Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 05:59:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Havelock Investments - Exchange feedback/comments  (Read 248023 times)
tinus42

Activity: 784
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:25:01 PM

This is annoying. Not planning to sell right now but financial sites like these should not have long downtimes. Angry
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:26:25 PM

This is annoying. Not planning to sell right now but financial sites like these should not have long downtimes. Angry

Stupid DDOSes probally all of us refreshing to modify orders  Grin
That said guess it saves people from panic selling or even panic buying with a CD

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
talz0r

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:35:57 PM

Does anyone have any idea why Havelock is down?  It has been atleast 8 hours of downtime now.  Havelock doesn't seem to have a twitter account or anything.
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:37:54 PM

Does anyone have any idea why Havelock is down?  It has been atleast 8 hours of downtime now.  Havelock doesn't seem to have a twitter account or anything.
https://twitter.com/canadianbitcoin/status/352465739732619264
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137235.msg2646448#msg2646448

talz0r

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 08:47:36 PM

ohhh

ty!
lightbox (OP)

Activity: 212
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2013, 11:03:40 PM

We are currently experiencing a massive DDOS and working with our provider to mitigate.
Follow @canadianbitcoins for updates via twitter. This was posted to twitter within minutes of the problem beginning. Sorry we dont monitor every bitcointalk thread when in the middle of trying to fix the problem.

No ETA as of yet.

https://www.canadianbitcoins.com for quick & easy buy/sell with $CAD
Canada's Oldest Bitcoin Brokerage.  Serving Canadian Bitcoiners since 2011!
Diamondstarfall

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:07:58 PM

I wonder what is the goal of this DDoS today. Was it due the sudden drop in ASICMINER shares price and the DDoS allows the high bids to be locked still so it cannot be cancelled until the attacker decides to end it?
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 11:11:26 PM

We are currently experiencing a massive DDOS and working with our provider to mitigate.
Follow @canadianbitcoins for updates via twitter. This was posted to twitter within minutes of the problem beginning. Sorry we dont monitor every bitcointalk thread when in the middle of trying to fix the problem.

No ETA as of yet.

Thanks for the update and best of luck was a couple of hours there so people were beginning to wonder now back at fixing it  Cheesy
Hope you had a great Canada Day as a back-note
Freedom ^^

itsunderstood

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

American1973

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 12:24:31 AM

I wonder what is the goal of this DDoS today. Was it due the sudden drop in ASICMINER shares price and the DDoS allows the high bids to be locked still so it cannot be cancelled until the attacker decides to end it?

Hmm well like Mt Gox, there can be "cool off periods" but yeah, your idea seems viable in the same way one could aim a firehose at the register of a mcdonalds, and shuttle the mcnuggets out the back during the fray.

What I would like, would be detailed IT based info on whom attacks these exchanges.  We need to punish and hurt some of the right forces, that seek to prevent bitcoin from become a store of wealth.  Seeing as it's a 25 year timeline for bitcoin, we have years like odessa, to track down those would steal of f-with our coin investments.

In Pirate terms,

"Arr, if'n ye be firin' upon vessel that carry coin belonging to me or mine, rest assured you'll sleep in the deepest brine."

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 01:47:37 AM

Hmm well like Mt Gox, there can be "cool off periods" but yeah, your idea seems viable in the same way one could aim a firehose at the register of a mcdonalds, and shuttle the mcnuggets out the back during the fray.

What I would like, would be detailed IT based info on whom attacks these exchanges.  We need to punish and hurt some of the right forces, that seek to prevent bitcoin from become a store of wealth.  Seeing as it's a 25 year timeline for bitcoin, we have years like odessa, to track down those would steal of f-with our coin investments.

In Pirate terms,

"Arr, if'n ye be firin' upon vessel that carry coin belonging to me or mine, rest assured you'll sleep in the deepest brine."
lol ya totaly

edn247

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:07:10 AM

I am having withdrawal symptoms...  must get my havelock fix.....

but more seriously, could the attack be related to or in response to the recent implementation of automated bot trading?  I know I was getting very frustrated with how stupid the bot was being...  my solution was to manipulate the bot into buying my shares at a higher price than it otherwise would have paid...  which took some money and risk, but I can see how someone with different resources and mindset would instead attack with DDOS even if it didn't necessarily bring them any profit.

thoughts?
freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 05:19:47 AM

I am having withdrawal symptoms...  must get my havelock fix.....

but more seriously, could the attack be related to or in response to the recent implementation of automated bot trading?  I know I was getting very frustrated with how stupid the bot was being...  my solution was to manipulate the bot into buying my shares at a higher price than it otherwise would have paid...  which took some money and risk, but I can see how someone with different resources and mindset would instead attack with DDOS even if it didn't necessarily bring them any profit.

thoughts?

Dunno about what the bots are doing that but it was a dumb bot Smiley
Enjoyed running it up to break walls to match the market when I couldn't do it alone hehe

Was up there for about 2-3 mins then back down lol

lightbox (OP)

Activity: 212

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 06:19:30 AM

We're back up now, minus the websocket (I believe thats what leaked the IP of the backend servers) we'll be looking for alternative solutions for the websocket once I get some sleep.

https://www.canadianbitcoins.com for quick & easy buy/sell with $CAD
Canada's Oldest Bitcoin Brokerage.  Serving Canadian Bitcoiners since 2011!
edn247

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:31:56 AM

Excellent!  Must re-invest dividends...

BTW, for when you have time, it would be super handy if one could set a DRIP option.
itsunderstood

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

American1973

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:39:27 PM

By promoting ISPs, that are transparent, exchanges will be helping this BTC community.

ISPs that have chosen to become protective legalized buckets of stupidity, seem to be the main body of ISPs out there.  I can remember the days of copper POTS lines and Win NT, when life was better.

Please give us more info about your ISP, because in the end, that is one of the main reasons to bother investing coin.  No, I do not trust the IT guys when they say "just wait" because that's a new IT mentality, that sucks, and which has been propagated by the current management of IT in America, who are unworthy of their jobs and paychecks.

ISP freedom, is 100% part of bitcoin's chances of survival.  This means that when your exchange gets f-ed up, you need to share all data second by second, so that the greater number of minds, can be applied to what is a public issue.  That's how trust gets built and held over time.

Give us more info about the DDOS.  Tell your ISP to do so or give us their phone number so that we who understand IT, can call them and help them.

Check out my prescient ATS thread from 2008: "Windows XP: End the Cyberwar, Open the Code Now!" http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread411978/pg1
tinus42

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:15:56 PM

We're back up now, minus the websocket (I believe thats what leaked the IP of the backend servers) we'll be looking for alternative solutions for the websocket once I get some sleep.

You're back down again!  Undecided
talz0r

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:05:34 PM

Yeah went down about 12:20 eastern canada time.. any word on what the problem is this time?
tinus42

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 09:10:23 PM

You guys are seriously undermining trust in your service, even if it's not your fault that you are DDOSed. There are measures that can be taken against this. Embarrassed
talz0r

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 09:11:47 PM

Lets not jump to conclusions.
talz0r

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 09:12:42 PM

No update on twitter though.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 »
  Print  

Jump to: