Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 11:40:10 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone please make a steem clone  (Read 14345 times)
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
August 03, 2016, 01:09:31 PM

Here is the proposed definition (and instruction to voters) of the meaning of an upvote and downvote for the project Webrary (intended to be an improvement over Steem) I am now developing. I want to vet this with y'all, since I am designing the internal algorithms around these. Note Webrary won't be the final name, but I can't mention the final one since don't own the .com domain yet. Like Steem/Steemit there will be separate names for the blockchain/UI respectively. The former name is similar to Webrary, and the latter one is more catchy and has more mass appeal than Steemit.

Voting is the way you control the rankings of the future content you will see. An upvote or downvote is not a weapon to express agreement nor disagreement, nor to judge the value of the content to the overall project. Rather it should reflect whether you personally want to continue to be exposed to content (and the community it engenders) similar to the content you are voting on. An upvote or downvote will not cause the ranking of the content to change for voters who disagree with your content preferences. If you vote for political objectives intending to suppress or enhance visibility of the content for others and not for your preferences, then the type of content visible to you will become a groupthink monotone that fools you into believing everyone agrees with you, while others who disagree with you will continue to see the diversity of content that interests them. Indecision on your part should be reflected in a non-vote. Unlike Steem, voting remains open indefinitely and there is no curation penalty for voting later, so you may vote later once you've made up your mind.

Steemians are realizing I was correct:

The meaning of downvote has to change to "I don't want to read content and ensuring discussion like this". It needs to be a personal relevance tool, not a globalized ranking. I am working on this change.
iamnotback

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 02:52:34 AM
Last edit: August 04, 2016, 03:43:39 AM by iamnotback

The joy of re-entering the career of coding and rediscovering the kafkaesque wonders of (standards) committees¹:

https://github.com/whatwg/console/issues/63
https://github.com/nodejs/node-eps/issues/13#issuecomment-222989505

¹
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2016, 04:45:18 AM

Steemians are realizing I was correct:

The meaning of downvote has to change to "I don't want to read content and ensuring discussion like this". It needs to be a personal relevance tool, not a globalized ranking. I am working on this change.

There's a great short story in James Joyce's Dubliners in which a man outlines his life in comparison to an old acquaintance he's recently met again. The man looks at his life: his family and work and enviously compares it to his acquaintance's writing success. The irony is that if the man had laid out his life honestly (as Joyce did in the story) he would have had a literary success--at least with that story (@highlite, I hope saw that effect of with result of his post).

I'm sure the voting system can be tweaked for better outcomes for the site and user, I don't think it will be a one-size-fits-all solution--unless it allows for a more user defined experience.

BTCwriter
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 06:14:41 AM

I hate clones, so I never thought I'd say this: Please make a Steem clone

Despite it's obvious flaws, Steem has shown us how we can get Joe and Jane into crypto. Steem will fail of course for reasons discussed in other threads, but a clone that fixes the issues could become a huge success. I would certainly throw a few btc at it if it had a dev with good reputation.

I don't think most people really care about Steem much.
iamnotback

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 08:17:05 AM

Despite it's obvious flaws, Steem has shown us how we can get Joe and Jane into crypto. Steem will fail of course for reasons discussed in other threads, but a clone that fixes the issues could become a huge success. I would certainly throw a few btc at it if it had a dev with good reputation.

That might be a myopic mistake, especially if you mean the concept itself, not Steem's flaws such as the 90% "pre"-mine and the entire lack of a medium-term investment option.

If the concept is designed and implemented correctly, I am speculating it would potentially be headed to double-digits $billion market cap at least.

Has the potential to popularize crypto-currency.

Thanks for sharing your opinion; and I am interested to read if you still think that most people should ignore the Steem concept and why?
raphma

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 02:27:33 PM

saying that is like "people dont care about reddit" or "people dont care about bitcointalk". IMO Social medias are always relevant, they hold "great powers" in our world, and by power i mean money and information.
iamnotback

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 04:42:36 PM

Something important Steem might attempt to do, or perhaps a clone could do:

https://steemit.com/blockchain/@anonymint/improving-web-browser-security-with-a-steem-like-blockchain
crypto jerk

Activity: 236
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 06:02:06 PM

That might be a myopic mistake, especially if you mean the concept itself, not Steem's flaws such as the 90% "pre"-mine and the entire lack of a medium-term investment option.

If the concept is designed and implemented correctly, I am speculating it would potentially be headed to double-digits $billion market cap at least.

Has the potential to popularize crypto-currency.

Thanks for sharing your opinion; and I am interested to read if you still think that most people should ignore the Steem concept and why?

Steem.it to me seems to be one big clusterfuck. Bottom line, its confusing as all hell. Power up, power down, different steam tokens, inflation, funds locked in, really really stupid posts make money. Why the fuck would anyone buy that shit? Hey look i'm experiencing the world, pay me.. What is steem doing for the world that fixes a need?

A browse through the site makes me feel like I wasted time that I'll never get back. And the worst thing, people keep advertising the tits. Where are they at? The boobs that people upvoted. Why is there no boob section?
Lame.
crypto jerk

Activity: 236

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 06:51:06 PM

Facebook became successful because of the original scamsters, goldmansachs and their bs ipo. That is what pushed facebook into the front.

Around the same time non technical idiots, the soccer moms of the world (who send those god awful chain letters) and even some grandmas figured put you could post pics, like your childrens pics, monitor your family. Etc.

Facebook became uncool instantly but the use case skyrocketed cause every lame untechnical idiot could start voicing their opinion.

But try to explain steem.it to these folks.

So you get paid to post shit. Ok. Everyone likes money.
But wait, mostly only tits get paid, never mind that, you get paid for doing jack shit.

But I want to cash out my new money, what the fuck is steem power and why is half my pay in that? Now everyone keeps telling me to power up some of my funds and powerdown others. What the fuck? i can only learn so much at once and pokemon go is really all I want to do.

Tldr, steem is fucking to confusing of a skeme to use
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
August 04, 2016, 07:26:51 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2016, 02:07:06 AM by generalizethis

Why you're bitching, I'm gonna give stuff away.

https://steemit.com/giveaway/@generalizethis/free-monero

baggle

Activity: 240

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 07:37:42 PM

There already is some project close to Steem being developped, named Newbium https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1418497.0

Newbium is different to Steem that it focus on crypto, proposing tools to follow currencies in real time.

It goes the same way as Steem, with rewarding user posting content, there is currently a posting bounty occuring.

I have some coins in this project, and believe it can go far, considering the project is promising, and that Newbium team's working good and is reactive.

If some people wanna go in, i let you know that NEWB_ETH tokens will be launched on an exchange relatively soon (they've been distributed recently), and that you can already buy NEWB_NXT tokens on c-cex.

https://coins.newbium.com/ & http://newbium.com/

Smiley

iamnotback

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 02:02:01 AM

There already is some project close to Steem being developped, named Newbium https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1418497.0

Newbium is different to Steem that it focus on crypto, proposing tools to follow currencies in real time.

It goes the same way as Steem, with rewarding user posting content, there is currently a posting bounty occuring.

They are apparently implementing tipping model where presumably the funds are taken from the tipper's wallet:

These followers and viewers can tip the Newbies cryptocurrencies for their valuable service.The more value a Newbie generates for it users the more tips the Newbie will receive from Newbium users.

Tipping (from the users' wallets) doesn't work due to the cognitive load it places on the users' frequent activity as explained in the following resources:

http://hackingdistributed.com/2014/12/17/changetip-must-die/

...users still hate the experience of being nickeled and dimed for everything that they do...It doesn’t matter how good the service is, people expect certain things to be free...

All of these approaches boil down to micropayments. They differ only in who is making the payment. They all suffer from insufficient engagement of people making the micropayments. In the search for incentivised content production entrepreneurs have been so focused on who should pay that they missed the obvious reality: everyone benefits from everyone’s actions so everyone should pay or no one should pay, depending on how you look at it.

Steem bypasses micropayments completely because when a user upvotes a post it is the community that pays the bill. The same amount of money will be spent whether the user upvotes a post or not and the funds will not come from the voter. The mental energy associated with making an economic decision becomes a barrier to participation for most people.

...The only transactions that users can approve without thought are ones that cost them nothing...

Steem's unique feature is that it charges the cost of tipping (rewards) to everyone via debasement of the money supply, so that users don't really have to think about how much or whether they should tip. This is what makes it work, where all others have failed. If you don't understand this, then you won't understand why the concept of Steem is very important.

Make sure you watch this:

https://youtu.be/rkQ7b-u8_6g?t=489  (Sourced from here)

I also see that Newbium runs on the Ethereum and Nxt blockchains, so it won't be able to scale the content that Steem is.
iamnotback

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 04:06:26 AM

https://steemit.com/blockchain/@anonymint/improving-web-browser-security-with-a-steem-like-blockchain

I elaborated on why the above may be very important.
iamnotback

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 04:21:48 AM

Bottom line, its confusing as all hell. Power up, power down, different steam tokens, inflation, funds locked in,

I agree the design creates unnecessary confusion, because I think I've figured out how to achieve the same goals and restructured it so it is more straight forward and have clearer incentives for all involved parties (e.g. minnows, professional bloggers, medium and long-term investors, etc).

This and the voting relevance algorithm are the two of the areas where I think could provide significant innovation to Steem.

Btw, please note that I think I am transitioning to a plan wherein I will try to innovate and then I will also keep open the possibility that if Steem is winning in the market, then I can retain the option to be lured by them to try to assist in bringing my innovations to Steem. Note some of my innovations would perhaps be resisted by Steem's vested interests, thus it is necessary for me to demonstrate my innovations in the market in order to force a competitive outcome. So I really need to go compete in order to innovate Steem either from the outside or within Steem, which ever way it ends of working out in the market.

I am trying to work myself to earning a position of importance in this genre of blockchain development.

really really stupid posts make money. Why the fuck would anyone buy that shit? Hey look i'm experiencing the world, pay me.. What is steem doing for the world that fixes a need?

They are building a community that appeals to their community albeit I think the relevance targeting to users could be innovated in order to better diversify to the masses.

If you deny they are onboarding significant members of the crypto community and its first degree of relations, then you are not being objective in spite of partial validity of your concern.

A browse through the site makes me feel like I wasted time that I'll never get back. And the worst thing, people keep advertising the tits. Where are they at? The boobs that people upvoted. Why is there no boob section?
Lame.

For example, I am finding relevant discussion of Steemit's design and marketing factors.

I agree the firehouse is spraying a lot of water where it probably isn't more optimally targeted, but it isn't a total failure.
bitcoincar

Activity: 275

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2016, 05:17:08 AM

I have been working on a similar project that I was planning to announce later this month, but since I keep seeing this thread popup I decided to make the announcement a little earlier. The project is called Postbase ( www.postbase.co) Postbase is a decentralized social bookmarking and funding platform that groups content in a similar fashion to Reddit. I'm putting together a more detailed announcement to post under Announcements.

iamnotback

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 05:38:30 AM
Last edit: August 05, 2016, 07:06:07 AM by iamnotback

I have been working on a similar project that I was planning to announce later this month, but since I keep seeing this thread popup I decided to make the announcement a little earlier. The project is called Postbase ( www.postbase.co) Postbase is a decentralized social bookmarking and funding platform that groups content in a similar fashion to Reddit. I'm putting together a more detailed announcement to post under Announcements.

Economic and algorithmic details are missing. Are you going to release a detailed white paper before ICO? Are you going to ICO vaporware?

Shouldn't you at least have a rudimentary system running and very detailed white paper before doing an ICO?

I have to decide whether to join you or compete with you, so I need to see the details.

What is your LinkedIn account Carmey Harvey?

You apparently thought of postbase, before I registered peerbase (for me the idea comes from the amigobase.com domain I held years ago). I have veered away from that *base concept for a name, because I don't think it appeals emotionally to the masses and it isn't that brandable because there can exist so many *base copycats. Also many people think of "post office" or a pole in the ground when they see the word post, not the technical meaning to post something online. Also I don't think the concept of Steem is going to remain confined to posting content, but will widen into more a diverse set. Edit: but is not a horrible name. It is perhaps adequate.
iamnotback

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 06:12:17 AM

Why I think the Steem Dollars are pointless:

I think the Steem Dollar is an entirely unneeded aspect of the Steem concept, because early adopters will be investing in the future of the concept and not view their activity on the site as business cash flow.

By the time it mainstreams to the adoption where mainstream businesses are using it for business cash flow, the unpegged token should have much reduced volatility and it will have become its own unit-of-account.

For as long as crypto-currency remains hinged to fiat as a slave, then it will simply be extraction of capital out of the system back into the fiat system. We have to cross the chasm instead.
bitcoincar

Activity: 275

View Profile WWW
August 05, 2016, 06:43:23 AM

Economic and algorithmic details are missing. Are you going to release a detailed white paper before ICO? Are you going to ICO vaporware?

Shouldn't you at least have a rudimentary system running and very detailed white paper before doing an ICO?

I have to decide whether to join you or compete with you, so I need to see the details.

What is your LinkedIn account Carmey Harvey?

You apparently thought of postbase, before I registered peerbase (for me the idea comes from the amigobase.com domain I held years ago). I have veered away from that *base concept for a name, because I don't think it appeals emotionally to the masses and it isn't that brandable because there can exist so many *base copycats. Also many people think of "post office" or a pole in the ground when they see the word post, not the technical meaning to post something online. Also I don't think the concept of Steem is going to remain confined to posting content, but will widen into more a diverse set.

My LinkedIn account is https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmenh. Looks like I registered my domain about a month before you registered yours, I also registered the bitcointalk username "postbase" in June.

iamnotback

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 06:59:28 AM

My LinkedIn account is https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmenh.

I'll await more details on Postbase before deciding whether to pursue private communication. Good luck with your progress. I wondering if you're part-time while also still holding down your day job.
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
August 05, 2016, 09:07:06 AM

That made it to the (bottom of the) front page. Nice work. Hard to compete with boobs though.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: