Bitcoin Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:43:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Bitfinex Hacked] So , learned the lesson ?  (Read 10502 times)
Herp

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 10:34:51 PM

So, I've never actually been to the Bitfinex web site (or used it)
I found another pool STILL has links to them on their web site, so I clicked and had a look.

Wow are they delusional still saying this on the web site:
https://www.bitfinex.com/security_policy

Security of user information and funds is our first priority.
Every detail is analyzed to avoid security holes. We pride ourselves on being the most secure Bitcoin exchange.

Security is their priority ? any Security expert should know that almost everything online is hackable. The fact that they didn't use Cold storage to store most of the funds means that they don't really give a damn.

That was certainly quite weird. Their wallet system was a hot mess.

So I guess that Bitfinex themselves is actually all a scam, since th web site (still) says this:
Why is this method superior to the traditional pooled funds method of cold storage?

The use of this model, where each customer has a separate set of keys and wallets, allows for a much greater level of granularity at which multi-institutional security can be provided. Whilst in the past BitGo would have to treat a pooled wallet as a single unit, per-customer policies can now be enforced. Further, since we now enforce multi-institutional second factor authentication (Bitfinex will be the first factor and BitGo the second factor), attackers are required to compromise both institutions before getting funds.
i.e. both BitGo and Bitfinex had to BOTH be compromised according to their (current) web site.

If that above quote is false, then it's still a scam them making that statement.

That's an interesting point. Think it's an inside job just like the Shapeshift hack?

███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████▐████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
DECENT
FOUNDATION

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[D]ecentralized application
[E]liminated third parties
[C]ontent distribution

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

[E]ncrypted & secure
[N]o borders
[T]imeless reputation

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██
██
██

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
August 12, 2016, 11:01:27 PM

Learned it years ago https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=179135.msg9122178#msg9122178

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
Doamader

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 11:46:58 PM

I found another pool STILL has links to them on their web site, so I clicked and had a look.

Every detail is analyzed to avoid security holes. We pride ourselves on being the most secure Bitcoin exchange.

Security is their priority ? any Security expert should know that almost everything online is hackable. The fact that they didn't use Cold storage to store most of the funds means that they don't really give a damn.

So I guess that Bitfinex themselves is actually all a scam, since th web site (still) says this:
Why is this method superior to the traditional pooled funds method of cold storage?

The use of this model, where each customer has a separate set of keys and wallets, allows for a much greater level of granularity at which multi-institutional security can be provided. Whilst in the past BitGo would have to treat a pooled wallet as a single unit, per-customer policies can now be enforced. Further, since we now enforce multi-institutional second factor authentication (Bitfinex will be the first factor and BitGo the second factor), attackers are required to compromise both institutions before getting funds.
i.e. both BitGo and Bitfinex had to BOTH be compromised according to their (current) web site.

If that above quote is false, then it's still a scam them making that statement.

That's an interesting point. Think it's an inside job just like the Shapeshift hack?
What happened with shapeshift, i dont know nothing related to those, did they got hacked as well? This is really insane i thinked they had reopen already with the all users loosing 35% their funds to balance the lost the hacked took.
a7mos

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
August 12, 2016, 11:55:39 PM

Just want to ask anyone who traded there - have they given back your coins after this mega-upgrade or just enabled new deposits?

withdrawing is working fine . I tested it yesterday and It is completed within 30 minutes after I confirmed the request.
but there is still a loss which is 36% of the old funds Sad
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3458
Merit: 6105

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 06:56:44 AM

Just want to ask anyone who traded there - have they given back your coins after this mega-upgrade or just enabled new deposits?

withdrawing is working fine . I tested it yesterday and It is completed within 30 minutes after I confirmed the request.

You are using the website without issues ? how come I'm unable to connect to the website (not the account , but the website isn't even working)

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Dobmaster

Activity: 464

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 01:07:26 PM

You are using the website without issues ? how come I'm unable to connect to the website (not the account , but the website isn't even working)

The website did not work yesterday. But it is working now. I heard many people are withdrawing from the exchange.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 13, 2016, 02:47:22 PM

The website did not work yesterday. But it is working now. I heard many people are withdrawing from the exchange.

more than 65% from their clients already withdrew their funds from Bitfinex. Bitfinex platform will become a ghost shortly.
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 10:49:38 AM

I'm testing each day and the website is still not working for me , anyone is having the same issue ? I'm having the default error message from Chrome when a website is down.
This site can’t be reached

www.bitfinex.com took too long to respond.
Try:
Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 04:48:06 PM

I'm testing each day and the website is still not working for me , anyone is having the same issue ? I'm having the default error message from Chrome when a website is down.

It was never down for me. Ok, they halted the service, but I received their page saying so. The day that trading was reenabled there were some outages but I got a bitfinex page saying so, "Please try again later". Never down. Now margin trading is back and I have my short again.
Shiroslullaby

Activity: 434

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 04:57:26 PM

If they are going up and down maybe they are still having some technical issues.
Was there ever any information as to how they were breached? Was it some sort of vulnerability in their website?  

I don't know much about how exchanges work, but I presume there is a php backend for the site that connects to a database like SQL so you have a lot of security work to do to secure all that infrastructure.

OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 15, 2016, 05:20:40 PM

It was never down for me. Ok, they halted the service, but I received their page saying so. The day that trading was reenabled there were some outages but I got a bitfinex page saying so, "Please try again later". Never down. Now margin trading is back and I have my short again.

I'm trying since yesterday like each 15mn all the day but the shit is just not working , the weird thing is that It's showing everything correctly on their page on statuspage.io : https://bitfinex.statuspage.io/  , I tried to reboot my modem (I thought they blocked my IP for one reason or another) , my IP changed but I still can't access the website so I just don't understand.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mayax
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1004

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 10:17:08 AM

of course, it is Smiley
buyinbtc
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1010

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 06:29:48 PM

i doubt that they will ever give the money back to the people that lost it, though i hope that in the future it is not going to happen again

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
crairezx20
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1046

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 06:33:57 PM

i doubt that they will ever give the money back to the people that lost it, though i hope that in the future it is not going to happen again
Better to dont deposit again in that site because they are already experience of hack so its not safe to invest there again..
I think its time to go in other exchange site instead
a7mos

Activity: 574

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 06:52:08 PM

Better to dont deposit again in that site because they are already experience of hack so its not safe to invest there again..

you better say it is the time to stop trusting any exchange site and stop storing funds in them because every thing online is possibly can be hacked or scamed
bravehearth0319

Activity: 1022

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 11:37:18 PM

Prior to the recent breach, Bitfinex was claiming that they were using secure cold storage and multisig. It's not like users didn't get a warning with Bitfinex's outages, unprofessionalism and previous breaches recently but this false advertising was so over the top.

As we can see for what happened in bitfinex it is a really big mistake to invest in to that exchange. They hype the community to invest more to their site company but the opposite is there's a big problem problem already. The issue that being exposed is they've been hacked for me but I think they're not, from the very start it's their planned it  to deceived the community.
bravehearth0319

Activity: 1022

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 11:43:00 PM

you better say it is the time to stop trusting any exchange site and stop storing funds in them because every thing online is possibly can be hacked or scamed

Yes your right, every thing online can be hacked or scam, and it cannot be stop actually. I think the way to avoid that is if ever we invest in any exchange once we do trade and sell our coins and being sold if you/we think the amount is big withdraw it at once and leave a small amount of balance to make it grow again through trading.
DOGE12321

Activity: 378

View Profile
August 18, 2016, 11:48:01 PM

I don't think anyone learned the lesson, especially since Bitfinex responded very swiftly with a quick refund to all of its members.

But I agree with you. It is a good habit to withdraw funds from exchanges, especially if you are using an illegal fund. I use Yobit.net and haven't had any problems yet, but since the Bitfinex incident, I have withdrawn most of my funds.

Smiley
marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 01:15:39 AM

I don't think anyone learned the lesson, especially since Bitfinex responded very swiftly with a quick refund to all of its members.

A quick refund of 64% of users' funds. Not what I think of as a "refund."

Given that BTC-E has now outperformed Bitfinex's volume for 3 days in a row, I'd say that there has been a massive exodus from Bitfinex. 60% of coins held by Bitfinex have now been withdrawn from the exchange. It's a ghost town.

And damn right. You'd be crazy to keep funds on that criminal exchange.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
OmegaStarScream (OP)
Staff
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2016, 05:38:53 AM

I never seen this till now , I'm not sure If this existed before or after the hack but .. How ironic is this    Roll Eyes

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████