Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:40:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Silver at 29 ,Bitcoin at 30. this is no-brainer..  (Read 10667 times)
Nikolaj06

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

WINSTARS - We are changing the face of gambling

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:43:09 PM

Soo, let me get this straight.. You guys want us to invest in silver?

Take a look at the short run.. If I had invested 10000$ (my savings) in silver when you posted this thread (at 29$), I would today have earned -20 $ (lost 20 dollars.. If I sold at current price of 28.94)

On the other side, if I invested in Bitcoin, I would have earned 3,333$...

How can you say silver beats Bitcoin? Do you have some insider knowledge about Bitcoin that makes you believe that it will somehow fail? I think not..

My 2c: Leave the PMs for what they are good at, looking pretty and electrical appliances. They are way outdated as a means of exchange..

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
WINSTARS -   We are changing the face of gamblingWHITEPAPERANN THREADTELEGRAMFACEBOOK ● Twitter
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:53:29 PM

Take a look at the short run..

Oh no, silver is not for the short run. It will be around longer than bitcoin for sure Smiley

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
piramida
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010

Borsche

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:55:12 PM

silver would be around, that's for sure. silver prices - not so confident.

i am satoshi
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 12:59:37 PM

Net worth <$10k = 100% BTC
$10 - $100k = 50% BTC, 50% silver
$100 - $500k = 25% BTC, 50% silver, 25% gold
$500k - $5M = maximum 5-10k BTC, rest split up 50/50 in silver & gold
more = have fun Smiley

I wonder why you're suggesting less BTC holdings in absulute terms for high-net-worth people than for the lowest-net-worth category?

I meant 5000-10000 BTC Smiley

Because I see not much point in holding more regardless how wealthy you are.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 01:14:28 PM

Soo, let me get this straight.. You guys want us to invest in silver?

Take a look at the short run.. If I had invested 10000$ (my savings) in silver when you posted this thread (at 29$), I would today have earned -20 $ (lost 20 dollars.. If I sold at current price of 28.94)

On the other side, if I invested in Bitcoin, I would have earned 3,333$...

How can you say silver beats Bitcoin? Do you have some insider knowledge about Bitcoin that makes you believe that it will somehow fail? I think not..

My 2c: Leave the PMs for what they are good at, looking pretty and electrical appliances. They are way outdated as a means of exchange..

You're kidding right? You think because silver hasn't done much for a couple weeks that it's a fail? It's been a store of value for thousands of years and you think this is the fortnight that makes or breaks it? The word silver literally means "money" in several languages. An ozt of silver has traded as low as $4.37 and as high as $48.70 within the last ten years. BTC doesn't even have ten years of data points for comparison, but it crashed and many counted it as dead and buried as recently as 2011.

This is not a week long competition, both silver and BTC are fantastic stores of value that complement each other. There's no reason to put all your eggs in a single basket.

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 09:48:58 PM

Depending upon the size of your savings, this is a reasonable split:

30% in shares: high-tech and agriculture
30% in gold and silver
30% in Bitcoin
10% in your domestic fiat

Basically a mixture for capital preservation, growth and quick access

rpietila
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
March 05, 2013, 10:33:59 PM

Depending upon the size of your savings, this is a reasonable split:

30% in shares: high-tech and agriculture
30% in gold and silver
30% in Bitcoin
10% in your domestic fiat

Basically a mixture for capital preservation, growth and quick access

Bitcoin is a mixture for capital preservation, growth and quick access, lol.

debianlinux

Activity: 221
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:10:26 PM

Silver doesn't need a telecommunications network to function.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:42:28 PM

Silver doesn't need a telecommunications network to function.
Bitcoins can't be confiscated at the border.
Jenger

Activity: 280

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:46:01 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Ht0rU4NSg

How can you knock silver?

Its showed annual gains each year for the last 10yrs. It has been around for thousands of years as a currency. Silver is the best electrical conductor there is meaning in order to produce electronics, you need silver.

So people use silver as jewelry, investment purposes, industrial purposes & more. You guys talking about btc are right in the sense that it gained enormous value seemingly overnight, but it wont have consistent gains like PM's. Silver + Gold is a long term investment. Something you buy today and don't worry about cashing in until 10, 15, 20yrs down the road.

creativex

View Profile
March 08, 2013, 06:32:59 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Ht0rU4NSg

How can you knock silver?

Its showed annual gains each year for the last 10yrs. It has been around for thousands of years as a currency. Silver is the best electrical conductor there is meaning in order to produce electronics, you need silver.

So people use silver as jewelry, investment purposes, industrial purposes & more. You guys talking about btc are right in the sense that it gained enormous value seemingly overnight, but it wont have consistent gains like PM's. Silver + Gold is a long term investment. Something you buy today and don't worry about cashing in until 10, 15, 20yrs down the road.

+1

Don't forget about one of the fastest growing applications of silver yet, solar panels. Panel manufacturers are huge consumers of silver and it's very unlikely it will ever be recovered once consumed.

Gold + Silver + BTC = solid investments. Diversify.

xxjs

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 10:53:52 AM

Don't forget about one of the fastest growing applications of silver yet, solar panels. Panel manufacturers are huge consumers of silver and it's very unlikely it will ever be recovered once consumed.

Silver being used in solar panels is use value, not exchange value. Silver is fast loosing its moneyness.  I think the silver bugs are fooled by history in believing silver is good for smaller transactions. The main reason silver was used as money, was that some kings had access to silver mines, and no gold. Plus, they could sometimes extract value out of their population by declaring only silver as money, hoard the gold, then declare only gold to be money. Anyway the gold to silver ratio was sometimes pegged. For instance, the arabs fixed the value 6:1 for hundreds of years, profiting on the carry trade between europe and the east (while at the same time it was 12:1 in Europe). Things like this could not tick now. Silver is goners as money.
vssa (OP)

Activity: 207
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 05:51:18 PM

Update:
Silver at 23,bitcoin at 106, what are you waiting for? Increase your real wealth now.
Bitcoin is in correction mode (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=238095.msg2530362#msg2530362)
Offensive difference is what we need silver for local bitcoin for global ,Next step crowdfunded mine purchase. Shocked

Recommended silver vendor:https://www.goldsilverbitcoin.com/index.php?plugin=wafp&controller=links&action=redirect&l=6&a=vssa

manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
June 23, 2013, 06:27:42 PM

Silver being used in solar panels is use value, not exchange value. Silver is fast loosing its moneyness.  I think the silver bugs are fooled by history in believing silver is good for smaller transactions. The main reason silver was used as money, was that some kings had access to silver mines, and no gold. Plus, they could sometimes extract value out of their population by declaring only silver as money, hoard the gold, then declare only gold to be money. Anyway the gold to silver ratio was sometimes pegged. For instance, the arabs fixed the value 6:1 for hundreds of years, profiting on the carry trade between europe and the east (while at the same time it was 12:1 in Europe). Things like this could not tick now. Silver is goners as money.
Silver as money has been gone for a long time,but  it is the second most used commodity in the world. Only Oil has more uses than Silver in the modern world. Its is daily needed right across the board.
PM have a lifespan of thousand of years, Fiats lifespan is centuries and bitcoins will be decades. You just need to look how fast the digital world moves. How much use would you have with a 486 machine in todays world? Well it was a mighty machine too.
I dare to say that Bitcoin cant even match a steam engine in terms of useful lifespan. A steam-engine was revolutionary and world changing on its day, but quickly outpaced. Today, enthusiast still operate steam engines in a hundred yeas no-one will use a bitcoin, not even enthusiasts.   
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 05:45:12 AM

Silver as money has been gone for a long time,but  it is the second most used commodity in the world. Only Oil has more uses than Silver in the modern world. Its is daily needed right across the board.
PM have a lifespan of thousand of years, Fiats lifespan is centuries and bitcoins will be decades. You just need to look how fast the digital world moves. How much use would you have with a 486 machine in todays world? Well it was a mighty machine too.
I dare to say that Bitcoin cant even match a steam engine in terms of useful lifespan. A steam-engine was revolutionary and world changing on its day, but quickly outpaced. Today, enthusiast still operate steam engines in a hundred yeas no-one will use a bitcoin, not even enthusiasts.   

A combustion engine is not much different from a steam engine if you look at the principles (and function).

A 486 was not an invention. Invention was the transistor and integrated circuit.

Cryptocurrency will be around in 100 years, I'm sure. It might even still be bitcoin. There will hopefully be some innovation improving upon the concept along the way, but the general idea is here to stay.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
manfred
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1001

Energy is Wealth

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 06:43:39 AM

A combustion engine is not much different from a steam engine if you look at the principles (and function).

A 486 was not an invention. Invention was the transistor and integrated circuit.

Cryptocurrency will be around in 100 years, I'm sure. It might even still be bitcoin. There will hopefully be some innovation improving upon the concept along the way, but the general idea is here to stay.

Crytocurrencys will be around in a 100 years nobody is disputing that, but Bitcoin wont be used that is sure. Looking at the speed the digital world moves any software looks dated after a couple of years. 30 years or more for a software yeh, right. The first spreadsheet program was a marvelous piece of software (what was the name again?).
The general idea is still there in a modern spreadsheet, but thats about it.
Frozenlock

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:10:33 AM

You can update software...

That's why I'm still using the world's most powerful text editor, even if it's super old.

Emacs.   Grin
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 07:25:53 AM

Exactly and Bitcoin is more like a protocol than a mere static implementation of code.

I mean we all know http is doomed and the world quickly moved on to ... er wait no we are still using http today.  Protocols tend to have a longer lifespan.  TCP is almost 30 years old.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 10:28:19 AM

Exactly and Bitcoin is more like a protocol than a mere static implementation of code.

I mean we all know http is doomed and the world quickly moved on to ... er wait no we are still using http today.  Protocols tend to have a longer lifespan.  TCP is almost 30 years old.

right, bitcoin is a protocol. as tcp/ip is the basis of the internet today, bitcoin will be the basis of financial transactions in the future. tcp/ip was created in 1974. microsoft and apple tried to come up with their own protocols. both failed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 24, 2013, 05:57:17 PM

right, bitcoin is a protocol. as tcp/ip is the basis of the internet today, bitcoin will be the basis of financial transactions in the future. tcp/ip was created in 1974. microsoft and apple tried to come up with their own protocols. both failed.

also novell and ibm?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: