Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:51:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Somebody is trying to steal batch 1 Avalon shippments from DHL!  (Read 12504 times)
shibaji

Activity: 308
Merit: 102

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:42:05 PM

People, no need to be rude. Let's just sum up the facts:

- thieves are trying to steal Avalon's from DHL, only a name + zip code is needed to change shipment address
- some say that customers are to blame for revealing too much info. Well, a lot of trusted members in this forum are known by the real names, including developers, and without a tracking number thieves could randonmly check on people to see if they have an Avalon on the way. This can become a recurrent problem because of the current value of the hardware. I'm sure everybody agrees that this is not nice and should be avoided

I will also give you another example:

CoinHoarder ordered 7 Avalons in this thread

He has done private transactions with members of this forums (me, for example), he handed over personal ID, etc. Which is pretty normal when you enter into finantial transactions with somebody.... But do you understand where I'm getting at? Dozens of users of this forums are in the same situation. Tthere is an open security breach, which can be avoided providing a tracking number at shipment or making sure that the packages are only delivered to the original address.

Other solutions may apply, let's just try to find a reasonable solution.

+1000

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
A Meteorite

Activity: 120
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 07:44:18 PM

why we use such a screwed work flow?

1, save shipment cost.
2, if we go to DHL directly, they didn't accept this device, there is PSU and FANs in it, which is contraband. only these agent can send them out by doing some bribery work. if we tell them we are not satisfied, they simply ask us to deal with DHL ourself instead.

fuck
I, for one, would be willing to pay more BTC if that were an issue. I already paid near $200 for shipment, what's another 1 BTC?

If it were an option, I would be the first to choose to have my Avalon shipped without fans (I already opted for no power supply) - if this meant that it would be handed off to DHL directly instead of through a proxy (so it'd be quicker) and I received a tracking number the moment it was shipped. I already have high quality Delta fans that I use in my GPU miner that I'd retire so this is a no-brainer. Can something like this be offered?

I don't know if you've looked at the self-reported loss in the other threads, but it looks like 30% of batch 1 Avalons have still not made it out to customers. This is a significant number. While not everyone who ordered an Avalon is on the forums, that is more than concerning. I'm sure a prompt tracking number would have prevented these issues and I urge you guys to look at solutions for batch 2 and 3. If what it takes is a little more BTC or losing the fans, I'd be all for it, at least for my order. There is a problem but there are solutions so take a look at what people are saying - I am confident that there is a solution that will work for everyone.

BTC: 1MeTeorfxZNsY6gJDBtrF8JA8KEv6SKGUmLTC: Lejxgou6hUkjupF6RoruxJGG9AQ7t3ovYt
BitSyncom

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:54:28 PM

few people however, like OP can not wait and are impatient, then something like this happens.

Not the best sentence. If he wouldnt have been impatient the avalon would simply have been stolen. And when you give the package to the post you get the tracking number in this moment. If the trackingid didnt arrive then i only can think of that an employee didnt collect it carefully to give it to you.

Unfortuanately, Bitsyncom used a forwarding service to save money on shipping. It is this random forwarder that actually ships them with DHL. Bitsyncom chose a forwarder that won't provide him with the tracking numbers, so he can't provide them to his customers.

Bitsyncom, stop using that forwarding service!

We already switched. part of growing pains, not that I expect any body here to understand.

A Meteorite

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 07:57:21 PM

Unfortuanately, Bitsyncom used a forwarding service to save money on shipping. It is this random forwarder that actually ships them with DHL. Bitsyncom chose a forwarder that won't provide him with the tracking numbers, so he can't provide them to his customers.

We already switched. part of growing pains, not that I expect any body here to understand.
Does this mean orders will be shipped out quicker and with tracking numbers right away for batch 2 and 3? This is all we want to know really.

BitSyncom

Activity: 336
Merit: 251

Avalon ASIC Team

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 07:59:53 PM

Does this mean orders will be shipped out quicker and with tracking numbers right away for batch 2 and 3? This is all we want to know really.

I think it is safe to assume that by default simply because we don't have a chinese new year in between and the Customs backlog that came along with it to deal with. I think we just pulled their leg too much earlier during pre-CNY to get these units out now they are just not being too helpful.

A Meteorite

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 08:04:15 PM

I think it is safe to assume that by default simply because we don't have a chinese new year in between and the custom backlog that came along with it to deal with. I think we just pulled their leg too much earlier during pre-CNY to get these units out now they are just not being too helpful.
This is good to hear - I had no idea Chinese New Year was such a big thing or would have an impact like that. I really hope as a batch 3 customer things will go smoothly for everyone in the upcoming batches and we won't see issues like we saw for some in batch 1.

Fullsurface

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 08:08:22 PM

few people however, like OP can not wait and are impatient, then something like this happens.

Not the best sentence. If he wouldnt have been impatient the avalon would simply have been stolen. And when you give the package to the post you get the tracking number in this moment. If the trackingid didnt arrive then i only can think of that an employee didnt collect it carefully to give it to you.

nice but this still doesn't take care of your first group of customers that that need  tending 2
get on the mining bandwagon so they can compete 4 the next batch . There the ones that sponsored the whole batch 2 and batch 3
Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 08:17:50 PM

It all comes as part of responsibility of doing a business. I am actually thankful to you guys for doing this, but being polite is a big part of doing business. It all depends on how you want to be remembered in Bitcoin history.

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 08:22:57 PM

Great to hear!

Buy & Hold
SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1082

Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2013, 08:23:36 PM

Sounds good if you try another solution.

But these agents are another person that would know the recipients address and, if its really so easy to change the recipient, could change it via phone or email. Im not sure what i should think of these agents when you guys say that dhl cant ship it but this agent somehow gets dhl to ship them. I mean is it forbidden or not? If its forbidden then how can he do this legally?
On the other hand i dont see why it should be forbidden. Ready made PCs are sent out daily. And they have a psu included. Is it maybe something with insurance?

Then... this agent gets the tracking number in the moment he gives it to dhl. That means if he doesnt give it to avalon its simply bad service. I mean you have to call him and ask? What self employed person is this?

I chose shipping with EMS. Im not sure what this is but i hope its not a company where someone can call and change the address, without any proof that he is the real one, easily.

Im not sure but in my country dhl can come to ones house and pick up the package. Doesnt that work for you? It sounds easier and safer than giving it to an agent that ships it then. And i wonder anyway where the savings in shipping comes from. He works for this and is still cheaper than the normal shipping? Where is this agent paid from? I would like to know his business model. Really strange this all.
Plus the savings in shipping. Im not sure how much was charged for shipping of batch 1... but i assume it can easily pay any shipment.

I really really hope you guys find a solution.

What i would like to know is the legal status. I mean avalon could say that they shipped and could proof that it reached its target. If its not the same address then avalon cant change this because in theory only the receiver should be able to change that address. I think the legal problem would lie in dhl then because they let some random person change the address. But even when you would go to court you could only get back your investment if any. Thats a pain in the ass when you know you could earn way more when you got the machine.
In my opinion... if dhl is so insecure it cant be used. Or at least it could only be used if there isnt another solution for the target country.

Please ALWAYS contact me through bitcointalk pm before sending someone coins.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:01:27 PM

Guys, shipping those things all over the world is not so simple as some of you seems to think.

Problem acknowledged, they are workin on it: enough said

And remember this is a public forum before posting.

kpriess

Activity: 415
Merit: 250

Money is the root of all evil.

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 09:13:33 PM

I wouldn't report it, I would dress red/yellow and pay him/her a visit in a week or two..
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 02, 2013, 10:06:46 PM

Sounds good if you try another solution.

But these agents are another person that would know the recipients address and, if its really so easy to change the recipient, could change it via phone or email. Im not sure what i should think of these agents when you guys say that dhl cant ship it but this agent somehow gets dhl to ship them. I mean is it forbidden or not? If its forbidden then how can he do this legally?
On the other hand i dont see why it should be forbidden. Ready made PCs are sent out daily. And they have a psu included. Is it maybe something with insurance?

Then... this agent gets the tracking number in the moment he gives it to dhl. That means if he doesnt give it to avalon its simply bad service. I mean you have to call him and ask? What self employed person is this?

I chose shipping with EMS. Im not sure what this is but i hope its not a company where someone can call and change the address, without any proof that he is the real one, easily.

Im not sure but in my country dhl can come to ones house and pick up the package. Doesnt that work for you? It sounds easier and safer than giving it to an agent that ships it then. And i wonder anyway where the savings in shipping comes from. He works for this and is still cheaper than the normal shipping? Where is this agent paid from? I would like to know his business model. Really strange this all.
Plus the savings in shipping. Im not sure how much was charged for shipping of batch 1... but i assume it can easily pay any shipment.

I really really hope you guys find a solution.

What i would like to know is the legal status. I mean avalon could say that they shipped and could proof that it reached its target. If its not the same address then avalon cant change this because in theory only the receiver should be able to change that address. I think the legal problem would lie in dhl then because they let some random person change the address. But even when you would go to court you could only get back your investment if any. Thats a pain in the ass when you know you could earn way more when you got the machine.
In my opinion... if dhl is so insecure it cant be used. Or at least it could only be used if there isnt another solution for the target country.

EMS is China Post.   Then they hand it off to USPS (or Canada Post) or whatever country you are in.  EMS is usually faster than other couriers out of china.   But china has a LOT of holidays where people just do not work and even the government shuts down.

SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 12:19:58 AM

EMS is China Post.   Then they hand it off to USPS (or Canada Post) or whatever country you are in.  EMS is usually faster than other couriers out of china.   But china has a LOT of holidays where people just do not work and even the government shuts down.

Thanks. I hope they have more strict policy for changing receiving address.

Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:22:47 AM

Yes, EMS has great security, it is like google's (impossible to contact for help).

CoinHoarder
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026

In Cryptocoins I Trust

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 12:29:35 AM

I trust that the Avalon team has learned from Batch 1 that tracking numbers are needed.

No need to beat a dead horse.
SebastianJu
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 03, 2013, 12:30:34 AM

Yes, EMS has great security, it is like google's (impossible to contact for help).

*lol* Bad support makes it secure... great... ok... i would like to use it... except they have a problem with vanishing packages at their post stations. Some shipment provider does have such problem...

Aseras

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 01:45:22 AM

EMS is your local post office. They can look up packages in EMS system. I regularly receive EMS from India and China and many other countries. All of ours are sent registered mail, it is essentially under lock and key. You need to make friends with your post master.
augustocroppo
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 04:10:11 AM

why we use such a screwed work flow?

1, save shipment cost.
2, if we go to DHL directly, they didn't accept this device, there is PSU and FANs in it, which is contraband. only these agent can send them out by doing some bribery work. if we tell them we are not satisfied, they simply ask us to deal with DHL ourself instead.

fuck

I suspect that you are not telling the truth here. China's DHL custom support states that they do not have any policy to determine what products can be export from China, but they follow the government regulation.

In accordance with China's customs, all you have to do is just to declare what you are exporting if you have a CR (Custom Registration) code.

That means DHL cannot directly refuse to ship the Avalon product if you declare to China's customs what you are doing.

Perhaps that explains why you need an additional agent paid by bribery to export your products. You are exporting electronic products without to declare to China's customs. Who possibly declares is your agent and that is why you are so persistent to not provide a tracking number for your customers.

http://www.dhl.com/en/express/shipping/customs_support/customs_paperwork/customs_guidelines_china.html

All importers and exporters in China are required to register with Customs authorities for an importer or exporter Customs Registration code (CR Code), or engage with an agent who has the CR Code and is authorized to act as the importer or exporter of record for their shipments. This CR code is to be indicated on customs declaration forms of all shipments, except for documents and personal effects. We encourage you to relay the urgency of these requirements (for both HS Codes and CR Codes) to your trading partners in China, as shipments being imported into/exported out of China may be placed on hold by Customs authorities until this information is available.

http://www.ec.cn/trade/declaration.shtml

Customs Export Declaration

In many countries, export shipments valued below a minimum requirement may not require a formal customs declaration. The purposes of customs export declaration are to verify and regulate outgoing cargo (including re-export goods) and to collect the statistical data (of the product, quantity, value, and destination) for export references.

(...)

The exporter normally must sign an authorization paper (the power of attorney) allowing the customs broker or the forwarder to handle the customs declaration.

In certain countries, exporters may prepare the customs declaration forms by themselves and let the customs broker handle the rest of the customs formalities.

From:   CNDGF Webenquiry (DHL CN) (CNDGF.Webenquiry@dhl.com)
Sent:   Wednesday, April 03, 2013 1:22:12 AM
To:   augustocroppo@hotmail.co.uk (augustocroppo@hotmail.co.uk)
Good day.

DHL have no right to determine which cargoes can be exported from China. We always follow the policy in China.

Best Regards

Zonghua Wang

Telesales

Marketing & Sales

DHL Global Forwarding(China) Co.,Ltd.

Orient International Finance Plaza

No.318 South Zhongshan Road

200010,Shanghai,China
Minor Miner
Legendary

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
April 03, 2013, 05:21:37 AM

EMS is your local post office. They can look up packages in EMS system. I regularly receive EMS from India and China and many other countries. All of ours are sent registered mail, it is essentially under lock and key. You need to make friends with your post master.

No, EMS is NOT your local post office.   It is the name used by each countries post office for their Express Mail Service.   Since these shipments originate in CHINA, it is China post UNTIL it is handed to customs in your home country, then you can track it.   If you track it before all you see is outbound from XXXX.    And, please do go and try to call China Post and say you are Joe Blow from XXXXX zip code and do you have a package coming my way.   Let me know how that works for you.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: