Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 02:36:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: And some more delays in BFL shipment plans / no shipment before 14th Jan 2013  (Read 22690 times)
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:51:50 PM

My loss I guess. No hard feelings then. Cool

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:54:03 PM

Holy molly, you guys do you homework. I don't even have any clue what these names belong to.
Kinda disturbing all the same names come up in this tight web of associations.

And Josh calls me a stalker?! I have never even tried but I can't hold a tiny candle next to you extensive research.

The only thing missing is for someone to stick a finger up their collective butt and check their temperature.....
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:55:12 PM

you found that flippant.  The fact that she is joking about, "our families will have the burden of having us all at home to celebrate with them."? That's a common joke and she isn't referring to anything that has to do with us.  But she has respectfully offered a refund by stating,

" If we have extended our date beyond your ability to stick with us, we at Customer Service are ready to refund money for those who want to get out of the line."
In the tone I read it, it did sounds flippant.
wdBTCtrader

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:56:03 PM

Has anyone ever actually met any of these people? I know exactly one BFL reps full name, the rest are all first names or convicted felons that seemingly have no official capacity with the company. I'll reserve my worry about Jody & her family's well being when I'm convinced there is a BFL_Jody.

Since BFL_Josh is in tight with Neal Fletcher and Neal Fletcher is a known puppetmaster over at bullshido...well color me skeptical.
I am not even going to touch that topic.

What concerns me is that I get the impression that Jody and Josh are not even in the same building most of the time. They talk as if they haven't seen each other in the workplace [in the same day].

Whats up with that?

Why is Jody talking about it like it's the first shes heard of it? Isn't she GM (General Manager) and don't they see each other all of the time? Or is she a stay at home CS type of thing? (Serious question)

why does she act like she just heard the latest word from the blog or a post?

I do agree with the point that they seriously need to communicate better amongst themselves, but if they are telecommuting that's nothing new many do it all the time.  Just b/c people are in the same building that doesn't mean they will communicate any better..
miter_myles

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:57:28 PM

Shall I take that to mean you dispute my post?  Huh

Josh is a poorly adjusted dishonest as sh0le, so what? This is not news to anyone that can read his posts. Try to stay on topic.

I'm only pointing out motives, since motive is what gives your posts credence and you credibility.  And given your motives I no longer belief you're worth my time or effort.  

then STFU and GTFO!  kthxbye!

BTC - 1D7g5395bs7idApTx1KTXrfDW7JUgzx6Z5
LTC - LVFukQnCWUimBxZuXKqTVKy1L2Jb8kZasL
wdBTCtrader

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:57:48 PM

My loss I guess. No hard feelings then. Cool

No, none at all.
wdBTCtrader

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 07:59:16 PM

Josh is a poorly adjusted dishonest as sh0le, so what? This is not news to anyone that can read his posts. Try to stay on topic.

I'm only pointing out motives, since motive is what gives your posts credence and you credibility.  And given your motives I no longer belief you're worth my time or effort.  

okay, who the f*ck are you and why do you care?
miter_myles

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:00:07 PM

it doesn't matter - I'm not worth your time and effort as well.. move along now peasant.. (aka GTFO)

wdBTCtrader

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:02:18 PM

then STFU and GTFO!  kthxbye!

it doesn't matter - I'm not worth your time and effort as well.. move along now peasant.. (aka GTFO)

then what was the point of posting in the first place?  edit -  answer: b/c you're a troll.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:02:28 PM

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
miter_myles

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:03:25 PM

makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:03:41 PM

fact: you can not make adjustments once the MASK is made. even if you were to run a gate/metal fix, you'd still have to run the whole process all over, which is a workflow of 2 month. This time is also completely not limited by man power, but limited to how fast the Fab can produce the layers, and this is not magic, it is mathematically calculable once you "tape-out", how fast you will get your chips back. all these are industry standard. TSMC, one of the big players in this field can produce a "super hot lot" in 0.8 days.
Note that this is effectively the minimum time. From what I've read TSMC and the other big players generally meet their schedules like clockwork but smaller boutique fabs tend to have more trouble giving a firm shipping date and sticking to it. I'm not actually sure why BFL felt using a smaller fab was something they should boast about...

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:19:58 PM

Note that this is effectively the minimum time. From what I've read TSMC and the other big players generally meet their schedules like clockwork but smaller boutique fabs tend to have more trouble giving a firm shipping date and sticking to it. I'm not actually sure why BFL felt using a smaller fab was something they should boast about...

It's been mentioned before, but doing business in Asia isn't just about the reliability of your manufacturers - your choice of professional agent is absolutely critical to timelines being met.  It's worrying that BFL is always having to chase down their agent for information rather than the agent keeping them updated.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:21:30 PM

It's been mentioned before, but doing business in Asia isn't just about the reliability of your manufacturers - your choice of professional agent is absolutely critical to timelines being met.  It's worrying that BFL is always having to chase down their agent for information rather than the agent keeping them updated.
That must be why it is so cheap. Some legwork is required at a boutique fab?
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:25:41 PM

Relations are required.
repentance

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:36:46 PM
Last edit: December 11, 2012, 08:49:07 PM by repentance

Western business people regard having good contacts as essential to success.  Relationships are also a critical part of doing business in Asia.  Not only do you need an agent who actually has the influence they say they have, you need an agent who will actively use that influence on your behalf unless you want your orders to be pushed aside repeatedly because another agent has a better relationship with the manufacturer than yours does.

Am I the only one here who's gob-smacked by the fact that none of the project leads for any of the BTC ASIC vendors seem to have been flying to Asia on a regular basis to meet with their agents and manufacturers?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
ChipGeek

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 09:01:20 PM

Missed a word there, 0.8 day per layer. I am not saying you can finish the whole chip in 0.8 days, for example our chip has 29 layers, as we released earlier this week in our development thread.

DOH!  That's what I get for posting before morning coffee.   Embarrassed

0.8 days per layer is totally within my experience and I believe is correct.  Sorry - I stand corrected. 

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
PuertoLibre
Legendary

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 09:47:32 PM

Am I the only one here who's gob-smacked by the fact that none of the project leads for any of the BTC ASIC vendors seem to have been flying to Asia on a regular basis to meet with their agents and manufacturers?
I thought no one else had noticed this.

It sounds incredibly stupid [of them] to spend several million on a mask (or two, or three) and not even talk about how an actual BFL rep is spending a thousand or two to keep going back and forth between their fab and the states.

I am glad someone else noticed this!

It borders on the absurd. I think Tom was doing this, but I can't be sure.
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 09:53:05 PM

Tom said he was flying around the States to facilitate production of his gear on at least one occasion I recall. No trips to Asia for obvious reasons.

repentance

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 09:56:17 PM

Tom said he was flying around the States to facilitate production of his gear on at least one occasion I recall. No trips to Asia for obvious reasons.

I must have missed that.  My apologies to Tom.

I know that we don't know the exact location of BFL's foundry, but given that the date has been pushed back to January it might be wise to start talking to the agent about whether Chinese New Year is going to be an issue if there are any further slips in the date.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: