Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 05:42:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Hacking KNC Titan / Jupiter / Neptune miners back to life. Why not?  (Read 76590 times)
alain84

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 23, 2016, 11:39:58 AM

1) Are you running the latest 2.00 Titan code from KNC? If not run it.

YES, version is 2.0 titan code from knc

2) What does the light on the controller board do? It should flash white for a few seconds, then go off, then turn on green if you are running 2.00 code. If it flashes white quickly, then turns off then flashes white again the controller has a shorted FPGA. If no lights at all the FPGA and TMS chips may be bad.

The gold standard test is to ssh into the titan controller with username pi password whatevertheadminpasswordis, then type

io-pwr init

And watch the light. If it comes on green and there are no errors in your ssh session you're good. If you get errors, post them.

After io-pwr init , the light is turn green+red, look like yellow for 30 seconds  and  cgminer say-----   TPS65217 ok. Modificitarion A, Revision 1.2------the system is going down for reboot now! (console)

And the board reset, and big  led is green  and three small led green,but in lcd display say kncminer spimux and not recognized none cubes, and restar every five minutes

in the end, Lightfoot is trying to revive my controller boards with its magic, if for some reason have no solution will keep for sale everything that I mentioned before in this post

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1623340

thanks for understanding

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Searing
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
October 01, 2016, 03:34:18 AM

Hey lightfoot sent you a pm on 3 cubes to send in and a such.....but no reply (just a nudge in case things are slow and you did not get to such)

fun fun fun in titan land Smiley

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 2240

I fix broken miners. And make holes in teeth :-)

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 05:32:58 PM

Hey lightfoot sent you a pm on 3 cubes to send in and a such.....but no reply (just a nudge in case things are slow and you did not get to such)

No problem, just busy on a couple of other projects. And seriously hating trying to do diagnostics on neptunes (because they're kinda like titans without the value)  using my Tektronix scope. It is a bitch on wheels trying to probe SOT type chips, I'm going to have to micro-solder wire wrap to the pins to get test points.

Bitch on wheels.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 06:02:17 PM

No problem, just busy on a couple of other projects. And seriously hating trying to do diagnostics on neptunes (because they're kinda like titans without the value)  using my Tektronix scope. It is a bitch on wheels trying to probe SOT type chips, I'm going to have to micro-solder wire wrap to the pins to get test points.

Bitch on wheels.

Hey, lightfoot.... Im wondering ... since these ASICs dont have on die thermistors ... we dont really know the running temp of the ASIC's.
Im wondering, do you think it would makeany sort of sense to make an array of 4 thermistors mounted to the underside of the PCB in the center of each die? It wouldnt have to be permanently(could just be sticky pads) but we could at least use that as a metric to see temperature delta's between dies maybe? I dont know, its just a random idea. Its hella unfortunate we dont know the true temp of each die ugh....

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
402blownstroker

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 10:14:39 PM

Weird,Titans are NOT Bitcoin mining hardware so why is this thread in this section still??

Shouldn't it be in the ALTCOIN section??

Discussion re Titans is nopt nearly as lively in the altcoin section.  I pretty much follow gentarkin wherever he goes...  Grin
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2016, 10:26:30 PM

Weird,Titans are NOT Bitcoin mining hardware so why is this thread in this section still??

Discussion re Titans is nopt nearly as lively in the altcoin section.  I pretty much follow gentarkin wherever he goes...  Grin
I guess, and if someone really wants to move it, go for it. This started as a bitcoin thread with the Neptunes and Titans are basically Neptunes that make money and have different chips.

What should I look into fixing next, if anything? To be honest, bitcoin mining gear depreciates so quickly that by the time you ship it, it's obsolete :-)
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 11:39:12 AM

Discussion re Titans is nopt nearly as lively in the altcoin section.  I pretty much follow gentarkin wherever he goes...  Grin
I guess, and if someone really wants to move it, go for it. This started as a bitcoin thread with the Neptunes and Titans are basically Neptunes that make money and have different chips.

What should I look into fixing next, if anything? To be honest, bitcoin mining gear depreciates so quickly that by the time you ship it, it's obsolete :-)

Just tryin to help Mikstang clean up this forum,he's chums with ck so thought I could make some brownie points too  Wink

sacrcasm

You won't have to worry bout fixin BTC mining hardware much longer,no new makers = home miner extinction  Sad

May be GPU's & PSU's ??

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 01:03:19 PM

You won't have to worry bout fixin BTC mining hardware much longer,no new makers = home miner extinction  Sad

May be GPU's & PSU's ??
Yeah, I think it's sad that home mining is going away. The root of the problem though is simple: Mining is a perfect market, and as such it's not possible to make profits. Home people have it worse, mining hardware by nature is buggy and experimental and really crap in terms of quality. It rewards people who are willing to take shortcuts (powering a bunch of miners off a big PS without fusing which equals fire but better efficiency), and it rewards companies who put out the cheapest fastest developed things possible (since checking for errors takes time and time means you lose the window to market to someone who didn't bother to check).

KNC did this with the lack of optoisolators on the signal inputs. Had they done this, 90% of the problems would not have happened. But you can't blame them; spending that time to put in that solution would have put them behind someone else who didn't give a fuck.

It's a queen's race right to the bottom. Drat.
GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 03, 2016, 02:22:25 PM

Both threads are relevant here simply because KNC made BTC mining hardware as well, and both topics apply to their whole model lineup. It just so happens that Titans are currently their only model thats still relevant today =P

I also post in both sections because I know people read both =)

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
mmfiore

Activity: 808
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 19, 2016, 07:26:24 PM

I have a cube that just suddenly went bad. The dies configure correctly but there is no frequency shown for the cube when I look at it using putty. Any ideas if this is fixable?

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
     ▄██▀   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ▐██▄
    ▄██    ██▀ ▄▄▄▄         ▀▀
 ▄███▀     █ ▄█▀ ▄▄▄           ▄██▄
██  ██     █ █  █████  █ ▄    ██  ██
 ▀██▀            ▀▀▀ ▄██ █     ███▀
     ▄            ▄▄██▀ ▄█   ▄██▌
    ▀██▄          ▄▄▄▄▄█▀   ▄██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀
PRE-REGISTER NOW FOR
THE MAIN TOKENSALE

██
██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██
.MONETIZE YOUR IOT DATA!.

Telegram
Twitter
▄▄███████████████████████████████████▄▄
██████████▀▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀██████████
█████████▌ ██          █▌ ██  █████████
██████████▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄  ▐█████████
█████████▀▀█████████████████  ▀████████
████████  ▄███▀ ▄▄▄▄█████████▌ ▀███████
██████▀  ▄██▀ ▄█▀ ▄▄██████████▄▄███████
███▀▀▀  ███▌ ▄█ ▄█▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀▀███
██▌ ██ ▐███▌ █▌ █ ▐█▌ █▌ █ ▐███  ██ ▐██
███▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄█▀ ▄█ ▐███▌  ▄▄███
███████▀▀██████████▄▄▄▄█▀ ▄███▀  ██████
███████▄  █████████▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀  ███████
████████▄  ▀█████████████████▄▄████████
██████████    ▀██████████▀▀▀▀██████████
██████████▌ ██ ▐█         ██ ▐█████████
███████████▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄██████████
▀▀███████████████████████████████████▀▀
helipotte

Activity: 650
Merit: 500

Pick and place? I need more coffee.

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 01:16:14 AM

You could repair GPU's.  I have been repairing them with good results.  Many of the ones I repair simply have shorted mosfets or smd parts knocked off the back of the card.
irritant

Activity: 473
Merit: 250

Sodium hypochlorite, acetone, ethanol

View Profile
October 21, 2016, 05:48:54 AM

and maybe try to mod them into their professional counterparts, im afraid it is not so easy (anymore), since pascal, but on kepler it works

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/hacking-nvidia-cards-into-their-professional-counterparts/1250/
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 02:09:13 AM

Interesting thought, I'll have to find some broken AMD cards somewhere. :-)

In the meantime I have found something interesting: Was looking at one of my sacrificial boards, pin 6 was dead shorted and I had drilled holes trying to clear the short. So I pulled the die to see where the short was on the chip.

The board was still shorted. Hm. Then I pulled the chip from the board where I pulled the dies out. Board still shorted.

I think I'm going to sit down and remove every component on my third board. If anyone has any shorted Titans they want me to destroy to figure this out let me know. (note: This is the pin 6 shorted issue, not the pin 4 shorted issue.)

C
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 02:09:43 AM

Also I'm going to be out in Vegas later this week, if anyone there wants to grab a beer let me know.

C
forzendiablo
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1000

the grandpa of cryptos

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 02:11:36 AM

i have to check if my neptune is still working Smiley

yolo
lightfoot (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 02:42:30 AM

Neptunes have never done this. I have a bunch of boards and have tried to replicate this failure, no luck so far...
mmfiore

View Profile
November 01, 2016, 10:54:53 PM

Still having an interesting problem with 2 of my cubes. They run for a couple minutes and then shut down. Temperatures are low according to KNC advanced page but I recall Gen Tarkin saying these temps are not really the die temps. So I am thinking maybe the dies are over heating. Both of these cubes started acting up after I reapplied some Gelid heat sync compound from a new jar. Both cubes had the compound from the new jar of paste. I noticed that the consistency of the new paste seemed much more fluid than normal. Other than that it looked the same. Since I applied this compound these cubes will not run for more than a couple of minutes. I tried lowering the frequency to 50 MHz and now the cube runs flawlessly. Can anyone recommend a good heat sync compound for the titans as I now don't trust this brand. I will continue my experiments to confirm it is the heat sync compound.  

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀
PRE-REGISTER NOW FOR
THE MAIN TOKENSALE

██
██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██

Telegram
Twitter
TXSteve

Activity: 342

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 03:27:17 AM

sounds like your heat sink isn't seated properly. redo the repaste, this time double check the alignment pins stay in the holes as you tighten it down
mmfiore

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 05:40:52 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2016, 06:00:29 PM by mmfiore

I reapplied paste 3 times, twice with Gelid and then I used another brand. It is not the paste. Still not hashing right anymore. The heat sync is down tight. It runs for a minute or so then the power to the dies cuts off drops to zero. If I run it at real low frequency the cube seems to hash okay. I don't see any indication of over heating. I am not sure what is wrong at this point.

Epilog:

Good news I believe I have found the problem. I switched out the power supply and the cube started hashing at full power. The Tekamake power supply could no longer supply power to the cube. Good thing I have some power supplies being shipped. This is good news as the cube is still good!
This will most likely fix the other cube as well as they were on the same power supply at one time. Hurray! Thanks for the input.

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀

▄██▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ███████████ ██  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀███▌
       ▄                  ▐██
      ██▄                   ▀▀
       ▀███▄            ▄██▄
       ██  ██  ██████████  ██
        ▀██▀            ▀██▀
PRE-REGISTER NOW FOR
THE MAIN TOKENSALE

██
██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
██ ██
   ██
   ██

Telegram
Twitter
TXSteve

Activity: 342

View Profile
November 03, 2016, 09:42:40 PM

good job, I hate those thermaltake psu's (seasonics too)
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 »
  Print  

Jump to: