Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 02:27:52 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  

Warning: Moderators do not remove likely scams. You must use your own brain: caveat emptor. Watch out for Ponzi schemes. Do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [BTCTC][[ASICMINER-PT]] - Public trading of ASICMINER shares  (Read 74392 times)
Franktank

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 04:15:42 AM

I have quite a few already and am waiting to sell until we hit about 2.5BTC a share. aka. around the announcement of the USB auction and next blade volume.

Wow, I'm bullish about ASICMiner myself but 2.5 BTC/share by the next auction of ASICMiner blades? You must know something we all don't.
furuknap

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

http://coin.furuknap.net/

View Profile WWW
April 20, 2013, 04:21:23 AM

I like both, but one thing to keep in mind is that BTCT has very low limits for withdrawals. It can be very frustrating if you need your BTC fast, since sometimes it can take 8+ hours to have your funds released.

It cuts both ways; the limit prevents a hacker from emptying your account. Myself, I keep funds for liquidity somewhere else and only transfer to BTCT (or other places) when I have decided what I want to purchase. Getting profits out may take a bit, but I think the added security counters that somewhat.

.b

TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 21, 2013, 01:26:39 AM

I like both, but one thing to keep in mind is that BTCT has very low limits for withdrawals. It can be very frustrating if you need your BTC fast, since sometimes it can take 8+ hours to have your funds released.

It cuts both ways; the limit prevents a hacker from emptying your account. Myself, I keep funds for liquidity somewhere else and only transfer to BTCT (or other places) when I have decided what I want to purchase. Getting profits out may take a bit, but I think the added security counters that somewhat.

.b

Exactly my sentiment. I don't mind the manual withdrawal and limits at all. I throw money in when I want to make a trade, keep most liquid and when I want to 'cash out' I sell and take my time. I would rather have 50BTC take me a few days to withdraw then see them disappear in an instant if compromised.
Trillian

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 03:09:15 PM

I'm interested to know how the ASICMINER stock will evolve in the next three years, so I'm asking myself the following questions:

1) What are the projections for the future of this stock?
2) What is the end game?
3) Will this stock still exist in a year's time?
4) Will the stock be diluted again with new shares?
5) What are the projections for the increase stages of the MH/s per share?

With the 50TH/s ASICMINER expansion soon on the table, and 125 MH/s per share we are looking at ฿0.05/week/share at current difficulty. The 51% avert capping and ASIC expansion by other miners will erode this potential dividend significantly due to difficulty increase.

If ASICMINER can maintain their processing share over the next year then investors entering the ASICMINER-PT offering now can recover their investment in that time at a dividend of ฿0.02/week/share for 12*4=48 weeks. The value might be in the stock itself and not necessarily the dividend, but I wonder how one can position oneself to profit best from cryptocurrencies in the next year.
Franktank

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 03:23:34 PM

I'm interested to know how the ASICMINER stock will evolve in the next three years, so I'm asking myself the following questions:

2) What is the end game?

With the 50TH/s ASICMINER expansion soon on the table, and 125 MH/s per share we are looking at ฿0.05/week/share at current difficulty. The 51% avert capping and ASIC expansion by other miners will erode this potential dividend significantly due to difficulty increase.

If ASICMINER can maintain their processing share over the next year then investors entering the ASICMINER-PT offering now can recover their investment in that time at a dividend of ฿0.02/week/share for 12*4=48 weeks. The value might be in the stock itself and not necessarily the dividend, but I wonder how one can position oneself to profit best from cryptocurrencies in the next year.

1) If you find out, let the rest of us know.
2) Moar bitcoins; some healthy combination of mining and selling ASIC device
3) Current shareholders hope so
4) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg1692732#msg1692732
5) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg1767379#msg1767379 [NOTE: Deployment schedule is still up in the air]
furuknap

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2013, 03:46:24 PM

2) What is the end game?

First of all, how did you get here without the minimum 5 newbie posts? I don't mind, I just wonder how that's done :-)

I've been trying to figure out ASICMiner for a while now. I am a current investor, but I'll admit I bought at much lower rates than current trades from ignorance, not from any foresight. To remedy that, I've started with some further investigations. I'm overall a complete novice in investing; I use cryptocoin investments to learn. I haven't lost any money yet, but that's just dumb luck, not skill.

I think the cryptostock investors are blessed or cursed with a high risk, high reward market only, where even the most low-risk investments one can make, such as AM, would still scare Satan's investment advisor if he had one. A traditional investor would probably not touch AM with a ten foot pole, but compared to other investments, it's as safe as... and there I was about to say 'the bank'.

In any case, what intrigues me with AM is its ability and flexibility to harness a rapidly shifting market, both in terms of exchange rates (selling hardware when prices in USD go up, mining when prices go down) and in terms of capacity (selling to stay south of any 51% limit, mining to stay competitive).

From what I've seen after reading friedcat's updates during the previous months, they care about the community but manages to include business sense into that care. Compared to many other companies in the crypto world, they are well managed, semi transparent, keeps (mostly) the promises and schedules they make, and enjoys a good reputation.

They are also early in the market. Where some other competitors only now or later have real products, AM has had products in production for a while and has gained very valuable experience. This knowledge is worth its weight in gold (and again with those horrible metaphores; knowledge doesn't weigh anything and gold is crashing), especially in an arms race where a month may make or break a business model.

These are factors that I feel favor AM as an investment. However, there are downsides as well.

First, I don't understand the business of selling of hardware. That is, I understand why AM sells, but I cannot understand the buyers in this situation, and that worries me. We've seen insane prices for AM hardware, but is that a sustainable level or are we just seeing an initial buyer rush? Can AM keep selling hardware profitably if prices go up, say to US$500 or will that kill the BTC-denominated sales?

This brings me to my second worry; I don't know anything about the AM accounting books. Are their expenses denominated in BTC or USD? How does a fluctuating exchange rate affect their business model? Will a crash in BTC price cause massive drains on BTC resources? Does AM maintain USD assets for paying expenses denominated in USD?

And speaking of expenses, what are they? This speaks to your question 4. Will AM require further financing to develop the next generation of chips? I've seen the post from friedcat about not deluting the current AM investors, but I cannot understand how we can make such a promise. If BTC/USD crashes, the price an investor would have to pay in BTC/share would be insane, and it would be extremely difficult to find someone wou'd be interested.

I greatly appreciate friedcat's updates and have learned plenty from them, but there still, as far as I have been able to determine, has not been published any business plan, updated financial reports, and other reports that traditional companies would publish, such as market updates, future prospects, ROI on investments and chip generations, and so on.

Overall, I'm positive (keep in mind, I am an investor so I benefit from you believing that too), but the risks involved and the lack of transparency worries me, as a new investor.

.b

ex-trader

Activity: 298

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 04:03:39 PM

To me it's very simple. Provided ASICMiner is not over-valued (I don't believe it is and showed proof earlier), then I'd rather hold some Bitcoins in a share that yields a dividend with a solid actual business, rather than Bitcoins which yield zero.
TheSwede75

Activity: 224

View Profile
April 22, 2013, 10:18:53 PM

To me it's very simple. Provided ASICMiner is not over-valued (I don't believe it is and showed proof earlier), then I'd rather hold some Bitcoins in a share that yields a dividend with a solid actual business, rather than Bitcoins which yield zero.

This + ASICMINER management has a VERY solid track record. I cannot think about any other BTC-stock that has the intellectual capital of ASICMINER, and for me that and the trust that comes with it is worth a hefty premium.
Franktank

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 04:45:00 AM

Just wanted to throw some major props to Burnside's passthru, he transferred ONE (1) ASICMiner share for me. I recommend for any and all newcomers interested in purchasing ASICMiner shares!
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:15:10 AM

Just wanted to throw some major props to Burnside's passthru, he transferred ONE (1) ASICMiner share for me. I recommend for any and all newcomers interested in purchasing ASICMiner shares!
Shh...now you'll get more people transferring their lone share too.   Tongue
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 05:29:59 AM

Meanwhile, friedcat starts thinking of charging a fee per transfer.. Tongue
burnside (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1006

Lead Blockchain Developer

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 06:59:40 AM

He'd make a fortune!

Previous record was 7, it'll be hard to beat just one.  Wink

Zedster

Activity: 182

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:13:07 AM

Previous record was 7, it'll be hard to beat just one.  Wink

What advantage do you actually receive beside not paying the small fee to burnie? Because I do have a half share I am thinking would be better under Friedcat's control.  Wink

MonkeyMarcel

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 07:21:54 AM

@Burnside What happens to my shares value when ASICMINER stops operating. If I understand correctly they will be bought back at the IPO price of 0.65BTC/share?

Also, what could happen if for example a new revolutionary ASIC miner comes out that makes the current mining mashines obsolete, could it be possible that my shares' value go down to below the 0.65BTC/share?
burnside (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 07:52:07 AM

@Burnside What happens to my shares value when ASICMINER stops operating. If I understand correctly they will be bought back at the IPO price of 0.65BTC/share?

Also, what could happen if for example a new revolutionary ASIC miner comes out that makes the current mining mashines obsolete, could it be possible that my shares' value go down to below the 0.65BTC/share?

I'm guessing you're getting 0.65/share from the initial pricing on the 1000 shares that the passthru started with?  That was a one-time deal, and does not in any way represent a minimal or buyback value to be associated with those initial 1000 shares, nor the roughly 10,000 shares added since.  I can see where there might be some confusion though, because at the time it was all or nothing on those 1000 shares.  If I didn't sell them, I was going to have to refund everyone and shut down the passthru.  Thankfully things went the opposite direction, all 1000 shares sold, and the passthru has been well received.

The shares in the passthru represent shares in ASICMINER one to one.

With that in mind, if the underlying ASICMINER shares drop to a value of zero, then so would the shares on the passthru.

Cheers.
kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 02:15:17 PM

This would be good for the PTs no? people will start trading in the PTs instead of paying hefty transfer fee to trade privately. This would also take some burnden off Friedcat since I can imagine managing all these share transfers must be a nightmare, i wouldn't want to do it.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
burnside (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 07:58:18 PM

Div's paid, 0.00773063 BTC per share  Wink

Cheers.

JahPowerBit

Activity: 335
Merit: 255

Counterparty Developer

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 08:11:58 PM

Cheers.

Thanks!!
furuknap

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2013, 11:26:31 AM

Cheers.

Cheers all around, yes, and thank you!

.b

mobile

Activity: 400

the sun is shining, but the ice is still slippery

View Profile
April 26, 2013, 06:03:26 AM

Div's paid, 0.00773063 BTC per share  Wink

Cheers.

Cheers all around, yes, and thank you!

.b

Thank you!
And to Burnside,friedcat Shareholders & the Crypto-Community. Cheers....

1MoBi1eNbqh8QMuvtZjYzQGV8NEckJJYcT rep|GnuPG <3 CLAM <3
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 »
  Print  

Jump to: