Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 03:57:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How about Vanilla coin  (Read 10160 times)
bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 06:52:35 PM

Didn't we already discuss this? All lightning networks have a chance at a sybil attack.
In a trust less environment where the interaction is a fiat to coin transaction, ie; in an exchange, all instant transactions should only be used with the understanding of the risk involved.

I'm a Zerotime advocate, but even I agree that unless John proves that he has miraculously solved this problem Zerotime should not be used in a trust less interaction.

What Zerotime does do, is to add to the use ability of vanillacoin in human interaction.

The market also agrees with me on this, if John proves he has solved the sybil attack vector, VNL would be worth much much more than it is right now.

If your not actively using the technology behind your crypto investment,

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
jimlite
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1018

View Profile WWW
February 13, 2016, 06:55:48 PM

how would blake be more secure than whirlpool ? mining has nothing to do with the security of this coin its just a way of distribution.

You guys think you are capable of judging John's capabilities but you don't even comprehend very basic Bitcoin 101 issues.

If the mining hash function is sufficiently broken, the cracker can rewrite the entire block chain with a greater difficulty (i.e. he can produce great difficulty with very little computing hardware). If the crack is public knowledge, then the longest rule means nothing and chaos results.

Chaining hashes doesn't always fix the risk, e.g. if one of the hashes in the chain has a very high level of collisions.

Well, I'm 45 and feeling sorry for you cause yes I'm that kind of guy.
... But than you, again, started posting shit which points to your terminal brain illness.
Still feeling sorry for you.
I hope it's not contagious.

45/healthy and 51/chronically ill is indescribably different. 6 years ago I was still chasing girls and partying. Now I struggle with daily life. But don't feel sorry for me, I did it to myself with the life choices I made. And I am doing reasonably well with it since I discovered high dose curcumin extract. I think my problem is dysfunction in the pancreas, gall bladder, or colon (possibly cancer or auto immune disease thereabouts). Any way, I am getting some improvement, but it has taught me that life is for the moment. I don't think about living to 80. What ever I get, I will enjoy.

Main thing is I've stopped thinking like I was still young and my life is ahead of me. I started to think about decline and just making the most of remaining life. I think even without illness, this is a change in mental outlook that man goes through in his 50s. Perhaps it would be different if I was totally healthy and could still compete in athletics the way I love to. For example, last month I think I tore or strained the rotator cuff in my shoulder. Maybe just an occassional nuisance and maybe next time I need to remember i just can't go from doing nothing to shooting the basketball vigorously. Sometimes it feels like everything I try to do physically is a failure since I got ill. As I said, maybe my attitude will be different if athleticism returns consistently. Even when I jog my legs are often weak. But I will say I had a strong run the prior day and I was just happy with that. I live what ever I get.
I am 50 and have some of my own physical and mental challenges.  After about 40, things just start falling apart. Knee and back pain, insomnia, anxiety, high cholesterol, etc. etc.  The only thing I find that helps (other than doctors and the right pills) is you must take 5-10 minutes a day to stretch as your body becomes very rigid. Also do NOT try to do sports or activities like when you were 30. When I go to the gym I lift half the weight I did 20 years ago. If I try to push it, instead of just being sore for a few days, I get sore/injured and it is severe and lasts months to years. It is not worth it. As you age you just need to try and stay a little flexible and a little stronger with easy weight lifting. I do NO sports at all. If you really wanted to do a sport, swimming is probably the only safe one.  Also us coders and computer geeks spend 18 hours/day sitting, which isn't good at all. Get up, walk around every hour, put your feet up on the desk, change positions, do anything other than sit like a statue all day and night.  Best of luck.

Binance, hottest/largest alt exchange, 2BTC daily no verification. https://www.binance.com/?ref=13309371
NEED TO RENT A RIG? All algos at http://www.miningrigrentals.com/register?ref=627

✵ Super FAST block times      ✵ Block Explorer right in the wallet!     ✵ Stealth Addresses     ✵ PoW/PoS hybrid  
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Ancient Money
for a New World
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
Join the conversation!
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

TWITTER

TPTB_need_war

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 06:58:33 PM
Last edit: February 13, 2016, 07:14:53 PM by TPTB_need_war

Didn't we already discuss this?

I don't remember any capitulation from VNL's side before. I did not participate in the ongoing discussion after I showed the Sybil attack vulnerability.

Perhaps it was the way some other VNL guys were shrilling it as the perfect instant transactions that caused me to judge more harshly the honesty of the project. I put that together with plagiarized code and then the recent anonymity claims with no complete specification.

All lightning networks have a chance at a sybil attack.

Not afaics in my design (subject to future peer review).

Afair, the reason for the potential Sybil attack in Zerotime is because every node participates in voting for the lock. These nodes can be Sybil attacked, because propagation isn't proof and there is no synchrony in distributed networks.

In a trust less environment where the interaction is a fiat to coin transaction, ie; in an exchange, all instant transactions should only be used with the understanding of the risk involved.

I'm a Zerotime advocate, but even I agree that unless John proves that he has miraculously solved this problem Zerotime should not be used in a trust less interaction.

What Zerotime does do, is to add to the use ability of vanillacoin in human interaction.

Okay but I want instant microtransactions in a trustless scenario. And I want a million tx/sec *potential* scaling. I need this for the application of the crypto currency that I am envisioning.

bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

View Profile
February 13, 2016, 11:26:38 PM

So whether or not a sybil attack is possible VNL'S Zerotime transaction still allows 10's of thousands of transactions per second while still being safer than every third party transfer system in the world....  just don't use the instant transfer for money exchange...  or at least wait the couple minutes for 1 confirm before handing money over for vnl to some unknown entity.

Still better than anything released to date.

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
TPTB_need_war

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 12:03:04 AM

So whether or not a sybil attack is possible VNL'S Zerotime transaction still allows 10's of thousands of transactions per second while still being safer than every third party transfer system in the world....  just don't use the instant transfer for money exchange...  or at least wait the couple minutes for 1 confirm before handing money over for vnl to some unknown entity.

I see you asked John and that was his PR reply.

There is possibly a scaling issue but I would have to look again at the limited spec white paper. Afair, the transaction needs to propagate to many nodes and they have to vote on locking it. This means the scaling to high transaction volumes is going to be quite limited, especially as the network of full nodes increases in number?

bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 12:15:51 AM
Last edit: February 14, 2016, 12:37:48 AM by bitcoin carpenter

So whether or not a sybil attack is possible VNL'S Zerotime transaction still allows 10's of thousands of transactions per second while still being safer than every third party transfer system in the world....  just don't use the instant transfer for money exchange...  or at least wait the couple minutes for 1 confirm before handing money over for vnl to some unknown entity.

I see you asked John and that was his PR reply.

There is possibly a scaling issue but I would have to look again at the limited spec white paper. Afair, the transaction needs to propagate to many nodes and they have to vote on locking it. This means the scaling to high transaction volumes is going to be quite limited, especially as the network of full nodes increases in number?

Don't be so tin hat.  I make my own opinions,and even if it's only thousands and not tens of thousands of tps,  it still out scales the current market demands by a 100x's  what is necessary.
Don't obfuscate the obviousness of this reality.

Hehe.

BTW the number of nodes needed to perform a lock is in the whitepaper, though the speed and quantity of total voted rounds that can be done by each full nodes is dependent on the resources surrounding the node in question.
How many transactions can be fulfilled by 300 nodes/second when X node votes are needed for them to lock the transaction as true.
I'm sure you can do the math on this.

Not much more difficult than finding out your typing speed of words/minute then multiplying by the average words per thread your In. Than figuring out how much time you spend coding compared to typing/day...

Sorry couldn't resist.

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 12:54:27 AM

Oh and another reason to choose vnl.
The 600%/year increase in value.  It moves up at a snails pace in comparison to pump and dumps, but due to the constant adaptation it still outperforms other investments over the long term.

And there I go with the hype again. 
Or is that FUD in crypto, I am unsure.  5k use will only make you 25k by 2017 if vnl keeps at this pace.

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
I am the guy

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 14, 2016, 03:04:34 AM

In case anyone is curious to why the coin is called Vanillacoin.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla_software 

bitcoin carpenter
Legendary

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 05:05:39 AM

Don't know if it was mentioned yet, but android/ios wallets and chain blender are also being tested right now.

IT IS A SCAM!!!!
traumschiff
Legendary

Activity: 1498

180 BPM

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:45:59 PM

Good to see the 3 trolls repeating themselves with the same baseless accusations.  Market doesn't seem to care and every minute wasted from your lives is another smile on my face.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 12:49:23 PM

Insiders buying from themselves:

How new Alts / Scamcoins steal your Bitcoins

It seems every day a new alt coin pops up. They are easy to make - most are just clones of coins
that were programmed by someone else and just given a new name, a few graphic tweaks, etc. to make it look new.
It doesn’t take much work - a new scam coin is born.   Most of the devs who create these coins have only one intention - to steal bitcoins from others.  This explains how they do it.  

First they clone an existing coin, make a few tweaks, make a website (which helps scam coins look legit) then they pre-mine a good amount of coins which they will dump later on.
After the coin is up and ready for launch it is  Announced on various sites - bitcointalk.org, reddit, etc.

They get the coin listed on an exchange or two and then deposit a portion of their pre-mine coins they already
have saved up. They may make a few Bitcoins after their coin gets listed, but this is not the way they
intend to get your Bitcoins.   They let their coin do whatever the market wants for a month or two, maybe try to hype it up a little thru various forums and trollboxes to help legitimize it.  They don’t want to pump it as soon as it gets listed on an exchange - this would be obviously suspicious.

Then the day comes where they decide to make their move. They start by buying up the orders on
the exchange(s) to start driving up the price to give the illusion that their coin is starting to take of.  This doesn’t cost them anything because they pre-mined the coins for free and the Bitcoins they are using to buy up the orders go back to them because they are buying the scamcoin from themselves anyways.  After us innocent, unsuspecting users see that this alt
is moving up a large percent is when we start putting our bitcoin orders in so we don’t miss out on this coin that seems to be really taking off.  As soon as enough orders are put in / coins are bought - when the scammer devs are happy with the amount of BTC they have acquired, they dump the rest of their pre-mined coins on the order book to buy
up any lower bitcoin orders still on the books.   Congratulations, you have just become a bag holder of a worthless scamcoin that is back to its previous price of next to nothing, the devs have conned you out of your bitcoins and will let their scam coin die to start working on their next scam.

traumschiff
Legendary

180 BPM

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 01:03:20 PM

Irrelevant bullshit from a 50 year old lunatic nerd.

No clone.

No premine.

Features with original code.

On proper exchanges, like Poloniex, with the lowest possible deposit time thanks to their code audit.

Project is over 1 year old.

You have only proven 1 thing with this quote, that your health status is hurting your capability to use your brain.

TPTB_need_war

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 01:09:07 PM

No premine.

Mined coins are premines. Users aren't mining. Most speculators here didn't mine.

Your "rabid dog" phases only kill the credibility or air of respectfulness that bitcoin carpenter was trying to create.

Project is over 1 year old.

And still no white paper with full specifications.

traumschiff
Legendary

180 BPM

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 01:15:57 PM

Pointless to argue with you, Karma is doing it's work.

shanem
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 04:02:44 PM

Finally, this coin is starting to rise after being below 15k for a few months. Is this the start of a new rally or is this just used to dump onto people who buy?
I don't see any good news for this coin at the moment.

█           
           ██           
          ██████         
         ████████         
        ██████████       
       ████████████       
      ██████████████     
     ████████████████     
    ██████████████████   
   ████████████████████   
  ██████████▀▀██████████ 
 ███▀▄████▀    ▀████▄▀███
██▀ ▄██▀▀        ▀▀██▄ ▀██

░▄███████████▄░░░▄███████████▄░░▄███▄░░░░░░▄███▄░░▄██████████▄░░░████████████████░░░░██████████░░░░███████████████░░█████████████████
█████░░░░░░░███░████▀░░░░░▀████░█████▄░░░░▄█████░███▀░░░░░░▀███░███░░░░████░░░███░░███░░░░░░░░██░░███░░░░░░░░░░░███░███████░░░░██████
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░████░▀█████▄░░▄█████▀░███░░░░░░░░███░███░░░░████░░███░░░███░░░██░░░███░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░░████░░▀█████░░█████▀░░███░░░░░░░░███░███░░░░███░░░███░░░███░░████░░███░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░████░░░░░░█████░░░▀████▄▄████▀░░░███▄░░░░░░▄███░███░░░░███░░███░░░░██░░░████░░███░███░░░░░░░░░░███▀░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░░░░░██████████████░░░░░▀████████▀░░░░████████████▀░░███░░░░░░░░░███░░░███░░░████░░░██░███░░░█████████░░░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░████▄░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░███░░░███░░██░░░░░░░░░░░██░███░░░░░░░░░░███▄░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
█████░░░░░░░███░████░░░░░░░█████░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░████░░░███░██░░░░████░░░░█░███░░░█████▄░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
███████████████░████░░░░░░░█████░░░░████████░░░░░███████░░░░░░░░███░░░░████░░░░██░██░░░██████░░░█░███░░░██████░░███░░░░░███░░░░██░░░░
░▀███████████▀░░░███░░░░░░░████░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░████████████████░███████████████░░███████████████░░░░░░█████████░░░░
|
▂▃▅ Quick buy and sell bitcoins online. Fast and secure ▅▃▂
Facebook】【Twitter】【Telegram】【Medium】【Instagram
|
YAdaminer

Activity: 829

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 05:05:37 PM

Finally, this coin is starting to rise after being below 15k for a few months. Is this the start of a new rally or is this just used to dump onto people who buy?
I don't see any good news for this coin at the moment.

Well, you should check better:

https://twitter.com/john_a_connor/status/699111244104470528

In less than 3 days start new PoW rewarding system

https://github.com/john-connor/papers/blob/master/rewardv2.pdf

https://talk.vanillacoin.net/topic/221/6-month-timeline/2
mathgal23

Activity: 150
Merit: 102

View Profile
February 15, 2016, 08:25:40 PM

Still no detailed white paper or credit for copied bitcoin code used in VNL.
YAdaminer

Activity: 829

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 12:03:31 AM

Still no detailed white paper or credit for copied bitcoin code used in VNL.

... well, yes, nothing you can find here, just old farts and well known 'copyright FUD squad' bashing vanilla with nonproven accusations,
... so just move on to your XMR/AEON threads, at least you feel better there.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 01:09:33 AM

nonproven accusations,

There proof of the plagiarism (including copied bugs in what is allegedly new code) has been posted before, including by people that have nothing to do with any of these coins but see what is obvious instead of denying it.
I am the guy

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 16, 2016, 02:04:20 AM

Here we go again like a broken record.  Roll Eyes

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: