Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 03:11:40 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to make an asic miner from scratch using 16nm Finfet chips from TSMC?  (Read 4534 times)
Mr. Kashif (OP)

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 10:46:19 AM
Last edit: January 25, 2016, 08:20:49 PM by Mr. Kashif

Can anyone here help me out dong this?
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 07:00:36 PM

Well, first you're going to need some design software and someone competent to use it. And then some really good simulation software and a computing cluster to verify your design. And then a couple million dollars to send with it to the chip fab for tapeout and foundry costs.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
jstefanop
Legendary

Activity: 2133
Merit: 1398

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 09:02:30 PM

These posts make me giggle whenever I see them.

Project Apollo: A Pod Miner Designed for the Home https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4974036
FutureBit Moonlander 2 USB Scrypt Stick Miner: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2125643.0
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
January 24, 2016, 09:24:41 PM

You simply cannot make an ASIC miner without any knowledge in the subject..

jokerboy

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 09:25:55 PM

I have a similar topic. Maybe you can find something useful for yourself -> https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1304273.0
Meech

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 09:48:45 PM

You simply cannot make an ASIC miner without any knowledge in the subject..
Why? Most started that way I'm pretty sure.  This was all new to most hobbyists, which probably had little capital to begin with. 
But yes it's a vague statement and post.
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 10:28:00 PM

I will PM you a 30 minutes step by step instructions on how to built a miner from scratch using that chip. You will need some tie-wraps, a phillips screwdriver and an old VCR.
jokerboy

Activity: 266

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 10:37:25 PM

I will PM you a 30 minutes step by step instructions on how to built a miner from scratch using that chip. You will need some tie-wraps, a phillips screwdriver and an old VCR.
Can you send me the same PM?
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 11:02:50 PM

Please forward it to me. I am of stance that the best construction material is duct tape. So maybe i could take your design and substitute tie-warps with duct tape.

But yeah. If you have to ask...

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
braindead

Activity: 452

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 01:59:05 AM

A microwave will do the Job also ..
Mr. Kashif (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 07:24:06 AM

I'm goin to crack a deal with TSMC for their 16nm chips. So I just need some help making this asic cpu.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 2604

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 01:53:44 PM

I'm goin to crack a deal with TSMC for their 16nm chips. So I just need some help making this asic cpu.
What chip from TSMC? Do you have any credentials or at least contacts in the semi business so they will even talk to you?

TSMC does not 'make chips' of their own design. They are a foundry that makes chips for other companies using those companies designs. Now if you have a chip design ready for simulation and perhaps ready for making test masks along with around 1million dollars to get their interest, then you are all set.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
 -Sole remaining active Primary developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Mr. Kashif (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 06:32:34 PM

What chip from TSMC? Do you have any credentials or at least contacts in the semi business so they will even talk to you?

TSMC does not 'make chips' of their own design. They are a foundry that makes chips for other companies using those companies designs. Now if you have a chip design ready for simulation and perhaps ready for making test masks along with around 1million dollars to get their interest, then you are all set.

Ohk! I thought they made processors on their own and I can buy it from them.
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 07:24:58 PM

Register yourself at the Synopsys website. There's a wealth of information available there, and if you actually physically participate in any of their sales events you will be sure to meet the right people who could work with you.

The information below is out of date, I just opened the e-mail from Synopsys too late to be of immediate help:

Quote from: Synopsys Marketing
Upcoming Webinar  

Tackle the Complexities of FinFET Library Characterization with SiliconSmart
 Jan. 13, 2016; 10:00 a.m. PT
 FinFET process technology has introduced new characterization complexities when it comes to delivering signoff-quality cell libraries. Learn about the new, innovative SiliconSmart capabilities that will enable you to work smarter in solving your toughest characterization challenges.

Webinars Available On Demand  

TSMC/Synopsys CustomSim Collaboration for 16nm FinFET Design Success (Mandarin)
Simplified Chinese | Traditional Chinese  
Raising Design and Verification Productivity with SpyGlass Lint Advanced: The Next Generation of Lint  
Configure, Integrate & Prototype IP in Minutes (Mandarin)  
Securing Your IoT Processor-based System
The Impact of IP Reliability, Functional Safety & Quality in Automotive ADAS SoCs
Optimizing Quality-of-Service (QoS) with Interconnect and Memory Subsystem Analysis
 A Holistic Approach to Verification: Synopsys VIP for ARM AMBA Cache Coherent Interconnects  
Using PrimeTime POCV to Improve Productivity and PPA in FinFET Designs—the NVIDIA Experience (Mandarin)
Traditional Chinese | Simplified Chinese  
Enabling Automotive IC Design Reliability  
Building Highly Reliable FPGA Designs for Applications Needing Functional Safety  

Edit: corrected the year error that was in the blurb. They sent me an invitation on 2016-01-11 for the webinar supposedly held at 2015-01-13, but really held in 2016. I'm not that tardy with opening e-mails  Wink

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 07:41:50 PM

Ohk! I thought they made processors on their own and I can buy it from them.
I thought that might be your confusion. Glad to help clear that point.
Your only source for new chips is to contact the foundries customers, eg. InnoSilicon, Bitmain, BitFury, etc. They are the ones to talk to about chip sales.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome!  3NtFuzyWREGoDHWeMczeJzxFZpiLAFJXYr
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Mr. Kashif (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 08:13:25 PM

There's this website called "Esillicon" which claims to give us a virtual interface where we can design our own chips with our own requirements and we can even produce it via well known foundries we have in the world with a tracker of our shipment as well as dedicated help.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 08:51:44 PM

There's this website called "Esillicon" which claims to give us a virtual interface where we can design our own chips with our own requirements and we can even produce it via well known foundries we have in the world with a tracker of our shipment as well as dedicated help.

Let us know what they decide to charge for their services. I think you'll find the NRE (Non Recurring Expenses) to be quite intimidating to actually try and build your own miner, especially without any particular background in the of designing this kind of device.
Mr. Kashif (OP)

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 09:08:13 PM

Well as a computer science engineering student I know a couple of stuff and for the rest I have a team of a Linux expert, my head of the department with a very good knowledge of chip design and circuitry, and me of course.

I'll try to give this thing a shot for serious and see where this takes me.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 09:42:04 PM

Is you interest in designing a 16nm based ASIC miner as a commercial (i.e. for profit) enterprise, or something else? Are you doing this to actually produce and sell miners, or do you expect to "self mine" (i.e. build and run your own miners for purposes of BTC generation)?

Just curious.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

View Profile
January 25, 2016, 09:56:43 PM
Last edit: January 26, 2016, 12:57:50 AM by NotFuzzyWarm

Well as a computer science engineering student I know a couple of stuff and for the rest I have a team of a Linux expert, my head of the department with a very good knowledge of chip design and circuitry, and me of course.

I'll try to give this thing a shot for serious and see where this takes me.
Well sounds like a good start. The chip designer is a person who will be critical as I suspect that design site will be pushing you to use pre-packaged IP function blocks that are just linked together to create the desired chip functions. While that can work using pre-packaged IP also means that you will be making the signal connection paths based on what the IP block gives you - that in turn means non-optimal performance. Prime example of the difference custom routing gives you is Bitmains '1384 vs their '1385 chips. Same circuitry but by using custom routing in the '1385 function blocks themselves Bitmain drastically improved the power/hashing performance.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: