Bitcoin Forum
June 11, 2024, 06:49:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How about Vanilla coin  (Read 10160 times)
bearex (OP)

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 05:26:16 PM

Hey, how are you famillar with Vanilla coin? It offers zero time transactions (isnt that what we all want from digital currencies?

Check it out here: http://www.vanillacoin.net/

Also, if you have any experience with it or anything else, post your thoughts below.
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1051

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 05:30:44 PM

From a miner's perspective I hate their wallet. Sure, it's lightweight but it offers zero customization. Everything is needlessly small, you can't even resize the window and you can't even solomine to it.

Not your keys, not your coins!
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 05:42:21 PM

Vanilla uses code stolen from Bitcoin, and the scam dev refused to do the right thing when gmaxwell, etc asked him to fix the lack of proper attribution, as required per the software license.

As for "instant" transactions, that lasted about a day on Poloniex.  Then they discovered it was probably a way for the Vanilla dev to force-feed them fake VNL in order to clean the exchange out of legitimate coins.

Is it true that Vanillacoin uses the BTC code?
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1151160.0

GMAXWELL:
[VNL] Vanillacoin, a quiet word of warning.
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=920344.0

Smooth VS VNL
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1184904.0

Thanks for that.

Adding “#L34” to the vnl URI nails it for me:

Code:
int EC_KEY_regenerate_key(EC_KEY * eckey, BIGNUM * priv_key)
{
    int ok = 0;

BN_CTX * ctx = 0;
    EC_POINT * pub_key = 0;

if (eckey == 0)
    {
        return 0;
    }

const EC_GROUP * group = EC_KEY_get0_group(eckey);

if ((ctx = BN_CTX_new()) == 0)
    {
        goto err;
    }

pub_key = EC_POINT_new(group);

if (pub_key == 0)
    {
        goto err;
    }

Code:
int EC_KEY_regenerate_key(EC_KEY *eckey, BIGNUM *priv_key)
{
    int ok = 0;
    BN_CTX *ctx = NULL;
    EC_POINT *pub_key = NULL;

if (!eckey) return 0;

const EC_GROUP *group = EC_KEY_get0_group(eckey);

if ((ctx = BN_CTX_new()) == NULL)
        goto err;

pub_key = EC_POINT_new(group);

if (pub_key == NULL)
        goto err;

That's a lot more than just a structural similarity.

It’s hard for me to see this as anything other than incontrovertible evidence of the author having a naively self-centred perspective on intellectual property rights, broadly translatable as “what’s yours is mine and what’s mine’s my own”.

More tellingly, it's also hard to reconcile this evident difficulty in critical thinking with any kind of work in the area of cryptography, notorious for its relentlessly stern demands of cognitive sophistication in its proponents.

Stand back a few yards and the picture becomes somewhat clearer. I've not even bothered looking at vnl, being confident that it’s just another variant of the “misunderstood but brilliant maverick outsider, wronged by a complacent community” media narrative and all the posturing is entirely consistent, even the expedient arrogation of others’ work. Given the evidence in the codebase, I'm reassured that my confidence is not misplaced, although I do have to admit that his choice of pseudonym is a bit of a give-away in and of itself.

Cheers

Graham

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
Gillette

Activity: 744
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 06:16:58 PM

Hey, how are you famillar with Vanilla coin? It offers zero time transactions (isnt that what we all want from digital currencies?

Also, if you have any experience with it or anything else, post your thoughts below.

If XMR famous fudsters especially smooth aka icebreaker criticize a coin, this means it`s a very good coin. Make a research how xmr fudded Vanilla some months ago, so this is a good reason to be sure VNL is a very innovative coin.

Generally XMR assholes are very hostile against every innovative coin.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 12, 2016, 09:46:54 PM

If XMR famous fudsters especially smooth aka icebreaker criticize a coin, this means it`s a very good coin. Make a research how xmr fudded Vanilla some months ago, so this is a good reason to be sure VNL is a very innovative coin.

Generally XMR assholes are very hostile against every innovative coin.

The problem with using anti-Monero ad hom to deflect criticism of VNL:

Greeting, this evening john-connor showed up on the Bitcoin Core github with some rather aggressively ignorant minunderstandings of basic cryptographic consensus concepts: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/5634#issuecomment-69481908

Having no clue who he was I looked at his github account and googled a bit and found that he is the, seemingly pseudonymous, author of "Vanillacoin".

Vanillacoin was previously discussed on this forum, https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=890388.0 but he locked the threads in order to shuffle the users (victims?) off to someplace out of the light of day-- never a good sign, (nor is his BCT newbie account, for that matter).  The "vanillacoin" software has no source code available, it is binaries only (very much not a good sign, and usually severe malware concern; and an ultimate form of centralization), there are source links but they go to a basically empty github repository. There is a whitepaper, which like the comments on github show some general software development background they show no real sign of sophisticated understanding around decenteralized systems for adversarial networks or cryptocurrencies.

I don't know anything more about it, but I figure sunlight tends to be a good disinfectant; and with the threads locked it probably wasn't fair of me to say nothing while I was privately thinking "hm, that all smells pretty fishy".  Of course, the guy was a bit rude to me and also wasted my time-- so feel free to factor that bias in however you like. I'm just reporting my impression as a regular community member. You now know what I know.

[I'm the last person to play altcoin-cops... I mostly avoid this stuff except for the rare cases that are technically interesting: The drama can sink unbounded time and usually, when it comes to the more misguided altcoin cryptography, the only sane policy seems to be "If you see something,say nothing and drink to forget": there is too much crazyness and risk of being attacked for being critical of someones latest scheme. But if it shows up in my face, I can't quite stomach saying nothing at all.]

Cheers,

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
ol92

Activity: 445
Merit: 255

View Profile
February 12, 2016, 10:08:01 PM

As for "instant" transactions, that lasted about a day on Poloniex.  Then they discovered it was probably a way for the Vanilla dev to force-feed them fake VNL in order to clean the exchange out of legitimate coins.

Are you sure about this ? what is your source ?
Thanks
jimlite
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 01:39:04 AM

The one confirmation has always been there for BTC and VNL. That is because Poloniex did a thorough code review as well as trusts the developer. It has been one confirmation for months. There was a problem on Polo's end for a few days where they went back to 7 confirmations and then once fixed it was back to one.  Icebreaker and Smooth constantly try and FUD VNL, this is nothing new. Price starts rising today and all of a sudden Icebreaker is back with year old FUD again. I really wonder if this guy is investing heavily in VNL.  VNL has a team of professional coders, lawyers, etc. it is not some clone coin and it certainly isn't doing anything illegal with code.  Icebreaker seems to have a problem with software that has 500,000 lines of code an 5 of them are the same as other crypto's to keep things compatible and not re-invent the wheel. VNL was written from scratch and more resembles Peercoin than Bitcoin, and dev said he would acknowledge either coin's dev if they asked him to. So far I don't see Satoshi Nakamoto or Sunny King asking John-Connor for that, but he would ablige.  VNL is a real business that is going to change crypto in speed, security, anonymous, and scaling.  Icebreaker congrats on your FUD to get cheap coins if it is working, but seriously it is getting old.

Binance, hottest/largest alt exchange, 2BTC daily no verification. https://www.binance.com/?ref=13309371
NEED TO RENT A RIG? All algos at http://www.miningrigrentals.com/register?ref=627

✵ Super FAST block times      ✵ Block Explorer right in the wallet!     ✵ Stealth Addresses     ✵ PoW/PoS hybrid  
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Ancient Money
for a New World
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Join the conversation!
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

TWITTER

r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 02:02:56 AM

The part about not assigning attribution properly is honestly overblown since it's an anonymous dev and he's releasing free software, so who really gives a shit.  Whether the software works or not is all I really care about.  Having said that, he told me he was doing some insane number of TPS with no backlog using his insta send method, but nowadays he's saying it does create a backlog and is talking about raising block size to 30MB as I pretty much thought would be required to do these large numbers.

I'm not really sure how to value Vanillacoin at the moment.  If the insta send method doesn't have any security holes (if), then that would provide some increased utility, but transactions still need to be included in a block.  So I guess you get faster speeds only while the network is low traffic and if applied to Bitcoin, wouldn't give any gains if blocks are perma full since you would want to wait until the transaction is actually inside a block?

It seems like you would need to convert to a ledger system for this to be useful at scale and bypass the slowest component, blockchain part, but ledger systems already have insane speeds anyway.  Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about the usefulness of this here feature.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 03:39:19 AM

As for the whole code issue, John-connor has an acknowledgment on the VNL website towards peer coin and wrote that he used peer coin as a reference while writing VNL.
I don't really care whether he inadvertently used some btc/ssl/goldcoin/ whatever came before that code to pull off the mundane crypto currency things.
If you don't like it, take it up with a legal body that cares....  wait there is none.

The rest of what icebreaker wrote is garbage.  VNL ZEROTIME transfers work very well, we are months in now and there is no evidence that a double spend has happened.   Where the fuck do you get off  making up shot about fake coins?  Show evidence in the block chain. .. wait you can't because you are full of shit.
His quote from gmaxwell was from VNL's first month after launch and is total and complete bullshit  FUD.  VNL code is open source check it out yourself.
also wasn't it Gmaxwell who was just caught with his pants down because he is selling a lightning network that he has no idea how to finish.

Well John-connor who supposedly has no clue about cryptography has already created one.  Not only that but he has implemented a pruning ledger, so there are no bloat issues.

PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING!!

and before you start your hypocritical shill rant, everyone knows your a core/monero shill so please sit down.

If your not actively using the technology behind your crypto investment,

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 03:53:09 AM

The rest of what icebreaker wrote is garbage.  VNL ZEROTIME transfers work very well

monsterer, Fuserleer, and I analyzed the Zerotime whitepaper in thread some months ago and pointed out it is flawed.

This is another scam coin. And the new anonymity feature is also flawed.

Any speculator who buys this is contributing to the cesspool of scams in altcoins and is poisoning the well from which we all drink.

bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:00:56 AM

The rest of what icebreaker wrote is garbage.  VNL ZEROTIME transfers work very well

monsterer, Fuserleer, and I analyzed the Zerotime whitepaper in thread some months ago and pointed out it is flawed.
As far as I can tell Zerotime is about 1000xs more secure than zero confirmation bitcoin transfer.  And when it comes to real world use that is what matters.
This is another scam coin. And the new anonymity feature is also flawed.

Any speculator who buys this is contributing to the cesspool of scams in altcoins and is poisoning the well from which we all drink.

.. must have got lost in the mail, please point out how it is flawed and even better road map out a point of attack.
Don't be so ambiguous.  All crypto is flawed when it comes to perfection whether in transfer time or anonymity.   We all know it is, but can you show me how it can be done.

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
americanpegasus

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:01:35 AM
Last edit: February 13, 2016, 05:36:53 AM by americanpegasus

The cryptocurrency equivalent of a Gender Studies Degree.

Account is back under control of the real AmericanPegasus.
bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:06:18 AM

When it comes to real world use Zerotime seems 1000xs  safer than a zero confirm btc transfer.  That is what matters, not whether it is 100% foolproof.

Now we just need generalize this to complete the circlejerk.

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:08:45 AM

When it comes to real world use Zerotime seems 1000xs  safer than a zero confirm btc transfer.  That is what matters, not whether it is 100% foolproof.

When exchanges lose their money then it won't acceptable that it can be Sybil attacked. The incentive has to be great enough for the attack to worthwhile.

bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:15:29 AM

The sybil attack must happen within 3 milliseconds before a lock is put in place.  Even then only one of the transactions can be voted as true, and the person who has been ripped off will know it has happened.  I think there may actually be a mechanism in VNL that cancels out both transactions in that case, but I would need to reread up on it to make sure.  Also incentives ed full nodes protect against this further.

That being said all sidechain transactions are open to a sybil attack, but unless vnl becomes the next bitcoin, it just is not worth trying because it would be noticed to quickly.  Also even if it does become the next bitcoin it would only be on exchanges where this would be a problem, and since none of us care whether we need to wait a few minutes for a confirmation when it comes to buying and selling in an exchange your blatant FUD is proven misdirection.

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:28:17 AM

When VNL releases a detailed specification in a complete white paper, then we can cover all the ways it breaks. There is no way we are going to play cat & mouse game with John Conner where he refuses to provide all the details. It is all nonsense and timing and propagation is never proof in the Byzantine Generals Problem because distributed systems don't have synchrony. The best property he could possibly attain would be Stellar SCP's property that it is always safe but can be permanently preempted (delayed) by Sybil attack forever. Don't argue with a PhD professor from Stanford.

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:31:59 AM

The part about not assigning attribution properly is honestly overblown since it's an anonymous dev and he's releasing free software, so who really gives a shit.  Whether the software works or not is all I really care about.

It matters exactly to that, because first of all it is used to hype ("All new code!") and based on that observation you should seriously doubt whether the product is being sold on the basis of code that works or hype. In this case clearly the latter.

Second of all it tells you a lot about the credibility and integrity of the developer. Unless you are going to undertake a comprehensive top-to-bottom review of the design and code which done right could cost millions of dollars, you are unavoidably relying on his claims about what the code is supposed to do and what it actually does. In theory the code speaks for it self but in practice when there is zero chance of a competent and complete review ever being done, the credibility of the developer matters a lot.

As TPTB just said, at this point he hasn't even released a complete white paper for any of the features. So it can't be reviewed that way even if we were willing to take his word that the code does what the whitepaper says. It's all bunch of skin-deep hype for a pump.
bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:38:26 AM

It's all bunch of skin-deep hype for a pump.

Still quoting things from 12 months ago.

I've been watching VNL for 4 months now, and although I've seen investors hype it( myself included)  I have never seen John-connor hype his own releases.  Everytime he ninja launches them, followed by an evening of questions and answers in IRC.

And don't go pointing hype fingers, some of us were around when Risto was on bitcointalk claiming XMR would be around parity by now.  Everyone in here that has slandered John is a hype pump king.

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:40:57 AM

You didn't address our point. Which is that he refuses to provide detailed specifications. Please STFU until complete and detailed specifications have been released.

bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 04:44:01 AM

Same to you...  I know you want assume that VNL doesn't do what it says, so don't buy any then.   It does what I need it to.

I'm sure John will roll out the full details before full beta testing is done.

And that wasn't your original point.  Your original point was to say that you proved it was flawed and a scam...   I am just answerring your FUD.

Keep your comments clear and don't just throw out shit like sybil attack followed by scam accusations.  
Or would you rather I just let your blatant FUD SPAM go unacknowledged.

Edit.  BTW sorry I missed your last post before smooth.  And no I don't have an answer to that, neither does core or anyone that I know of for that matter.  

Thank you for returning to intelligent conversation.

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: