Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:19:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: March 30th BFL ASIC update  (Read 7661 times)
jedunnigan

Activity: 279
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:29:39 PM

First batch is 5000 chips, first order # for august maybe 3800, starting from 1600. Of course it won't be enough to cover june-23 till july-23 orders, no way an august one will be part of it.
If you ordered a big single they might do 2x little singles since the power limit is per board, not per chip. The chips run at full spec without a problem, the problem seems to be with the boards or power regulators. Same for the mini-rig's setup, if they don't find the culprit/a fix soon, they will send 2 mini-rigs, same total number of chips, but double amount of boards, cases, psu.

We've learned today that the first batch is 1000 chips. They don't even have the third wafer yet, and the first one was destroyed for nothing.

They are rolling 4 wafers off the line "shortly." They may even be ready now [assuming you take his word for it].

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1b8hvt/bfl_josh_updates_on_asic_status_full_transcript/

Yeah, and now all that's needed is shipping, dicing, shipping, bumping, shipping, packaging, shipping, mounting, shipping, and testing. it only took 3 months last time!

Quote from: Josh on march 13
Soon. The first 5k chips will be arriving at the assembly house on Thursday, the second set about a week or week and a half after that, and the then rest of the chips another week or week and a half after that. That's the current timeline, and as usual, subject to change.

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/1300-when-bulk-first-75-wafers-will-delivered-bfl.html#post18270

Caught in a lie. At this point, had they only processed 1 wafer, josh would have known about it and wouldn't have said 5k chips.

Just playing devil's advocate here.... but that post you link to does kind of line up with what he said in the chat last night (save for ~2 week delay, which he does say is possibility in your link).

No it doesn't, not at all. His post suggests 5 wafers were bumped and packaged. The second set of 6 wafers would take another week, and the balance of 75 wafers the week after that. In the chat, we found out 1 wafer was bumped and packaged, they are still waiting on the other 4 wafers out of the first batch, and who knows what's going on with the second batch of 6 wafers. He lied, either then when all along he suggested 5 wafers were being processed, or now when he is saying wafers 3-6 are currently being finished.

Let me take one more shot at this correct me if I'm wrong

The first 5k chips will be arriving at the assembly house on Thursday
hat's the current timeline, and as usual, subject to change.
So in theory they could have been bumped and packaged, but not 100%. I assume they get shipped from Asia, so if he said that two days until arrival they were probably already shipped; so your right. He either lied about the wafers arrival date (earlier than expected) or they hadn't shipped yet and he said they did. Either way iffy. Thnks for the breakdown

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:42:10 PM

If the power/heat issues still exist with the BitForce Single SC(60GH unit), then BFL will option to ship two  Little Single SC(30GH units) in its place until the problem is resolved.

They will ship two full SC's that have been downclocked to total 60Gh.  all chips will be on each board.

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
Frankie Delaney

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:46:11 PM

So in theory they could have been bumped and packaged, but not 100%. I assume they get shipped from Asia, so if he said that two days until arrival they were probably already shipped; so your right. He either lied about the wafers arrival date (earlier than expected) or they hadn't shipped yet and he said they did. Either way iffy. Thnks for the breakdown

No, for the last 2 months, josh has been talking as if all 5 wafers out of the first group were processed as one batch, which took 6 weeks to go from wafer to chips. He then suggested the second group of 6 wafers would ship 1-1.5 weeks after that.

The chat log last night now shows that 1 wafer was processed in that 6 weeks, and they are now finishing the remaining 4 wafers out of batch 1, with the 6 wafers from batch 2 nowhere in sight, and possibly delayed by a needed chip revision.

What this suggest to me is that they didn't actually order their chips when they said they did, and that what they recieved from the packaging facility was actually their engineering samples.

To compound things, josh has constantly shit on avalon for only shipping 300 units, saying BFL can ship 300 per day, today we learn BFL only has at most 1000 finished chips which can't even produce 300 units, unless 200 of them are jalapenos which due to the power usage of the current chips, will only be able to hash at 1-2 mh/s
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:52:57 PM

5000X8=40TH, that's all added hash power if all of the first set of 6 wafers delivered

dani

Activity: 525
Merit: 500

..yeah

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:55:02 PM

I don't check on BFL stuff on a regular basis, but I know those cowboys have some chips for a couple of days etc. What do you guys think are the chances to get anything within the next two months, when ordering today?

Im curious, I would even think about a jalapeno, just for the luls.

Hai
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 07:59:13 PM

I don't check on BFL stuff on a regular basis, but I know those cowboys have some chips for a couple of days etc. What do you guys think are the chances to get anything within the next two months, when ordering today?

The chances are clearly zero. By their own admissions have one wafer of inconsistently performing chips after all these months.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:01:31 PM

They will do a chip classification: Higher power consumption chips go into jalapeno and mini single, lower ones go into full single, so the load on PCB will be contained

Frankie Delaney

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:06:18 PM

They will do a chip classification: Higher power consumption chips go into jalapeno and mini single, lower ones go into full single, so the load on PCB will be contained

But the jalapeno is powered by 2 USB plugs. at 2.5 watts each, that's 5 watts. If the worst chips are 3 times the target power usage, that would mean a 4.5GH/s jalapeno would need 13.5 watts, or need to be underclocked to well under 2GH/s
jedunnigan

Activity: 279

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:10:09 PM

No, for the last 2 months, josh has been talking as if all 5 wafers out of the first group were processed as one batch, which took 6 weeks to go from wafer to chips. He then suggested the second group of 6 wafers would ship 1-1.5 weeks after that.

The chat log last night now shows that 1 wafer was processed in that 6 weeks, and they are now finishing the remaining 4 wafers out of batch 1, with the 6 wafers from batch 2 nowhere in sight, and possibly delayed by a needed chip revision.

What this suggest to me is that they didn't actually order their chips when they said they did, and that what they recieved from the packaging facility was actually their engineering samples.

To compound things, josh has constantly shit on avalon for only shipping 300 units, saying BFL can ship 300 per day, today we learn BFL only has at most 1000 finished chips which can't even produce 300 units, unless 200 of them are jalapenos which due to the power usage of the current chips, will only be able to hash at 1-2 mh/s

The chances are clearly zero. By their own admissions have one wafer of inconsistently performing chips after all these months.

Very troubling.
dani

Activity: 525

..yeah

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:14:33 PM

Why are chances zero? I don't know, if they want to ship within 2 weeks (and I don't think thats gonna happen, even if they are close to final (*IF*)), they should ship anytime soon. You think because they don't have good chips by now they wont be able to ship in like 2 months? Hm, not sure about that. Btw no trolling intended

Hai
Frankie Delaney

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:18:11 PM

Why are chances zero? I don't know, if they want to ship within 2 weeks (and I don't think thats gonna happen, even if they are close to final (*IF*)), they should ship anytime soon. You think because they don't have good chips by now they wont be able to ship in like 2 months? Hm, not sure about that. Btw no trolling intended

They have a massive backlog of orders. ordering now would put you at the end of the list, with delivery still more than 2 months out. so even if they do have good chips in 2 months, they would be going to orders placed in september or october, not april.
creativex

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:25:34 PM

They cannot ship what they do not have. Even if they commenced shipping on Monday(not a chance), they could only fill a tiny number of orders with the few chips they have on hand. Then they'd have to wait for the fab to finish their few remaining first batch wafers, which would still need to be bumped and packaged. Although BFL is vague about how many orders they have, I doubt even their larger 3rd batch of chips would cover an order placed today.

NEO2012

Activity: 162
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 08:28:05 PM

Very troubling.

LIKE USUALLY SLIMMY ASS SNAKE JOSH DIDNT MAKE IT CLEAR

NOT ONLY THEY CONSUME DUBLE POWER
THEY CONSUME DUBLE POWER AT HALF THE SPEED

SO THEY WILL HAVE TO SEND U 3  JELLYS TO GET 4,5 EACH DRAWING 5W

IF U ORDERD SC SINGLE 60GH
U WILL GET AT LEAST 2 IF NOT 3 EACH DRAWING UP TO 200 W

AKA 500-600  LIKE A AVALON
Miner99er

Activity: 310

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 09:21:54 PM

Very troubling.

LIKE USUALLY SLIMMY ASS SNAKE JOSH DIDNT MAKE IT CLEAR

NOT ONLY THEY CONSUME DUBLE POWER
THEY CONSUME DUBLE POWER AT HALF THE SPEED

SO THEY WILL HAVE TO SEND U 3  JELLYS TO GET 4,5 EACH DRAWING 5W

IF U ORDERD SC SINGLE 60GH
U WILL GET AT LEAST 2 IF NOT 3 EACH DRAWING UP TO 200 W

AKA 500-600  LIKE A AVALON

Yo dawg, caps lock is cruise control for cool bro.

Anyway, at full speed they're pulling 193w. They're working to pull that number down to 120w or less. That's what i get from the transcript.

No 3 time the power at half the speed... calm yourself down turbo.

If they can get a Single down to 120w then 30Gh will be 60w and the jalapeno will unfortunately only do 2.5w each.. with increasing speed and ROI the better they can pull the power envelope down. If they send you two Jalapenos well, then you're ahead of the game anyway. SOMEONE will pull one apart and figure out how to overclock that thing, USB power be damned, we're get it some juice.

Bought From Yochdogx2, Alexmat, SgtSpike, David_Benz, Beaflag VonRathburg, Slaveindebt, Cptmooseinc, Coinhoarder

Donations? SURE! 16foPr8FAjYXKL8ApQAzihnigXm1qNhi8Q

http://pyramining.com/referral/yfab9med7   
http://pyramining.com/referral/ahmc7en6z
http://pyramining.com/referral/pagndq4xc   
http://pyramining.com/referral/79b2gmrzx
http://pyramining.com/referral/e2ghz4asy
Tehfiend

Activity: 491
Merit: 514

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 09:29:55 PM

Josh just posted another update here:

I want to clarify the above post, as there is some potential confusion. We are not shipping yet. We plan on shipping possibly by the end of next week, but I will update on a shipping schedule as soon as I have more definitive information with regards to that.
creativex

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 09:35:51 PM

Josh just posted another update here:

I want to clarify the above post, as there is some potential confusion. We are not shipping yet. We plan on shipping possibly by the end of next week, but I will update on a shipping schedule as soon as I have more definitive information with regards to that.

IOW...just two moar weeks!

NEO2012

Activity: 162

View Profile
March 29, 2013, 09:38:03 PM

Just relaying what I saw in the chat. You can check the BFL chat archives for yourself.

The units are working, but the last issue is fixing the power drain. Some units are using more than 2x as much power than necessary and they think they know how to fix it very soon. They have to fix the drain issue, because despite the power consumption still being low, it's causing heat issues.

If the power/heat issues still exist with the BitForce Single SC(60GH unit), then BFL will option to ship two  Little Single SC(30GH units) in its place until the problem is resolved.

Once this is fixed, units are expected to ship. The rough projection is 2 weeks. In an absolute perfect world, units might ship next week. They can build about 400 units a day. If you're an early pre-order, and have a FPGA unit getting traded up, check the site to find out when.

Take the news or leave it.   I'm not a BFL apologist, but I was curious.

what power drain dude? did u looked at taht board?  whats draining

thats josh bfl bulshit  aka introducing the idea there crap eats as much power as avalaon
with heatsink and fan not designed for it

josh is jsut the company snake who hises  crap
The-Real-Link

Activity: 533

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 08:38:45 AM

Neo, did you see the video?  It's right there.  Some part of the circuitry is drawing more power than it should be.

I wonder for a Jalapeno if they'll be including a wall adapter if the power goes signficantly over spec.  That or downclock them and give you two.

Otherwise from the extended reddit post and latest updates what was posted about the power draw seemed right  If you do NOT contact BFL, you'll receive your unit with higher power draw and slower speeds but of course more physical units to equal the hashing power you purchased.  If you explicitly contact them to delay your order, your unit is withheld to be shipped once the power issues are figured out.

From Grnbrg's Twitter:
https://twitter.com/BFL_News

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C4bgho5JSI

Oh Loaded, who art up in Mt. Gox, hallowed be thy name!  Thy dollars rain, thy will be done, on BTCUSD.  Give us this day our daily 10% 30%, and forgive the bears, as we have bought their bitcoins.  And lead us into quadruple digits
mezzomix
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1252

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:24:08 PM

All the bad news sounds like their current wafer run is not able to run the planed mining products. I think we should be prepared that BFL will need a redesign and new masks. That will be another 8-12 weeks until we see the fixed silicon - best case if they are fast. With testing I expect another 4-6 months if everything works perfect.

Refund requested a few weeks ago - no response from BFL yet.
witherworth

Activity: 155

View Profile
March 30, 2013, 10:49:07 PM

All the bad news sounds like their current wafer run is not able to run the planed mining products. I think we should be prepared that BFL will need a redesign and new masks. That will be another 8-12 weeks until we see the fixed silicon - best case if they are fast. With testing I expect another 4-6 months if everything works perfect.

Refund requested a few weeks ago - no response from BFL yet.

From what I read, I thought the chips were fine, and it was their PCB that needs to be redesigned and fixed. Supposedly a new one has already been designed and completed, but I doubt that much. However, they should be doinmore tests over the next week or 2, and should hopefully fix a few things. Till then, MOAR FPGAs!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: