Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 11:21:31 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: paypal dropped mtgox  (Read 30783 times)
mtgox (OP)

Activity: 185
Merit: 102

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2010, 10:44:45 AM

Keefe: paypal will give it back. Even if they don't things will be fine.
I'm treating LR USD just like USD. I didn't make it a 3rd currency.

twobitcoins: I'm still trying to get ACH but it doesn't look good.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
caveden
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 27, 2010, 11:17:32 AM

Now look at these numbers. Do you still think it's too expensive to deal with a real exchange company?

Code:
BitcoinMarket
  Pecunix           :      0.0901
  PayPal            :      0.1500
  Liberty Reserve   :      0.1000

Mt Gox
  PayPal            :      0.16

Link2Voip
  Phone credit      :      0.15015

Nanaimo Gold buys   :      0.0901
Nanaimo Gold sells  :      0.1037

You've raised an interesting point here. It's as if paypal insecurity was dropping its value. In the end, using a secure system (or an insurance) might cost the same.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2010, 11:29:18 AM

Ok I've given up the search and started integrating Liberty Reserve.
You can now add payments with LR.
I'm doing withdrawals manually for now.
ExchangeZone.com seems the best place to buy and sell LR since you can do it with out the crazy commission the other exchangers charge.
Please email me if you have issues.

Be careful. ExchangeZone is rife with scammers.

That's what years of experience can teach.

That and what it costs to maintain inventories and mitigate fraud.

You see, for you guys, bitcoin is a nerdish hobby. People serious about digital currency pay exchange commissions because it's worth it.

Both you and BCM were warned long ago about the risks you were taking. I even warned you both last year that your market data would become skewed from the fraud.

I can't even use Mt Gox data because it's so far out to lunch.

Now look at these numbers. Do you still think it's too expensive to deal with a real exchange company?

Code:
BitcoinMarket
  Pecunix           :      0.0901
  PayPal            :      0.1500
  Liberty Reserve   :      0.1000

Mt Gox
  PayPal            :      0.16

Link2Voip
  Phone credit      :      0.15015

Nanaimo Gold buys   :      0.0901
Nanaimo Gold sells  :      0.1037

That's a great rate.

It seems to me that when I put in the amount of LR I want to trade it should calculate the number of bitcoins I will receive and not a number of dollars. Even on the preview page it has dollars and not the number of bitcoins. 

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2010, 12:04:36 PM

What happens if someone turns out to be a crook which is authenticated?

Begin prosecution? On what grounds? And if the scammer from another country?

Nothing is foolproof?

I just interesting how a system like bitcoin successfully solved this problem.

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
nanaimogold

Activity: 661
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 27, 2010, 12:39:21 PM

That's a great rate.

It seems to me that when I put in the amount of LR I want to trade it should calculate the number of bitcoins I will receive and not a number of dollars. Even on the preview page it has dollars and not the number of bitcoins. 

Noted. I'll change the presentation. Bitcoin is different from the other digital currencies.

Anonymous

October 27, 2010, 12:46:59 PM

Nothing is foolproof?

I think we need to follow what is the strength of bitcoin and that is its distributed nature. It follows that distributed reputation and exchange markets is the way to go. That means the damage from any one bad thing does not effect the whole.
bitcoinex

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

probiwon.com

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2010, 04:15:33 PM

Nothing is foolproof?

I think we need to follow what is the strength of bitcoin and that is its distributed nature. It follows that distributed reputation and exchange markets is the way to go. That means the damage from any one bad thing does not effect the whole.

But the exchanges contrary tend to consolidation and centralization.
Unfortunately,exchanges play an important role.

New bitcoin lottery: probiwon.com
- Moжeт, ты eщё и в Heвидимyю Pyкy Pынкa вepyeшь? - Зaчeм жe вepoвaть в тo, чтo мoжнo нaблюдaть нeпocpeдcтвeннo?
sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2010, 07:45:12 PM

I just created a LR account.  After withdrawing USD 75, which went very quickly, I got 73.51 on my LR account.  Shouldn't it be 74.25?  Looks like the fee of 1% has been deducted twice?

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2010, 08:24:03 PM

I just created a LR account.  After withdrawing USD 75, which went very quickly, I got 73.51 on my LR account.  Shouldn't it be 74.25?  Looks like the fee of 1% has been deducted twice?

Apparently mtgox takes 1% and LR takes another 1%? If so, better to have fees on withdraws than on every trade. That way market makers can still keep very tight spreads.

I wonder what the deal is with deposits. Just one 1% from LR?

sturle
Legendary

Activity: 1437
Merit: 1002

https://bitmynt.no

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2010, 08:30:40 PM

Apparently mtgox takes 1% and LR takes another 1%?
Can't be.  Mt. Gox says on every page: Mt. Gox charges no fee and is free to use.
The withdrawal page only mentions the 1% charged by Liberty Reserve.

Sjå https://bitmynt.no for veksling av bitcoin mot norske kroner.  Trygt, billig, raskt og enkelt sidan 2010.
I buy with EUR and other currencies at a fair market price when you want to sell.  See http://bitmynt.no/eurprice.pl
Warning: "Bitcoin" XT, Classic, Unlimited and the likes are scams. Don't use them, and don't listen to their shills.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2010, 08:38:06 PM

Apparently mtgox takes 1% and LR takes another 1%?
Can't be.  Mt. Gox says on every page: Mt. Gox charges no fee and is free to use.
The withdrawal page only mentions the 1% charged by Liberty Reserve.

Yeah, I remember it does say that, but he did charge $1 before for PP withdraws and for checks, so I think the best guess is that he took 1%.

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304

View Profile
October 28, 2010, 03:23:29 AM

mtgox, can u offer withdraws via paypal?  withdraws won't have chargebacks.  if no, then why not?
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
October 28, 2010, 04:28:08 AM

mtgox, can u offer withdraws via paypal?  withdraws won't have chargebacks.  if no, then why not?

Withdrawal... from what account?

mtgox noted at the beginning of this thread that PayPal froze his account, possibly up to 180 days.  After reviewing mtgox's posts, I don't see anything that has changed that fundamental situation.

And creating a second PP account, just for withdrawals, would not only endanger the first (frozen) PP account, but would inflict additional LR->PP transfer fees on the withdrawer.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304

View Profile
October 28, 2010, 06:20:56 AM

mtgox, can u offer withdraws via paypal?  withdraws won't have chargebacks.  if no, then why not?

Withdrawal... from what account?

mtgox noted at the beginning of this thread that PayPal froze his account, possibly up to 180 days.  After reviewing mtgox's posts, I don't see anything that has changed that fundamental situation.

And creating a second PP account, just for withdrawals, would not only endanger the first (frozen) PP account, but would inflict additional LR->PP transfer fees on the withdrawer.

I deposited usd into mt gox with paypal.  So if Mt Gox's PayPal was not frozen I should be able to withdraw my money back directly into my PayPal account.

r u hoping that mt gox not get a second paypal account just so the first paypal acct has a likely chance to bcome unfrozen? I'm ok with that too. but once unfrozen I should b able 2 make usd withdraws into my pp acct.  I do not want 2 go through liberty reserve.
mtgox (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 28, 2010, 12:46:27 PM

jimbobway: yes once paypal unfreezes my account I'm pretty sure I will be able to send you your money from it. If I can't then I'll open a 2nd account to do this.

kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980

View Profile
October 29, 2010, 04:06:03 PM

jimbobway: yes once paypal unfreezes my account I'm pretty sure I will be able to send you your money from it. If I can't then I'll open a 2nd account to do this.

But it's only 18 days! 162 days before you can send money via paypal again.(From the start of this thread) That's a long time.

S3052
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 03, 2010, 08:43:37 AM

Volume is dropping on the exchanges (MtGox, etc.).

What is the reason for it?
* is it that people hold on to their coins?
* is it that people spend their coins in games, other services, etc.?
* is it because MtGox does not accept new users? WHAT IS THE STATUS Huh
* is it because MtGox only offers Liberty Reserve to add funds which itself takes ages to buy and is complicated?

I know it is tough and not easy and MtGox is doing a great job trying to work this out, but it would be good to see what the timeline is to re-establish a proper exchange (incl. make it open to new users and easy to add / withdraw funds).
maybe some other experts here can help.

thanks for perspective

Anonymous

November 03, 2010, 11:17:33 AM

What is the reason for it?
* is it that people hold on to their coins?
* is it that people spend their coins in games, other services, etc.?
* is it because MtGox does not accept new users? WHAT IS THE STATUS Huh
* is it because MtGox only offers Liberty Reserve to add funds which itself takes ages to buy and is complicated?

I know it is tough and not easy and MtGox is doing a great job trying to work this out, but it would be good to see what the timeline is to re-establish a proper exchange (incl. make it open to new users and easy to add / withdraw funds).
maybe some other experts here can help.

thanks for perspective

A lot of people are using the bitcoin otc exchange on irc. Things might change once mt gox gets some liberty reserve.
irc://freenode/bitcoin-otc  

ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
November 03, 2010, 11:23:54 AM

According to the MtGox "All Time, Show Volume Data" chart, volume has been generally higher since MtGox lost the use of PayPal than it was before then. And that's BTC volume; if you wanted to look at USD volume that would show even greater increases.

Of course, it would be even higher if MtGox could still do PayPal, but I don't think there's anything to worry about.
mtgox (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 03, 2010, 11:36:30 AM

I never stopped accepting new users.
And like ribuck said the volume has been way higher for some reason since the paypal thing.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: