Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:12:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: March 30th BFL ASIC update  (Read 7660 times)
Bowjob

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:42:16 AM

"I would probably have to commit seppeku if we were delayed until April." -BFL_Josh

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/632-getting-ready-april.html

Josh, you need to restore honor!

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:50:22 AM

"I would probably have to commit seppeku if we were delayed until April." -BFL_Josh

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/632-getting-ready-april.html

Josh, you need to restore honor!

No way dude Smiley

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=158101.msg1676215#msg1676215

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:18:40 AM

Meh...null and void as Josh couldn't spell that day. Undecided

Crystallas (OP)

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:42:49 AM

Just relaying what I saw in the chat. You can check the BFL chat archives for yourself.

The units are working,

this was not said in chat.  no idea if a single unit has been assembled or tested. the last info is about a test rig.

but the last issue is fixing the power drain. Some units are using more than 2x as much power than necessary

they did not state that the issue was with "some units".  it is likely all units. also the figure of 2x was not stated

and they think they know how to fix it very soon.

they did not say they think they know how to fix it, or that they would do so very soon

They have to fix the drain issue, because despite the power consumption still being low, it's causing heat issues.

may cause heat issues.  likely but they never stated there were heat issues, just the possibility

If the power/heat issues still exist with the BitForce Single SC(60GH unit), then BFL will option to ship two  Little Single SC(30GH units) in its place until the problem is resolved.

again, many assumptions. this was not stated.  they said they would ship "purchased hash rate".  many people purchased prior to the spec upgrade, also it may take 3 little singles and a jalapeno to meet that 40 or 60 gh. we don't know and they may not yet either. also they never mentioned existing heat issues

Once this is fixed, units are expected to ship. The rough projection is 2 weeks. In an absolute perfect world, units might ship next week. They can build about 400 units a day. If you're an early pre-order, and have a FPGA unit getting traded up, check the site to find out when.

again, not stated.  this post jumps to a lot of assumptions and could be very misleading. i advise anyone to read the actual quote from the shoutbox instead

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=160584.0

Actually, all of it was said in chat. Going back to the archives, https://forums.butterflylabs.com/vbshout.php?message=&username=BFL&hours=12&from[month]=0&from[day]=&from[year]=0&end[month]=0&end[day]=&end[year]=0&filter[shout]=1&chatroomid=0&orderby=DESC&perpage=100&s=&do=archive&instanceid=1
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:59:28 AM

Its about 40TH worth,give or take  Wink

Even 120-150 watts @ 60GH beats the crap out of 600 watts  Tongue & $6000-8000  Roll Eyes
Dude,

Pls remember "the crap out of 600 watts" Pays the electricity itself with a day or two work for a year:)
What about this crap? I am happy to have that crap in my hands LOL!

Post back here in 6-12 months & let me how much more your earning than me  Tongue

Really,I'm happy Avalon got thiers out  Wink

Dude,

I do not know of others btach 1 others but i do belive 90% of them are delivered yet. Speaking of btc earnings alone  the BFL customers will never be able to catch up in BTC for a life time period Avalons batch 1. I can bet on that and i know i will win but i do not want to wait for that bet for obvious reasons Smiley

Yes,you win & so do about 150 others out of 300 from 1st batch that shipped on Jan 20.Lets see,over 60 days with no tracking info,no email from Avalon,nothing to do but sit & wait,really the best company won.

Both Avalon & BFL have thier issues,but I'm very sure BFL's units will do just fine catching up in the next year or so.

BTW,loshia,you live in China correct?? So,warranty return will be easy & cheap for you,how about those of us in the US ?? Or even in UK,shipping back to China is gonna be pricey,have fun  Cheesy

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 09:11:32 AM
Last edit: March 29, 2013, 09:27:54 AM by CoinHoarder

BFL shipping next week? LOL

I'll believe it when I see it..  Roll Eyes

Also... 400 units a day? ROFL

Avalon can only produce about 600 units a month with their awesome assembly/production equipment.

BFL bought their assembly/production equipment off of Ebay (TRUTH), lol. 400 units a day... that's comedy!

Somehow BFL thinks they will be 2000% more effecient in assembling electronics than the Chinese.  Roll Eyes Cheesy

Must be those unicorn hairs Inaba keeps referring to.  Wink
rini17

Activity: 340

GO http://bitcointa.lk !!! My new nick: jurov

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2013, 09:21:35 AM

Hi all, regardless whether you have BFL order pending, you can join the fray by betting:

http://bitbet.us/bet/307/bfl-will-deliver-asic-devices-before-july-1st/?ref=1EteoRKNYbNhhmFfsKnUSWRF3JUpKCcMnc

or, if you prefer lower risk, buy or short CoinBr difficulty futures.

CoinBr.com: First online MPEx brokerage launched beta! Easy to use interface and reasonable fees. Charts for MPEx stocks: live.coinbr.com * My Blog *
loshia
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 09:24:23 AM
Last edit: March 29, 2013, 09:48:12 AM by loshia

Yes,you win & so do about 150 others out of 300 from 1st batch that shipped on Jan 20.Lets see,over 60 days with no tracking info,no email from Avalon,nothing to do but sit & wait,really the best company won.

Both Avalon & BFL have thier issues,but I'm very sure BFL's units will do just fine catching up in the next year or so.

BTW,loshia,you live in China correct?? So,warranty return will be easy & cheap for you,how about those of us in the US ?? Or even in UK,shipping back to China is gonna be pricey,have fun  Cheesy

Dude,
I do not live in china at all. I agree that Avalon has their issues about "customer relations" also no doubt about it. Buy the way there are a lot of reports from US happy customers also. They got their units. Just to clarify that i really do truly regret about all of BFL customers. For the reference:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=148832.msg1604616#msg1604616

But no hard feelings for you and all BFL defenders here. You guys are just blind and you can not agree with simple facts as they are. And you do know that what you speak is not making any sense in current situation, don't you?

Best

PS: just for the reference how do you think to catch up withh 200+btc at least made by avalon amusing you got BFL units in a month - pretty doubtfully for sure. Just do your math and face the facts

I am talking about batch 1 only. Math may look a little bit different for next Avalon batches though.

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
rupy

Activity: 725
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 09:39:21 AM

So this was expected, if they had 1GH/W we would have known already. But if they deliver 60GH in two singles that draw 60W each, that's ok! 2W per GH is still x20 better than 40W of my FPGA's! Alot better than Avalons x6!

If they need 3 singles to give 60GH at 60W that's still twice as good as Avalon.

Not to mention design, size and noise!

Now it's just a question of delivery dates, nobody will wait for fixed power electronics, but for us that ordered in 2013 we'll get those anyhow.

Good news all around! Now we're just waiting for proof (and maybe proof of delivery) until we release a shitstorm of orders...

BANKBOOK GWT Wallet & no-FIAT Billing API
dave3

Activity: 344

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 09:56:19 AM

With the increase in the value of bitcoins, I wonder if they'll raise their prices after they ship the preorders.
Enigma81

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 10:02:13 AM

Also... 400 units a day? ROFL

Avalon can only produce about 600 units a month with their awesome assembly/production equipment.

BFL bought their assembly/production equipment off of Ebay (TRUTH), lol. 400 units a day... that's comedy!

Speaking from experience, I can tell you that (if they had enough raw chips) building 400 Singles or Jalapenos per day would be no problem at all.  The Singles/Jalapenos are MUCH simpler to assemble than an Avalon.

BFL isn't using their (ebay) gear to build the circuit boards.  They are contracting a CM in (if memory serves) Chicago and then presumably doing the final assembly in house.  Any CM with a decent set of gear could crank out 400 of those PCB's in a few hours.  Real build rate for the PCBA is probably 2 minutes per board for a reasonable automated assembly line.  Dropping the boards and the heat-sink into an enclosure shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, so 400 units per day would be 33 Man-Hours per day for assembly.  That's 4 people.

I'm not suggesting they will or will not manufacture 400 per day, I'm just pointing out that it is nowhere near impossible.

Enigma
Enigma81

Activity: 180

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 10:03:38 AM

With the increase in the value of bitcoins, I wonder if they'll raise their prices after they ship the preorders.

If they really are ready to start shipping, honestly, they'd be pretty foolish not to.  Once manufacturing/shipping starts to catch up the backlog, people will gladly pay much more for what they have to offer.

Enigma
loshia
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 10:25:28 AM

If they really are ready to start shipping, honestly, they'd be pretty foolish not to.  Once manufacturing/shipping starts to catch up the backlog, people will gladly pay much more for what they have to offer.

Enigma
As long as ROI matters for customers in general dude. Everyone decides with his head though. it is just simple equation between Suppliers and customers.
As long as i can see we customers can take a lot Smiley Why - euphoria, greed, wrong math excitement lost of common sense? As long as we take it and buy they will raise the prices for sure. As long as we act as a community they will have to obey to us. But this aint going to happen

mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 10:26:18 AM

Just relaying what I saw in the chat. You can check the BFL chat archives for yourself.

The units are working, but the last issue is fixing the power drain. Some units are using more than 2x as much power than necessary and they think they know how to fix it very soon. They have to fix the drain issue, because despite the power consumption still being low, it's causing heat issues.

If the power/heat issues still exist with the BitForce Single SC(60GH unit), then BFL will option to ship two  Little Single SC(30GH units) in its place until the problem is resolved.

Once this is fixed, units are expected to ship. The rough projection is 2 weeks. In an absolute perfect world, units might ship next week. They can build about 400 units a day. If you're an early pre-order, and have a FPGA unit getting traded up, check the site to find out when.

Take the news or leave it.   I'm not a BFL apologist, but I was curious.

Just a note, if BFL says that in a perfect world they would ship in a week that means that in reality it will be end of April at best but probably end of May, start of June.
mobodick

Activity: 840

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 10:28:10 AM

Enigma
As long as ROI matters for customers in general dude. Everyone decides with his head though. it is just simple equation between Suppliers and customers.
As long as i can see we customers can take a lot Smiley Why - euphoria, greed, wrong math excitement lost of common sense? As long as we take it and buy they will raise the prices for sure. As long as we act as a community they will have to obey to us. But this aint going to happen

It is not a simple equation at all since no product actually moved hands.
There is no supply as of yet.

loshia
Legendary

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 10:30:55 AM
Last edit: March 29, 2013, 11:17:37 AM by loshia

If they really are ready to start shipping, honestly, they'd be pretty foolish not to.  Once manufacturing/shipping starts to catch up the backlog, people will gladly pay much more for what they have to offer.

Enigma

It is not a simple equation at all since no product actually moved hands.
There is no supply as of yet.

Quite true dude. Let us imagine that we all refuse to pay for it all of us no exceptions. What you think is going to happen - they will mine it alone and buy and sell coins alone?
They need us and we need them. But if we unite we will dictate the rules not them or at least the equation will look differently. Simple as that
I am not saying that ASIC manufactures do not deserve a profit not at all. They work hard for it and same applies for us to earn money for living.

are yoo going to pay 100K just because there is no supply? or 10K? or how much actually? Just because there is no supply? The only thing which you have to pay for no matter what is your health and you have no option there no supply/demand bulshit . In all other case there is always a choice always even though there is no supply as long as your life does not depend on it

PulsedMedia

Activity: 402

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2013, 11:29:48 AM

All good and fine, but it's 29th of March now and it was 28th of March their time when they made an update Smiley

Josh also promised a video.
I know that i'm going to order a few more the moment i get confirmation of any product shipped & received.

http://PulsedMedia.com - Semidedicated rTorrent seedboxes
zedicus
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2013, 11:35:09 AM

All good and fine, but it's 29th of March now and it was 28th of March their time when they made an update Smiley

Josh also promised a video.
I know that i'm going to order a few more the moment i get confirmation of any product shipped & received.

Scroll down till you see clint east wood!

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=147300.100

Re-consider until you here they are accepting the fpga's trade-in!

Must back away from they chair !!

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
marra

Activity: 189

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 12:01:29 PM

haha, I knew it, the singles will be at 130w... and the life span of those units, my guess, at that density of PCB design, hmmm, a week, or a month top...

perhaps even less... and why no video of a working product... I think when they get the machine on it starts to melt...

$1 = 1 satoshi  ☰☱☲☳☷☷☳☲☰☰☱☲☳☷☳☲☰☰☱☲☲☳☷☷☳☲☳☱☷☷☳☲☰☰☰☰☲☳☳
☳☲☰☰☱☲☳☷☷☳☲☰☰☱☲☳☲☳☷☷☳☳☳☲☰☰☱☲☲☳☷☷☳☳☲☰☰☱☲☲☳☷☷☳☰☱☲☳
Frizz23

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 12:08:03 PM

haha, I knew it, the singles will be at 130w... and the life span of those units, my guess, at that density of PCB design, hmmm, a week, or a month top...

perhaps even less... and why no video of a working product... I think when they get the machine on it starts to melt...

Batch #1 & #2 customers - you are looking forward to something like this:

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: