu

Activity: 295
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 01:46:27 AM

Little I know about designing chips but wouldn't a real, and most effective Bitcoin chip be better done without a clock or clockless? Units waiting for Data could so automatically be suspended and resume work just in time when they are needed.

Let me be the first to tell you that doesn't make any sense.
beekeeper

Activity: 406

LTC

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 02:21:10 AM

Imagine your city without traffic lights. That will be your clockless chip. Not counting that you will need to feed nonces from outside.

25Khs at 5W Litecoin USB dongle (FPGA), 45kHs overclocked
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=310926
Litecoin FPGA shop -> http://ltcgear.com
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 02:27:16 AM

Then promptly, they released information that they would not receive their first batch until Mid December. Then revised the revision again to make it sometime in January. (A full 30 day delay)

There you go lying again Puerto Libre.  Why do you insist on manufacturing facts and lying about things that can be readily discovered by anyone putting in even a little bit of time?  

ot at all; are you?  Because this is certainly a lie:

Everything I say can be backed up with facts... just like the fact that you are, apparently, a pathological liar.  Faced with undeniable quotes you yourself made, you try to claim you "Oh no, I didn't really mean you wern't going the full custom route."  

Whatever, you are a joke Elden.  Just like Puerto Libre and CreativeX you have to make up "facts" to bash BFL.  You are pathetic. Unlike Puerto Libre and CreativeX, I had some respect for you until it became clear that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and you're still pissed off BFL rained all over your parade last year.  If you were able to actually develop something people wanted, BFL wouldn't have been able to steal your thunder. But as it is, you're just a has been who can't actually compete so you resort to bashing and crying.  Pathetic.

The point still stands, anything you say with regards to technology and BFL in particular needs to be evaluated for "truthiness," because you're incapable (or unwilling) to actually tell the truth when it comes to design.  I'd hate to have actually tried to work with something you designed, it'd have be likely to electrocute me or something with your poor understanding of engineering.

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 02:28:16 AM

Face-palm......

I cannot think of any useful digital logic design that is "clock-less" (suspend/resume is in-fact a type of "clock")
As is the case for a number of manufacturers.... this is what happens when sales people speak to engineers...
Sony also does it, you will find that the whole industry is ripe with it (using engineering terms incorrectly, that is.....)
http://funnysalescartoons.com/photo/dilbert-product-knowledge
http://funnysalescartoons.com/photo/dilbert-as-a-sales-engineer-on?context=latest

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:02:37 AM

Get some education and help bud, not all of your current and future customers can be "pathological/liars". There is always a cause behind every situation. Find out what the commonalities are as a first step to a resolution.

http://www.dce.k-state.edu/humanecology/conflictresolution/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DVGZRYvxqc

It can be anything from communication issues to simply a lack of a broad understanding of a series of issues.

Fitting your current/former/future customers base into a labeled box of "liars" is an uneducated way of going about finding a resolution to these issues.

A former customer can be won back if you pamper them. Though you don't write to them as if they are trash once you have issued a refund. If you consider them trash or a waste of resources, at the tip of a hat, then what does it say about your valuation of these individuals buying products from you?

Stop with the "pathological liar" routine and start somewhere helpful. If there is an issue, find a way to correct it and resolve the issue.

P.S. Also, get Jody on the same page. Lately her statements are broad reaching and causes conflicting pieces of information to not jive with different statements.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 04:06:01 AM

Face-palm......

I cannot think of any useful digital logic design that is "clock-less" (suspend/resume is in-fact a type of "clock")
As is the case for a number of manufacturers.... this is what happens when sales people speak to engineers...
Sony also does it, you will find that the whole industry is ripe with it (using engineering terms incorrectly, that is.....)
http://funnysalescartoons.com/photo/dilbert-as-a-sales-engineer-on?context=latest

No need to insult me, this was a simple question. And not for you btw.

I asked it because I have a multiprocessor chip at home which is in fact refereed to clockless and has the exact property I described, the GA144.
Of course there is are oscillators to drive the processors but they communicate with each other without global clock, and obviously the do not need clock buffers  Grin
(And yes there are anecdotes of people telling them their design wouldn't work, but it does and again I already own one of their functioning chips)
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 04:37:05 AM

Face-palm......

I asked it because I have a multiprocessor chip at home which is in fact refereed to clockless and has the exact property I described, the GA144.
Of course there is are oscillators to drive the processors but they communicate with each other without global clock, and obviously the do not need clock buffers  Grin
(And yes there are anecdotes of people telling them their design wouldn't work, but it does and again I already own one of their functioning chips)

Oscillators are means to provide a clock. Most any digital calculation requires a clock because you need to know when the data is present and ready to be calculated.

That's an interesting chip, what are you using it for?
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 05:48:12 AM

Whatever, you are a joke Elden.  Just like Puerto Libre and CreativeX you have to make up "facts" to bash BFL.  You are pathetic. Unlike Puerto Libre and CreativeX, I had some respect for you until it became clear that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about and you're still pissed off BFL rained all over your parade last year.

Hey welcome to the club Elden! Seems you're also off Josh's Christmas list, grats!

hardcore-fs

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 06:36:38 AM

Face-palm......

LOL...... man up.
The previous post is in NO way an insult.

BTC:1PCTzvkZUFuUF7DA6aMEVjBUUp35wN5JtF
Inaba
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 07:05:20 AM

Get some education and help bud, not all of your current and future customers can be "pathological/liars". There is always a cause behind every situation. Find out what the commonalities are as a first step to a resolution.

It can be anything from communication issues to simply a lack of a broad understanding of a series of issues.

Fitting your current/former/future customers base into a labeled box of "liars" is an uneducated way of going about finding a resolution to these issues.

A former customer can be won back if you pamper them. Though you don't write to them as if they are trash once you have issued a refund. If you consider them trash or a waste of resources, at the tip of a hat, then what does it say about your valuation of these individuals buying products from you?

Stop with the "pathological liar" routine and start somewhere helpful. If there is an issue, find a way to correct it and resolve the issue.

There's only a few of you who are either pathological liars, like Elden, CreativeX and yourself or there are those that have agendas, namely to besmirch BFL at every turn with false information.  You don't seem to understand, we don't want customers like you. Ever. The effort vs reward ratio on people like you is disastrous to a company; You are the type of people that drag everything around you down because you've failed in one fashion or another and you want everyone else to be dragged to your level so that you don't feel so bad about yourselves.  The thing is, it's only a few select people ... you'll notice how no one else posts the ridiculous information you clowns post, right?  There's a reason for that - most people have a well developed sense of reality.  They understand the need to check their facts before passing them along to others.  You and those like you lack it, this is the "commonality" you are wondering about.  You don't check facts; You just want something to be true so desperately that you convince yourself that they are true, so you post them as if these imaginary things you have floating around in your head are facts.  What's truly frightening is the fact that you can be shown beyond a shadow of a doubt that what you're claiming is unquestionably false and you still maintain that it's true.  This last bit with Elden is a nice example of that. 

Inaba: "Here is a link to a post of you stating X." 
Elden: "No I didn't state X."
Inaba: "Are you denying that you posted that?"
Elden: "No."
Inaba: "..."

It's bizarre, but it is what it is.  But it's impossible to argue with someone so self deluded that they deny evidence that is right in front of them.

You made poor choices and now you have to live with them.  What's not understandable is why you feel the need to continually make things up and pass along false information, regardless of the reason behind it.  If you are just truly so ignorant that you can't be bothered to check your facts before posting, then stop posting.  If it's not case of ignorance, then it's pure malice or pettiness.  In either case, if you stopped posting on this forum all together, the collective IQ of Bitcoin Talk would rise by several points.  That is what your "contribution" to this community is - a sum negative.  It sucks to be at the bottom, I'm sure, but that's where people like you are and you need to deal with it and not involve others in your pathetic shenanigans. 

If you're searching these lines for a point, you've probably missed it.  There was never anything there in the first place.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 07:15:53 AM

Everything I say can be backed up with facts...

Can you explain the facts behind these quotes?

Quote from: BFL_Josh
There was a flaw in the chip that needed to be addressed and it pushed the date out, plain and simple.

There is a correction to be made: Chips are not and were not flawed.

Buy & Hold
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 07:43:19 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2012, 08:03:08 AM by PuertoLibre

Everything I say can be backed up with facts...

Can you explain the facts behind these quotes?

Quote from: BFL_Josh
There was a flaw in the chip that needed to be addressed and it pushed the date out, plain and simple.

There is a correction to be made: Chips are not and were not flawed.

"Algunos de los que son culpables tienden a defenderse, incluso cuando nadie los está acusando de nada." -- Old Spanish Proverb

Tranlation: "Some who feel guilty of some matter will tend to defend themselves, even when no one is accusing them of anything."

@ BFL Representative

As you have pinned me and quite a few others (at an ever increasing rate) as having a pathology to lie, please place us on all on collective ignore. (Quickly!)

This way you blood pressure returns to normal and you turn less green (unlike the Hulk) when responding to some "non-sense" from former or prospective customers.

Or

Waste more seconds of your life addressing anything and everything in an agitated and unreasonable tone. Rather choosing to unleash the utter might of your rage and psychoanalysis on every respondent.

[Note: Keep in mind that you are not a qualified mental health professional and therefore are not qualified (no not even certified) to evaluate the mental condition or status of any individual.]

-----------------------

Please, tap the ignore button. If you are convinced that nothing can be done, do what is right. (plus ignore any facts to the contrary)

I still stand behind the idea of exellent customer service from each vendor. I do not think that customers (present, former or prospective] are somehow "trash" (my word) once a refund has been issued.

Nor do I believe that the employees under Jody or your care are "wasting" their resources doing the job which they are intended to perform and fulfill (with a smile behind the keyboard or the phone).

Last I checked, customers are not "resource leechers" (my word). They are a valuable part of your business. If your customer is irate, it is up to you, the employee to man up and earn your pay.

If that keeps your blood pressure high or keeps you up at night...find a way out of that role or find a better job where your experience and mannerisms are better suited.

etc etc etc...

Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 10:54:26 AM

I found out along time ago,that you can please most of the people (customers) most of the time & a few of the people (customers) none of the time.

Being a self-employed/buissness owner is an eye opener to human behaviour.

When I run into those select few,I drop them like a hot potato.Those folks can never be pleased & will do nothing but complain & waste your time to no end.

I have tried to reconcile with them,but it was utterly fruitless.Nothing I did,either free of labor fee's or parts made any difference.Once they get it in thier heads that you or the service you offer sucks,you will NEVER make them change thier minds...............EVER!!!!

Just a personal experience I thought I would share  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 11:54:12 AM

I found out along time ago,that you can please most of the people (customers) most of the time & a few of the people (customers) none of the time.

Being a self-employed/buissness owner is an eye opener to human behaviour.

When I run into those select few,I drop them like a hot potato.Those folks can never be pleased & will do nothing but complain & waste your time to no end.

I have tried to reconcile with them,but it was utterly fruitless.Nothing I did,either free of labor fee's or parts made any difference.Once they get it in thier heads that you or the service you offer sucks,you will NEVER make them change thier minds...............EVER!!!!

Just a personal experience I thought I would share  Wink
I have dealt with those too.

The "trick" is not in that you can't satisfy them, but that you can promise them something exclusive at a future date. (discounts for bad service, or a bad item, out of stock etc)

The real life (in your face) customers though, yeah I agree, you can't satisfy anyone once they have come to a conclusion about something or other. At which point, I agree, cut your loses and tell them off (very nicely).

-------------------------
I don't expect any BFL rep to work miracles. I just ask they keep people interested in the customer service portion of the process. You know, without being unnecessarily flippant at every other opportunity.

I am pretty sure, (because I have read actually read peoples comments) that people realize that a flippant rep doesn't give a damn about them as a customer. They (if like me) would quickly gather the impression that buying their product only keeps the flippant remarks behind closed doors. (well, until you request a refund)

I evaluated BFL as my first choice, then I saw the rep above, and boy did that change my mind. I had to go with Avalon instead.

The sum of all the bad parts made the choice alot easier.

(Well, that, and the Avalon team had a self contained unit while the other two did not.)

------------------------

So it goes to show, that if you leave a bad impression in public, it does cost you in terms of customers and the cash they bring. I am not the first person to comment on this.

Does that mean I won't buy BFL if Gen 2 comes around? Sure will, but that customer service better improve sharply, the delays should be addressed, the flow of information should increase (transparency), and the tired and angry reps should remain behind closed doors when they have a fit. Far from where I can see them and shake my head.

Does BFL make good hardware? Sure, as long as it is within spec. Just like any of the other ASIC companies. (well...the ones that don't fail in some significant way)
yohan

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 12:58:58 PM

Any technological project is prone to delays and problems and every time I think out any project timescale I then multiple it by X3. Over my very long history in electronics that X3 number is usually about right. Putting that into simple terms the logistical and technological problems take twice as long to fix as the original timescale.

I have said before that competition is good and I think it is up to all the ASIC vendors to deliver and prove their products. I think we should leave them to just get on and prove themselves. Personally I think there are too many ASICs coming in the near future and many people won't get the return they think they will out of ASICs. It's a case of too many too soon and a slower drop in, smaller performance jump, would be much better for the health of Bitcoin. If I prove to be wrong then we will consider letting our Goliath technology into the market but we think it's way too much for now.

Yohan
Cablez
Legendary

Activity: 1400

I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

View Profile
December 02, 2012, 03:32:05 PM

If I prove to be wrong then we will consider letting our Goliath technology into the market but we think it's way too much for now.
Yohan

Don't name drop if you aren't willing to share some gory details about what it is. I hate surprises.  Tongue Wink   (Tongue meet cheek)

Tired of substandard power distribution in your ASIC setup???   Chris' Custom Cablez will get you sorted out right!  No job too hard so PM me for a quote
Check my products or ask a question here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=74397.0
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: