Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:52:00 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'd like to ask for some help.  (Read 8387 times)
BR0KK

Activity: 784
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 02:25:53 PM

I can hold the label of "scammer" for a lack of a better title, but scammers don't pay people back and work to change their lives.
I didn't get paid back.

Did you pay him something?  Huh Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 02:27:22 PM

Well, since no one else seems to have posted up an address, I'll see how this goes.

1FQhNej4boCkMfDFZykBDf9YbiKWK4aVfK

My bet was 100BTC in the first day of the bet, later upped to 500BTC after you extended past the 10,000 limit.

I would settle for 1% of the total bet, or BTC5 to the address above. If that works, go ahead and I'll consider this all resolved.

I've messaged you, not sure if you have me on ignore or didn't get my message. Many people who have posted in this thread have already been messaged and not responded yet. It has prompted the creation of this thread.

MrTeal
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 02:45:57 PM

Well, since no one else seems to have posted up an address, I'll see how this goes.

1FQhNej4boCkMfDFZykBDf9YbiKWK4aVfK

My bet was 100BTC in the first day of the bet, later upped to 500BTC after you extended past the 10,000 limit.

I would settle for 1% of the total bet, or BTC5 to the address above. If that works, go ahead and I'll consider this all resolved.

I've messaged you, not sure if you have me on ignore or didn't get my message. Many people who have posted in this thread have already been messaged and not responded yet. It has prompted the creation of this thread.
Sure, I'll reply to the PM.
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 04:25:22 PM

I can hold the label of "scammer" for a lack of a better title, but scammers don't pay people back and work to change their lives.
I didn't get paid back.

When people make bets, unless they use escrow, no party actually pays the other part before the bet has ended.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 04:46:32 PM

I didn't get paid back.

When people make bets, unless they use escrow, no party actually pays the other part before the bet has ended.

When you said "paid back," the "back" implies that you paid him something, and are waiting for him to return the money, aka pay you back. If you haven't paid him anything, and he hasn't honored his bet, neither of you are better or worse off than you were before.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 04:46:56 PM

You need a 'Rehab' title here.  Cheesy

lol. I'm all for it. Theymos?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 05:38:37 PM

I didn't get paid back.

When you said "paid back," the "back" implies that you paid him something, and are waiting for him to return the money, aka pay you back. If you haven't paid him anything, and he hasn't honored his bet, neither of you are better or worse off than you were before.
No it doesn't. He has a loan to me and I am waiting for him to pay back the loan. I am worse off if he doesn't pay me too, opportunity costs.

Rassah
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2013, 05:47:07 PM

I didn't get paid back.

No it doesn't. He has a loan to me and I am waiting for him to pay back the loan. I am worse off if he doesn't pay me too, opportunity costs.

That sounds like a separate issue from the bet that got him labeled as a scammer...
Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 07:25:34 PM

I do not remember ever borrowing any money from you. If you are considering the bet as being a loan, you'd be mistaken. That does not however change my mind about what the right thing to do in this situation is and I will continue to work towards it.

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 08:14:18 PM

I do not remember ever borrowing any money from you.
When you gamble with money you don't have you are borrowing money. It's called gambling debt, and it can grow despite you never actually being handed over money, it's an obligation to pay, debt, or as I thought was an appropriate word "loan".  Isn't borrowing money and loaning money basically the same thing?

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 08:21:25 PM

When you gamble with money you don't have you are borrowing money. It's called gambling debt, and it can grow despite you never actually being handed over money, it's an obligation to pay, debt, or as I thought was an appropriate word "loan".  Isn't borrowing money and loaning money basically the same thing?

So if you get a parking ticket and don't pay it, does the court say that they gave you a loan for the ticket amount?

TheKoziTwo
Legendary

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 08:31:22 PM

So if you get a parking ticket and don't pay it, does the court say that they gave you a loan for the ticket amount?
That's different, as it's not a voluntary choice. Borrowing money to gamble is a choice and requires someone willing to take the risk that you will pay back the loan. But as I said in PM, maybe loan is not the right word to use. Would it be correct to call it just "debt" maybe?

Matthew N. Wright (OP)
Untrustworthy

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 08:34:42 PM

That's different, as it's not a voluntary choice. Borrowing money to gamble is a choice and requires someone willing to take the risk that you will pay back the loan. But as I said in PM, maybe loan is not the right word to use. Would it be correct to call it just "debt" maybe?

Yea, it's unactionable debt (i.e. debt that can't be claimed in a court of law), so it's basically a gentleman's agreement, but I wasn't acting like a gentleman. That's the best way to describe it.

repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 08:39:15 PM

Deep breaths Matthew.  You seem to be losing your humility and becoming pedantic and argumentative already, which kind of undermines your stated purpose for starting the thread.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
BR0KK

Activity: 784

View Profile
January 22, 2013, 09:02:32 PM
Last edit: January 22, 2013, 09:18:02 PM by BR0KK

Quote from: Matthew N. Wright on Today at 08:21:25 PM
Quote from: TheKoziTwo on Today at 08:14:18 PM

So hes in "dept" to you now for what exactly?

Ohhhh there i spotted another "becoin"...

auzaar

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 04:48:52 AM

let the betting begin
http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=1167
LightRider
Legendary

Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021

I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.

View Profile WWW
January 23, 2013, 07:13:01 AM

Money is imaginary. Debt is imaginary. Start living in reality.

Bitcoin combines money, the wrongest thing in the world, with software, the easiest thing in the world to get wrong.
Visit www.thevenusproject.com and www.theZeitgeistMovement.com.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 08:57:13 AM

MNW,

You owe me 1500 BTC under the username bitbotbut on your list.

I posted a screenshot of your google docs spreadsheet from back in August.

Make me an offer on how to settle this debt.

And no, I'm not going to take a tiny portion of the debt as payment.

Be reasonable given that you would have held everyone else who made bets against you to their bet had you won.

I posted in the other thread and PMed you.

Awaiting your response.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

westkybitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: Compromised. Thanks, Android!

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 01:43:23 PM

I'd like to ask some advice on how to make things right.

You don't know me, and I was never involved in any of this, but for what it's worth, here's some (blunt, but not malicious) advice:

1) After getting in touch with those you owe, take another vacation from the forums. Not that I expected you to grovel, but some of your statements, and the tone behind them, suggest you're still not fully realizing the gravity of all this (and no, I'm not talking about others incurring other financial losses based on your welshing of the bet.)

2) Please stop linking to anything with a donation address, regardless of the reason. Coming back into this situation claiming to have learned your lesson, only to then do something so inappropriate further reinforces #1.

3) Attempt to settle, but if anyone you owe insists you pay the full amount, then you need to accept that that is what you owe that person. Whether you choose to dismiss them or to spend years paying them back is entirely your choice, but to not accept that you owe what you owe would put a lie to your claim: "I want to personally take care of my situation with that person and do my best to make things right, no matter how long it takes."

4) I'd recommend you never, not once, request your scammer tag be removed, and that you do your best to not get involved with debating the merits of having it be removed.

5) Borrow what you can and start buying some bitcoins NOW. I'm sure you've seen the price movements, and can see the general trend. You already know there will be some (whether you owe them 1 BTC or 1000 BTC) who will insist you pay them in full. If you really are intending to make it right to any significant degree, such action would be real evidence of that, and will allow you to make payments more easily further down the road.

6) Finally, if you really are in this for the long haul, you might find you'll be more successful if you make whatever regular payments you agree to make on your debts, but aim to fully pay them off in order from smallest debt to largest. I didn't come up with the methodology, but it's incredibly sound financial advice.

However you choose to handle this, I sincerely hope it all works out in the end.

Good luck.

Bitcoin is the ultimate freedom test. It tells you who is giving lip service and who genuinely believes in it.
In the future, books that summarize the history of money will have a line that says, “and then came bitcoin.” It is the economic singularity. And we are living in it now. - Ryan Dickherber
ATTENTION BFL MINING NEWBS: Just got your Jalapenos in? Wondering how to get the most value for the least hassle? Give BitMinter a try! It's a smaller pool with a fair & low-fee payment method, lots of statistical feedback, and it's easier than EasyMiner! (Yes, we want your hashing power, but seriously, it IS the easiest pool to use! Sign up in seconds to try it!)
The idea that deflation causes hoarding (to any problematic degree) is a lie used to justify theft of value from your savings.
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
January 23, 2013, 10:04:14 PM

If the above is true, for I believe that's why the tag was implemented in the first place, then how is that different than promising shipment on a certain date, but was pushed back a couple three times? Before I continue, please understand that this is no way a diss toward BFL, let alone suggesting they, too, deserve a scammer tag, which is nonsense. But the crux of the matter is that many a people pre-ordered product with the understanding that revenue will be generated by a certain date or, at the very least, a modest rescheduled one. If my calculations are correct, not one satoshi of the over a million dollars worth of bitcoins that were expected to be mined to date has yet to be produced.
Well, for a start no-one's been able to prove that BFL actually lied when they said they were going to ship on that date, whereas Matthew very helpfully demonstrated in theatrical fashion that he never actually intended to do what he promised, having carefully built up anticipation for his announcement to make sure as many people as possible were watching. Also, Matthew actually advertised his bet as a way for people to "hedge their Pirate exposure". Finally, Matthew made a point of insisting that anyone who didn't pay up would get a scammer tag. Basically, he did everything he possibly could to make sure he got tagged as a scammer.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: