Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 06:34:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Pay On Target: New High variance payout System Offered by Ozcoin  (Read 36277 times)
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4494
Merit: 1808

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 12:45:04 PM

Meanwhile ... Smiley
Rather than typing numbers into my desktop calculator over and over ... I wrote this:
http://tradebtc.net/potcalc.php

The defaults (which you can change before you press 'Calculate' are a=0.8 Cap=1.5 Fee=3%)
I'll change the defaults to whatever Graet sets them to ... when I notice they've changed Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 12:55:06 PM

Meanwhile ... Smiley
Rather than typing numbers into my desktop calculator over and over ... I wrote this:

The defaults (which you can change before you press 'Calculate' are a=0.8 Cap=1.5 Fee=3%)
I'll change the defaults to whatever Graet sets them to ... when I notice they've changed Smiley
I don't think you used the constant factor that corrects for share capping.

1EofoZNBhWQ3kxfKnvWkhtMns4AivZArhr   |   Who am I?   |   bitcoin-otc WoT
Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
kano
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 01:17:56 PM

Meanwhile ... Smiley

Yeah I was applying it to share count Tongue
I've changed it to cap the share value ... hopefully that's correct.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 01:52:56 PM

Meanwhile ... Smiley

I'm not sure we're on the same page, the formula for payout is

[(1-a)/(1-a*wd^(1-a)*X^(a-1))]*(wd*B/D)*(min(X,sd)/wd)^a

So letting a = 0.8, wd = 1, sd = 10, D = 3370181.7992778, X = 1.5D, B = 24.25 you should get
9.42407*10^-6
Rather than 9.08*10^-6 as in the site.

Bitcoil - Exchange bitcoins for ILS (thread)   |   Israel Bitcoin community homepage (thread)
Analysis of Bitcoin Pooled Mining Reward Systems (thread, summary)  |   PureMining - Infinite-term, deterministic mining bond
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 01:55:30 PM

Meanwhile ... Smiley

So letting a = 0.8, wd = 1, sd = 10, D = 3370181.7992778, X = 1.5D you should get
9.42407*10^-6

He's including the 3% fee, which makes it closer. When are you applying the fee, kano?

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 01:56:52 PM

Meanwhile ... Smiley

So letting a = 0.8, wd = 1, sd = 10, D = 3370181.7992778, X = 1.5D you should get
9.42407*10^-6

He's including the 3% fee, which makes it closer. When are you applying the fee, kano?
Sorry, I included the fee too, ETA.
The calculator simply uses the (1-a) factor rather than the [(1-a)/(1-a*wd^(1-a)*X^(a-1))] factor.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 02:04:56 PM

heh well I guess I need to check what OzCoin is using at the moment - coz that's what matters
(I'm not sure they've updated it yet to whatever the next version of the calculation is)
I put the equations I'm using at the moment at the bottom of the web page
(and the cap I'm using is simply a cap on 'Your Share Difficulty')

Edit: i.e. I'm using the OP post equation

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 02:40:57 PM

Oh, I'm only using a lone BFL Single, but my varr diff is manually set to 2. Would that affect my earnings much? From what I can tell, a manually set work_difficulty makes for higher-paying high-diff shares, but fewer low-paying low-diff shares. Is this correct?
Sort of. You get paid the same as if the shares you submitted were only half the difficulty the are(since vardiff = work_difficulty =2), but multiplied by 2.

Think of it like this:

Reward per share = function(share_difficulty/work_difficulty) *  work_difficulty

So playing around with Kano's calculator (Thanks, btw! Just what I was looking for), it seems that manually setting work_difficulty to a higher value does increase the payout per share by a bit, at almost any share_difficulty. How is this offset? Just the fact that fewer shares are submitted?

I understand your first formula (the on in the OP) pretty well, the second I'm having a harder time wading thru. At this point, I'm just trying to figure out practical applications.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 02:51:52 PM

Oh, I'm only using a lone BFL Single, but my varr diff is manually set to 2. Would that affect my earnings much? From what I can tell, a manually set work_difficulty makes for higher-paying high-diff shares, but fewer low-paying low-diff shares. Is this correct?
Sort of. You get paid the same as if the shares you submitted were only half the difficulty the are(since vardiff = work_difficulty =2), but multiplied by 2.

Think of it like this:

Reward per share = function(share_difficulty/work_difficulty) *  work_difficulty

So playing around with Kano's calculator (Thanks, btw! Just what I was looking for), it seems that manually setting work_difficulty to a higher value does increase the payout per share by a bit, at almost any share_difficulty. How is this offset? Just the fact that fewer shares are submitted?
Yes. By upping the work_difficulty, shares which are less than the new value will not be paid at all. This offsets the higher payment for the shares that are paid.

I understand your first formula (the on in the OP) pretty well, the second I'm having a harder time wading thru. At this point, I'm just trying to figure out practical applications.
The second formula is what allows you to maintain the same average fee while capping the payout. It's more complicated, and that's part of the reason I'm not so enthusiastic about capping.

heh well I guess I need to check what OzCoin is using at the moment - coz that's what matters
(I'm not sure they've updated it yet to whatever the next version of the calculation is)
I put the equations I'm using at the moment at the bottom of the web page
(and the cap I'm using is simply a cap on 'Your Share Difficulty')

Edit: i.e. I'm using the OP post equation
Well if Graet is capping the shares but hasn't updated the formula, he's effectively taking 4% extra fee on top of the advertised fee. I hope this will be fixed soon.

GenTarkin
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 03:57:39 PM

Well as it stands now, POT is horribly broken in my case. Im seeing negatives in the PPS difference column on almost every block(on the site stats)
My overall is like 83% pps currently. So, the formula (hopefully new generations of it) will help fix this. Seems like my luck should be avg'n out to at least 100% ozcoin pps overall =P not a deficit of 17% =(

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:14:04 PM

As expected unless you hit some 1M+ shares...

GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 05:02:18 PM

LOL, 17% less than PPS? .. I dont think thats, "expected" .. "expected" would be hovering around 100% pps.. and deviate from that up n down .. if I can maintain a 117% pps for just as long a period, then I will retract my statement that the formula is broken...till that time, its broke =P

GenTarkin's MOD Kncminer Titan custom firmware! v1.0.4! -- !!NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!
Donations: bitcoin- 1Px71mWNQNKW19xuARqrmnbcem1dXqJ3At || litecoin- LYXrLis3ik6TRn8tdvzAyJ264DRvwYVeEw
Meni Rosenfeld
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 05:13:21 PM

LOL, 17% less than PPS? .. I dont think thats, "expected" .. "expected" would be hovering around 100% pps.. and deviate from that up n down .. if I can maintain a 117% pps for just as long a period, then I will retract my statement that the formula is broken...till that time, its broke =P
The Pay-on-Target payout distribution is highly asymmetric. You don't get roughly equal numbers of above-average and below-average shares; rather, you get (with a = 0.8 ) 87% of the shares to be lower than average, then once in a while you hit the jackpot. Maybe you will soon get that big win that will bring you back to the black, maybe not.

This of course does not rule out the possibility of an issue with the implementation.

Mysil2

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 05:35:24 PM

I can confirm the opposite. Running POT nearly 2 days with 4 Ghash/s now and I am at 18% above PPS rate. This is because I got an 3.18M share at diff 7.

Great idea with this new payout method, definitely bringing some fun into mining again Smiley - And I hope my luck won't faint...
GenTarkin
Legendary

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 07:13:56 PM

I hear what you guys are saying... but to me, if I take the "avg share diff 1" column value and plug that into my spreadsheet w/ a wdiff of 1 and submitted shares value of "avg share diff 1"(it shows me the pot PPS based on my "avg share diff 1" then multiply  by the value shown in "valid vardiff shares" column - that should be "ON AVERAGE" close to the cumulative paid amount per block row. Which, for nearly all my rows its about 20% short.

Meaning, the spreadsheet says, my calculated avg share diff 1 need to be a value of 8 to = ozco pps - fees.
But according to stats page, its looking like avg share diff 1 needs to be at least around 10+ to = ozco pps - fees....

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 07:20:05 PM

I can confirm the opposite. Running POT nearly 2 days with 4 Ghash/s now and I am at 18% above PPS rate. This is because I got an 3.18M share at diff 7.

Great idea with this new payout method, definitely bringing some fun into mining again Smiley - And I hope my luck won't faint...
Right now I'm at 12% under PPS, but a single share of 1million would bring me up to 45% over PPS. Damn you PoT for stringing me along! Tongue

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Graet (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 09:51:29 PM

A few winners starting to appear Smiley
Site stats are getting better and thanks to kano for the calculator - I can see it getting some lots of use Smiley

We will be changing to the latest formula after Blaksmith finishes work today

Hopefully soon we can get something works for both sides

Please be aware that the nature of gambling is you can win or lose - this payout method is putting the luck back onto the miner - the shares you submit are what you are paid on, if your luck is bad you will lose, if good you will win.

Thanks for the feedback and help, apologies for the delays (at least you didn't have to pre-order - joke) it is taking a bit longer than expected to get sorted, I feel we are getting closer, thanks to miners that have persevered during the trial Smiley

Best wishes
Graet

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3536

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 11:27:51 PM

Im 2.4% under. seems ok to me. most shares are under but the over ones do a pretty good job of evening it out so far.. and it IS a gamble of sorts.

Ill stick it out some more. makes coming home to see the stats fun again Smiley
Graet (OP)
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 02:36:38 AM
Last edit: December 21, 2012, 02:58:24 AM by Graet

had my whip out, Blaksmith has worked up a sweat pounding code on his anvil
new formula running Cheesy

round((1 - $a) / (1 - $a * pow($wd, (1 - $a)) * pow($X, ($a - 1))), 10) * ($wd * $B / $D) * pow(($sd / $wd), $a)

a = 0.8
X = bitcoin_difficulty * 1.5
B =  Currently set to 24.25 (take out 3% fee)
D = bitcoin_difficulty
wd = work from pool
sd = work returned to pool from miner

Lets see how this goes Smiley
Good luck to anyone playing Smiley
Graet

One lucky blocksolver (the only POT block so far) 2012-12-21 01:26:19 share diff 19 work diff  5218578 paid 0.61359400 BTC
congrats Cheesy

| Ozcoin Pooled Mining Pty Ltd https://ozcoin.net Double Geometric Reward System https://lc.ozcoin.net for Litecoin mining DGM| https://crowncloud.net VPS and Dedicated Servers for the BTC community
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1633

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 03:02:24 AM

One lucky blocksolver (the only POT block so far) 2012-12-21 01:26:19 share diff 19 work diff  5218578 paid 0.61359400 BTC
congrats Cheesy
W00t that one share was worth more than 86,000 PPS shares  Wink

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: