Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:35:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitfinex HACKED - funds stolen !  (Read 32116 times)
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 01:28:17 PM

Bitfinex should negotiate with hacker. Offer $10 million to return the stolen bitcoins and drop investigation.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hide_ip112

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 01:30:24 PM

Bitfinex should negotiate with hacker. Offer $10 million to return the stolen bitcoins and drop investigation.

Yeah, this could be done. However I think hackers will not accept the offer, because they prefer to earn much money instead of having to return all funds they have get and given only a small portion of the money to them. But it also depends on how bitfinex the hacker in the negotiation to seduce, hopefully this issue was quickly completed and running as before
Xialla
Legendary

Activity: 1036

/dev/null

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 01:31:09 PM

this is so unrealistic...you think, that some hacker will accept risk of disclosure and less money, than stay behind with all money?

money, bitcoins, funds...whatever are already lost and there is literally no way how to get them back. if somebody to smart enough to perform this kind of "job", he is also aware, how to act right after...
JamesOwens

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 01:39:05 PM

Here goes 1/4 of my money thx finex, deep inside me I felt those 18BTC had to go they were ''heavy''...
(It's a joke though it must be a real story, 110k coins lost, 110k stories to hear)
Pursuer
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1163

Where is my ring of blades...

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 01:44:05 PM

lol, there is nothing bitfinex can do now. the hacker is in the possession of 119,000BTC equal to nearly 70 million dollars and why in the hell would he want to give up that much for only $10mil.
besides they can get nowhere with their investigation (I hope they would though) but they were not really doing a complete legal business since they had no license to run a bitcoin exchange.

Only Bitcoin
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 02:24:54 PM

Yeah, this could be done. However I think hackers will not accept the offer, because they prefer to earn much money instead of having to return all funds they have get and given only a small portion of the money to them. But it also depends on how bitfinex the hacker in the negotiation to seduce, hopefully this issue was quickly completed and running as before

Reasons hacker might agree to negotiate:

1) The advantage of not being investigated might outweigh the difference in lifestyle between having $10 million and $60 million.

2) If he keeps a portion of his settlement in BTC, the price will rise after she agrees to settle.

3) If he takes a long position in bitcoin before agreeing to settle, he will profit.

4) He will be seen as a hero by many instead of a theif and will be sought after for security advice.

5) He will be able to convert his BTC to USD easily.
lastlove9091

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 02:29:47 PM

1) The advantage of not being investigated might outweigh the difference in lifestyle between having $10 million and $60 million.

2) If he keeps a portion of his settlement in BTC, the price will rise after she agrees to settle.

3) If he takes a long position in bitcoin before agreeing to settle, he will profit.

4) He will be seen as a hero by many instead of a theif and will be sought after for security advice.

Smiley... And the hacker can be milionaire prisoner. So do u want a like this?.. Hacker is hacker, he is violate Sad.. but i really want have negotiation of bitfinex and hacker... this case same as mtgox in the past... BTC price down so fast....(nearly is bitstamp.net has hacked)...
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 02:34:07 PM

What makes you think the kid in his parents basement running Bitfinex has $10 mil?

Chances are, he started cashing out bitcoins months ago just waiting for time he could release news of the "hack". Shortly before the "hack" he probably sold most of what he needed to in order to retire to Panama. He can slowly trickle out the rest over the next few years. Pure genius.

jdmorgan

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 02:55:37 PM

Anyway.. it is incredible. Our beloved Bitcoin seems to be really unlucky.. when everything goes fine suddenly something big tragedy happens.  Undecided
davidjcambra

Activity: 134
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 04:20:14 PM

So how long will it take to move to a price of 650 USD, any idea guys?

hulla

Activity: 1820
Merit: 566

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 05:26:43 PM

Under normal circumstances I'd say I told you so. But, as I have told you so with such vehemence and frequency already the phrase has lost all meaning. Therefore, I will be replacing it with the phrase, I have informed you thusly.

Bitfinex been hacked is too bad and I don't know when all this will end cos is affecting the btc world. If get you correct, you said you see this coming?

.Duelbits.
            ▄████▄▄
          ▄█████████▄
        ▄█████████████▄
     ▄██████████████████▄
   ▄████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄███▄
 ▄████▐▀▄▄▀▌████▐▀▄▄▀▌██

██████▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀█████

▐████████████■▄▄▄■██████████▀
▐██████████████████████████▀
██████████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████████▀
  ▀███████████████████▀
    ▀███████████████▀
▄▀▄
█   █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█▀▀▀▀▀█
▀█▀█▀
█▄█
█▄█
▄▀▄
█   █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█ █ █
█▀▀▀▀▀█
▀█▀█▀
█▄█
█▄█
         ▄ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄▀▀▄      █
         █   ▀▄     █
       ▄█▄     ▀▄   █
      ▄▀ ▀▄      ▀█▀
    ▄▀     ▀█▄▄▄▀▀ ▀
  ▄▀  ▄▀  ▄▀
 ▀▄    ▄▀▀
Live Games

▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄
 ▄▀ ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄ ▀▄
▄▀ █ ▄  █  ▄ █ ▀▄
█ █   ▀   ▀   █ █  ▄▄▄
█ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ █ █   █
█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█  █▄█
█ ▀▀█  ▀▀█  ▀▀█ █  █▄█
█  █    █    █  █  █ █
Slots
        ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
        █         ▄▄  █
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄       █
█  ▄▄         █       █
█             █       █
█   ▄▀▀▄▀▀▄   █       █
█   ▀▄   ▄▀   █       █
█     ▀▄▀     █   ▀▀  █
Blackjack
▄▄▀█████▀▄▄
▄▀▀   █████ ▄▄▀▀▄
███▄  ▄█████▄▀▀▄███
██████▀▀     ▀▀██████
█ ▀▀██▀ ▀▄   ▄▀ ▀██▀▀ █
█    █    ███    █    █
█ ▄▄██▄ ▄▀   ▀▄ ▄██▄▄ █
██████▄▄     ▄▄██████
Roulette
█▀▀▀▄             ▄▀▀▀█
█ ▀▄ ▀▄         ▄▀ ▄▀ █
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄     ▄▀ ▄▀ ▄▀
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄  ▀ ▄▀ ▄▀
▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀ ▄▀
▄ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀▄  ▄
█ ▀▄ ▀▄ ▀  ▄▀ █
▄▀▄ ▀▄ ▀ ▄▀ ▄▀▄
Dice Duels
Orielres

Activity: 61
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 05:48:26 PM

I heard the Bitfinex has contact police. So there is a possibility that the thief will be caught and the funds return.
nagatraju

Activity: 672

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 06:14:20 PM

So how long will it take to move to a price of 650 USD, any idea guys?

It must be take couple of weeks.
Cereberus
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 06:51:34 PM

What makes you think the kid in his parents basement running Bitfinex has $10 mil?

Chances are, he started cashing out bitcoins months ago just waiting for time he could release news of the "hack". Shortly before the "hack" he probably sold most of what he needed to in order to retire to Panama. He can slowly trickle out the rest over the next few years. Pure genius.

If I were him I would have done exactly what you have described above. I imagine the hacker to have at least some money to travel to Panama, Belize or any other fiscal paradise place and to keep a rent for at least 3-6 months. He then take his nice hardware wallet in his travel until he arrives there. Once he places himself in one of these fiscal paradises he then slowly start to cashout little by little without being noticed by anyone there. Sounds like a perfect plan to me.

██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
              ██    ██
            ██    ██
          ██    ██
        ██    ██
      ██    ██       
    ██    ██    ██    ██
  ██    ██    ██    ██
██    ██    ██    ██
TRADEPLAYZ
█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   
TOURNAMENT PVP SYSTEM
  FACEBOOK |  TWITTER  |  LINKEDIN  |  TELEGRAM  |  GITHUB  |  ANN  | INSTAGRAM 

█ 
█ 
█     
█  █
█  █ 
█  █ 
█  █
    █  █
  █  █
  █  █
        █
    █
      █   

█▄
                     ████▄
                     ██████▄
                     ████████▄
                     ██████████▄
                     ████████████▄
                     ██████████████▄
                     ███████████████
                     ██████████████▀
                     ████████████▀
                     ██████████▀
                     ████████▀
                     ██████▀
                     ████▀
                     █
█▀
GOOGLE PLAY

▄█████████████▄
                            ███████████████
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            █░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
                            ██████▀▀▀██████
                             ▀████▄▄▄▄████▀
  APPSTORE
Gilf

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 07:22:14 PM

If I were him I would have done exactly what you have described above. I imagine the hacker to have at least some money to travel to Panama, Belize or any other fiscal paradise place and to keep a rent for at least 3-6 months. He then take his nice hardware wallet in his travel until he arrives there. Once he places himself in one of these fiscal paradises he then slowly start to cashout little by little without being noticed by anyone there. Sounds like a perfect plan to me.
And why no one makes assumptions that all that happened was done deliberately. We planned not only to bring a significant amount of bitcoin, but buy for the same money more bitcoin. The statistics of who is seen as bitcoin sold these days?
richardsNY
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1091

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 07:34:11 PM

The idea isn't that bad actually, but these hackers don't really care if they have the feeling they are anonymous enough, with plans to somehow mix their coins in a matter of a few years. If they got that in their mind, then they will surely not turn more than $60 million into $10 million. I don't even think it's allowed by law as there will be an ongoing investigation.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2301

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 07:44:12 PM

Bitfinex actually implemented a system that allowed them to prove their solvency on a nearly real time basis, so I don't think they have been insolvent for longer then when they got hacked.

This isn't 2012 anymore, exchanges are holding hundreds of millions of dollars worth of Bitcoin, and they are not being run out of some guy's basement.

Based on their trading volumes, bitfinex has had well over $10 million worth of revenues over the past year, so yes, they should be able to cover a $10 million loss.
mayax (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 09:53:57 PM

the loss is 60 mil usd and not 10 mil. usd.

60 mil is a huge amount for anybody. Bitfinex is an illegal company. They will not cover this amount. Their clients lost the funds. Yes, Bitfinex has money in their bank accounts but these money are for theirself  Grin
wikenpp

Activity: 672

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 09:56:56 PM

the loss is 60 mil usd and not 10 mil. usd.

60 mil is a huge amount for anybody. Bitfinex is an illegal company. They will not cover this amount. Their clients lost the funds. Yes, Bitfinex has money in their bank accounts but these money are for theirself  Grin

With bitfinex you hever now if there was actually an hack. They are notorious for their price manipulation and close of the market when there is a lot of price action with bitcoin.
I do hope they find a solution ,but at this moment it is hard to say what will happen with the customer funds. Which makes it such a terrible event.
20kevin20
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1597

View Profile
August 04, 2016, 09:58:48 PM

I'll open an illegal exchange. After having over $50M in BTC, I'll fake this 'hacking' thing, saying that somebody hacked the website and stole EVERYTHING.

Isn't it a little bit weird that.... This is an illegal company and it suddenly closes like that? Anyone can do it and become a millionaire overnight.. and then I'll run away with the money. Updates? Law enforcement? Hah! What a good joke... Let me sell some marijuanna and then call the cops telling them that someone stole my drugs. That's self-harming. And the owners aren't that stupid to do it.

Expect nothing from them. We'll just see updates like 'if somebody can find him we'll give a reward of 100BTC' find him. The problem is that you can't because he doesn't even exist. Just wait for the 'updates' on this situation..... You'll see.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 »
  Print  

Jump to: