Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:07:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What if your Avalon breaks?  (Read 2646 times)
lastbit (OP)

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 07:20:30 PM

So, what do you do, after (hopefully) receiving your Avalon unit, it (suddenly) stops working (properly)?

It seems like it has an ATX power supply, fans, an USB hub, 3 ASIC modules, and a ARM based controller.
If power supply, a fan or the USB hub break, no problem, go buy another, replace and you're back in business.

If an ASIC module fails, given the fact that the unit is modular and expandable, it has a good change to work with only 2 modules. Maybe Foundation (or Jeff) can help with a 15 minutes test, disconnecting one of the (hot glued) USB cables between USB hub and one of the modules? 44GH/s is better than nothing, until a replacement part arrives.

But what if controller fails? Disaster! Maybe there's a possibility to put the firmware (or part of it) on a wireless router (w/USB) with the same chipset? Any idea anybody? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
davecoin

Activity: 816
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 07:34:23 PM

Contact Avalon and order a replacement? 
regular

Activity: 297
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 07:36:32 PM

there does not seem to be any warranty explicitly stated on the avalon website.
lastbit (OP)

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 07:47:03 PM

Contact Avalon and order a replacement? 
Yes but on one hand, every day of non-functioning costs you money.
On the other hand, as REGULAR said, it's unclear with Avalon guys.

So, I'm more interested of what can be done by yourself, at least until (hypothetically) you get your replacement parts.

Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 08:22:25 PM

The term Buyer Beware has never been more applicable than when dealing with avalon.
regular

Activity: 297

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 08:29:07 PM

I have to admit BFL is clearer for their products.  I don't feel that horrible missing out on Avalon batch 2 now.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showwiki.php?title=FAQ:What+is+the+warranty+period+on+your+devices&do=comments
senseless

Activity: 1118
Merit: 541

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 08:56:18 PM

I have to admit BFL is clearer for their products.  I don't feel that horrible missing out on Avalon batch 2 now.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/showwiki.php?title=FAQ:What+is+the+warranty+period+on+your+devices&do=comments

Cant post video? Sad

Reminds me of: http://youtu.be/mEB7WbTTlu4

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
February 03, 2013, 10:53:34 PM

So, what do you do, after (hopefully) receiving your Avalon unit, it (suddenly) stops working (properly)?

It seems like it has an ATX power supply, fans, an USB hub, 3 ASIC modules, and a ARM based controller.
If power supply, a fan or the USB hub break, no problem, go buy another, replace and you're back in business.

If an ASIC module fails, given the fact that the unit is modular and expandable, it has a good change to work with only 2 modules. Maybe Foundation (or Jeff) can help with a 15 minutes test, disconnecting one of the (hot glued) USB cables between USB hub and one of the modules? 44GH/s is better than nothing, until a replacement part arrives.

But what if controller fails? Disaster! Maybe there's a possibility to put the firmware (or part of it) on a wireless router (w/USB) with the same chipset? Any idea anybody? 

It's just a WR703N with some custom firmware and an external antenna connector soldered in.

If someone would be so kind as to rip the firmware from their Avalon and post it, I think I can use the openwrt toolchain to build from it a firmware bundle that can be flashed onto a factory WR703N.

I'd be more worried about the DC-DC converters failing.  No offense to ngzhang.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
lastbit (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 12:19:03 AM

It's just a WR703N with some custom firmware and an external antenna connector soldered in.

If someone would be so kind as to rip the firmware from their Avalon and post it, I think I can use the openwrt toolchain to build from it a firmware bundle that can be flashed onto a factory WR703N.

I'd be more worried about the DC-DC converters failing.  No offense to ngzhang.

Thanks, valuable information!
I think DC-DC converters are on each module, so a failure will kill only one module, not the whole unit. Even this is depending on how a module reacts to a partial failure, be it a DC-DC or an ASIC chip (probably are multiple DC-DC per/on each module).
lastbit (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 08:41:58 AM

Now I notice there's probably another module each ASIC module connects with a ribbon cable to.
goxed
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006

Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 08:55:02 AM

I would first invest in

and

before investing in any beta stage HW

Revewing Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
lastbit (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 09:03:37 AM

You forgot the hot-air soldering station  Grin
goxed
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 09:51:34 AM

Oh yeah! Silly me, how could I forget that.

There you go

This

and

this

yohan

Activity: 462
Merit: 251

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 10:04:11 AM

Oh yeah! Silly me, how could I forget that.

There you go

This

and

this

If you want to do it properly better add a microscope and a chip/board drying cabinet to all of that.
goxed
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 10:33:20 AM

You forgot the hot-air soldering station  Grin

If you want to do it properly better add a microscope and a chip/board drying cabinet to all of that.

No wonder I had this feeling that I forgot something important

Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 05:12:45 PM

Easy. Buy replacement parts or buy another Avalon.

It's not like Avalon offers a warranty on their "no refund" devices Wink

Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 05:52:21 PM

Got the DSO, DMM, soldering iron, and cheap microscope.

No hot air gun yet.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
Frequency

Activity: 540
Merit: 500

COINDER

View Profile WWW
February 04, 2013, 06:01:05 PM

Sarcasm on )_(

You probably first need to get an Avalon before you can break em... Shocked  Grin  Wink

Sarcasm off (_)

COINDER
COINDER
lastbit (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 08:30:52 PM

Sarcasm on )_(

You probably first need to get an Avalon before you can break em... Shocked  Grin  Wink

Sarcasm off (_)
Yeah Frequency, I tried to order but failed, so, for me, this thread is a sad one Sad
I'm pretty disappointed at how Avalon dealt with their website mess, but that's another story Sad
siggy

Activity: 381

View Profile
February 04, 2013, 10:06:00 PM

Yeah Frequency, I tried to order but failed, so, for me, this thread is a sad one Sad
I'm pretty disappointed at how Avalon dealt with their website mess, but that's another story Sad

+1

Tried, failed..  trying to decide if I'm disapointed..  Do I really want to do business with a company that soooo drops the ball on communication? 

Silence is NOT golden in this case.

Sigg
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: