Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 04:01:04 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are lost bitcoins lost for ever? Really?  (Read 1084 times)
nwbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 08:03:37 PM

Being new to this, I may have misunderstood an element of the infrastructure of bitcoins, so with that disclaimer, here is my query.

I assume that all coins appear on the blockchain at least once when they have been mined, so, would it be possible to highlight coins which have not been used for a long time or even more than once?

Is this possible?

If not, I would love someone to link me to a tutorial explaining the blockchain in a way that I may understand! Wink

Thanks

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 08:16:07 PM

Being new to this, I may have misunderstood an element of the infrastructure of bitcoins, so with that disclaimer, here is my query.

I assume that all coins appear on the blockchain at least once when they have been mined, so, would it be possible to highlight coins which have not been used for a long time or even more than once?

Is this possible?

If not, I would love someone to link me to a tutorial explaining the blockchain in a way that I may understand! Wink

Thanks

Quick answer before everyone flips out:

No, they are not forever lost. They still live where ever they were sent and it is "theoretically" possible to retrieve them but borders impossible.

No, there will never be a way to force move "inactive" coins as they maybe stored there on purpose as savings, ect Plus, do you really want people to have to power to forcibly steal your bitcoins? This has been discussed ad nauseum, so if you'd like to know more about this do a few searches on this forum.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
nwbitcoin (OP)

Activity: 294

You are a geek if you are too early to the party!

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 08:18:59 PM

Thank you!

Maybe I should have pressed the search button - I will do next time!

Smiley

*Image Removed*
I use Localbitcoins to sell bitcoins for GBP by bank transfer!
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 08:56:33 PM

Forever is a long time. You can grab the private key for any of the addresses before then.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1119
Merit: 1017

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
February 27, 2013, 11:36:49 PM

Coins that are not circulating - either because they are lost/inaccessible or because the owner doesn't spend them and holds to them - drive the bitcoin price up. Basically, the law of 'demand and supply' at work.
If too much bitcoins were lost it would urge the protocol adapted to have more than eight decimals, because the price could become too high.

It is certainly possible to find out how many coins have not been used during a certain time, and sort out information from the blockchain in all sorts of ways and with all sorts of parameters in analysis.

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
FTWbitcoinFTW

Activity: 476

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 11:39:48 PM

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more.  Think of it as a donation to everyone

Lost coins only make everyone else's coins worth slightly more. Think of it as a donation to everyone.
it has lots of buttery taste..
hazek
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 27, 2013, 11:51:07 PM

Here's a graph that shows this: http://statistics.ecdsa.org/

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be current.

My personality type: INTJ - please forgive my weaknesses (Not naturally in tune with others feelings; may be insensitive at times, tend to respond to conflict with logic and reason, tend to believe I'm always right)

If however you enjoyed my post: 15j781DjuJeVsZgYbDVt2NZsGrWKRWFHpp
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: