Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:41:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bitcoin Relationship Thread: G/F, Wife, Significant Other...etc... Tales...  (Read 5778 times)
Atheros

Activity: 249
Merit: 251

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 08:33:26 PM

I'm single and when I'm on a date (never a first date) I love to talk about Bitcoin and explain how it works just to test the other person's reaction. I honestly don't care whether they like Bitcoin or not; it is really just a test of how open minded they are to new ideas, especially ideas which conflict with something they already believe. If they aren't capable of adopting new concepts and ideas, how are they going to share new concepts with me? One person to whom I explained Bitcoin had no response. When I asked for one I just got "Well it's interesting, I just don't think it'll work."  

As if it doesn't already work.

For a variety of reasons I don't talk to that person anymore.

BM-GteJMPqvHRUdUHHa1u7dtYnfDaH5ogeY
Bitmessage.org - Decentralized, trustless, encrypted, authenticated messaging protocol and client.
deathcode
Copper Member

Activity: 1428
Merit: 253

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:39:46 PM

I'm single and when I'm on a date (never a first date) I love to talk about Bitcoin and explain how it works just to test the other person's reaction. I honestly don't care whether they like Bitcoin or not; it is really just a test of how open minded they are to new ideas, especially ideas which conflict with something they already believe. If they aren't capable of adopting new concepts and ideas, how are they going to share new concepts with me? One person to whom I explained Bitcoin had no response. When I asked for one I just got "Well it's interesting, I just don't think it'll work."  

Well, if everyone believe it'd work, then great ideas would be automatic successes.

The Apple computer and the HP exec telling Woz that they weren't interested in a personal computer...
IBM execs telling Bill Gates the money was on the hardware...
MP3's
file sharing services
streaming...
so many ideas were perceived as flawed or unfeasible...
But anyways, I'm off-topic here Smiley

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
Mars,           
here we come!
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
ElonCoin.org.
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"

▬▬▬▬▬
novusordo

Activity: 800
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:42:15 PM

Politics and religion are excellent reasons to break up with a girlfriend. Better a breakup now than a divorce later.
100% yes to this!  Disagreements on religion or politics (or money) is a HUGE red flag when talking about getting married.  You've got to be on the same page with your spouse on anything that either of you feel passionately about, or it's very likely going to end badly.  People have euphoric views on how they will change their spouse's viewpoint, or how it doesn't really matter and they'll just work it out, but that doesn't match reality.

Source:  Happily married for almost 7 years now.

This can also mean that you simply agree to disagree on some subjects.

For instance, just because one person is an Atheist and another is Roman Catholic does not mean that they'd be bad for each other. As long as neither of them is a preachy, foaming-at-the-mouth extremist type of person, they should be able to get along fine in that regard.

Of course, religion and politics are only a measly two variables in the equation of a relationship.

█████
                        █████████████
                     █████████████
                 ██████████████        █████
              █████████████        ████████████
          ██████████████        █████████████
       █████████████        █████████████       ██████
       ██████████        ████████████           ██████
       ███████       █████████████       ███    ██████
       ███████    █████████████       ██████    ██████
       ████████████████████       ██████████    ██████
       █████████████████       █████████████    ██████
       █████████████       █████████████        ██████
       ██████████       █████████████           ██████
       ███████      ██████████████       ███    ██████
       ██████    █████████████       ███████    ██████
       ██████    ██████████       ██████████    ██████
       ██████    ██████        █████████████    ██████
       ██████    ███       █████████████        ██████
       ██████           █████████████       ██████████
       ██████       █████████████        █████████████
                 █████████████       █████████████
              ████████████        █████████████
                  ████         ████████████
                           █████████████
                         ███████████
                            █████
Ferrum Network • Interoperability Network for Financial Applications
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:42:47 PM

Well, if everyone believe it'd work, then great ideas would be automatic successes.

The Apple computer and the HP exec telling Woz that they weren't interested in a personal computer...
IBM execs telling Bill Gates the money was on the hardware...
MP3's
file sharing services
streaming...
so many ideas were perceived as flawed or unfeasible...
But anyways, I'm off-topic here Smiley

You basically illustrated my point. One girl says "I don't think bitcoin will work", so a neckbeard breaks up with her instead of just being patient because "fuck anyone who has a different religious, political or technological opinion than me!".  Roll Eyes

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:48:11 PM

You basically illustrated my point. One girl says "I don't think bitcoin will work", so a neckbeard breaks up with her instead of just being patient because "fuck anyone who has a different religious, political or technological opinion than me!".  Roll Eyes
Except that's not what happened.

My GF bitched me out last night because she said I wouldn't stop talking about Bitcoin and I wasn't paying enough attention to her and all I did was watch stupid boring charts.
Dump her. Bitcoin is irrelevant here - it won't matter what your interests or hobbies are, she'll react the same way. Find somebody who will share your interests, or at least will allow you to have other interests besides her.
That's a good point. Every time I focus on something she over reacts and says I am paying no attention to her. I would do a poll but I have a feeling it would be lopsided in the "dump" category. lol
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 08:57:29 PM

My GF bitched me out last night because she said I wouldn't stop talking about Bitcoin and I wasn't paying enough attention to her and all I did was watch stupid boring charts.
Dump her. Bitcoin is irrelevant here - it won't matter what your interests or hobbies are, she'll react the same way. Find somebody who will share your interests, or at least will allow you to have other interests besides her.
That's a good point. Every time I focus on something she over reacts and says I am paying no attention to her. I would do a poll but I have a feeling it would be lopsided in the "dump" category. lol

You're right, my bad. It wasn't a disagreement at all, it was OP neglecting his responsibilities as a boyfriend. lol

Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 09:14:50 PM

Bitcoin was a major source of contention between myself and my late wife. I bought in July, 2011 at around $14/BTC. I cashed out $10k from one of my IRAs, I saw the potential in Bitcoin and knew it would be big. I traded a bit at MtGox as it went down and got up to 800BTC. Then I got on Bitcoinica as the price dropped a lot and desperate to get my money back I did a lot of shorting and a lot of losing bitcoins. I pulled everything out of there as it appeared that manipulation was a bit too precise in taking my BTC away. I had about 250 BTC left. I pretty much had to tell my wife that the whole Bitcoin thing was a wash and that there was no money there. I was constantly reminded that I "threw away 10 thousand dollars on your stupid Bitcoins".

Finally last October we were buying a house and needed $5,000 toward the down payment. Bitcoin was at about $11/BTC around then. We were scraping what we could get for the $5,000. I borrowed $2,500 from my brother and finally broke down and cashed out the rest of my bitcoins for the rest.

Losing a loved one you play a lot of "what if"s. Had Bitcoin jumped like this last year instead of this year I likely would not have had to go to Afghanistan to get out of our financial problems and I could have been home with my wife...

But anything can happen in life.

She used to also complain about my time wasted supporting Ron Paul. Even though she supported him too, she knew that any action supporting him was a waste of time because they would never let him win.

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:19:41 PM

Politics and religion are excellent reasons to break up with a girlfriend. Better a breakup now than a divorce later.
100% yes to this!  Disagreements on religion or politics (or money) is a HUGE red flag when talking about getting married.  You've got to be on the same page with your spouse on anything that either of you feel passionately about, or it's very likely going to end badly.  People have euphoric views on how they will change their spouse's viewpoint, or how it doesn't really matter and they'll just work it out, but that doesn't match reality.

Source:  Happily married for almost 7 years now.

This can also mean that you simply agree to disagree on some subjects.

For instance, just because one person is an Atheist and another is Roman Catholic does not mean that they'd be bad for each other. As long as neither of them is a preachy, foaming-at-the-mouth extremist type of person, they should be able to get along fine in that regard.

Of course, religion and politics are only a measly two variables in the equation of a relationship.
Exactly why I said "either of you feel passionately about".  If either the Atheist or the Roman Catholic felt passionately about their religious views, in most cases, that marriage will end badly.  Not in all cases, certainly, but in most cases, yes.  At the very least, it'll be a source of tension/contention in the marriage.
BitcoinTate (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:21:18 PM

You're right, my bad. It wasn't a disagreement at all, it was OP neglecting his responsibilities as a boyfriend. lol
lol! I knew I should have never skipped chapter 12 in The Bitcoin Bro Guide: "Ways to seduce her and slowly make her fall in love with Bitcoin" and went straight to Chapter 13: "Things women will do for some BTC after a few too many drinks."

- aka The "DigiMan"
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:23:52 PM

Bitcoin was a major source of contention between myself and my late wife. I bought in July, 2011 at around $14/BTC. I cashed out $10k from one of my IRAs, I saw the potential in Bitcoin and knew it would be big. I traded a bit at MtGox as it went down and got up to 800BTC. Then I got on Bitcoinica as the price dropped a lot and desperate to get my money back I did a lot of shorting and a lot of losing bitcoins. I pulled everything out of there as it appeared that manipulation was a bit too precise in taking my BTC away. I had about 250 BTC left. I pretty much had to tell my wife that the whole Bitcoin thing was a wash and that there was no money there. I was constantly reminded that I "threw away 10 thousand dollars on your stupid Bitcoins".

Finally last October we were buying a house and needed $5,000 toward the down payment. Bitcoin was at about $11/BTC around then. We were scraping what we could get for the $5,000. I borrowed $2,500 from my brother and finally broke down and cashed out the rest of my bitcoins for the rest.

Losing a loved one you play a lot of "what if"s. Had Bitcoin jumped like this last year instead of this year I likely would not have had to go to Afghanistan to get out of our financial problems and I could have been home with my wife...

She used to also complain about my time wasted supporting Ron Paul. Even though she supported him too, she knew that any action supporting him was a waste of time because they would never let him win.
Funny, this chick also ragged on me for spending time supporting Ron Paul as well. Speaking of Ron Paul, anyone know if he has publicly supported Bitcoin or if he even knows about it?

- aka The "DigiMan"
David M

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:27:50 PM

I'm currently in a great "battle" with my wife over Bitcoin.

We have some stashed away for the kids and there is no argument about those.

One of our businesses has accepted bitcoin for about 2 years and it causes "discussions".

Wife: "That bloke paid us when Bitcoin was at $4.50.  For god's sake sell them."

She has been saying that since $9.
I managed to delay the action until it hit AUD$70/BTC a piece.
Buying selling only 10 at the price, our entire COG for all bitcoin transactions was paid for.
The rest of the businesses coins remain "under discussion".

We have some stashed away for ourselves and there has been no discussion on those except when the topic of $100 a coin was raised.

Wife: "Can we offload 20 BTC at $100?"
Me: "What for?"
Wife: "2000% profit!"
Me: "Meh...If it hits a $100 we will have this chat again."

To be continued until death do us part...
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 09:28:03 PM

My GF bitched me out last night because she said I wouldn't stop talking about Bitcoin and I wasn't paying enough attention to her and all I did was watch stupid boring charts. Then she reiterated her point that BTC is illegal and will be shutdown eventually (ironic she says that because she is an attorney and has no freaking clue what BTC is).  Then she put her hands on her hips and told me if I was making so much money I needed to take her to a nice dinner or else there was no point being together! lol!

So I am thinking of dumping her? Anyone else ended a relationship over BTC? haha

This, I believe, is what people seem to be missing. Dump her because she's a lawyer.

And..

she is an attorney and has no freaking clue

redundancy is redundant

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
March 27, 2013, 09:31:04 PM

Dates are scarcer than bitcoins or hen's teeth.

Bitcoin has shown the light of the fact that there are things in life besides women, and single men don't have to sulk. Smiley

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
thefiniteidea

Activity: 509
Merit: 564

"In Us We Trust"

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:32:07 PM

So I read my girlfriend this thread and she said in response to the OP, "That sucks for him. He should dump her."

This, coming from a girl who had four batch 3 Avalon modules sitting in a shopping cart this past Monday, mumbling, "is it really worth it..."

She didn't pull the trigger.

And that's when I knew.... she was a keeper  Cry
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:32:55 PM

My GF bitched me out last night because she said I wouldn't stop talking about Bitcoin and I wasn't paying enough attention to her and all I did was watch stupid boring charts. Then she reiterated her point that BTC is illegal and will be shutdown eventually (ironic she says that because she is an attorney and has no freaking clue what BTC is).  Then she put her hands on her hips and told me if I was making so much money I needed to take her to a nice dinner or else there was no point being together! lol!

So I am thinking of dumping her? Anyone else ended a relationship over BTC? haha

This, I believe, is what people seem to be missing. Dump her because she's a lawyer.

And..

redundancy is redundant
Very good point. Every time she gets pissed at me she threatens to sue me for something.

- aka The "DigiMan"
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:34:28 PM

She sounds like a snotty, spoiled cunt.

Dump.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:36:09 PM

Funny, this chick also ragged on me for spending time supporting Ron Paul as well. Speaking of Ron Paul, anyone know if he has publicly supported Bitcoin or if he even knows about it?
So... Is it done?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:37:11 PM

He isn't sure about Bitcoin, but he did talk about it. There's a radiocast on the reddit someplace where he was interviewed. He said that Bitcoin is a sign that people are looking for sound money and that much of it is good, but that he's not up to speed on the technical side and can't guarantee it's not a ponzi.

tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:38:26 PM

And..

redundancy is redundant
Very good point. Every time she gets pissed at me she threatens to sue me for something.

Wouldn't it be funny if she sawed off half of you BTC stash Smiley

I'm absolutely going to have a pre-nup before I tied the knot.  Translated:  I'll likely be remaining single.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
BitcoinTate (OP)

DigiByte Founder

View Profile
March 27, 2013, 09:43:39 PM

And..

redundancy is redundant

Wouldn't it be funny if she sawed off half of you BTC stash Smiley

I'm absolutely going to have a pre-nup before I tied the knot.  Translated:  I'll likely be remaining single.

lol! Yeah, we both from day one have agreed if we ever did (now not likely) we would get a prenup. But if she ever tried to take my stash I would take a magnet to my pc right away, drill a hole in my HD and then light it on fire in front of her. Then go did up the flash drive I have buried in the backyard when she is not looking and run! lol! j/k

- aka The "DigiMan"
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: