Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:01:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: do i have to pay tax on bitcoins ?  (Read 27722 times)
Carmen01

Activity: 294
Merit: 101

Streamity Decentralized cryptocurrency exchange

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 09:42:35 PM

No we dont pay tax here even we do a lot of transaction i think no government regulate the digital money here.See the blockchain transaction day by day the transaction is so fast but you need to pay a fee but no tax history.Even we dont have tax we can continue like this because its good now

No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
susila_bai

Activity: 1260
Merit: 524

View Profile
November 21, 2017, 09:45:48 PM

Here in my country still their is not law for Bitcoin but still i just show all transaction and pay tax the way stock exchange trading tax law is their . In some situation i just use it as investment returns and pay tax according to it.
janah

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 01:03:07 PM

Bitcoin is not a fiat currency with legal tender status in any jurisdiction, but often tax liability accrues regardless of the medium used. There is a wide variety of legislation in many different jurisdictions which could cause income, sales, payroll, capital gains, or some other form of tax liability to arise with Bitcoin.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 22, 2017, 03:03:49 PM

Bitcoin is not a fiat currency with legal tender status in any jurisdiction, but often tax liability accrues regardless of the medium used. There is a wide variety of legislation in many different jurisdictions which could cause income, sales, payroll, capital gains, or some other form of tax liability to arise with Bitcoin.
That's a good answer. Bottom line, there is a near certainty that whatever government you live under you owe taxes. The only exception I am aware of is only a maybe. Maybe if you live in Dubai you can be tax free, MAYBE.

Reading most of these responses it is clear that most people haven't a clue about what taxes are or how they work. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Coinbeauty

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 08:17:40 AM

I think if our government does not declare bitcoins as a legal property then we do not need to pay tax on it.
Alwaysbitcoin

Activity: 2

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 09:47:32 AM

Yes, It is possible to pay tax on bitcoins if it is legally authorized by the government of your country.
Megavolt220

Activity: 19

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 10:23:21 AM

Yes, It is possible to pay tax on bitcoins if it is legally authorized by the government of your country.

Even if allowed, I think it all depends on the person to pay him or not. There are many ways how not to pay taxes with cryptocurrencies.
Alexoxyevwii

Activity: 30

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 08:57:20 AM

In our country bitcoin is not taxed. People just do the mining at home. Before imposing operations with bitcoin tax, it is necessary to give this crypto currency some official legal status in our country.
smith136

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 10:56:55 AM

Here in the Philippines, the government does not hold any control over Bitcoin which is why it is not taxable. The wallet that I also use does not have a transaction fee when I want to send Bitcoin to someone who has the same wallet. When I want it converted to fiat however, a minimal fee applies but I noticed that it is just this certain bank that requires that fee. Other banks that is in partnership with the app does not have any transaction fee for withdrawing.

It is not because the government does not control Bitcoin that you are not liable for any taxes it is because Philippines has a weak taxation system. Once you converted your bitcoin into a fiat currency that should be considered as an income and is subject to income tax, if you are going to declare in on your income tax return then you need to pay for the taxes but since Philippines has a weak monitoring on income taxes you can just avoid declaring it.

Income taxes in online business can not be accurately measured, but are still under study in many countries. The only thing that can be imposed is a transaction tax of each crypto currency linked to fiat. they will not be able to impose a tax on the circulation of transactions between cryptocurrency because it has nothing to do with fiat activity.

It would also depends on which country you are. And i think taxes are just charged when you convert it to your own currency. Transaction fee be the tax but i guess that is just for the miners to deal with your transaction.
Agreed, buying bitcoins most probably only cost you some fees but when you exchange the bitcoins into fiat and there is a gain between the purchase date and sold this is when the tax comes in.
Not all countries taxed the bitcoins yet so for OP you should go to your local tax branch or authority to ask questions regarding tax laws on bitcoin in your country.

BlackRock

Activity: 294
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 01:24:59 PM

You only have to pay tax on Bitcoin when it's legalized in your country or atleast holding notcoin or the bitcoin transactions are not termed as illegal. As in my country, Bitcoin is not legalized but still not banned so I still can exchange Bitcoin into cash and don't have to pay tax,if I am not selling bitcoin and making profit. But now I still have to exchange Bitcoin into cash if I wanna buy anything so I hope that Bitcoin will be legalized in my country that I can easily use Bitcoin to buy everything I want online directly

Zedpastin

Activity: 363
Merit: 323

Infographics save lives

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 01:47:28 PM

You only have to pay tax on Bitcoin when it's legalized in your country or atleast holding notcoin or the bitcoin transactions are not termed as illegal. As in my country, Bitcoin is not legalized but still not banned so I still can exchange Bitcoin into cash and don't have to pay tax,if I am not selling bitcoin and making profit. But now I still have to exchange Bitcoin into cash if I wanna buy anything so I hope that Bitcoin will be legalized in my country that I can easily use Bitcoin to buy everything I want online directly

That's entirely false. It doesn't have to be legalized if you are earning a regular income through bitcoin or any other digital goods then you are susceptible to capital gains which you need to declare. Depending on the governments view on Bitcoin as it's different in many countries depends on whether you need to pay tax or not.

Some countries only tax it once it's been converted to fiat currencies.
Macadonian

Activity: 467
Merit: 578

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 01:50:50 PM

You should probably consult a lawyer/accountant about this depending on the country you live in then you might find that gains are indeed taxable just like the others who have said this previously in the thread. It's better to check than to find out later down the line and you could face some big fines.
gurdeep4chat

Activity: 4

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 03:41:21 PM

The concept of Bitcoin was to tell the world loud n clear that we do not require regulatory bodies to curtail our wish to transact with one another. If Bitcoin comes under the ambit of taxation then the basic purpose of cryptocurrency gets defeated !!
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 04:02:44 PM

I think if our government does not declare bitcoins as a legal property then we do not need to pay tax on it.

The concept of Bitcoin was to tell the world loud n clear that we do not require regulatory bodies to curtail our wish to transact with one another. If Bitcoin comes under the ambit of taxation then the basic purpose of cryptocurrency gets defeated !!

Nope. These are these are all wrong. Bitcoin is fair money but absolutely subject to taxation. It does not matter if your gov "recognizes" bitcoin. it does not matter if they have never heard of bitcoin. Taxes are leveled on ANY GROWTH IN VALUE.
If you don't like taxes then petition your government. Bitcoin is not party to the laws of your jurisdiction but like everything else if you fail to pay tax then you are sticking the bill to your neighbor and should be prosecuted.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
officerpants

Activity: 28
Merit: 1

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 04:32:22 PM
Last edit: November 27, 2017, 05:12:30 PM by officerpants
Merited by RodeoX (1)

If you're in the US, you have to be careful about all your trades, from USD to BTC and back, as well as between altcoins (and from BTC -> altcoins, basically, every transaction could be tax-liable in the US).

The IRS is wishy-washy on what BitCoin is, and both considers it a security and a property, and could decide to tax as both, depending on what you do with it.  If you hold onto it for > 1 year, you could pay capital gains taxes when you cash out.  If you trade it on exchanges, you could be liable for each gain/loss from each trade.  If you use it to buy property (order a pizza) it could be considered basic income.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/tax-payments/tax-tips-for-bitcoin-and-virtual-currency/L1ZOgU00q

https://www.investopedia.com/university/definitive-bitcoin-tax-guide-dont-let-irs-snow-you/

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-virtual-currency-guidance
hassan.shakeel.rajpoot

Activity: 32
Merit: 9

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 05:06:10 PM

so i wanna know do i realy have to pay taxes on bitcoins and does my gov recognize bitcoins as my property and do i have to care about any legal action by  gov on my bitcoin property ?
There's no such tax applicable on bitcoin as if now. Since this cryptocurrency is still unknown to many and not used by many, and also, it has not caught up by the sites of governments or law. It may have, since it is emerging and the rise in price of BTC. Only transaction charges are applicable on bitcoin of you are selling it or buying it. Online wallets don't charge transaction fees.
FlatTime

Activity: 83

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 05:39:42 PM

Its not legal in the UK but pretty sure you have to pay tax on it just like any other asset. Please correct me if im wrong.
barbenoire123

Activity: 126

Solution for reliable global money transactions

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 09:44:27 PM

No, there is no tax to pay a transaction between two bitcoin ports but you pay transaction fees which will be different from one port to another
coin_1122

Activity: 1134
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 05:21:11 AM

Off course many government have not recognize the Bitcoin so there is no need of paying taxes. Once they start legalizing they will start sending notices to us, so it is always good to pay taxes before only in order to be free from the government.
Prinox2

Activity: 182

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 07:00:38 AM

so i wanna know do i realy have to pay taxes on bitcoins and does my gov recognize bitcoins as my property and do i have to care about any legal action by  gov on my bitcoin property ?
for now no tax attached....who know if gov. finally adopt the usage of bitcoinBTC, they might attach tax into it as her terms and and condition for acceptance.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: