Bitcoin Forum
May 30, 2024, 04:30:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon ASIC Batch #2 Income Sharing; arrived and hashing  (Read 23391 times)
perseus

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 05:47:02 AM

I have a small Makefile (remember tabs matter) to harvest the earnings from the machine, which I compare against a 4% share, 12fLsHddqAhjZEc6HEAxMTWPe4vgR3f1uT. My assumption is that all of the earnings of the machine have gone to the 18bL address. After the mining payout of 2013-07-30 21:15:13, I get 1.0214 owed versus 1.03452914 paid; so versus my calculations, you are slightly overpaid.
I have posted the Makefile in case others are interested. You can change the .04 to match your own percentage.

NAME = 18bLcVkviErQi75zB8X39jZXxHNpSZggdC

all:
   - rm $(NAME)*
   wget http://blockchain.info/address/$(NAME)
   grep "No Inputs" $(NAME) | grep -o -e "button.*" | grep -o -e  "[0-9]*\.[0-9]* BTC" | grep -o -e "[0-9]*\.[0-9]*" > earnings
   cat earnings | awk '{total = total + $$1}END{print total*.04}'
ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 03, 2013, 04:17:52 PM

I have a small Makefile (remember tabs matter) to harvest the earnings from the machine, which I compare against a 4% share, 12fLsHddqAhjZEc6HEAxMTWPe4vgR3f1uT. My assumption is that all of the earnings of the machine have gone to the 18bL address. After the mining payout of 2013-07-30 21:15:13, I get 1.0214 owed versus 1.03452914 paid; so versus my calculations, you are slightly overpaid.
I have posted the Makefile in case others are interested. You can change the .04 to match your own percentage.

NAME = 18bLcVkviErQi75zB8X39jZXxHNpSZggdC

all:
   - rm $(NAME)*
   wget http://blockchain.info/address/$(NAME)
   grep "No Inputs" $(NAME) | grep -o -e "button.*" | grep -o -e  "[0-9]*\.[0-9]* BTC" | grep -o -e "[0-9]*\.[0-9]*" > earnings
   cat earnings | awk '{total = total + $$1}END{print total*.04}'

Thanks for keeping me honest.

All of the earnings do go to  18bLc

There are some earnings that are not directly mined.  Eligius has paid a rogue payment when they had several blocks in the payout queue.  When the Avalon was new, I mined on several pools and looked at the actual pay-output I received, and most of these pools paid from an existing account, and not from a mined block.

There are also some earnings that have not paid out.  I have btc-guild as one of the fail over options.  The eligius outage last week that lasted a couple of hours failed over.  In order to bring the balance with them to zero, I have to raise the payout amount fairly high, wait until the balance is fairly high, redirect the Avalon to another pool, then lower the payout threshold and wait a day for the payout.  I decided it is not worth the hassle for a small payment, I'll just let the balance accumulate as the Avalon get pointed to them in the future.

There is also the spike when I pointed a 2nd Avalon that I had for repair to the 18bLb pool.  I just did that for grins, to see how high in the contributor list we would go.  Professors do stuff like that, we're in it for the curiosity.  (Part of the fee to repair the unit was that I could mine for 3 days)  I have donated that money to the pool.

I try to be respectful and informed.
perseus

View Profile
August 05, 2013, 07:58:22 PM

Ah! That makes sense. Silly introvert that I am, I inferred most of these things from the blockchain and a few scripts, but I could have just asked! Thanks again for doing a great job.

ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 03:48:36 PM

Ah! That makes sense. Silly introvert that I am, I inferred most of these things from the blockchain and a few scripts, but I could have just asked! Thanks again for doing a great job.

Once in grad school, I moved all my stuff into a U-Haul, cleaned the apartment, and sat down to rest.  The manager's husband came over and said "you're a scientist."  "Oh?"  "Yeah, I'm in history.  I would have bought a keg of beer and had all my friends do the work."

In today's disbursement, I returned the funds to the two accounts addresses 146J6Eqsu9ZDFq8VqzXPehYQdYHQZUUuuB and 1ProfMacyEowpEmbvkUpCx5xQLhXLmrXDb.  I also changed one of the payout addresses due to account misfortune.  This transaction paid 0.00200033 in change to a new address 1EFkX6dADe9x2A2wLxCUZTfJg5vxUkYbQr.  

The amount disbursed to the group, 7.268 370 33, is about 1.038 BTC/Day.  Eligius shows about 4.128 BTC as shelved, or earned and not yet paid out.  

The low last night was 55ºF, but my wife closed some doors and I did not get much cool air flow into the basement.  I did show an Avalon frequency at 350 MHz at one point in the night, but it is not reflected as an increased earnings rate in the eligius graph.  The temp3 reading on the avalon dropped to 49ºC, from the target max of 50ºC.  Last week we had a night of 45ºF, and I thought of moving the Avalon to a window upstairs, and having it pull the outside air directly in, and discharging the heated air into the house, but the risk and downtime my laziness prevailed against that decision.

I did get a 0.5 BTC tip to my tip address from posting in the Avalon user thread and helping a fellow Avalon owner get connected to the network.

ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:11:30 PM

I ran across another group. 

It looks like their founder took the money and ran, and 4 of the shareholders were able to gain control of the Avalons.  They are hashing at this time.  They are set up so that people can buy and sell shares, and they pay dividends, the first dividend apparently paid this morning.

They look pretty slick and official, and I look pretty small time and informal compared to them.  Makes me think of "Whole Foods" and "Wheatsville" food co-ops in Austin.

ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 05:37:39 PM

Request for trust rating.

Trust ratings, which seem very similar to the PGP web of trust from the 90s, are in place for the marketplace.

In summary, each person can trust certain individuals, who in turn trust other individuals.  As the web is filled out, a person fairly distant from you will have a trust rating that you can see.  This is self moderating, if someone tries to manipulate the system, his trust can be de-rated and thus his influence can be reduced.

Anyone who bid in my auction put bitcoin at risk, and when I paid you back I acted in a trustworthy manner.  I wish you would take a moment to give me a rating, if you have had your auction bid returned.

The guys who repaid dividends after I accidentally sent them some, PM me your forum names and I will rate you.

Thanks.

ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 09:37:11 PM
Last edit: August 07, 2013, 02:17:51 AM by ProfMac

We have a tornado watch until 9 PM.  Perhaps 20 minutes ago there was a tornado warning.  We had large hail, in the 2" size at the house, larger within a mile.  Reports of unorganized rotation in the clouds within a mile, moving this way.

I unplugged the Avalon during the intense weather.  It went from clear sky to tornadic in less than an hour.  At least 1 window in the house was broken.  Some friends have pictures on FaceBook, but none of them are set to public.

I am plugged back in and hashing.

perseus

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:00:46 AM

We have a tornado watch until 9 PM.  Perhaps 20 minutes ago there was a tornado warning.  We had large hail, in the 2" size at the house, larger within a mile.  Reports of unorganized rotation in the clouds within a mile, moving this way.

I unplugged the Avalon during the intense weather.  It went from clear sky to tornadic in less than an hour.  At least 1 window in the house was broken.  Some friends have pictures on FaceBook, but none of them are set to public.

I am plugged back in and hashing.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/q77/s720x720/1003526_10201903855582867_1380106927_n.jpg

The history graduate student story is right on. Those hail stones are insane!
ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 11, 2013, 07:59:05 PM

Do any of you use an Android wallet?

ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 12, 2013, 01:46:03 PM

The Avalon dropped to about 65 GH/s this morning for unknown reasons.  The outside air temperature was 48ºF shortly before this occurred.

I restarted cgminer and it did not appear to make any improvement.
I rebooted the Avalon, a warmstart, and it appeared to recover.

I had been trying to leave it alone and have a long uptime, but with the reboot I decided to flash with the cklovias firmware release of 2013-08-10.  This has succeeded and the machine has been hashing for 12 minutes.

ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 13, 2013, 11:27:07 PM

I distributed funds this morning.  The funds that were "mature" were distributed.  I round the value down to 6 decimal positions and carry a tiny amount of change forward.  Today that change went to new address 1Btt4CHAcG1ymT57hFetYT7PofmJVBVWKs and the amount was 0.00040045 BTC

The cklovias software version 20130810 resulted in a lower hash rate.  A new version 20130810-1 was released, and I have installed it.  I will let it run overnight and see if it produces a higher hash-rate than the 20130603 version.

ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 19, 2013, 02:26:00 AM

I have flashed a few successive versions of the software.
At 21:28 CDT, a few minutes ago, I flashed the 20130819 version.
The 20130814 & 20130814-1 versions degraded performance slightly.
The 20130818 version improved performance, and the auto tune frequency increased from 347 MHz to 352 MHz.
The orange light, which glows steadily when the unit is out of communication with the network, flashes.  This behavior is reported widely and is not understood.

ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 20, 2013, 04:24:48 PM

I have distributed funds.

ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 22, 2013, 06:11:54 PM

I am testing a 4th module in the Avalon.  I am mining in eligius's pool with a different address during the test.

bitrocket

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 27, 2013, 03:35:59 AM

how is the testing going with the fourth module in the Avalon? Did you have any problems hooking it up and getting it to recognize the new module?

NEW Rocketpool Giveaway [POOL][DOGE] 10,000 Doge Block Finder Bonus on now: http://doge.rocketpool.org
>50,000 Dogecoin bounty in blockfinder rewards
ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
August 27, 2013, 04:15:43 AM

how is the testing going with the fourth module in the Avalon? Did you have any problems hooking it up and getting it to recognize the new module?

The actual hook up and configuration was straightforward.  The difficulties were with physical things like screws and cables.  It takes at least a half hour to remove and re-install the top and I only do this when powered down.

The module is from a batch #3 unit.  The mounting holes on the bottom of the heat-sink are in a pattern of 5, and the holes for the batch #2 are in a pattern of 7.  In addition, the spreader strip has a wide end and a narrow end in the batch #3.  There are two mating symmetric strips on 2 modules in batch #3.

This has meant that the module is not aligned well inside the case, and it is not secured well to the base.  It has much more the flavor of research instrumentation and not so much the flavor of a commercial product.

The connections required a custom made IDE style ribbon cable.  One of the outfits accepted a next day air shipping but did not actually make the cable for about 5 days.  I later ordered from an outfit in Texas that I have done business with in the past, and they delivered promptly.

The IDE style cable, and the power cable plugged into the Batch #2 PDU & Control board without any special consideration.  I did take off the side panel in order to be able to get my fingers through all the cables and to the actual plug locations.

Each time I have powered up an Avalon, the hash rate has increased when the module was powered on for a day or so, and then rebooted.  I cannot explain this behavior.  This occurred with this new module as well. 

I also bought a kill-a-watt.  The power supply on the Avalon is a GX-850.  I am pulling almost 1,000 from the wall, so I am pulling a lot of power for this supply.  My backup plan is to let it run, and get a 2nd case commissioned.

Heat is becoming an issue, but perhaps not because of the 4th module.  In July, some nights had a low temperature of 45°F, and it was fairly easy to allow cool night air to flow into the basement and form a reservoir of cooling.  The temperature was fairly steady at about 65-68°F.  This week, however, the temperatures have reached 95°F in the daytime, with lows in the 70s.  The intake temperature for the Avalon has risen from a reported value of 21°C to a value of 26°C.  This is about 9°F temperature rise.  With this rise, the fans are running near 3960 RPM instead of the more leisurely 2200 RPM.  I have reduced the overclocking from the automatic 347 or so MHZ to a fixed 310 MHz.  This change in clocking is visible in the accepted hash rate.  Many Minnesota homes do not have air conditioning.  I am drenched in sweat.  It is like when I lived in New Orleans and set the air conditioner to $400/month.

I am attempting to commission a 2nd chassis.  I have a quote on a batch #2 chassis that does not have a control unit, a quote on a batch #2 control unit, I posses a batch #3 chassis with a control unit and no power distribution unit (PDU), and I have a bare PCB of a PDU but do not know whether it is a batch #2 or batch #3.  I have also ordered a "non-working" module that was originally in the batch #3 chassis, and I will see if the separate 10 chip asic board is good or bad.

http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/18bLcVkviErQi75zB8X39jZXxHNpSZggdC
http://eligius.st/~wizkid057/newstats/userstats.php/1LU3zkC7GrdWZ6ccn4VN8jnsvQoJ9KTSx7

ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 01, 2013, 09:01:10 PM

I did some scheduled maintenance today.

I purchased an OCZ ZX 1250 power supply.

The installation went well, the miner is hashing again.  The power draw at the wall is less, but the readings have not stabilized.  The initial indications are about 20 W less demand at 355 MHz clock.

ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 02, 2013, 11:24:33 PM

Thunderstorm with hail & lightening.

sealkid

Activity: 59
Merit: 1

Honk, honk!

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 03:40:53 PM

We love you ProfMac! And we know you feel it!  Grin

Come join my triplemining minipool! (http://sealkid.triplemining.com/register)
ProfMac (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:23:45 PM

We love you ProfMac! And we know you feel it!  Grin

I know.  Some of the other group buy threads don't have nearly as much love in them.

I only wish I could make the hashing go faster.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: