Bitcoin Forum
July 09, 2024, 10:08:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone please make a steem clone  (Read 14345 times)
PatioCrasher

Activity: 101
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 09:01:11 AM

Dude you do not have to explain yourself or say you interfering.. Totally cool to give your 2cents and freedom of speech.

I have already recouped my stake because of exactly the reasons above (generic reply from dev, no white paper, no PR) ..

The source code is published under the MIT licence so maybe it is worth your time to see at least some aspects of their code .  Perhaps you will find some small valuable things you did not think of to add to your study in this area.

I think a fair distribution does not look like mask currently .. But then again, all crypto's are plagued with similar issues from unfair mining advantages to unfair ICOs.  But I guess nature is un fair as well.

But yes this dev could have made some more effort explaining this coin with a decent ann and some other info.  There is a small help section on the maskbuzz site but no info on the devs or delegates.   

The web node maskbuzz is amazing (in my eyes in terms of user experience) but they can just shut down at a moments notice and all masknetwork would have is pvt/public keys and no activity as most users will not be able to export public keys (due to not being educated about crypto).

I have even tried to get a dev to set up my own node but alas it did not work and I was un able to compile. 

Anyhoo : I will follow your progress in this field of study and look forward to the results you find iamnotback. 
salmanahmedone

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 09:12:42 AM

Because many of the things that you describe would either need to be or need under them a side-chain to control the price per action or whatever it is that you pick up and do with the coin.
NiceTea

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 05:01:01 PM

Maskbuzz.com was offline for quite some times in the past, but for the last days it was running smoothly.

Its a pretty good alternative for people who missed the Steemit train. Maskbuzz is still at the very beginning!
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 03, 2016, 08:42:08 PM

"missed the Steemit train"

Ya know, STEEM is only trading at only 300% of June levels when no one had heard of it...
Considering how much smooth, professional progress they've made since then...
And the upcoming HF 14 and 15 which includes built-in escrow and enhancements for sidechains/subchains...
STEEM is not exactly expensive anymore.

http://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/steem/#charts

Again, the "blogging" is worthless and a Trojan Horse...
Any app can be (easily) built on top of the STEEM network (which is the whole point).
iamnotback

Activity: 336
Merit: 265

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 12:28:50 AM
Last edit: September 04, 2016, 12:45:59 AM by iamnotback

Considering how much smooth..

Are you missing an @ there?

Any app can be (easily) built on top of the STEEM network (which is the whole point).

I wrote the following in private today:

"... Steem is likely to morph into other things, except my concern is that the problem is the game theory over the competition for rewards. Really who has the incentive to go build massive ecosystem projects on top of Steem blockchain, when the concentration of control and ownership is so skewed. So it seems the economics is going to continue to drive whales towards extraction, although they will need to obscure their activity behind sockpuppets and even convince themselves they are doing good with ideological BS such as that recent blog post @dantheman wrote.

Also regarding #1, I think it is likely that as it becomes apparent that there is no viral onboarding, then the push to extract (while hiding it) will become greater. For as long as there exists some hope, then the cohension is maintained somewhat. But as the reality becomes more stark, then the rational activity is to try to not be the last one who didn't maximize extraction of value. That is just game theory. If one whale defects, then the others must too, unless they can detect his defection and nullify it. Any way, it is going to be an interesting experiment.

Obviously if  a whale is successfully hiding his extraction, then perhaps there is no additional push for those who are unaware and blissfully not maximizing extraction...

@misgivings might be an extraction sockpuppet.

Blogging can't be the main economic activity, because blogging doesn't comprise significant value for the user. There is an oversupply of blogs, and it is not the case that users will ever pay to read a blog."

To elaborate, any app you want to build on top of Steem, will suffer from its content reward economics being controlled by the same whales.

Its a pretty good alternative for people who missed the Steemit train. Maskbuzz is still at the very beginning!

Why would anyone think a clone of the same Trojan horse game can be hoisted again against Steem and its significant momentum? The crypto faithful aren't going to leave Steem to go do the same activity on a clone (which doesn't even rectify the distribution problem among other aspects).

If you want to challenge Steem, you need to innovate.
ironm@n

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2016, 09:37:36 PM

What about Synereo? An opinion on this? I know it's a different platform, but I believe they have similarities.
I believe that users may be rewarded in some way using the platform, but correct me if I'm wrong.
PatioCrasher

Activity: 101

View Profile
September 05, 2016, 06:23:53 AM

No1 USE  MASKNETWORK!!!

I just lost all my coins on there.  MY addressees just vanished.  After I had bought some coin.  How convenient! What a scam..  EVERYONE STAY AWAY FROM MASKNETWORK..  I thought it was legit but they took all my coins.
iamnotback

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 02:30:45 AM
Last edit: September 09, 2016, 11:19:26 AM by iamnotback

Still coding.

My new code is of course in a private repository.

Medium's stats support my belief that vast majority of readers do not want to write blogs. And the vast majority of social networking users don't even want to read blogs!

I don't think the censorship issue is even in the consciousness of most readers and even bloggers.

Thus I conclude Steem has not found any low-hanging viral fruit.

I would not prefer to be blogging on Steem (as compared to a replacement for Steem that wasn't reliant on whales and note I am coding such now), because I am totally dependent on the whales, both for my reward, visibility and also for the security of the blockchain.
iamnotback

View Profile
September 09, 2016, 06:52:09 PM

FYI, the untruncated history is here, which can also be employed for any Github user. Although it is not as real-time as the quoted link.
Zer0Sum
Legendary

Activity: 1588

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 09:44:39 AM

Medium's stats support my belief that vast majority of readers do not want to write blogs. And the vast majority of social networking users don't even want to read blogs!

I don't think the censorship issue is even in the consciousness of most readers and even bloggers.

I would not prefer to be blogging on Steem (as compared to a replacement for Steem that wasn't reliant on whales and note I am coding such now), because I am totally dependent on the whales, both for my reward, visibility and also for the security of the blockchain.

This pretty much sums it up nicely. Even cheap lotto tickets are not viral, but boring.

But at least Steemit continues to expand their very detailed stats...
And has stabilized at 4-5K daily users (of which about 1K are multiple or bot accounts)...
So we are talking 3,500 daily users... almost certainly more than use Ethereum daily.

Dan can kill off God and spout all the faux "revolutionary" rhetoric he wants...
But unless he deprecates the offensive, elitist Whale Culture by HF some form of redistribution...
Steemit's fatal flaw will dead-end the platform (and decimate the value of whale accounts).
criptix
Legendary

Activity: 2464
Merit: 1145

View Profile
September 10, 2016, 10:44:15 AM

This pretty much sums it up nicely. Even cheap lotto tickets are not viral, but boring.

But at least Steemit continues to expand their very detailed stats...
And has stabilized at 4-5K daily users (of which about 1K are multiple or bot accounts)...
So we are talking 3,500 daily users... almost certainly more than use Ethereum daily.

Dan can kill off God and spout all the faux "revolutionary" rhetoric he wants...
But unless he deprecates the offensive, elitist Whale Culture by HF some form of redistribution...
Steemit's fatal flaw will dead-end the platform (and decimate the value of whale accounts).

Are you sure the numbers are correct?
Steemit went down like 85% so the rewards should have went down too no?
And rewards were the only thing getting people on board.

█████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ██████
                ██████
               ██████
              ██████
             ██████
            ██████
           ██████
          ██████
         ██████
        ██████    ██████████████████▄
       ██████     ███████████████████
      ██████                   █████
  ██████
 ███████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
 ████████████████████████████████████

█████
                     ██████
                    ██████
                   ██████
                  ██████
                 ████████████████████
                 ▀██████████████████▀
.LATTICE - A New Paradigm of Decentralized Finance.

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄████▄▄   ▄
█▄          ██████████▀▄
███        ███████████▀
▐████▄     ██████████▌
▄▄██████▄▄▄▄█████████▌
▀████████████████████
  ▀█████████████████
  ▄▄███████████████
   ▀█████████████▀
    ▄▄█████████▀
▀▀██████████▀
    ▀▀▀▀▀
iamnotback

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 09:57:04 AM

Another reason I have reduced my posting activity.
nextgencoin
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
September 17, 2016, 08:56:07 PM

This is better than a Steemit clone. Monetizing podcasting!

COVAL based on a loyalty network is going to release an app called VOCAL in about a month that essentially monetizes podcasting. Podcasting has struggled even more than blogging to produce a revenue stream as people don't want to listen to audio adverts which are a pain to produce anyway unlike google ads revenue. I see it as having even more potential than Steemit it they pull it off well. What do you think?

https://mobile.twitter.com/circuitsofvalue/status/768994220153659393
alexrey

Activity: 70

View Profile
September 18, 2016, 02:10:54 AM

This is better than a Steemit clone. Monetizing podcasting!

COVAL based on a loyalty network is going to release an app called VOCAL in about a month that essentially monetizes podcasting. Podcasting has struggled even more than blogging to produce a revenue stream as people don't want to listen to audio adverts which are a pain to produce anyway unlike google ads revenue. I see it as having even more potential than Steemit it they pull it off well. What do you think?

https://mobile.twitter.com/circuitsofvalue/status/768994220153659393

It seems really have some good potential if properly developed.

ICONOMI — Fund Management Platform  ❘|❘ ICO ❘|❘ DISCUSSION
iamnotback

View Profile
October 14, 2016, 07:47:05 AM
Last edit: October 14, 2016, 10:45:24 AM by iamnotback

I'm still coding...

Perhaps readers need a summary to perk their interest.

The point is that if you want to sell internationally, then the payment providers are not going to be able to handle your business. You will need to accept something else. But what else?

We need a crypto-currency that is in the hands of millions and easily accessible for international commerce.
alyssa85
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 16, 2016, 03:36:31 PM

If you guys are looking for a competitor to STEEM you should take a look at NEWBIUM. It's crypto content focused, but similar ideas of paying content providers with tokens based on attention, votes, etc

I checked Newbium - it is not very liquid - only 6$ was traded yesterday. See

https://coinmarketcap.com/assets/newbium/#markets

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit InvestBox.|.BUY X10 AND EARN 10% DAILY.🏆
iamnotback

View Profile
October 31, 2016, 07:56:49 AM

back on topic.  ARK, it's going to be the best project of 2017.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1649695.0

Okay this is the first serious Steem clone. And this is a serious competitor to the project I am working on.

But I see they've already made the critical error of choosing voting as the reward and onboarding paradigm. Thus I am not worried. I will defeat this project.

Thanks for the competition. This lights a fire under my butt.

They have a significantly diverse team. But if you study carefully, they don't have many top 1000 programmers, maybe not any of those guys. That doesn't mean they can't produce something good. Looks like they have some technical progress.

But there aren't so many Satoshis in this world.

This is good competition for me. Thanks.
iamnotback

View Profile
November 02, 2016, 03:36:42 AM

About the proposed Boost language tangent that I got dragged into in early September and extracting myself from that blackhole:

https://github.com/keean/zenscript/issues/11#issuecomment-257667869 (read only the linked comment post)

https://github.com/keean/zenscript/issues/13#issuecomment-257757157 (read the linked plus following two comment posts)
iamnotback

View Profile
November 04, 2016, 01:30:06 AM

Potential significance of a totally different kind of Steem "clone":

Re: China putting capital controls on BTC! (lol)

Afaics, the only practical technical way this can be accomplished is to ensure that the users never hold the private keys and thus ensuring that the exchanges do not allow any transfers to any Bitcoin address which is not controlled by the exchange (or another compliant exchange). To ensure that no exchange user can reside outside of China and that no such user can withdraw in fiat outside of the Chinese banking system. If they were to allow users to control private keys, then they would have to enforce such tracking on each user which is impractical to enforce.

Thus this proposal means that the Chinese could no longer participate in for example a social network (such as the project I am working on) where the crypto-currency moves from user-to-user regardless of their financial jurisdiction and in which the users control their private keys.

In other words, China would effectively be removing their citizens from the Bitcoin (and crypto-currency) ecosystem.

I don't see any way they can do this and not render China a 2nd class citizen on the future of the Internet economics. They will stunt the development of their own Internet software technology sector.

If China was going to do this, I think they would have done it a long time ago. I would tend to think this is some rumor put out there by those who wanted to make a lot of money shorting. Another sign that the corruption in governance also exists in the government of China's finance bureaucrats (and who would be surprised). Nevertheless before this could actually become a regulation, I think very astute people would have to sign off on it, and I just don't see China shooting themselves in the foot. They are too cunning for that. That Bloomberg has pulled the news off their website is another indication that this was probably malfeasance.

I see this as very likely a buying opportunity and a bear trap due to some errant malfeasance within the Chinese bureaucracy.

And also that the China's oligarchy control over Bitcoin mining and price is growing. If true, this corrupt influence over Bitcoin is what Bitcoin was supposed to eliminate. But the problem is Satoshi's proof-of-work design naturally centralizes due to economies-of-scale. I have a video which explains this in some detail. And also we can see the control over the exchanges by governments is another choke point of control leading to such malfeasance.

We need to do something about this technically. I am working on it. I have a design for unprofitable proof-of-work to address this problem. TPTB_need_war (who some think is me since I am reputed to be AnonyMint) has also done conceptual technical design work on decentralized exchange (and there is some new research on that I haven't yet published). But decentralized exchange probably isn't really the solution because speculators don't want to trade where volume is low and trades aren't instantaneous. Instead the solution is probably about how we onboard millions of users and thus create an ecosystem where fiat is irrelevant for the users, i.e. the crypto-unit becomes the unit-of-account. In that case, the speculators become orthogonal to the users to a great extent (not entirely of course). If China were to wall off their population from this sort of Internet ecosystem, they would I think fall to 2nd class citizens on the Internet. Building their own walled gardens for such would again mean centralized control over private keys, which would mean massive failure due to hackers.

China will lose this gambit (of control over crypto-currency) eventually.
jeffthebaker
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034

View Profile
November 04, 2016, 03:01:50 AM

The idea of forcing "Jane and Joe" into the crypto world is inherently flawed. Any system that thrives off of the non-savvy community is destined to fail. Adoption will come to the commoners after everyone else, it's the only viable way.

With that being said, fuck steem and fuck anyone who tries to make a clone.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: