Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:05:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Controlling the power spikes <the miners nightmare>! "cheap AVR"  (Read 761 times)
bittalc1 (OP)

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 12:27:08 AM
Last edit: December 17, 2015, 12:45:59 AM by bittalc1

This community helped me alot, and also learned me how to make some buck on the side Smiley , so i want to contribute to all you guys.

Ok, so here is my setup, and after a year there is still no major problem, only few miners show x from time to time, but no big deal!

I'm reading all the time that all you guys have problems with burned out boards,PSU, everything!

1. ALL HAPPENS FROM POWER SPIKES and NOT REGULATED VOLTAGE! of course you will have to have professionally installed electrical installation, so if anything happens the "automatic power breaker" does the job!

This is cheap way to go without UPS but still control your voltage spikes that do nasty stuff. I was logging the spikes in my house and saw that when the power outage occurs and when the power come back again, one time hit the 400V and our grid is 220V!! All electrical equipment have some tolerance for this spikes, BUT not for 400V AC, that is too much, the low voltage also make huge problems!
Our equipment needs constant regulated voltage to operate in normal parameters.

First see this picture

So i control the voltage spikes with the response time regulator which is set to 0.1sec, and my low threshold is 210VAC , high 242VAC, so when the power outage occurs the relay stops the voltage to the contactor and the power is out for the miners, so they don't get fried when the voltage spikes to haven, and when is back it turns on but only when the voltage is in my setup limits so only when is between 210<>242.

This beautiful monitoring relay, watch that spikes and responds every time ON TIME!

The main power is also going through 50AMP automatic breakers, my max amp per Phase is 64A.

That's it guys, for ~0.5BTC you can do this setup and keep your equipment fresh and happy Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 01:07:41 AM

This community helped me alot, and also learned me how to make some buck on the side Smiley , so i want to contribute to all you guys.

Ok, so here is my setup, and after a year there is still no major problem, only few miners show x from time to time, but no big deal!

I'm reading all the time that all you guys have problems with burned out boards,PSU, everything!

1. ALL HAPPENS FROM POWER SPIKES and NOT REGULATED VOLTAGE! of course you will have to have professionally installed electrical installation, so if anything happens the "automatic power breaker" does the job!

This is cheap way to go without UPS but still control your voltage spikes that do nasty stuff. I was logging the spikes in my house and saw that when the power outage occurs and when the power come back again, one time hit the 400V and our grid is 220V!! All electrical equipment have some tolerance for this spikes, BUT not for 400V AC, that is too much, the low voltage also make huge problems!
Our equipment needs constant regulated voltage to operate in normal parameters.

First see this picture

So i control the voltage spikes with the response time regulator which is set to 0.1sec, and my low threshold is 210VAC , high 242VAC, so when the power outage occurs the relay stops the voltage to the contactor and the power is out for the miners, so they don't get fried when the voltage spikes to haven, and when is back it turns on but only when the voltage is in my setup limits so only when is between 210<>242.

This beautiful monitoring relay, watch that spikes and responds every time ON TIME!

The main power is also going through 50AMP automatic breakers, my max amp per Phase is 64A.

That's it guys, for ~0.5BTC you can do this setup and keep your equipment fresh and happy Smiley

What would this do, for miners that are behind PSU with Under, Over, etc volt protection? As far as i understand, if a spike happen, the surge protector is supposed to catch it, and if the PSU's 12V output would fluctuate, the PSU protection would either stabilize it or shut itself down if it can't?

Hereby protecting your miner from exploding due to the volt spiking dangerously. (?)

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
bittalc1 (OP)

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 01:35:11 AM

for ten years i work with low voltage power supplies, from time to time i spot 220v out and it should give 12v, they also have surge protectors and over under voltage protection, but lots of the time the electronic in this devices fail and due to that fail the whole equipment behind that supply burns. This is double protection for your whole gear
westom

Activity: 61
Merit: 5

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 03:11:40 PM

What would this do, for miners that are behind PSU with Under, Over, etc volt protection? As far as i understand, if a spike happen, the surge protector is supposed to catch it, and if the PSU's 12V output would fluctuate, the PSU protection would either stabilize it or shut itself down if it can't?
Relevant numbers are needed.  For example, a PSU on 230 volts should withstand spikes up to (somewhere around) 1000 volts.  Second, a surge protector for 230 volt operation may have a let-through voltage of somewhere above 500 volts.  That means it does absolutely nothing (remains inert) until voltage well exceeds 500 volts.

Third, surges that actually do damage are all but invited inside to go hunting for earth destructively via appliances.  Destructive via appliances such as the furnace, dishwasher, clocks, etc.  So if any computer needs protection, then so does everything else.  Therefore the solution is to earth a surge BEFORE it can enter a building.

These 'whole house' solutions not only exist.  They have been standard in facilities that could not have damage even 100 years ago.
SerialLain

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 04:33:49 PM

Decent power supplies should provide inrush and overvoltage protection. The DPS-2000BB would tolerate spikes reasonably well.

Depending on the money you are willing to put into this, you could use DIN rail surge protectors, for example Phoenix Contact has a detailed catalog.

https://www.phoenixcontact.com/assets/downloads_ed/global/web_dwl_promotion/52005654-01_EN_DE_LR.pdf

You can easily get up 50kva protectors that are designed for your entire house and three phases.

If you are into jury rigging somewhat dangerous and potential fire hazards you can play around with NTC thermistors and splice them into the voltage regulator you posted.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: