Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 09:56:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Parents need to bring back the belt!  (Read 6129 times)
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 10:57:19 AM

I will never have to, you get your kids around that type of an atmosphere, you are going to desensitize them. I make my kids polite, generous, loving people. They have a healthy fear of anything that would get them into a jail cell, even overnight.

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2012, 10:58:44 AM

Tongue
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2012, 02:16:24 PM

Children need a lot of time from their parents. Yes, parenthood is a big commitment. It's unkind and unproductive not to give children the time and attention that they need.

Going on with this topic, I challenge any current parents who have children to install a lock on their childrens' bedrooms that only the child can lock and give them the only key, take a note of how many times they use it because I bet this will be a fantastic indicator on when to leave them the hell alone too, I bet you some parents will notice that the children would use it constantly especially if they think it's okay to beat them or control their lives constantly.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 02:17:36 PM

My son is 4, he is one of those kids that is like a bull in a china shop. He plows through because he is so big and sometimes forgets about his size compared to other kids his age.

But his punishments are almost always time out (stand in the corner with hands in the air) or talk to him about the consequences until he tears up about hurting other people or breaking stuff or whatever he did. Now if he decides to lie about hitting or doing something bad, that is when he gets spanked.

I make lying about the situation worse than any other punishment since I want to always be sure he is being punished properly so the punishment fits the crime kinda concept. So almost 99% of the time he comes to me and tells on himself now, and if he needs a spanking this kid barely feels it anyway hes so huge so its straight up a mental scare tactic at this point. Same with my older daughters, they simply get very freaked out and embarrassed now if I spank them since they do not really earn spankings anymore.

I think the villanizing of spanking over the years has caused a large portion of the kids disrespect for their elders in this upcoming generation. If I ever talked to my parents the way I see people and kids talk to their parents, only 5-10 years younger than me, my mother would punch me in the face. Here is a tip for everyone. Do not curse at your kids. When I see people in walmart or any store with kids and they tell them, " If you do that again I am going to beat the shit out of you. Sit your ass down!" Don't be surprised when your kids turn to you and say something like, "Damn it momma, I didn't do anything to deserve that shit, stop fucking hitting me!"

What I do is calmly look over at them and say "this is your final warning. If you want to get it when we get home keep it up."......sure enough they get the hint and behave. Sometimes they mess up and because there isn't much cursing or yelling, the pure anticipation of getting disciplined is enough to get my kids to behave.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

dancupid

Activity: 955
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 02:46:55 PM

The problem with corporal punishment is that good parents can use it or not, and their kids will grow up well adjusted and fine.
Place corporal punishment into the hands of bad parents and it just leads to abuse.
I don't think corporal punishment is necessarily a bad thing in the hands of good parents, but they are the very parents who really don't need it.
The children of bad parents need to be protected from their incompetent parents.

This is what bad parenting can lead to - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Victoria_Climbi%C3%A9

She didn't have the chance to say 'I was slapped as a child and it never did me any harm'
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2012, 02:56:35 PM

Don't get me started on the Judge Adam Williams case that happened more recently, I've seen plenty of disturbing stuff on the internet but that was the one video I couldn't watch for longer than five seconds because it was a video of a genuinely helpless disabled child getting beaten up ( Not disciplined as people claim ) by her father and it's situations like this where I can only think that the people who actually support using violence against children are nothing more than psychopaths who thirst for violence and control.
DPony13

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 03:33:03 PM

So teaching kids violence at an early age makes
them more disciplined?

There was always the belt in our country, the
Philippines. i dont see an improvement.

it depends on whether they get it or not.

EndTheFed123, if you had just taken the money it wouldn't have ended like this Sad
BTW this hasn't been the real DPony13 since he "came back", I just hacked this account, SirLolicon is the real DPony13 I think.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2012, 05:01:25 PM

I'm one of the few here who got to meet the Board of Correction--TWICE!

In Woodshop 101, the two favorite items built as a first project were gun racks and paddles, respectively. The bright students drilled holes in their paddles, knowing intuitively there's less resistance during the down stroke, and thus earning a higher grade.

At the time (mid 70's), the principle conducted an annual competition. The best (not sure how that was determined) paddle would be the one used during the upcoming school year. In '78, the year I graduated, the winning entry met the ass of its maker for...wait for it...hitting a girl. Though not part of the conversation, I recall overhearing the student joking about the paddling while holding court with his fellow heathens during lunch hour.

~Bruno K~
myrkul

Activity: 532

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2012, 09:06:41 PM

so, my son's uncle is 3.5 years old.
and every single time they play together, he hits my son on the head with a toy or something...
His parents give him time-outs or wtv. but it doesn't work, he literately will go hit my son again 1 min later
So he smacked my son today, and I smacked him.

You don't mention your son's age, but have you considered teaching him that when someone hits you, it's OK to hit back?

Some of us like to call that "self defense."

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
gyverlb

Activity: 896

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 11:59:42 PM

I'm not fond of the principle of corporal punishment, but I've seen children push their parents past their limits so I can understand it happening on occasions and I even had to use myself one time.

There are parents not knowing how to exert authority: the tone used to speak and the way you look at a child is essential. If you want to express a limit there must be no hesitation, a sharpness in the voice and not the first hint of a smile. We automatically smile to children it's not easy to completely stop this reflex when one of the first thing they learn is how to behave to make you smile. Speaking sharply isn't the way you usually speak with people and many people can't bring themselves to speak that way to a misbehaving child.
Not being able to express limits in a convincing way obviously leads to children ignoring you and the last resort is then corporal punishment. It often isn't effective with a child as the only viable punishment is the one which comes right away not delayed in any way so that unruly behavior is associated with bad consequences.

I'm taller than most, have a deep voice and am used to be in a position to make decisions for others to follow even if they don't like it (and assume the consequences if I'm wrong, part of the job...). So most of the time I've no problem with unruly children: from my behavior they instinctively know that they shouldn't mess with me.

From my experience if you absolutely can't find a way out of using corporal punishment on a child first make sure that the parents are OK with it if you are not one of them and second that you are established as an authority figure. Then I'd advise to make it swift, sharp and the least painful you can. Using a tool isn't a very good idea: the child sees the tool and has the time to focuses on its fear of it instead of the problem at hand. You can inflict more pain than you intend too. Using the flat of your hand so that you get an approximation of the child's pain seems safer. Let the punishment surprise the child but without lasting pain: one quick slap should be enough. Then explain to the child right away that you don't like to do it but that it didn't leave you any other way to stop the misbehaving. Ask if why the punishment was received is understood and tell that everything is OK in that case as you won't have to do it again if the lesson is learned. You should make it clear that there's an easy way to avoid it in the future and that you can be trusted not doing it without reason.

Worked for me with a small nephew that tested my limits, still does test them on occasions (that's part of a normal education) but now knows when to stop and doesn't like me less for one single slap.
That's only my experience with one unruly child, each child is different. I think that if I couldn't find a way to educate one without regularly resorting to corporal punishment I'd find help to better understand why the child doesn't react well to my methods.

In my opinion corporal punishment is completely out of the question if you can't communicate properly with the child so probably not before around 2-3 years old. Using it with teenagers is a recipe for disaster so you better find a better education method before...

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 12:18:34 AM

<sarcasm>
I think we should be allowed to use violences against women and old people as well  Grin
</sarcasm>

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2012, 12:28:50 AM

<sarcasm>
I think we should be allowed to use violences against women and old people as well  Grin
</sarcasm>

You left off an important demographic:

Third Way

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 31, 2012, 12:47:02 AM

<sarcasm>
</sarcasm>

Hurting animals is wrong and immoral you sick bastard!

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2012, 12:56:26 AM

<sarcasm>
</sarcasm>

Is that all animals, or only the "handy-capable" ones?

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2012, 01:19:55 AM

and every single time they play together, he hits my son on the head with a toy or something...
His parents give him time-outs or wtv. but it doesn't work, he literately will go hit my son again 1 min later

You don't mention your son's age, but have you considered teaching him that when someone hits you, it's OK to hit back?

hes 2, he doesn't hit, and we would like for it to stay that way.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2012, 01:24:11 AM

Including in defense, huh? Well, If you raise a doormat, stop complaining when he gets stepped on.

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2012, 01:26:52 AM

Including in defense, huh? Well, If you raise a doormat, stop complaining when he gets stepped on.

oh yes, lets encourage the two kids fight!

Smart!

myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2012, 01:35:20 AM

Smart!

Ever wonder why the other kid hits?

Because he's never met any resistance. FWIW, I stand behind your decision to hit back in place of your kid, but I would wager that even your son standing up to the little bully in training would work a lot better, especially since you're not going to be there to stop him every time.

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2012, 01:43:59 AM

Smart!

Ever wonder why the other kid hits?

Because he's never met any resistance. FWIW, I stand behind your decision to hit back in place of your kid, but I would wager that even your son standing up to the little bully in training would work a lot better, especially since you're not going to be there to stop him every time.

I guess this could work, if the other kid wasn't so much bigger...
But I feel it would just turn into a fight (one my son wouldn't win lol), and what you expect everyone to just watch a 2 and 4 year old fight it out?
not sure about this...

adamstgBit (OP)
Legendary

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2012, 01:56:37 AM

my solution, is to not allow my kid to play with his uncle (it not like they play with each other anyway, they just play with their own toys in the same room). And I'll start going to my moms house on weekend, my sister has kids a 2 and 5 year old, they play gr8 with my son, i don't have to worry when I'm over their, its a little further out... but wtv.

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: