Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 01:47:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: FreiCoin (FRC) Fork WITHOUT 80% Of Coins Given To FreiCoin Foundation  (Read 20720 times)
doublec
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 02:36:21 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but If someone modifies the fork to generate a block without any foundation percentage then the existing forked clients will accept this and the original freicoin clients won't. This would result in a hard fork of the blockchain and isolate the forked clients from the existing network.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2013, 02:40:23 PM

This went better than I expected  Smiley

Thanks TradeFortress for doing it, you are awesome!
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 02:42:51 PM

Thats the power of open source! :-)

I did say you should merge mine. There are other threats out there after all.

more or less retired.
nethead

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 03:15:28 PM
Last edit: January 04, 2013, 04:00:44 PM by nethead

Good job TF, i support too, but we need win & linux bins, so we can use it. Not everybody is an expert Wink

EDIT: another reason that i support this is that original devs bitch about it
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 04:12:22 PM

Do you have any way to tell how much hashing power your fork is getting?

By the way if this succeeds I expect you will ruin FRC for all.

It's getting 0 hash power. I doubt a compiled binary of this exists anywhere. It's not even a fork yet. It just removes one check from the code.

I've compiled it just for fun Smiley

Post?

more or less retired.
maaku
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 04:39:43 PM

I'm 'bitching' because there's a serious concern for user's security. Someone transacting on the hard-fork chain could be tricked into revealing signatures allowing their coins to be stolen on the main chain. If you transact with this client, be aware that there are security issues, and you risk losing your balance.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
galambo

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 04:41:22 PM

another reason that i support this is that original devs bitch about it

Actually, quite the contrary.

If TradeFortress is serious about this and wants to make a fully functional Freicoin fork, without the Foundation, he can come by our IRC channel on Freenode #freicoin.

We will try to help him any way we can.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 04:51:26 PM

I'm 'bitching' because there's a serious concern for user's security. Someone transacting on the hard-fork chain could be tricked into revealing signatures allowing their coins to be stolen on the main chain. If you transact with this client, be aware that there are security issues, and you risk losing your balance.

That is pure nonsense.  Either a) you are clueless about how transaction signing works or b) willing to blatantly lie to see your agenda carried out.

Which is it?
maaku
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 05:02:05 PM

That is pure nonsense.  Either a) you are clueless about how transaction signing works or b) willing to blatantly lie to see your agenda carried out.

Which is it?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128370.0

It was ultimately killed by its creator when one of the bitcoin core devs (either Hearn or gmaxwell, I think) pointed out the double-spend possibility on #bitcoin-dev.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
DPony13

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 05:20:56 PM

What does this
"Foundation"
Do with the 80% tax they receive anyway?

EndTheFed123, if you had just taken the money it wouldn't have ended like this Sad
BTW this hasn't been the real DPony13 since he "came back", I just hacked this account, SirLolicon is the real DPony13 I think.
maaku
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 05:24:23 PM

What does this
"Foundation"

Give all of it away in grants. We're currently forming a review board to select proposals to fund, and coming up with bylaws and selection criteria. You can take part in this process:

http://www.freicoin.org/freicoin-foundation-development-thread-t81.html

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 04, 2013, 05:34:14 PM

Give all of it away in grants. We're currently forming a review board to select proposals to fund, and coming up with bylaws and selection criteria.
I have the following proposal: give away certain small fixed fraction of foundation coins to the same addresses that were used by original miners of the original blocks. This would test the technical skills (programming and system administration) of the miners. The grants that would not get redeemed will signify an abandonware miner.

This grant should automatically cease once the technical skill required to redeem this grant becomes nearly universal.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
jancsika

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 01:13:11 AM

Maybe when bitcoin started it was democratic (before GPU mining, before ASICs), but it certainly isn't anymore.

You're lucky that the person trying to create a hard fork was incompetent this time around.  I suspect you'll continue to get competing demurrage altcoins until your foundation begins the actual process of bootstrapping that is supposed to be separate from (and more effective than) the bootstrapping that comes from mining.

It's worth noting that Satoshi would have preferred the "democratic" non-GPU mining to get a healthier spread of the coins initially-- that is, a functional "Generate Coins" button lasting, say, a year longer than it actually did would have created a more vibrant economy than the smaller number of specialized GPU miners getting the bulk of the initial coins.  But you have the opposite problem-- where he had a concrete, built-in bootstrapping mechanism that worked from day one but ended too early, you have an abstract, out-of-band bootstrapping mechanism that has yet to be implemented, for which none of the who/what/when/where/how questions have been answered.  Even worse for you, Bitcoin has already created plenty of sophisticated mining rigs that can work for nearly any altcoin, so your technical options for bootstrapping (or I guess the options of any potential grant recipient) are severely limited since any bootstrapping design targeting non-technical users cannot be based off proof-of-work.  (Otherwise it'd just get dominated by the "elite" miners and you would have been better off without the foundation.)

Furthermore, you're going to be subject to endless accusations of social engineering, since the Foundation ostensibly has more goals than just getting coins in the hands of the public.  My only advice is to make the actions of the Foundation specific to bootstrapping the currency and only that, as well as limiting it only to projects that subvert its own authority.  The fewer coins you have sitting in its coffers, the quicker all these problems go away.  But of course you have to spend them in a way that obviously creates a more vibrant economy than just giving it to miners (or at least as effective).  You've set up quite a challenge for this coin, and I doubt you or anyone else associated with the coin have the same level of experience and expertise as you do coding up a complex p2p protocol, since I don't see any concrete details about how any of this would work.  I see no easy way out of these problems, and unfortunately the longer you put them off the worse they will get.

Btw-- when I say bootstrapping, I'm talking about getting the coins out to the general public, as opposed to a more insular circle of users who are a priori interested in topics like cryptography, p2p networks, economics, etc.
Impaler

Activity: 826

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 01:53:04 AM

Thank you for some constructive input jancsika, that's exactly what we have been hoping for.

You hit the nail on the head for why bootstrapping is so much harder now then it was in early Bitcoin days, mining is so industrial now the solo miner using a normal computer is immediately pushed out.  Proof of work is just not a viable distribution medium in our opinion, we have said that the distribution of the new money should be as democratic as possible and the ideal would be to simultaneously give everyone on earth an equal quantity, that's just not logistically possible so were going to need to come up with the closest equivalent.

Mandating a time frame to complete the distribution would be a good idea, this is typical in many foundations (Bill and Malinda Gates for example) to prevent the funds from being 'sat on' forever.  I'd say something like 5 to 10 years as a maximum period for the foundation to be distributing all the funds, if they aren't distributed by then then they could all be 'destroyed' aka sent to an inaccessible address, demurrage will gradually recycle them of course.

I think your right that we are to a degree over our heads, that making a foundation is harder then writing code.  But we did it because we felt it was necessary for crypto-currency to grow to a wider community.  But that's why people should be HELPING us form that foundation and setting it on a Legal footing that will show how such a thing can be done, or should we fail at least how not to do it.  Many of the abuses that people are accusing us of planning to do would indeed be terrible, so tell us specifically how the bylaws of the foundation should be written to prevent abuse.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
powersync

Activity: 77

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 04:47:56 AM

So was this a successful fork or just a epic fail?  I have noticed the network hash rate is half of what it was.

PS
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 05:01:14 AM

What does this
"Foundation"

Give all of it away in grants. We're currently forming a review board to select proposals to fund, and coming up with bylaws and selection criteria. You can take part in this process:

http://www.freicoin.org/freicoin-foundation-development-thread-t81.html

Yeah but come on, who is "we"? What determines who is on the review board? Who oversee's the review board? Who oversee's them?

more or less retired.
nethead

Activity: 322

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 08:10:49 AM

Just let me know when the coin crashes tp being worthless  so I can buy free games with all the free coins I get

lol
lophie

Activity: 924

Unlimited Free Crypto

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 09:04:18 AM

Just let me know when the coin crashes to being worthless  so I can buy free games with all the free coins I get

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=134273.20

Will take me a while to climb up again, But where is a will, there is a way...
jancsika

Activity: 80

View Profile
January 05, 2013, 08:38:27 PM

Thank you for some constructive input jancsika, that's exactly what we have been hoping for.

You hit the nail on the head for why bootstrapping is so much harder now then it was in early Bitcoin days, mining is so industrial now the solo miner using a normal computer is immediately pushed out.  Proof of work is just not a viable distribution medium in our opinion, we have said that the distribution of the new money should be as democratic as possible and the ideal would be to simultaneously give everyone on earth an equal quantity, that's just not logistically possible so were going to need to come up with the closest equivalent.

Mandating a time frame to complete the distribution would be a good idea, this is typical in many foundations (Bill and Malinda Gates for example) to prevent the funds from being 'sat on' forever.  I'd say something like 5 to 10 years as a maximum period for the foundation to be distributing all the funds, if they aren't distributed by then then they could all be 'destroyed' aka sent to an inaccessible address, demurrage will gradually recycle them of course.

I think your right that we are to a degree over our heads, that making a foundation is harder then writing code.  But we did it because we felt it was necessary for crypto-currency to grow to a wider community.  But that's why people should be HELPING us form that foundation and setting it on a Legal footing that will show how such a thing can be done, or should we fail at least how not to do it.  Many of the abuses that people are accusing us of planning to do would indeed be terrible, so tell us specifically how the bylaws of the foundation should be written to prevent abuse.

There's simply no way to do that, and regardless you really don't want people to have to invest long-term trust to the body tasked with distributing the coins when the whole point of the network and community that uses it is to do an end-run around trust.  It doesn't matter how careful you are about devising bylaws and choosing people with seemingly bulletproof reputations to head up the foundation, because for as long as the foundation is in control of the bulk of those coins they will be a) a centralized point of authority and power and b) a centralized point of failure.  Regarding a: you are up against a community that exists solely to invent technical ways to eat away at centralized power.  Regarding b: reread the previous sentence.

The _only_ way to develop trust in the body tasked with distributing the coins is for the body to distribute the coins, ASAP, in a way that gives as widespread access as possible to the coins while at the same time eating away at its own authority to distribute coins.  There are three parts of this process that must be addressed.  In increasing order of difficulty:

1) The Foundation must prove that the coins are leaving its specific coffers, triggered by requests made through some publicly accessible front end.
2) The Foundation must give evidence that the coins end up in wallets which they don't control.
3) The Foundation must give evidence that coins get sent based on the criteria available to the public on the front end, and not by some mechanism on the back end to which the public does not have access.

1 is trivial. 2 is doable but requires work.  3 is extremely difficult and is what the "Generate Coins" button tried to solve.

Example: David Chaum looks at the website and says, "Neat, I'd like some coins."  He digitally signs a request for coins and posts it on his homepage.  The Foundation sends him some Freicoin.  That satisfies 1 and 2 but not 3.

If you ask me, I think you're being extremely uncreative given the power that multi-sig transactions provide, and I suppose this is partly because there is no simple interface for it yet.

Example:  Throw together some novel mechanism for distribution.  Make a "tentative" release where only 1 party of a required n parties does all the sending of coins.  Block out x amount of time afterward for requests for comments.  If the process didn't work, start over.

For kicks, do it with the entire amount the Foundation controls.  That will get you way more attention than any amount of marketing, and if it works you just created a wider potential userbase than any altcoin has ever had.

Companies doing captcha technology to fight Sybil attacks should be fairly sophisticated nowadays, so put one of them to the test.  If they can get you one million unique recipients you'll give their company half the coins.

These are just off the top of my head, but the point is you have a _lot_ of options here to try something that's never been done before.  IMO forming a slow-moving, centralized bureaucracy isn't the best route, but worse, I doubt your altcoin siblings will walk past that big, centralized pile of cheese much longer before someone decides to "fix the glitch".
DiCE1904
Legendary

Activity: 1118
Merit: 1002

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2013, 10:25:16 PM

Good job TF, i support too, but we need win & linux bins, so we can use it. Not everybody is an expert Wink

this^ where is it?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: