Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:16:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [VIDEO] Me melting Silver and casting an ingot  (Read 6604 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 09:04:52 AM

Sorry, had to be in two videos.

http://youtu.be/YKak7tPxd2M
http://youtu.be/9xumuMXUyRQ
sega01

Activity: 391
Merit: 333

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 06:08:37 PM

Hey!

Thanks for the videos. That was actually really neat to see. I now have a lot more appreciation for those home-made silver ingots. From the video, that ingot sure does look impressive. Very, very shiny and smooth. Looks like it takes a long time to do that.

As far as the hole in the ingot, does that happen on the side touching the wood, or on the top side where you pour the water? If it's on the side touching the wood, my guess is that moisture in the wood seeps up and causes the hole to form. Wood has a high moisture content, and that moisture will probbaly boil off as soon as the hot silver touches it. I guess the plastic doesn't do it because it's non-porous and shouldn't trap water. I'm also guessing that the drier the wood gets, the less that will happen, although it gets more moist with the water you have to add to cool it down. And if it gets too dry, I guess it could catch on fire more than it already did.

That being said, I really know nothing about silver casting beyond what I learned in the videos. I liked your creative use of materials. I do hope that you can get a real tumbler, though! Must be a lot of work shaking that by hand. You might be able to rig up a way to spin it off-center on your drill, too.

Anyways, nice job on the video! I learned quite a lot.

Thanks,
Teran
AfricanHunter

Activity: 157
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 11:19:53 PM

That explains a lot. Thanks.

And oh god lol at the comments on both vids. Thanks guys for the laughs.

Also, wrong forum

godholio5 hours ago
Do you have fucking Parkinson's?

Zon Swayvill6 hours ago
GOOD JOB YOU DUMBASS BUTTCOINER LOSER SUBHUMAN SCUM. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

corymcneil4 hours ago
I personally would buy from this guy. Who wouldn't? Step 1 is to almost burn your house down, step 2 is almost cut your fingers off while sanding, step 3 is hammer it flat like some sort of primate. This guy can't even afford proper tools and at this rate his hospital bills will be driving him into debt. BIT COIN LOGIC!

stumpslayer5 hours ago
Michael J. Fox has a more steady hand.

Thinking about doing business with johnniewalkerhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72227?
First read this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131841.0

Also, Join the National Rifle Association to protect 2nd Amendment Rights http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR020022
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 12:03:07 AM

Hey!

Thanks for the videos. That was actually really neat to see. I now have a lot more appreciation for those home-made silver ingots. From the video, that ingot sure does look impressive. Very, very shiny and smooth. Looks like it takes a long time to do that.

As far as the hole in the ingot, does that happen on the side touching the wood, or on the top side where you pour the water? If it's on the side touching the wood, my guess is that moisture in the wood seeps up and causes the hole to form. Wood has a high moisture content, and that moisture will probbaly boil off as soon as the hot silver touches it. I guess the plastic doesn't do it because it's non-porous and shouldn't trap water. I'm also guessing that the drier the wood gets, the less that will happen, although it gets more moist with the water you have to add to cool it down. And if it gets too dry, I guess it could catch on fire more than it already did.

That being said, I really know nothing about silver casting beyond what I learned in the videos. I liked your creative use of materials. I do hope that you can get a real tumbler, though! Must be a lot of work shaking that by hand. You might be able to rig up a way to spin it off-center on your drill, too.

Anyways, nice job on the video! I learned quite a lot.

Thanks,
Teran
Not sure what the poster below is doing on here, but thanks for the comments. It is the wood-side that the hole forms on. I've been wondering why and thats a good explanation. I have a graphite mold but hate it because you have to heat it up to the temperature of silver's melting point (uses a lot of gas). Looking into finding a cast iron one or something.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 12:05:20 AM

That explains a lot. Thanks.

And oh god lol at the comments on both vids. Thanks guys for the laughs.

Also, wrong forum

godholio5 hours ago
Do you have fucking Parkinson's?

Zon Swayvill6 hours ago
GOOD JOB YOU DUMBASS BUTTCOINER LOSER SUBHUMAN SCUM. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

corymcneil4 hours ago
I personally would buy from this guy. Who wouldn't? Step 1 is to almost burn your house down, step 2 is almost cut your fingers off while sanding, step 3 is hammer it flat like some sort of primate. This guy can't even afford proper tools and at this rate his hospital bills will be driving him into debt. BIT COIN LOGIC!

stumpslayer5 hours ago
Michael J. Fox has a more steady hand.
Please stay off my posts. I'm not trying to incite anything further with you.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 05:01:50 AM

You'd be making more BTC by cooking up meth in your bedroom with laundry detergent.
sega01

Activity: 391
Merit: 333

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 05:48:58 AM

You'd be making more BTC by cooking up meth in your bedroom with laundry detergent.

That's probably true. I'm sure most good meth cooks make more than I did as a Linux admin.
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 07:07:33 AM

After hours spent cooking and then distributing the drugs, most drug dealers make less than minimum wage.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 08:24:31 AM

Of course, big Breaking Bad fan. I'll stick to legal activities/trade though. But thanks for the advice lol.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 10:23:08 AM

Of course, big Breaking Bad fan. I'll stick to legal activities/trade though. But thanks for the advice lol.

Grow tomatoes in your basement.
Aahzman

Activity: 602

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 05:13:48 PM

So what's with the borax?

TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 24, 2012, 06:43:12 PM

So what's with the borax?

Roach poison.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Aahzman

Activity: 602

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 11:17:27 PM

lol I'm familiar with its use as a rodent killer, just not familiar with what it does in a smelting process.

TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 25, 2012, 01:41:48 AM

I believe it is a flux to bring down the melting point of metals.

On a side note: just so you know making videos of your activities doesn't prove anything (much like your offer to videotape you mailing me silver). All it proves is you melted an unidentified metal on camera, or dropped an envelope in a mail box. Hardly proof of anything just so you are aware. Additionally are you aware you can lose silver by overheating it? It will literally evaporate. Perhaps that was the issue you may have had with your content dispute?
underminer

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

Not for hire.

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 02:09:03 AM

Interesting video, but I agree with tecshare.  I don't see how this clears up the trainwreck?

Keep your bitcoins my .02 are free.
SaltySpitoon
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154

Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 02:12:57 AM

I don't think it clears anything up really, but it certainly is neat. You have got to give the guy props for putting the videos together. My only discrepancy is "Walmart is a pussy, they only sell propane" (not completely verbatim I don't believe) Hank Hill should kick your ass.

I used to melt down silber using a ghetto modified microwave, but I had to stop because it was spewing radiation  Cry

Your video makes me want to get back into the game, and this time try out gas.
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 07:22:00 AM

You shouldn't look at molten metal without eye protection...you can get cataracts
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 08:23:31 AM

On a side note: just so you know making videos of your activities doesn't prove anything (much like your offer to videotape you mailing me silver). All it proves is you melted an unidentified metal on camera, or dropped an envelope in a mail box. Hardly proof of anything just so you are aware. Additionally are you aware you can lose silver by overheating it? It will literally evaporate. Perhaps that was the issue you may have had with your content dispute?
You all saw what I put on the scale, and while hallmarks are tough to see, there's no real debating anything in that video wasn't sterling. I melted it in front of your eyes, showed it to you (pointed out characterisitcs) so you would know it was the ingot the entire way through. Yes, of course there is the possibility of losing silver. Its not even a possibility-it happens. No silversmith in the world making a 2oz bar would put 2oz in the crucible initially. Trust me, I know how long to heat this and when to pour it. Your idea of the overheating is nothing I never considered.
In terms of the video, this video showed you guys that I made an ingot out of what is 925 sterling silver. Remember I suggested noticing noticeable features. Also, I volunteered with Tecshare to drive to my local drop box where I was going to video myself counting out each coin, taping it down or otherwise packaging it, showing the shipping address and finally putting it in the mailbox-where its out of my hands. If that doesn't prove anything I don't know what does.
Finally-borax does act as a flux. It helps molten metal from sticking to the crucible, too.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 08:27:15 AM

Interesting video, but I agree with tecshare.  I don't see how this clears up the trainwreck?
Trainwreck? If you're referring to any past event I'm tired of speaking on it. I'm just going to video the process for each ingot from now on in-case anyone is skeptical/wants some evidence.
AfricanHunter

Activity: 157
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 25, 2012, 12:38:04 PM

You all saw what I put on the scale, and while hallmarks are tough to see, there's no real debating anything in that video wasn't sterling.

Of course it could be debated. You could have bought fake sterling which was .8 not .925; just like you bought fake Cubans thinking they were real. Or are you saying you are such an expert silversmith that you can tell fake/low sterling from .925?

Also, I volunteered with Tecshare to drive to my local drop box where I was going to video myself counting out each coin, taping it down or otherwise packaging it, showing the shipping address and finally putting it in the mailbox-where its out of my hands. If that doesn't prove anything I don't know what does.

That proves nothing as nobody is saying you sold shady coins (yet). Only that you sold bars @ .99 which assayed from .925 to .88.

Also showing someones shipping address on youtube that you are sending bullion to would be the height of retardation.

Super simple stuff.

When you post ridiculousness like this I can't help but call you out

Thinking about doing business with johnniewalkerhttps://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;u=72227?
First read this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=131841.0

Also, Join the National Rifle Association to protect 2nd Amendment Rights http://membership.nrahq.org/default.asp?campaignid=XR020022
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: