Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 03:22:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'd like to ask for some help.  (Read 8392 times)
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 05:29:45 PM

So in essence, if I make it too easy for you to scam me, it's my fault

Exactly what you said. If you make it too easy for me to scam you, it's my fault, which exactly what I've been apologizing for and exactly what I want to change. Thank you for helping me make that clearer, I hope to adjust my personality and attitude accordingly and on a completely different topic, if you'd like to discuss what makes someone honest and get to the bottom of what I meant by my previous comment, I would be happy to engage you. Please start a thread.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 05:36:03 PM

So the only thing he did wrong, was running a silly bet?

HOW STUPID TO TAKE THIS BET SERIOUS IN THE FIRST PLACE.... Did someone get hurt (besides mentally?); Did someone loose Money or BTC?
No?

If thats the only thing he did.... then remove the tag because he's not a scammer....

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 05:43:51 PM

HOW STUPID TO TAKE THIS BET SERIOUS IN THE FIRST PLACE.... Did someone get hurt (besides mentally?); Did someone loose Money or BTC?
No?

If thats the only thing he did.... then remove the tag because he's not a scammer....

The argument I have received numerous times is that since people trusted the bet, they were inclined to make other financial decisions based on said trust. This is something I hadn't really thought about beforehand to much extend and I was surprised, scared and saddened when the first wave of claims of lost funds do to hedging etc occurred. Some people actually went one step further and purchased debt, losing out even moreso. This unfortunately for all parties is unverifiable and admittedly something I will never be able to resolve completely. I am here first and foremost to simply resolve the bet itself. If I were to pay the bet out, it would be for the bet only, not amounts people come up with aside from that. That said, I do acknowledge that I have made many people uncomfortable as a result of the bet and I am truly grief stricken.

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2013, 05:50:11 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2013, 06:02:45 PM by Lethn

Taking a $1,000,000 bet on the internet seriously is a bit like taking Mitt Romney's $10,000 bet seriously, either way you're all going to end up looking like pillocks, it's a bit like taking a troll seriously, you can't go back and say "WE THOUGHT YOU WERE SERIOUS BURN IT! BURN IT!" and come out of that looking intelligent when you were just as stupid as the person who said it, I've seen it happen though lol. I don't know what happened precisely but if he did owe people money, then he should pay it back, that's a given and completely unrelated to such a stupid sounding bet, but if he didn't owe any money at all, then you guys are screaming drama and I'd be wary about even selling Manga to you for 0.5 BTC like I plan to let alone anything pricey like hand made Jewellery because this is actually looking a bit like the same situation that johnniewalker had with people trying to profit from internet drama and blackmail him into paying up without any proof.

I'm hoping this is just one or two scam artists I have to be worried about that have snuck into the community and won't be back, not what Bitcoin will be made up of in the entire future.
BR0KK

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 06:11:34 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2013, 06:22:26 PM by BR0KK

No?

The argument I have received numerous times is that since people trusted the bet, they were inclined to make other financial decisions based on said trust. This is something I hadn't really thought about beforehand to much extend and I was surprised, scared and saddened when the first wave of claims of lost funds do to hedging etc occurred. Some people actually went one step further and purchased debt, losing out even moreso. This unfortunately for all parties is unverifiable and admittedly something I will never be able to resolve completely. I am here first and foremost to simply resolve the bet itself. If I were to pay the bet out, it would be for the bet only, not amounts people come up with aside from that. That said, I do acknowledge that I have made many people uncomfortable as a result of the bet and I am truly grief stricken.

You are not responsible for other peoples decisions..... If i invest in something i'll think about that FIRST.... If i do the ammount i "bet" is onsidered gone for good.
The pirate thing seemed good to be true so at first i fell for it.  I did have a share or two in PPT's (TYGRR.. something; a ppt from GOAT) but i got out early.

As i recall, i saw your bet and the first thing that came to mind was "not to take it serious"! How and why should someone bet that much? Especially with all that BS about pirate :/ How the hell could someone (your bet partners) take something like that serious?
Greed .... AGAIN (as we see in the religious ASIC WAR  today).

On the other hand you could and should have made it clear that this bet wasn't serious! Somewhere between the lines .... Or if you (or others) noticed that it git outa hand!

Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2013, 06:19:08 PM

Greed .... AGAIN (as we see in the religious ASIC WAR  today).

The hilarious thing is if you look at the numbers they're spouting for the ASIC it isn't actually that impressive, like with anything Bitcoin mining, I think the objective is entirely to acquire Bitcoins, it isn't to profit from them like with real life mining, in fact, a pick axe and some Geology lessons would probably serve all these guys better in the long run than paying for ASIC's.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 06:24:24 PM

As i recall, i saw your bet and the first thing that came to mind was "not to take it serious"! How and why should someone bet that much? Especially with all that BS about pirate :/ How the hell could someone (your bet partners) take something like that serious?

Alas, this has been mentioned before and I lean in favor of the opposing argument, that it is impossible to tell with a bet in the amount I originally set limits for. Some people did believe I had 10,000 BTC, and I made no effort to discourage them from that. Looking back it's like watching a completely different person; I have no idea what the hell was wrong with me and it still embarrasses me how inappropriately I behaved. It has caused a lot of reflection and I have found that an adjustment in my attitude and personality is the only logical next step to functioning in society.

BR0KK

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 06:26:09 PM

The hilarious thing is if you look at the numbers they're spouting for the ASIC it isn't actually that impressive, like with anything Bitcoin mining, I think the objective is entirely to acquire Bitcoins, it isn't to profit from them like with real life mining, in fact, a pick axe and some Geology lessons would probably serve all these guys better in the long run than paying for ASIC's.

true so true but no one will listen :/
 As if a "add a certain ASIC here" will ever pay for itself or make you rich!

BR0KK

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 06:33:10 PM

Alas, this has been mentioned before and I lean in favor of the opposing argument, that it is impossible to tell with a bet in the amount I originally set limits for. Some people did believe I had 10,000 BTC, and I made no effort to discourage them from that. Looking back it's like watching a completely different person; I have no idea what the hell was wrong with me and it still embarrasses me how inappropriately I behaved. It has caused a lot of reflection and I have found that an adjustment in my attitude and personality is the only logical next step to functioning in society.

Thats your flaw and thats what you should be punished for.... not loosing a bet! Work on that!

Try to earn back the trust you once had. Don't expect it to be easy Smiley

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 06:46:08 PM

BR0KK: Imagine for a moment that you and another guy is playing texas holdem heads up tournament. You both have agreed to put $10 000 in the pot meaning the winner will receive $20 000 and loser $0. You win the game, then the other party says "haha I was just joking man! don't take it so seriously."... would you at this point still hold the opinion that since you didn't lose anything you did not get scammed?

Well, this is exactly what has happended here. The poker player who ripped everyone off is back and is trying to settle things. We'll see how that goes.

elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 06:49:57 PM
Last edit: January 20, 2013, 10:36:46 PM by elux

This is something I hadn't really thought about beforehand to much extend and I was surprised, scared and saddened when the first wave of claims of lost funds do to hedging etc occurred.

Some people actually went one step further and purchased debt, losing out even moreso.

No.

You eagerly advertised the bet, both here, and on #btcst, as a way for BTCST victims to hedge against Pirate default.

Edit:

In light of recent news that pirate has indeed paid out one individual (and 2 reported although unconfirmed), I am even more confident that I will indeed win this bet as I had originally hoped. I've decided to raise the maximum bet to 1,000BTC per person.

I encourage anyone who is invested in Pirate who is unsure of his legitimacy (which is still not proven) to use this opportunity to hedge with me,
 reason being that I have already locked the 10,000BTC funds towards this bet and will not be backing away from that amount.

Thank you everyone for showing a huge amount of integrity to bet for your beliefs instead of just arguing, defaming, accusing, aggravating, etc. Many of you truly believe Pirate is a ponzi, many of you are simply utilizing my offer for hedging, and still others are simply happy to take a 50/50 chance bet on anything. Regardless, we are at the 10,000BTC mark and thus I am locking the thread so that no more bets can be received here.

BR0KK

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 06:57:34 PM

BR0KK: Imagine for a moment that you and another guy is playing texas holdem heads up tournament. You both have agreed to put $10 000 in the pot meaning the winner will receive $20 000 and loser $0. You win the game, then the other party says "haha I was just joking man! don't take it so seriously."... would you at this point still hold the opinion that since you didn't lose anything you did not get scammed?

Well, this is exactly what has happended here. The poker player who ripped everyone off is back and is trying to settle things. We'll see how that goes.

That's something i'll never do Smiley

Lets assume i do this:

Real game:
1. Money on the table then we play!
2. No Money; no game!
3. Look at the guy offering the bet .... you'll see if he's capable of 20K bets!
4. Get some witness to ensure the bet (Someone you trust)
5. Maybe write something down with each party agreeing to pay up?
6. and so forth....

Stupid internet bet with troll kids:
0. Think first!
1. Don't take em serious!
2. Dont cry about a loss that you didn't have!

BR0KK

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 07:00:33 PM

This is something I hadn't really thought about beforehand to much extend and I was surprised, scared and saddened when the first wave of claims of lost funds do to hedging etc occurred.

Some people actually went one step further and purchased debt, losing out even moreso.

No.

You eagerly advertised the bet IRC, as a way for BTCST victims to hedge against Pirate default.

OHHHH poor victims of hedge (FUCKING HIGH RISK.... It's not like you couldn't see that there is something wrong with the BET he put up against Pirate?)  Bets....

darkmule
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 07:17:43 PM

What exactly is an "honest person"? I don't believe I've ever met one.

This kind of cynicism is stereotypical. Honest people are hard to come by and if you don't have the highest respect for them and feel attracted to them, you won't see them around you.
[/quote]

It is typical of a sociopath to deny that others possess good traits they themselves lack.  I suppose it makes them feel better about themselves.
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 07:29:17 PM

My apologies darkmule, I'm here to make amends for the bad behavior I've had. If you see that behavior cropping up again, please do let me know. If you are sincerely worried about my mental health or being a sociopath, I welcome a discussion on it on a new thread. I imagine there are many traits of many things that many people have, but that's why real licensed and learned doctors exist to give those assessments. Thank you for your interesting perspective though, this thread is for discussion afterall.

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 08:01:10 PM

Lets assume i do this:

Real game:
2. No Money; no game!
3. Look at the guy offering the bet .... you'll see if he's capable of 20K bets!
6. and so forth....

0. Think first!

So do I understand this right, if I am considered a "troll kid" (despite my identity and location being wildely known) I can promise people whatever I want on the internet and make any kind of bets and still not be a scammer when I default on all my promises?

Nice, remind me to never do any business with you.

BR0KK

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 08:29:11 PM

Lets assume i do this:

Real game:
2. No Money; no game!
6. and so forth....

0. Think first!

So do I understand this right, if I am considered a "troll kid" (despite my identity and location being wildely known) I can promise people whatever I want on the internet and make any kind of bets and still not be a scammer when I default on all my promises?

Nope .... where did i write that? Highlight that please.... You made a silly example of a poker game and i debunked it... How on earth would one play like this?

My advise: Just don't bet with them, and don't start crying if you lost nothing:)

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
January 20, 2013, 10:09:42 PM

Lets assume i do this:

Real game:
2. No Money; no game!
6. and so forth....

0. Think first!

Nope .... where did i write that? Highlight that please.... You made a silly example of a poker game and i debunked it... How on earth would one play like this?

My advise: Just don't bet with them, and don't start crying if you lost nothing:)

Let me quote what you wrote previously today in this topic:

No?

bpd

Activity: 114
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 08:08:15 PM

Matthew,

If you ACTUALLY want to make things right, then you should declare personal bankruptcy and let the court divide whatever assets you have among your creditors. Yes, you're still walking out on your obligations by declaring bankruptcy, but it is the societally acceptable way to discharge unpayable debt. As long as you're walking around with assets without filing for bankruptcy, you have not truly taken responsibility for your actions.

Personally, I side with those who believe you're a sociopath, and I have my doubts whether you truly want to take responsibility, rather than just having people think you're a good guy again by making some weepy apologetic posts. Hope you'll prove me wrong, though.
repentance

Activity: 868

View Profile
January 21, 2013, 08:51:03 PM

Matthew,

If you ACTUALLY want to make things right, then you should declare personal bankruptcy and let the court divide whatever assets you have among your creditors. Yes, you're still walking out on your obligations by declaring bankruptcy, but it is the societally acceptable way to discharge unpayable debt. As long as you're walking around with assets without filing for bankruptcy, you have not truly taken responsibility for your actions.

Personally, I side with those who believe you're a sociopath, and I have my doubts whether you truly want to take responsibility, rather than just having people think you're a good guy again by making some weepy apologetic posts. Hope you'll prove me wrong, though.

I doubt that any legal system would regard Matthew's bet as provable in bankruptcy given that the bet may well have been illegal in and of itself in Matthew's jurisdiction.  Unless the legal issues regarding the sale of Bitcoin Magazine have now been resolved, bankruptcy on Matthew's part could also make that more complicated. 

There's literally no reason at all to believe that Matthew has enough assets that any creditors would receive a payment if he declared bankruptcy.  That doesn't mean that he shouldn't, but people need to realise it would likely be a symbolic act.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: