Bitcoin Forum
May 19, 2024, 06:19:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 22 Kids Stabbed At School In China  (Read 15545 times)
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 03:47:03 PM

LOL... looks like someone is a little insecure.

I suspect RodeoX might be, what with bragging about shooting his assault rifles. Good call!
lol, I don't get accused of that much. Normally I'm criticized for not caring enough about what others think. I guess I do brag about my AR build. I recently finished it and I'm happy with how it turned out. 
But insecure is a fearful position and I don't fear many things. I think you have to be ignorant of something to fear it. For example I do not have your fear of guns because I know abut them. Just as I don't break into a sweat when I see a guy holding a screwdriver, even though a screwdriver could kill me.
I am afraid of serial killers and monsters like this school shooter. Them I can't understand, and my ignorance makes them seem extra creepy.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 04:12:28 PM

I am afraid of serial killers and monsters like this school shooter. Them I can't understand, and my ignorance makes them seem extra creepy.

I understand them (at least I think I do) a little, and trust me, knowing their motivations doesn't make them any less scary.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 04:58:42 PM

Thought-provoking articles from Randy Cassingham:

http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-thinking_about_newtown.html
http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-asking_the_right_questions.html

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 05:53:57 PM

I understand them (at least I think I do) a little, and trust me, knowing their motivations doesn't make them any less scary.
I should try harder. Even calling them "monsters" is showing ignorance. They are not monsters, they are fellow humans.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 06:50:08 PM

BAN KNIVES! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 06:51:41 PM

See if you can spot the logical fallacies in your argument.

Protip:  There's 3 of them

There is not fallacies in my argument because I am not arguing. I am directly mocking your argument.

After you're done, come back and we might be able to have a debate.  As it is, you're just blathering without making any sense.

Like the nonsense you projected from your psyche?

Door locks are to keep honest people honest.  They do nothing to deter dishonest people. Can you tell me how your puny little door lock will stop my foot?  I'm going to make a guess here: You think that having more lights (streetlights, porch light, etc...) in your neighborhood is a good thing and makes your neighborhood safer, too, right? 95% of locks are a joke, especially on suburban households.  The tolerances on the tumblers in your locks on your front door (deadbolt included) are so incredibly sloppy that I could manually pick them in under a minute. I was ass deep in muck and mud in the jungles of Panama trying not to die from poisonous animals, plants and disease while eating dried out but more often soggy MREs and hoping some asshole didn't frag me because he was too jumpy or some piece of shit guerrilla didn't stab me in the night. Yes, your sad plight of having to walk around a bad neighborhood in the evening and being able to go home to a warm house and hot food was weighing on my thoughts, let me tell you.  I am so sorry you had to brave the jungles of Compton for 10 minutes every few days. I haven't said word one about gun control, I was telling you about locks. In fact, if you are some place I am going to be, soon, I will be happy to give you a demonstration as to just how ineffective your lock is, assuming you give me permission.

Perhaps you should do a demonstration for the British Metropolitan Police and convince the crime prevention department that 'door locks do nothing to deter dishonest people' because you 'was ass deep in muck and mud in the jungles of Panama trying not to die from poisonous animals, plants and disease':

http://www.met.police.uk/crimeprevention/docs/bumblebee_burglary_prevention.pdf

Much of our work is aimed at making you feel safer in your community and helping you avoid crime. This booklet offers you straight forward advice on how to improve your home security and dramatically reduce the likelihood of experiencing a burglary.

(...)

Burglary can have a long-lasting emotional impact on victims, leaving them feeling isolated and vulnerable. However, by taking just a few simple measures you can reduce the chances of it happening to you. This section gives you a wealth of simple and practical advice on how to deter thieves, so you feel more secure in your home.

Why might your home be targeted? Most burglaries tend to be opportunistic, rather than planned. Burglars usually choose houses that have little or no visible security. So if your home does not look secure, seems unlived in, or provides unobserved access, it could be at risk. Understanding what burglars look for when choosing their target will help you identify weak spots in your home’s security.

(...)

Doors and windows are the primary route of entry and exit for most burglars, so it’s vital that you know what the safest kinds of doors and locking systems are. Remember to take this guide with you if you are considering buying new ones.

(...)

Lights can be a very successful crime prevention measure at night.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 07:31:56 PM

Knives have utility. Your post actually shows intense disrespect.

And let me head you off before you come back with more lame argumentation. If you wish to respond by stating knives are more effective weapons than guns, and far more dangerous, then it follows that nobody actually needs guns, and even the military would not need guns.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 07:35:08 PM

Knives have utility.

So do guns.

RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 08:11:37 PM

The advice from the British police is all good at preventing burglars.  But burglars and robbers are different types of criminals. A burglar does not want to see you. He wants to steal from you while your not aware. A robber is not afraid to confront you, they are considered to be much more dangerous. One of the most serious types of robbery is home invasion. Such a robber may well kill you and rape your family during the break in. Robbers don't give a crap about your well lit yard and laugh at the idea of a locked door. Locks are so that Soccer moms can "feel" safe. They have almost zero actual value.  

augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 08:43:44 PM

But burglars and robbers are different types of criminals...

The premise I am contesting assumes that door locks could not deter 'dishonest people'. Whatever the perpetrator is a burglar or a robber, his/her chances to break in a well secured house are very low when compared with a house which is poorly secured. Therefore, door locks can deter 'dishonest people' and that is why these methods are applied. As FirstAscent already proposed, if these methods were not efficient, they would not be applied or recommend.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 09:03:53 PM

But burglars and robbers are different types of criminals...

The premise I am contesting assumes that door locks could not deter 'dishonest people'. Whatever the perpetrator is a burglar or a robber, his/her chances to break in a well secured house are very low when compared with a house which is poorly secured. Therefore, door locks can deter 'dishonest people' and that is why these methods are applied. As FirstAscent already proposed, if these methods were not efficient, they would not be applied or recommend.
My Dad was a cop for 30+ years . He was a ranking police official and graduate of the FBI academy.  Once when we were at the front door he mentioned what a joke locks are, so I called him on it.
"But what if you used a bank vault door? Then your safe right?" I asked.
Without saying a word he knocked on the door and when my brother opened it, Dad just looked over at me and smiled.  Locks are a joke to the serious thug.
My home has ridiculous security; cameras, sensors, etc. But I use them only to tell if a break-in is happening and to track an invader around the house. Only my weapons are going to keep me safe.

Maybe it is my Dad again? I don't think of bad guys as something you run from. I was raised to go after bad guys and keep them from getting away. 

myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 09:07:23 PM

Without saying a word he knocked on the door and when my brother opened it, Dad just looked over at me and smiled. 

This. You can always hack the person.

FirstAscent

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 09:08:57 PM

Without saying a word he knocked on the door and when my brother opened it, Dad just looked over at me and smiled.  Locks are a joke to the serious thug.

Dous your brother open the door in the middle of the night? Does your brother open the door when he is not home? Does your brother not use a peephole?
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 09:13:36 PM

Dous your brother open the door in the middle of the night? Does your brother open the door when he is not home? Does your brother not use a peephole?

I would use a peep hole.  But one could just throw a rock through your window... and now your inside. FirstAscent, you could get in your home in one min, right? So could anyone.

FirstAscent

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 09:19:45 PM

I would use a peep hole.  But one could just throw a rock through your window... and now your inside. FirstAscent, you could get in your home in one min, right? So could anyone.

It depends on the home and its location. Homes isolated from others are easier targets. Such homes are also, inexplicably owned by the people who leave their doors unlocked. And when someone does come in, the gun is only useful if it's in your hand before encountering the intruder.  And the handily available gun is the one the children find. It's also the gun the intruder finds, for his next foray.
Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 09:24:19 PM

Guns are for killing. Nothing else. Unlike cars, trains, planes, knives, axes and lawnmowers.

Roll Eyes

Guns are also for hammering, breaking things apart, marking lines and points in a straight line, measuring distances, drilling holes, removing nails and screws, sanding off sharp corners, adding rough wood texture, filing down edges, and holding work pieces in place. They are a very diverse and excellent carpentry tool. I believe even Jesus used one.
RodeoX
Legendary

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 09:28:47 PM

It depends on the home and its location. Homes isolated from others are easier targets. Such homes are also, inexplicably owned by the people who leave their doors unlocked. And when someone does come in, the gun is only useful if it's in your hand before encountering the intruder.  And the handily available gun is the one the children find. It's also the gun the intruder finds, for his next foray.
Agreed. And I do lock my doors. I also keep my guns locked up while I'm gone. I don't think it would stop a determined thief from stealing them, so they are also well hidden. The only time they are out of the safe is when I'm wearing it or it's on the nightstand. This does concern me however.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 09:29:50 PM

Guns are for killing. Nothing else. Unlike cars, trains, planes, knives, axes and lawnmowers.

Roll Eyes

Guns are also for hammering, breaking things apart, marking lines and points in a straight line, measuring distances, drilling holes, removing nails and screws, sanding off sharp corners, adding rough wood texture, filing edges, and holding work pieces in place. They are a very diverse and excellent carpentry tool. I believe even Jesus used one.

You actually could use a gun foe some those things. Not very efficient, but usable.

mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 01:16:04 AM

No you do not, but its really cute you think you do.
Stick to correcting spelling mistakes ok Smiley

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 01:55:35 AM

To paraphrase Penn Jillette from one of the early episodes of Penn's Sunday School, I believe:
There isn't "evil", there is WRONG. Do so-called "evil" people think to themselves, "oh, I'm going to do some evil shit today!". No. Everybody does what they believe to be correct in their own minds, even if it is anywhere from self-harm to tyranny/terrorism to genocide. Their beliefs are WRONG. Calling people "evil" ascribes a mystical explanation to why they do the WRONG things, and lessens their responsibility. Aggression upon others is WRONG. The aggressor's actions are not out of their control, they are not puppets of some almighty being called "Satan" or "God/Allah/whatever", they are 100% responsible. If someone is aggressing, that is WRONG, and you stop them.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: